• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Firmware 2.50 Suspend/Resume Coming March/April

This allows you to do that - but without possibly damaging or overheating your console and without keeping it on at full power consumption for hours or days on end. Some people don't want to take the risk you're taking. Same result- safer and greener way to do it.

Maybe it is just my definition of "taking a break". If I'm away for more than 30 mins I usually power down the system.

Raistlin

Maybe it is just my definition of "taking a break". If I'm away for more than 30 mins I usually power down the system.
The majority of people use sleep mode. And I suspect that's true for most devices that offer it in general.

androvsky

Did local web access stop working for non-subs or something?

If that's the case, that's pretty damn lame.
Not that I'm aware of. The browser version is not terribly stable on the PS4 so when Plex updates the web app issues can happen, but they usually fix it pretty fast. Quick look at the forums isn't showing anything major, and it's not like I can tell since I'm on a slightly older version of the stable server and I've got a subscription.

Funny thing is every time the web app breaks a bunch of people immediately assume a conspiracy, used to be Sony blocking Plex so you're forced to use the approved Hollywood apps.

Raistlin

Not that I'm aware of. The browser version is not terribly stable on the PS4 so when Plex updates the web app issues can happen, but they usually fix it pretty fast. Quick look at the forums isn't showing anything major, and it's not like I can tell since I'm on a slightly older version of the stable server and I've got a subscription.

Funny thing is every time the web app breaks a bunch of people immediately assume a conspiracy, used to be Sony blocking Plex so you're forced to use the approved Hollywood apps.
Oh lord :p

Yeah, it's not like most developers spend much (or any) time testing the PS3/4 browser for their websites. That Plex actually goes back and does fixes, even while selling a paid app, shows they're a pretty great team.

kmg90

Baring any actual footage of the process I will say the PS4 resume takes a similar amount of time (
20 frpbaqf sebz orrcvat gb erfhzvat tnzr be ncc)
and more immediate than the Xbox One's*.

http://youtu.be/ZAt70kPcSVo?t=1m28s

*I was going to go into detail about that but I'm no doubt treading on thin ice trying to avoid violate the NDA.

Right, i was Opting To put a riddle here but it took more than 13 seconds to think of one

driver116

By the way it reads, this doesn't sound like suspend/resume at all - just suspend games/apps and put in rest mode (low power mode) and not with the power completely off.

AlexIIDX

By the way it reads, this doesn't sound like suspend/resume at all - just suspend games/apps and put in rest mode (low power mode) and not with the power completely off.

Suspend games/apps, resume when you wake up the system. Vita has suspend resume, but you don't completely turn off the system.

99550-WAT-gif-WHAT-meme-Kill-Bill-Im-MaVp.gif

leng jai

It's never worked the way you seem to think it does. Once the console is completely powered off you can't resume games on any console.

Elios83

How do you think that suspend/resume works? With magic? :D It IS a low power mode where you use some power to keep the state of memory and cpu intact while most of other components are turned off, but it's not like turning off the system at all.

Theonik

How do you think that suspend/resume works? With magic? :D It IS a low power mode where you use some power to keep the state of memory and cpu intact while most of other components are turned off, but it's not like turning off the system at all.
They could write the state to the HDD and recover from that. This is how sleep mode has functioned in Windows for some time in-fact.

Elios83

That is how I always envisioned it - like the way hibernation works on laptops.

No that is a different thing, in that case you save the state of the system on the hard drive and then turn it off but when you turn it on again the system has to be restored and it's a slow process since you have to copy a lot of datas.
Suspend/Resume is different, memory and a few elements of the cpu are kept powered on, hence when you turn on the system again the effect is immediate.

They could write the state to the HDD and recover from that. This is how sleep mode has functioned in Windows for some time in-fact.

Pretty sure that's hibernation not sleep mode. Sleep mode on windows is a low power state. Hibernation writes the current state to the HDD and powers off

driver116

Righty, I was think of hibernation mode then. Come to think of it, I remember Cerny mentioning downloading updates while the power is off also - maybe I was thinking of this but for the suspend stuff.

I'm sure it works a lttle differently on the Vita because:
I was playing a game on my Vita and tapped the power button to suspend it, then I left it for a few weeks and the battery died. When it was charged, the game was still running when it turned back on.

gruenel

Yup, that's hibernation (or suspend-to-disk). It would be quite a bit slower than suspend-to-RAM though (at least if you don't have an SSD). Reading 8GB from the internal drive will take at least a minute.

noomi

I'm really excited about being able to back up the current hard drive completely (all apps...etc). This is what was holding me back from upgrading the hard drive all together... I couldn't be bothered to download 500GB worth of games/content again.

It's been a while since I've looked at HD upgrades for the PS4. I remember a hybrid SSD debate a while back, what's the current best hard drive to get? I will definitely want to upgrade when this firmware hits.... I get OCD about having little space left :p

driver116

Yup, that's hibernation (or suspend-to-disk). It would be quite a bit slower than suspend-to-RAM though (at least if you don't have an SSD). Reading 8GB from the internal drive will take at least a minute.

I suppose similar functionality could be achieved if they included a small battery in the PS4.

Sitrus

Righty, I was think of hibernation mode then. Come to think of it, I remember Cerny mentioning downloading updates while the power is off also - maybe I was thinking of this but for the suspend stuff.

I was playing a game on my Vita and tapped the power button to suspend it, then I left it for a few weeks and the battery died. When it was charged, the game was still running when it turned back on.

That's how Vita's suspend mode works. When the power goes down below a critical point, it refuses to turn on, using all its power to make sure the memory is not wiped out.

When you charge it above that critical point, it then allows the user to turn in on. It's not saving anything, it's just a way to preserve the state of memory when the battery is low.

If you let the battery go down to zero, the memory will blank out and it will turn off for real.

driver116

On a side note - is there a quick way to turn the PS4 off completely when in rest mode? (some sort of long button press)

DieH@rd

Banned
Any leaked information about uncompressed .PNG screenshot support? 60fps video capturing?

If SharePlay can work with 60fps, 99.9% Remote Play will support it. As for DVR it is little more unclear,because that service is maybe closely connected with amount of RAM it gets access too while game is active and the HDD speeds.

We will find out soon.

when the vita battery dies completely, you lose whatever game/app is suspended. same as when you power the system off.

off is off bro. downloading updates while the power is off? read that back to yourself out loud

Kysen

That and it's prone to corruption. Windows hibernation mode is garbage. I've lost work so many times to that. Oh and I forgot the system runs slower after resuming a hybernated state.

Theonik

Pretty sure that's hibernation not sleep mode. Sleep mode on windows is a low power state. Hibernation writes the current state to the HDD and powers off
It's kind of semantics. In truth they are all varying sleep states. It's more of a design decision.

Well yeah, just saying that it's not impossible or magic. There are several reasons why they favour this more on portable systems but not on consoles though it's entirely a choice made by who-ever is implementing the platform.

(Portables usually 'shut down' before they are out of battery and use the last few minutes to finish any outstanding writes or risky operations and sometimes to suspend the user's tasks to non-volatile storage.)

driver116

when the vita battery dies completely, you lose whatever game/app is suspended. same as when you power the system off.

off is off bro. downloading updates while the power is off? read that back to yourself out loud

Ok, I found a transcript of what he actually said (i'm at work):

PlayStation 4 also has a Secondary Custom Chip that manages uploads and downloads. As a result it's possible to download or update games in the background or even with the main power off.

If SharePlay can work with 60fps, 99.9% Remote Play will support it. As for DVR it is little more unclear,because that service is maybe closely connected with amount of RAM it gets access too while game is active and the HDD speeds.

We will find out soon.

I'd go for a 5 minute @ native framerate vs. 15 minute @ 30fps capped type thing.

Most of my videos are in the 5-8 minute variety anyway

Elios83

Ok, I found a transcript of what he actually said (i'm at work):

There is no such thing as 'doing things' without power. It's phisics.
When something is performed in background it takes power to do it.
Marketing words are not meant to explain the technical details, they just want people to get the concept that the system can perform certain tasks while not regularly turned on.

driver116

There is no such thing as 'doing things' without power. It's phisics.
When something is performed in background it takes power to do it.
Marketing words are not meant to explain the technical details, they ust want people to get the concept that the system can perform certain tasks while not regularly turned on.

Again, trying to explain where wires have become crossed - and not disprove physics as you claim. Just move on with the topic.

Hold pwr on console until you hear beep.

Cheers.

Just_one

Can someone get a link to the new features??

About trophies will we finally be able to do :

1 - Delete games with 0% from list?
2 - Delete games with low percentage from list?
3 - Organize games by console (PS4/PS4/PS Vita)?

About the XMB will we finally be able to organize the games by folders?

Felensis

Banned
Originally Posted by Mark Cerny

"Speed of response is also vital. Immediacy is no longer an ambition when creating system UI, it's an expectation with players. So on PlayStation 4 we've put together a feature-set assisted in many ways by custom hardware that radically reduces the lag time between consumers and their content."

Did he ever try the PS4's webbrowser? It is slow, choppy and often freezes. I've also noticed that with certain themes active the PS4's UI in general often hangs and gets sloppy.

FIX this please and then add DLNA/MP4 video.

~3W

8-10W if the USB charging is on.

More if console wakes up to download/update something [minimal fan noise can be heard then].
I think I remember that GDDR5 in zero clock self refresh uses the same power that DDR3 does as it's built using the same DRAM. I think it's about 20ua so sleep mode with a game in GDDR5 self refresh is still supposed to be under 500mw as that is a EU power board guideline for all devices. Other power modes have recommendations but no current mandate but it's supposed to be coming.

Sleep mode only refers to the APU not the Second custom chip as Southbridge that has the ARM bus and is always powered. It has internal power modes also with a voice Key phrase detection supported by the Tensilica HiFi DSP in ultra low power mode which I think is supposed to still be under 500 mw total for the system..

It's required the PS4 ship with default settings to support EU regulations and recommendations. The owner can change those defaults legally and the console will use more than 500 mw, like USB charging on.

Suspend/resume is a result of Energy Star/EU power regulation for APD (Auto Power Down) that all game consoles must support.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=488843 said:
Energy Star EPA sponsored Voluntary compliance standards Three tiers starting with tier 1 2010

Notice the third tier of Game Console Energy Star specs went into effect July 1 2012. FCC filing for the PS3 4000 chassis July 2012.

There are EU power regulations for Always on Standby mode with exceptions for "special features". Standby is 500mw but special exceptions are allowed and I have not been able to find the power that is authorized. It applies to the PS4 and Xbox 720. The always on mode for the Xbox and PS4 is not required to be 500mw, read the exceptions and use cases. One has a game console able to turn on a Blu-ray player and control as well as play the blu-ray in the player; RVU should allow such a use case.

Joint power mode paper from all Game console makers.
Response to the above paper from EU energy conservation groups
EPA Publishes Voluntary Criteria for ENERGY STAR Game Consoles

My best guess for IPTV mode is similar to a older PC with CPU (Jaguar CPUs) and DDR3 memory (GDDR5 with slower clock) with a PCIe to a dGPU (Southbridge) which has the ARM Xtensa IVP as both GPU and codec decoder. Should be under 20 watts with the proper clock speeds.

Note; In the Game Console paper it states:

2.1 Tiers
Tier 1: 1 January 2013 >>> PS4 and XB1 released Nov 2013
Tier 2: 1 January 2017 >>> Next generation should be released Nov 2017

GoaThief

Doesn't that kind of make sense, though? It's intended to pause, and come back to, single player games, right?
No, it doesn't make sense.

Forza is plagued by this whether you suspend from inside any component of Forza itself (the single player is huge), or from a different game or app, or even the dashboard and then subsequently start the game. Titanfall has been put into a suspended state from the main menu (not a multiplayer match), and I've not even touched any form of MP on Peggle. There have been other cases of the lack of controller response in other gamea but I cannot recall which ones exactly, probably because it was becoming a little common across the entire platform by this point.

NickFire

I'm glad its coming because I know its a big deal for a lot of players, but I don't see suspend / resume being very important. Multiplayer games will probably boot you out anyway I'm guessing, and single player games have so many check points these days it seems.

Now folders and the ability to delete betas, and I will be jumping up and down.

So what do we complain about next?

1) DLNA.

2) Thumb drive/hard drive movie playback (.mkv, .mp4, etc)

3) Customizable UI (FOLDERS, ability to hide/delete demos/alphas/betas off the library list...its absolutely retarded this isn't already an option as the lack of it creates an unwieldy and ugly list once the game collection gets fairly large).

4) Update the shitty browser.

Top Bottom