• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Firmware 2.50 Suspend/Resume Coming March/April

Carn82

I was talking to a friend last night about the standby/resume feature with the upcoming firmware release.

We were thinking it might not works with games like Destiny where you actually need to login, go through servers to pull down data/authenticate...etc

Curious to see if this would still work with Destiny.

Nothing really changes with online games as they are now; you`ll just get kicked back to a login/startup screen after a period of inactivity. Destiny already gets suspended if you open up Netflix (for example); I dont think it will work any different. Maybe the suspend/resume features forces a log-out, never really checked that.

Oppo

-They need to flesh that USB music player out into a proper media player.
-Can't see them supporting MKV at all, considering, Vita & PS3 doesn't have it
-DLNA

both are coming. it is evident now.

besides the HTML5 spec strongly suggesting MKV support, google's own WebM format uses it.

DLNA was waiting on ratifications and low power mode. Jeff basically called it a light year out.

trickyaudio

Neo Member
Playing local co-op and being able to earn trophies for each player when signed in would be nice.

I know (or assume) its upto the developer but mandatory would be nice. One can hope..

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I was talking to a friend last night about the standby/resume feature with the upcoming firmware release.

We were thinking it might not works with games like Destiny where you actually need to login, go through servers to pull down data/authenticate...etc

Curious to see if this would still work with Destiny.

Suspend/Resume will work the same way it does when you use an app and it asks you if you want to suspend the game, it will disconnect you from any online services immediately when you return to the game and you will have to connect again. This is dependant on the game of course, some games use online features that log in when playing, but games like Destiny and FFXIV that require log ins because they are online only won't let you stay on.

Theonik

both are coming. it is evident now.

besides the HTML5 spec strongly suggesting MKV support, google's own WebM format uses it.

DLNA was waiting on ratifications and low power mode. Jeff basically called it a light year out.
Who the hell told you HTML5 uses the MKV container? The HTML5 spec allows use of either the WebM or the MP4 containers. The former is based on MKV though so in that sense you would be correct but support for one is not implying support for the other. What's Google's WebM format? Are you talking about Google's VP8/9 Video formats? There is nothing MKV about those but they can be contained in both a WebM and MKV file.

thelastword

Banned
This is a pretty poor argument considering most of Sony's media devices have MKV support, it's just not very high on SCE's priority list. You shouldn't compare Cinavia either it's a different animal.

There is no real 'Sony wants to protect their media' at this point. Not since at least 2013.
I don't think we are in disagreement, we're saying the same thing. I'm just pointing out where they would be slightly hesistant, but even then they can't be anymore.

thelastword

Banned
The only reason they have for supporting mkv is that the XB1 does it.
Yeah, this is what's going to push them over the edge. I imagine they're already working on it. If it doesn't come though, I don't think it's a big deal personally, they should prioritize game features in the mean time.

Oppo

Who the hell told you HTML5 uses the MKV container? The HTML5 spec allows use of either the WebM or the MP4 containers. The former is based on MKV though so in that sense you would be correct but support for one is not implying support for the other. What's Google's WebM format? Are you talking about Google's VP8/9 Video formats? There is nothing MKV about those but they can be contained in both a WebM and MKV file.

oh I know. I do a lot of compression ;)

VP8/9 is a codec. WebM is a container format that is a tweaked MKV setup. if you're supporting WebM then it's an easy thing to support MKV. They may not for political reasons but technically they've done most of the work. I might be wrong but my guess is Sony will support it for competitive reasons.

oh I know. I do a lot of compression ;)

VP8/9 is a codec. WebM is a container format that is a tweaked MKV setup. if you're supporting WebM then it's an easy thing to support MKV. They may not for political reasons but technically they've done most of the work. I might be wrong but my guess is Sony will support it for competitive reasons.
And it's an open source container that can support some advanced features.

http://www.divx.com/en/software/technologies/mkv said:
MKV is a flexible, open standard video file format that has quickly become the preferred file extension for high definition video on the Internet. The MKV container can include video, audio, and features such as alternate audio tracks, multilingual subtitles and chapter points, as well as rich metadata including cover art, ratings, descriptions and more. MKV offers a richer media experience than any other current format, and that’s why we chose it as the file container for DivX Plus® video.
More features coming to Sony platforms including the PS4.

DISCOVERY AND MIRRORING OF SERVER-CLIENT REMOTE USER INTERFACE (RUI) SESSION ON A COMPANION DEVICE AND SYNCHRONOUSLY CONTROLLING BOTH SESSIONS USING RUI ON COMPANION DEVICE RUI= Client UI For DLNA CVP2 = Vidipath

Second screen support for DLNA CVP2. What's new is the diagram has support for Cable, ATSC 2.0 (OTA) and Satellite.

I cannot fucking wait for the PS4 to support DLNA. My PS3 is the original 60GB model and it sounds like a fucking jumbo jet less than five minutes after booting it. I got used to the noise, but only to an extent. It's still annoying as shit. Watching videos on my TV without any noise is going to feel fucking orgasmic to me.

androvsky

I cannot fucking wait for the PS4 to support DLNA. My PS3 is the original 60GB model and it sounds like a fucking jumbo jet less than five minutes after booting it. I got used to the noise, but only to an extent. It's still annoying as shit. Watching videos on my TV without any noise is going to feel fucking orgasmic to me.

have you heard the good news about plex

androvsky

No, what about it ?

And I tried to use Plex once. I just could not understand how it worked.
There's a Plex app for PS4, does the same thing as DLNA (the app doesn't support music yet). The PS4 app isn't free but you can try it in the PS4 browser for free.

Install the server on your PC, point it at your video folder. It downloads cover art and info based on the file names, and then you can watch them on the PS4.

There's a Plex app for PS4, does the same thing as DLNA (the app doesn't support music yet). The PS4 app isn't free but you can try it in the PS4 browser for free.

Install the server on your PC, point it at your video folder. It downloads cover art and info based on the file names, and then you can watch them on the PS4.
Unfortunately I have a PC that draws 120 watts and I don't want to leave it on all the time. I purchased a 3TB Network drive and DLNA server that pulls less than 500MW in standby and 5 watts when on. It does not support metadata as it's a Twonky server version 6.

Plex, when I looked into it looked like what's coming from Sony and Microsoft (extended metadata) and another reason to have MKV support.

Inside a MKV container you can put a blu-ray movie disk complete with menus and chapters and store it on your hard disk. Sony can serve a blu-ray disk from the PS4 but it's more convenient to have a hard disk copy on a network drive and that can also be DRM protected and might be coming.

From a world wide marketing perspective the PS4 and XB1, to dominate the living room world wide, will have a feature set that we can speculate on.

Easiest to hardest: Entertainment, Educational, Information, Communication and IoT Hub/controller for the Home

UI (UX) able to support international text styles and fonts
AAA games to casual (requires Sony partner with others and expand their games offering)
Educational programs and media (requires Sony partner with others in other countries and expand their TV and Movie studios)
DLNA CVP2 Media Hub with support for OTT and Over the Air TV (using Nanse or DLNA Network Tuner)
Stable and Fast HTML5 browser with W3C extensions able to support world standards for codecs, compression, containers (including MKV)
S3D, WebGL, WebVR,
VOIP and Video Chat with world wide standard (ooVoo)
IoT with a AOAC power mode
APP support with a basic set free and able to share data with other apps; Calendar, Contact list (already partially there with Friends list); activity log (already partially there with, what's new and Notifications), notebook.....

You can check and confirm the above over the next year or so.

Official Confirmation in the Playstation blog: PS4 Update 2.50 “Yukimura” Preview: Suspend/Resume and More

Facebook Friend Search: Gamers globally have jumped into PS4 as a redefined social gaming experience and connecting with friends over the network is a huge part of what makes the PS4 community so special. PlayStation now lets you go even bigger by connecting with your Facebook friends on PS4 using your linked account. Search for Facebook friends who are PlayStation Network members and build on the foundation of Friends you already have in your list. This means a new Friends/Contacts is coming shared with ooVoo...Facebook and more.

Accessibility Options: “Yukimura” introduces a wide variety of options to make their PS4 entertainment experience even more accessible. Options include text to speech, enlarged text, bolder fonts, higher contrast UI, zoom for displayed pictures, invert colors on screen and more. Users will also be able to reassign buttons for DualShock 4, making it easier for users with limited manual dexterity or limited reach and strength to play.

more at the link and in comments for DLNA:

Q: Forward thinking console? Can we have online friend alerts and DNLA?! Something your last console had th should’ve been present at launch!

A: + Scott McCarthy on March 11th, 2015 at 5:28 pm said: We want PS4 versions of these features, not a cut/ paste from last gen. Stay tuned.

= DLNA 2 with metadata support, Three box model and more like Plex Client and metadata compatibility ?

Q: Can we get an update to play videos from our external hard drives like the ps3 already does? Or the ability to stream from our wd external cloud devices?

A: + Scott McCarthy on March 11th, 2015 at 5:43 pm said: We want PS4 versions of these features, not a cut/ paste from last gen.

Embedded Playready in a TEE SoC (Southbridge) allows many DRM protection models not available on last generation. The TEE level security also allows secure on-line transactions to industry specs.

Blanquito

Watching this video https://vid.me/z5Mm around the [edit] 5:50 [/edit] mark shows the settings for 60fps shareplay. It mentions that in order to enable 60fps , the ps4 will no longer record your gameplay.

(It doesn't bother me, I just thought it was interesting).

So, do you think they're hitting the limits of what the ARM chip can encode?

mattp

Watching this video https://vid.me/z5Mm around the [edit] 5:50 [/edit] mark shows the settings for 60fps shareplay. It mentions that in order to enable 60fps , the ps4 will no longer record your gameplay.

probably
seems like a fine trade off to me

It will only stop recording during SharePlay though, not stop all together. :)

DieH@rd

Banned

User who receives 60fps stream can continue recording, so it is not total loss.

Yup, good catch... I remember you asking about a bandwidth limit for the ARM SoC, seems you found one.

Spinluck

No, but it does mean not having to redownload games when swapping HDDs. It looks like it's all or nothing though, which means it really is just a back up, and not something where you can just move games to and from instead of redownloading or installing. At least it's something.

This will suffice, I guess.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
So... why can't we also record gameplay at 60fps? Clearly the chip is capable of it? Or is the issue that it can't write data that fast, so streaming at 60 is fine but recording isn't?

So... why can't we also record gameplay at 60fps? Clearly the chip is capable of it? Or is the issue that it can't write data that fast, so streaming at 60 is fine but recording isn't?

probably has more to do with the system not being able to stream and record all that data at the same time, not that it's incapable of capturing 60fps for recording

Blanquito

Hm, that may be it, yeah. Writing to the HDD could potentially affect gameplay, since you can't read and write at the same time.

DieH@rd

Banned

Chip is capable for sure. That service probably has a fixed amount of resources for itself, and maybe Sony techs don't want to go wild on it and expand its hardware footprint, causing other parts of the console experience to suffer.

Still need custom backgrounds, bluetooth media remote support and USB video playback.

You know, things that are already standard on PS3.

Chip is capable for sure. That service probably has a fixed amount of resources for itself, and maybe Sony techs don't want to go wild on it and expand its hardware footprint, causing other parts of the console experience to suffer.
Very possible depending on what Sony has planned for the PS4 which does imply a bandwidth or feature limit.

Just in case you guys haven't see this:

Keep cable but lose the box with VidiPath, a new wireless way to watch

DLNA-Vidipath

Moore told us the first approved VidiPath devices will begin hitting the market as early as the second quarter of this year.

“there are (game) consoles that I know of that will be VidiPath certified as well.” With Sony in the mix, it’s not a stretch to assume the PS4 could incorporate the technology. And DLNA Marketing Manager Katie Gengler also hinted that TV manufacturers are looking into firmware updates that could potentially make some existing smart TVs compatible with VidiPath. While we’re still waiting for the VidiPath veil to be lifted, it appears the protocol will hit the ground running once it premieres in the next few months.
Now that suspend/resume will be here with Firmware 2.5, DLNA which comes last is now possible.

Q: Forward thinking console? Can we have online friend alerts and DNLA?! Something your last console had th should’ve been present at launch!

A: + Scott McCarthy on March 11th, 2015 at 5:28 pm said: We want PS4 versions of these features, not a cut/ paste from last gen. Stay tuned.

Q: Can we get an update to play videos from our external hard drives like the ps3 already does? Or the ability to stream from our wd external cloud devices?

A: + Scott McCarthy on March 11th, 2015 at 5:43 pm said: We want PS4 versions of these features, not a cut/ paste from last gen.

Top Bottom