• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Firmware 2.50 Suspend/Resume Coming March/April

1) DLNA.

2) Thumb drive/hard drive movie playback (.mkv, .mp4, etc)

3) Customizable UI (FOLDERS, ability to hide/delete demos/alphas/betas off the library list...its absolutely retarded this isn't already an option as the lack of it creates an unwieldy and ugly list once the game collection gets fairly large).

4) Update the shitty browser.
This generation the hardware includes ARM Trustzone and secure MMUs for DRM and Trusted boot. It can have an open to apps OS and still have secure DRM. The XB1 will run apps designed for Windows 10 just like a PC...how open will Sony's PS4 be? I believe Sony will support the entire HTML 5.0 feature set including Network drive and local Hard Disk access. The limitations will likely involve Desktop real estate and approval by Sony for Low power and IPTV apps which have to run in or partially run in the ARM DDR3 memory.

It is imperative that Sony's HTML5 browser implementation be EXACTLY like every other Vidipath HTML5 as the RUI interface has to be exactly the same on every platform. Same for ooVoo and any app designed for Vidipath platforms. Requested features like MKV, MP3 etc. are HTML5 5.0 standards. Since the PS4 OS is built on Gnome APIs and includes eGlib, the same as the Comcast and Cable labs Vidipath software RDK, we should expect HTML5 to use dbus so that HTML5 apps can pass information to each other. IoT apps be they Java or Javascript should be the same with APIs provided by Sony.

androvsky's comment on the state of the PS4 browser lends support for my view that it's running and the OS UI is running on hardware in the Southbridge, it's not running on a AMD APU. The performance issues commented on by the PS4 UI developer for the WebGL desktop just can't be possible if it were using the AMD APU.

From Don Olmstead, to quote: "Now that the #PS4 has been released I can finally start talking about my piece of the puzzle.

When you login to your PS4 you are running #WebGL code. The PlayStation Store, the Music and Video Applications, as well as a good chunk of UX are all rendered within the browser.

I spent a good amount of time tuning our WebGL rendering engine, and I will be speaking at +SFHTML5 about how to optimize WebGL usage within the context of that work. There will be plenty of great tips on how you can speed up your own WebGL applications so get your slot now. And for those of you can't make it in person it will be live streamed on Google Developers Live."
And in a video he states how much he had to do to get the WebGL rendering engine fast enough for the PS4 UI.

WebGL UI for the PS4 was predictable given DLNA CVP2 = Vidipath is a HTML5 app and the RUI is HTML5. Sony wants apps including DLNA CVP2 able to open instantly from the UI (UX).

Blanquito

2.1 Tiers
Tier 1: 1 January 2013 >>> PS4 and XB1 released Nov 2013
Tier 2: 1 January 2017 >>> Next generation should be released Nov 2017

Hmm. I'm not sure that they are necessarily going to stick with that timeline. First of all, Nintendo didn't release a console in 2013, even though they're part of that paper. Second, a four year cycle? That's crazy.

It probably just means that they want to get their consoles to perform at those tiers by that time.

Still, good info though.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Hmm, anyone notice the store icon has moved to the main bar from the top bar? Noticed it last night. Was I blind before or is this a 2.5 thing?

Hmm. I'm not sure that they are necessarily going to stick with that timeline. First of all, Nintendo didn't release a console in 2013, even though they're part of that paper. Second, a four year cycle? That's crazy.

It probably just means that they want to get their consoles to perform at those tiers by that time.

Still, good info though.
Nintendo complied, or rather as the lowest power game console, Energy Star tried to use the WiiU specs (known before release) to limit the other consoles.

RE: 4 year cycle, I gather you don't have a problem with the next Nintendo console coming Nov 2016 just a next generation PS4 and XB1. Chances are that Nov 2016 the console chips will still be 28nm maybe on FD-SOI but will use HBM and a more advanced clock and power gating/power supply with higher efficiency and HSAIL will be ready. Likely they will still be PS4 and XB1 just much much cheaper and energy efficient.

The tier 2 power rating is in a paper jointly authored by Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft. They are projecting a refresh or new version for Nov 2016 and that matches with the Next Nintendo console that we now know will be a AMD X-86 SoC.

Just_one

For what im hoping for , sony is slowly getting there :

MKV Playback - MISS
Customize Background and Folders to organize games - MISS
Delete stuff from Library - MISS
Delete Games with 0% from Trophy List - CHECK
Delete Games with 10% max from Thophy List - MISS
Organize Trophy List by Console - MISS
Suspend/Resume Function - CHECK
SharePlay at 60 fps - CHECK
Spotify - CHECK

Doubt its true but heard something about PS Plus subscribers being able to acess spotify for Free , anyone knows anything about this?

MKV Playback - MISS
Spotify - CHECK

Doubt its true but heard something about PS Plus subscribers being able to acess spotify for Free , anyone knows anything about this?

Spotify is free for everyone, as it is everywhere. It's ad-based. You can pay for Spotify Premium for $10/Month to get no ads and better audio quality. On iOS, Premium gives you the ability to listen to music in any order (the PC client allows this with the free version). As such, I don't if the free version on PS4 is limited to shuffle only, as the free version on iOS is. I hope it's like the PC client. Maybe you heard Spotify Premium on PS4 is free with PS+. That would be awesome.

Blanquito

Nintendo complied, or rather as the lowest power game console, Energy Star tried to use the WiiU specs (known before release) to limit the other consoles.

RE: 4 year cycle, I gather you don't have a problem with the next Nintendo console coming Nov 2016 just a next generation PS4 and XB1. Chances are that Nov 2016 the console chips will still be 28nm maybe on FD-SOI but will use HBM and a more advanced clock and power gating/power supply with higher efficiency and HSAIL will be ready. Likely they will still be PS4 and XB1 just much much cheaper and energy efficient.

The tier 2 power rating is in a paper jointly authored by Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft. They are projecting a refresh or new version for Nov 2016 and that matches with the Next Nintendo console that we now know will be a AMD X-86 SoC.

Ah, an internals refresh that meets those requirements makes more sense than a next gen release -- which is what I thought you were saying in my previous quote.

I keep seeing MKV support pop up in threads today, it was also in an XB1 thread.

Never heard of this file format - why is it such a big deal?

I keep seeing MKV support pop up in threads today, it was also in an XB1 thread.

Never heard of this file format - why is it such a big deal?
It is a container, which you can toss h264 content with separate audio tracks and subtitles into, and then you can enable/disable those as they are not hard-coded. Useful for DVD and BD rips - you don't lose the subtitles you can access from disc but they are not there if you don't want to see them.

Hopeful this update has a few other small changes being pushed through to QA and release if they get those listed features working in time.

It is a container, which you can toss h264 content with separate audio tracks and subtitles into, and then you can enable/disable those as they are not hard-coded.

Hopeful this update has a few other small changes being pushed through to QA and release if they get those listed features working in time.

That seems like an extremely obscure thing for them to add. What would I be trying to play in an MKV format? iTunes files?

Another thread here made it sound like its basically for people who pirate TV shows/movies.

Edit: Apparently it's used for people ripping their bluray discs to their hard drive to stream them locally. In that case sounds fine, but I still have to wonder how many people actually do this that would warrant it being any sort of a priority for features.

Dragun619

MKV Playback - MISS

They'll never add MKV support. I'd be nice and all, Personally for me, I'd used it to watch anime, but considering it's basically the #1 format used for Movies & TV Shows piracy.

I just don't see any real reason why Sony or even MS & Nintendo would even consider adding MKV support.

Theonik

They'll never add MKV support. I'd be nice and all, Personally for me, I'd used it to watch anime, but considering it's basically the #1 format used for Movies & TV Shows piracy.

I just don't see any real reason why Sony or even MS & Nintendo would even consider adding MKV support.
Also you could use Plex Media Server to play those files on PS4 at no quality loss.

autoduelist

That seems like an extremely obscure thing for them to add. What would I be trying to play in an MKV format? iTunes files?

Another thread here made it sound like its basically for people who pirate TV shows/movies.

Edit: Apparently it's used for people ripping their bluray discs to their hard drive to stream them locally. In that case sounds fine, but I still have to wonder how many people actually do this that would warrant it being any sort of a priority for features.

Well, that's the rub. Lots of people do it; I remember going through my entire dvd, cd, and vinyl library and ripping everything because i liked the idea of having everything at my fingertips, digital.

But yes, it's also a in route for piracy. But so are many perfectly legal things.

The only reason i could see them enabling it is if they truly want to be a universal media hub. I don't know that this is anyone's goal anymore, though, in a world where people have consoles, apple/amazon tvs, and smart tvs that do stuff too.

Anyone that cared that much about it probably should just have a laptop set up next to their consoles and let their consoles focus on games.

androvsky

Also you could use Plex Media Server to play those files on PS4 at no quality loss.

Yeah, that's the thing. If Sony was not going to support MKV because they were worried about rips or piracy, they certainly should not have approved the Plex app.

All adding MKV support does now is make it so the Plex server doesn't have to transcode video that has soft subtitles for the PS4 app.

Theonik

Yeah, that's the thing. If Sony was not going to support MKV because they were worried about rips or piracy, they certainly should not have approved the Plex app.

All adding MKV support does now is make it so the Plex server doesn't have to transcode video that has soft subtitles for the PS4 app.
It would be pretty daft for Sony to block it to be honest, especially when Xbox let it through as well. As an aside though I personally wouldn't use it on PlayStation until they allow you to buy the app. Paying for a Plex sub seems pretty terrible. To be honest though, I don't know how much resources the Plex app has access to but it should be able to play pretty much everything in software on the PS4.

My current goat Plex Client is my Raspberry Pi2 can't be beat for $35 imo

androvsky

It would be pretty daft for Sony to block it to be honest, especially when Xbox let it through as well. As an aside though I personally wouldn't use it on PlayStation until they allow you to buy the app. Paying for a Plex sub seems pretty terrible. To be honest though, I don't know how much resources the Plex app has access to but it should be able to play pretty much everything in software on the PS4.

Going by the dev comments the app has to use Sony supplied codecs, which is pretty frustrating. I understand it since codec licensing is a nightmare for everyone and they do seem to get away with a lot on the PC, but the end result still kinda stinks.

kaiyo

Sony BluRay players and TV support MKV, I see no reason why they would not put MKV on the PS4. They have to get local media playback in a firmware update first lol.

Deadstar

MKV Playback - MISS
Spotify - CHECK

I wish minecraft worked on shareplay.

Audette

Count me in as +1 for ps1 compatibilty.

I would love to be able to continue not only my PS3 downloads but my actual physical copies as well. Actually some real ps2 compatibilty would be nice too.

If you need to make some money from it some way, sell the emulator on PSN as a lump some purchase, Just let us use our old games.

David___

Banned

I would love to be able to continue not only my PS3 downloads but my actual physical copies as well. Actually some real ps2 compatibilty would be nice too.

If you need to make some money from it some way, sell the emulator on PSN as a lump some purchase, Just let us use our old games.

A PS1 and PS2 emulator is probably possible. Dont expect a PS3 one at all though.

Theonik

Going by the dev comments the app has to use Sony supplied codecs, which is pretty frustrating. I understand it since codec licensing is a nightmare for everyone and they do seem to get away with a lot on the PC, but the end result still kinda stinks.
Codec licensing shouldn't be an issue since there is plenty of really good open source codecs their apps use in other platforms. The problem is more about patents and laws that allow these patents to apply on those codecs in certain countries. A ton of products suffer from that problem. I don't see why Plex would care after it not being a problem for them on every other platform unless it's Sony related.

Jomjom

Banned
Um... don't know if I'm supposed to not talk about this, but I think it's cool that the suspend and resume even works for MMO games like FFXIV.

Fell asleep the other day and my PS4 ended up turning off. When I turned the PS4 on the next day, the game had logged my character out, but I put me at the character select screen instead of having to do the complete login/password stuff all over again.

Definitely not obscure, and perfect for DVDs and BDs or original content with multiple audio tracks (this is less common, but I'm a filmmaker). Used within piracy, sure, but I truly doubt it's the most common format. AVI / MP4 probably are. Also, this is how we are creating some of the content for Infinite Medium (sort-of-reviews and mashups, etc.) by obtaining permission from content owner if the video doesn't fall under fair play and then ripping the blu-ray to have a high quality source, which will then be compressed to the netherworld and back for YouTube.

Most of my library is ripped for portable convenience and I extract the video and audio from the MKV as an MP4 if I plan on watching my movie / shows on a PS3 over at a friend's, for instance. No need to bring a stack of discs inside cases, and they can remain at home for my grandparents to use since playing disc-based media is easier for them compared to navigating the USB directory on our Smart TV. They generally stick to Netflix, though.

EDIT - So wait, 60fps 720p? Does that mean 1080p30 is possible for shareplay or share recordings? I'd love to stream to my Xperia Z3 at 1080p...

I've ripped every disc in my collection to MKV. It's especially handy for anime since you can include both the English and Japanese with various subtitles as well.

doomquake

Yeah no lossless screenshots is weird. Just some png16 at least...
Also..this feels like a major feature that Sony could potentially f up. So gonna go in with caution.

driver116

-They need to flesh that USB music player out into a proper media player.
-Can't see them supporting MKV at all, considering, Vita & PS3 doesn't have it
-DLNA

satire77

That would be awesome, but I highly doubt it seeing as a spotify subscription is as expensive as PS+ itself.

I also doubt the will give spotify premium for free for PS+ subscribers, but im hoping they at least give us some kind of discount.

thelastword

Banned

Well since Sony is a big player in the movie/media industry they do have an obligation to protect their content. Sony used Cinavia protection to mute audio streams from bluray rips, it was extremely effective on the PS3 since there was certain hooks of it in a certain firmware update. There are other levels of Cinavia which stops playback and the copying of content as well. In 2012 Cinavia became mandatory, but I'm not sure how effective that was since the cost of implementation is something that maybe small film companies would want to forego.

Having said that, I think Sony is going to loosen up, times have changed, there are so many devices MKV can be played on without issue, very cheaply too, that this is something you really can't regulate at this point.

i've been saying this for years. just charge $60 for PS1 and PS2 emulators that allow disc play

Percy

Banned
60fps Shareplay is something I honestly would never have expected to see happen, so I'm going to need to see it to believe tbh.

A lot of the stuff with this update is beginning to sound a bit pie in the sky to me, but we'll see I guess.

sooWoo!

Banned

I don't think you understand why we might get a another Nintendo console so early this time around. The Wii U isn't doing as well as they'll like and they're already realizing there is very little they can do to turn it around.

Theonik

Well since Sony is a big player in the movie/media industry they do have an obligation to protect their content. Sony used Cinavia protection to mute audio streams from bluray rips, it was extremely effective on the PS3 since there was certain hooks of it in a certain firmware update. There are other levels of Cinavia which stops playback and the copying of content as well. In 2012 Cinavia became mandatory, but I'm not sure how effective that was since the cost of implementation is something that maybe small film companies would want to forego.

Having said that, I think Sony is going to loosen up, times have changed, there are so many devices MKV can be played on without issue, very cheaply too, that this is something you really can't regulate at this point.
This is a pretty poor argument considering most of Sony's media devices have MKV support, it's just not very high on SCE's priority list. You shouldn't compare Cinavia either it's a different animal.

There is no real 'Sony wants to protect their media' at this point. Not since at least 2013.

noomi

I was talking to a friend last night about the standby/resume feature with the upcoming firmware release.

We were thinking it might not works with games like Destiny where you actually need to login, go through servers to pull down data/authenticate...etc

Curious to see if this would still work with Destiny.

driver116

I was talking to a friend last night about the standby/resume feature with the upcoming firmware release.

We were thinking it might not works with games like Destiny where you actually need to login, go through servers to pull down data/authenticate...etc

Curious to see if this would still work with Destiny.

The way I expect it to work is to boot you from online matches/games and be presented with the menu screen when returning to it.

tmespe

The way I expect it to work is to boot you from online matches/games and be presented with the menu screen when returning to it.

Someone posted this earlier in the thread, and I would assume it's the same for destiny:

Um... don't know if I'm supposed to not talk about this, but I think it's cool that the suspend and resume even works for MMO games like FFXIV.

Fell asleep the other day and my PS4 ended up turning off. When I turned the PS4 on the next day, the game had logged my character out, but I put me at the character select screen instead of having to do the complete login/password stuff all over again.

Top Bottom