• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ori and the Blind Forest |OT| A Soft Heart for the Hard Core

Whomever does manage to beat this game without dying seriously deserves props. Especially considering how precise you have to be in the last couple hours of the game. All it takes is a little missed jump/land and it will no doubt lead to your death.

Has anyone pulled it off yet? I would love to see a lets play with such a task.

Steam shows 0.2% of people getting that achievement. But I refuse to believe it until I see it lol

It's actually not that difficult - we did a lot of 0 death runs internally and there's already a lot of people who managed to do it on the leaderboards.

I'd say you just need to master the controls and use Bash wisely ;)

Exentryk

Currently at 9.5 hours, 89%, 300 deaths, and the last dungeon to go.
KuGsj.gif

P.S - All abilities learnt! 8)

Exentryk

Is it obvious where the point of no return is? I want to try 100% on my first go :)

Well, I just did the whole map 100% before going into the 3rd dungeon. You can miss percentages in dungeons themselves though, and those become inaccessible once you complete them.

lt519

Why should backtracking be only done at the end? What "affect" will the game lose if people are allowed to fast travel throughout the game?

The transformations that some of the areas go under as the game progresses. Water not becoming poisonous, wind blowing, etc. Which may be expanded upon in a sequel. As a developer I wouldn't want players skipping over those changes. I was mostly playing devils advocate though, I'm for fast traveling between map stones. But if some people are so adamantly against it I think it can be done in a way that is just used for end game clean up.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Can this game be played well with the PS4 controller or should I buy a 360 controller? I don't want to fiddle around that much. Which controller is better for plug & play?

Can this game be played well with the PS4 controller or should I buy a 360 controller? I don't want to fiddle around that much. Which controller is better for plug & play?

Maybe some other GAFer can talk about it in more detail, but I think it should work fine if you use a Dual Shock 4 and DS4Windows, since it emulates the 360 controller. Has anyone here tried that yet?

Exentryk

Yeah, I am currently playing with a DS4. Works with no issues. Make sure you install inputmapper first, and that'll make your DS4 plug and play. The labels will still show as Xbox tho, but you'll get the hang of it.

Nabs

Maybe some other GAFer can talk about it in more detail, but I think it should work fine if you use a Dual Shock 4 and DS4Windows, since it emulates the 360 controller. Has anyone here tried that yet?

That's what I used and it worked perfectly. Just remember to check "Hide DS4" in the ds4windows settings. It's pretty much a 2-click install and setup.

Man, with all the crazy stunts people seem to be doing in all these speedrun videos, it just reminds me of these Mario 64 videos where people just perfect their speedruns down to every single move.

I'd love to see Ori being played that way and it makes me happy that we spent so much time on perfecting the controls :)))

We're getting quite a lot of requests now from various sites regarding Post Mortems, articles about Oris development, etc.

Just wanted to ask what topics you guys would be most interested in. We've been working on Ori in secret for around 3.5 years and I think we have quite an interesting approach to game development.

Are there any topics you guys are specifically interested in hearing from us?

How are sales of the game doing so far? Per platform? Do you consider it a success?

Average completion time (if you can capture that data)?

Why did you put in those blocks that fly down from the ceiling and squash the player? Also, why are you evil?

How are sales of the game doing so far? Per platform? Do you consider it a success?

It's a bit too early to tell. But it's not as high as that Cities game... so buy more Ori if you guys want to see us making another game! :) I'm hoping that Microsoft sees thorugh Oris success that sidescrollers still have a place in this market and that players are still hungry for them. So we're obviously hoping for support from all the gamers out there that love games like Ori :)

Average completion time (if you can capture that data)?

I think it's around 10 hours, but it highly depends on the completion rate - Some people just run through the game without collecting anything and finish sooner, others collect everything and need a lot longer.

Why did you put in those blocks that fly down from the ceiling and squash the player? Also, why are you evil?

I'm not evil! I see potential in all the players out there and by giving you a challenge that you'll eventually complete, you'll get a feeling of accomplishment, it shows you that you can do whatever you set your mind to, even if it seems (too) challenging at first! The stompers should remind you that you need to save often and to pay attention to your environment :)

It's a bit too early to tell. But it's not as high as that Cities game... so buy more Ori if you guys want to see us making another game! :)

I think it's around 10 hours, but it highly depends on the completion rate - Some people just run through the game without collecting anything and finish sooner, others collect everything and need a lot longer.

I'm not evil! I see potential in all the players out there and by giving you a challenge that you'll eventually complete, you'll get a feeling of accomplishment, it shows you that you can do whatever you set your mind to, even if it seems (too) challenging at first! The stompers should remind you that you need to save often and to pay attention to your environment :)

Oh! Look at that, answered already :p

I was mostly asking the sales questions as something that could be answered later on. Maybe like The Astronauts did with their "1 month later" data sheet for Ethan Carter.

I'm curious as to how all this positive buzz translates to sales. I bought a copy for myself and a friend, and I've raved about it on every social media platform available to me. A few extra people have grabbed the game based on that, so I'm hoping word of mouth and positive reviews can move more copies for you guys. It deserves to be seen and played by everyone.

I was mostly joking about the stomping blocks. I'll admit to dying to them more times than I should have... mostly when I'm rushing through an area to get to a secret I missed. But I think they could be used in more puzzels actually. I like it when they're more than just a way to squash you.

It's a bit too early to tell. But it's not as high as that Cities game... so buy more Ori if you guys want to see us making another game! :) I'm hoping that Microsoft sees thorugh Oris success that sidescrollers still have a place in this market and that players are still hungry for them. So we're obviously hoping for support from all the gamers out there that love games like Ori :)

Was pretty happy to see the game in the top 3 "top purchases" on the XB1 store. At the time the only things beating Ori were the games with gold releases of the month.

I've really got to play more of Ori, though part of me wants to save the playthrough for a bit. I've really got to finish my LoK rerun among other games I've been juggling.

Was pretty happy to see the game in the top 3 "top purchases" on the XB1 store. At the time the only things beating Ori were the games with gold releases of the month.

Yeah I have to assume it sold fairly decently on XB1 because the only stuff I ever see on the top of that chart are the GWG and F2P stuff.

@thomasmahler

I really hope you guys get all the sales needed to fund another game cause that was awesome to play

Its been a few days since i finished and im just waiting for that NG+ patch so keep playing :)

There are over 300k people who put Ori on their STEAM wishlist, which is immensly impressive - If you want to support us, now would be a good time to convert that wishlist item into an actual sale cause we will be negotiating with publishers about future projects very soon. The sales so far will decide on whether or not we're allowed to make another game like Ori.

We put everything we had into developing Ori and I think there's a huge amount of potential within our team to do even better next time. We want to build the best games out there for you guys - but in return, we ask for a little support in terms of sales. If you guys pirated Ori or only played it at a friends place and enjoyed it, we'd definitely appreciate your support. We live if you give :)

Man, with all the crazy stunts people seem to be doing in all these speedrun videos, it just reminds me of these Mario 64 videos where people just perfect their speedruns down to every single move.

I'd love to see Ori being played that way and it makes me happy that we spent so much time on perfecting the controls :)))

thanks for prioritizing the controls. it's the snappiest platformer i've played by far, such so that it's difficult to play anything else.

Ennosuke

There are over 300k people who put Ori on their STEAM wishlist, which is immensly impressive - If you want to support us, now would be a good time to convert that wishlist item into an actual sale cause we will be negotiating with publishers about future projects very soon. The sales so far will decide on whether or not we're allowed to make another game like Ori.

We put everything we had into developing Ori and I think there's a huge amount of potential within our team to do even better next time. We want to build the best games out there for you guys - but in return, we ask for a little support in terms of sales. If you guys pirated Ori or only played it at a friends place and enjoyed it, we'd definitely appreciate your support. We live if you give :)

I bought it day one on my xbox one. This game is exactly what our industry needs. People need to buy this.
Oh and it looked great at E3 and turned out to be an amazing game for real. Something you cannot say about most of ther other games which were announced at E3.

Good luck you guys! I'm really enjoying Ori so far and would love to play another game that you create. Also enjoyed your interview on the Indoor Kids. :)

I hope this means you're looking for a multi-game deal (with MS hopefully since I want more Ori).

PhatSaqs

Banned

You guys seriously deserve everything. The game is phenomenal and easily on my list of best games in the last 5 years.
I'm doing my part for supporting :)
I have an extra X1 code to the first person to PM their X1 tag :p

edit: codes gone peeps.

I'd love to see Moon take a stab at a more action based metroidvania, something like Super Metroid or Shadow Complex.

Or I sequel is also good, but I want to see Moon tackle other approaches to metroidvania. I feel they'd make a pretty darn kickass action metroidvania.

Detective

You guys deserve the best.3rd playthrou and still feels amazing. Am marketing the hell out of it to all my friends.

For future project Thomas: Wouldnt be cool if those stones we gatherd gives us powers? Like changing the spark or adding fire, wind etc to it .Fight enemies with element. Water against fire / lava enemies and so on ;)

I'd love to see Moon take a stab at a more action based metroidvania, something like Super Metroid or Shadow Complex.

Or I sequel is also good, but I want to see Moon tackle other approaches to metroidvania. I feel they'd make a pretty darn kickass action metroidvania.

I hope not. I like the platforming focus of Ori.

Munki

Finished the game last night. All I can say is that I LOVE THIS GAME.

The only one gripe (minor), is that I wish that after completing the game we have the option to gather the items we had missed before starting the last level.

Just please no console only exclusivity.

Would be very sad to see you guys asking for steam users to help out and then go

"Hey guys! Just got a deal with MS and next one will be ONLY on XONE, no PC release"

=/

RoKKeR

That scene construction video was neat. Makes you appreciate the sheer amount of variety present in the game.

You guys deserve every sale, and I imagine the positive reviews and word of mouth are helping tremendously. To see a difficult metroidvania/platformer that is also a new IP succeed (hopefully) like Ori has should be evidence enough that a sequel/new game from Moon is warranted!

fardeenah

Banned

Would be very sad to see you guys asking for steam users to help out and then go

"Hey guys! Just got a deal with MS and next one will be ONLY on XONE, no PC release"

=/

AMEN TO THAT. i would have bought the game at the end of month if the dollar price was not so freaking high! its like 6 Rupees above the normal rate

=/

I think there's precedent now and I think we'd step on peoples feet if we'd do anything like that, so I'd definitely want to try to make sure that we're always also focusing the PC. Having said that, we're obviously dependent on our publisher, unless we actually sell enough units, so we can just self-finance. In that case, I'm sure the team would want to go multiplatform :)

It must be a horrible feeling to pour your soul into a game and have people pirate it. I really hope you guys hit your target because you deserve it.

This game is beyond being worth the $20 asking price. I would really urge people to buy this. We're all getting tired of the same recycled ideas and DLC heavy AAA games, and here we have a game doing something unique with awesome visuals, awesome music and innovative and addictive gameplay.

Its an amazing experience. I don't play platformers or side scrollers really, and this game is in my top 10 games of all time. I'm 31, so I've played a LOT of games.

Buy this game without reservation guys, it needs to be experienced by lots of people.

I think there's precedent now and I think we'd step on peoples feet if we'd do anything like that, so I'd definitely want to try to make sure that we're always also focusing the PC. Having said that, we're obviously dependent on our publisher, unless we actually sell enough units, so we can just self-finance. In that case, I'm sure the team would want to go multiplatform :)

But that would mean no more Ori from Moon Studios since MS owns the IP. I would be happy for the company, but I want more Nibel stories.

see5harp

thanks for prioritizing the controls. it's the snappiest platformer i've played by far, such so that it's difficult to play anything else.

I went back and played some Rayman, which I had enjoyed originally, but man Ori is just head and shoulders above it. Really hard to go back. Even stuff like wall jumping seemed painfully slow and laggy.

But that would mean no more Ori from Moon Studios since MS owns the IP. I would be happy for the company, but I want more Nibel stories.

We had a great time with Microsoft. They completely understood and supported our vision. We initially even pitched Ori as a much smaller project, but when we all saw what we had and that we could turn this into a much bigger thing, Microsoft understood and re-invested more money into the studio, so we could finish Ori's production in the right way.

Microsoft got a lot of shit from other indie developers (and generally got shit on a lot over the past few months), but thankfully, we haven't had anything but positive experiences with them. Dan, Mark, Torin and everyone who helped with Oris development - You have our thanks! :)

Having said that, I think we're all interested in looking at the world of Nibel again in the future and I already started writing down ideas for what I'd like to do with it - who knows if that will be our next project, but we definitely like our relationship with Microsoft and it's a possibility if they see it as a financial and critical success.

We had a great time with Microsoft. They completely understood and supported our vision. We initially even pitched Ori as a much smaller project, but when we all saw what we had and that we could turn this into a much bigger thing, Microsoft understood and re-invested more money into the studio, so we could finish Ori's production in the right way.

Microsoft got a lot of shit from other indie developers (and generally got shit on a lot over the past few months), but thankfully, we haven't had anything but positive experiences with them. Dan, Mark, Torin and everyone who helped with Oris development - You have our thanks! :)

Having said that, I think we're all interested in looking at the world of Nibel again in the future and I already started writing down ideas for what I'd like to do with it - who knows if that will be our next project, but we definitely like our relationship with Microsoft and it's a possibility if they see it as a financial and critical success.

That's all great stuff to hear. I think it's time to start annoying Phil Spencer with Ori love tweets.

I went back and played some Rayman, which I had enjoyed originally, but man Ori is just head and shoulders above it. Really hard to go back. Even stuff like wall jumping seemed painfully slow and laggy.

We spent a year or so just fine-tuning the controls and perfecting everything in test-levels. Our goal definitely was to look at every 2d platformer ever made and improve upon that. That snappy, pixel-perfect control scheme didn't come easy, but I'm super glad that we spent enough time to really polish it. Controls are everything when it comes to a game like Ori. Ori even had a few more abilities for a long time, which would be interesting to re-evaluate at some point...

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Well, I just did the whole map 100% before going into the 3rd dungeon. You can miss percentages in dungeons themselves though, and those become inaccessible once you complete them.

I am pretty sure I have 100%'ed the first two dungeons, I assume there is no way to check though!

Really enjoying the game so far, the only down side is I am finding it quite easy and have yet to get stuck anywhere. Maybe I hyped myself up too much when reviews came out saying it was hard.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I am pretty sure I have 100%'ed the first two dungeons, I assume there is no way to check though!

Really enjoying the game so far, the only down side is I am finding it quite easy and have yet to get stuck anywhere. Maybe I hyped myself up too much when reviews came out saying it was hard.

You can still view the dungeons on the overall map to check.

p3tran

Banned

=/

but the message thomas is sending is exactly this, at least how I understand it. he asked for users on pc to buy, didnt he?

so, my question for thomas is: the xbox sales. are they looking good enough for you? what do you think?

=/

This also isn't something that's necessarily in their control. Making an exclusive game because a publisher decides to fund it is better than no game at all.

but the message thomas is sending is exactly this, at least how I understand it. he asked for users on pc to buy, didnt he?

so, my question for thomas is: the xbox sales. are they looking good enough for you? what do you think?

I'm saying: If you want to support Moon Studios, buy Ori on whichever platform you like. And then tell everyone you know to buy it, too, so we can make more games for you guys :)

It's a bit mind-boggling that over 300.000 people have Ori on their wishlist, but haven't decided to buy it yet. Maybe that's normal, but I wonder what they're waiting for ;)

I don't think I'm allowed yet to talk about the Xbox and PC sales officially!

I'm saying: If you want to support Moon Studios, buy Ori on whichever platform you like. And then tell everyone you know to buy it, too, so we can make more games for you guys :)

It's a bit mind-boggling that over 300.000 people have Ori on their wishlist, but haven't decided to buy it yet. Maybe that's normal, but I wonder what they're waiting for ;)

Steam sales. I put games there so I get an email when they go on sale.

wouwie

To be honest, as a PS4 owner, i would love to see Moon Studios develop a multiplatform game (all major consoles and pc). There's 20 million potential customers (figuratively speaking ofcourse) on the other side who, i'm sure, would love to play the next game from such a promising and quality studio. This isn't meant as port begging though. I don't have an Xbox One so i invested in a way to play this on pc and i'm fine with that (albeit not so happy with the performance on my pc) but i would love to have the opportunity to add Moon Studios next game to my PS4 library. It has to be said that Microsoft did an excellent job picking this game up so i would understand if Moon Studios would remain exclusive to those platforms.

I hope the patch will be released soon though. I would love to continue playing... I considered starting over but there is no guarantee that i won't encounter the same bug.

p3tran

Banned

its a bit mind boggling, yes, especially since the word and verdict is out that its a fantastic game, and (team vernia) its only 20$ ;)

cheers Thomas, wish you and your team the best
trully fantastic job you did

Top Bottom