• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge 202, June 2009

Willeth

Just dropped through my door.

Cover:
oqc5g5.jpg

Features:
Blur and its social interaction elements
Team Ninja, and remaking an Itagaki game without Itagaki
Advertising games and changing the image from 'alone in a dark room'
The power of XNA and Community Games
Inside Cing

Previews:
BioShock 2
Mafia II
Red Faction: Guerrilla
Punch Out
Terminator Salvation
Lit
Jumpgate Evolution
Colorz
Icarian:Kindred Spirits
Mighty Flip Champs
Neo Steam: The Shattered Continent

Reviews:
Bionic Commando [6]
Demigod [7]
Star Ocean: the Last Hope [5]
Major Minor's Majestic March [3]
Space Invaders Extreme 2 [9]
X-Men Origins: Wolverine [6]
Dynasty Warriors Strikeforce [5]
Ninja Blade [5]
Flock [6]
The Dishwasher: Dead Samurai [8]
Phantasy Star Portable [4]
Balance Of Power: 21st Century [4]

Time Extend:
Maximo: Ghosts To Glory (PS2)

Making Of:
The Incredible Machine (3DO, Mac, PC)

Sadist said:
Would love to read the Bionic Commando bit.

Yeah, Edge scores are pretty pointless when isolated from the review text. Not that the review text always make perfect sense (specifically, the reviews for high scoring games), but the 5s-8s nearly always seem reasonable in context.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Need Bioshock 2/Bionic Commando info, stat!

Willeth

There's not a lot we don't already know about BioShock 2 - takes place ten years later, you're a prototype Big Daddy taking orders from Tenenbaum. Apparently attempts have been made to make the combat more emphasis on setting up combat before you enter it. It worries me a little if only for the Little Sister protection mechanic - when a Sister in harvesting from a corpse, you have to protect her from attacking Splicers. Sound familiar?

Blur (in a n eight-page feature called 'Community Esprit' :lol) opens with the line "PGR is a game that hates players." :lol So Blur focuses on reward rather than challenge. Racing takes place in different cities and countries, with different styles of racing. It has 20-player online events, and local 4-player racing. All the characters in the game are connected to a social network (jokingly called, variously, 'Racebook', 'MyRace', and 'InnerTube'), which is essentially the game interface. It works as you'd expect, with race invitations, fan tracking, your car catalogue, all that stuff. But it doesn't look like your stats will upload to actual Facebook or anything like that. It's just a game mode. There is a separate one for multiplayer for sharing in-game photos etc, but there's no word on whether that will have a web presence.
What you can do is create a race mode that suits you, and put that on the in-game network that other people can join. Essentially that means you have a set of matchmaking playlists that are completely editable by the user. They talk about a group that removed all power-ups and had an honour rule that you had to shout 'Hasselhoff!' when you overtook someone.

Willeth said:
Blur (in a n eight-page feature called 'Community Esprit' :lol) opens with the line "PGR is a game that hates players." :lol So Blur focuses on reward rather than challenge. Racing takes place in different cities and countries, with different styles of racing. It has 20-player online events, and local 4-player racing. All the characters in the game are connected to a social network (jokingly called, variously, 'Racebook', 'MyRace', and 'InnerTube'), which is essentially the game interface. It works as you'd expect, with race invitations, fan tracking, your car catalogue, all that stuff. But it doesn't look like your stats will upload to actual Facebook or anything like that. It's just a game mode. There is a separate one for multiplayer for sharing in-game photos etc, but there's no word on whether that will have a web presence.
What you can do is create a race mode that suits you, and put that on the in-game network that other people can join. Essentially that means you have a set of matchmaking playlists that are completely editable by the user. They talk about a group that removed all power-ups and had an honour rule that you had to shout 'Hasselhoff!' when you overtook someone.

Sounds awesome. Is that all or is there more?

Also is there any rumors in the mag?

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
These were some unused cover lines

When King of Fighters meets MySpace
When ChuChu Rocket meets Twitter
When Ecco the Dolphin meets Flickr
When Boogerman: A Pick and Flick Adventure meets TinyURL

ram

Willeth said:
Blur (in a n eight-page feature called 'Community Esprit' :lol) opens with the line "PGR is a game that hates players." :lol So Blur focuses on reward rather than challenge. Racing takes place in different cities and countries, with different styles of racing. It has 20-player online events, and local 4-player racing. All the characters in the game are connected to a social network (jokingly called, variously, 'Racebook', 'MyRace', and 'InnerTube'), which is essentially the game interface. It works as you'd expect, with race invitations, fan tracking, your car catalogue, all that stuff. But it doesn't look like your stats will upload to actual Facebook or anything like that. It's just a game mode. There is a separate one for multiplayer for sharing in-game photos etc, but there's no word on whether that will have a web presence. What you can do is create a race mode that suits you, and put that on the in-game network that other people can join. Essentially that means you have a set of matchmaking playlists that are completely editable by the user. They talk about a group that removed all power-ups and had an honour rule that you had to shout 'Hasselhoff!' when you overtook someone.

sounds interesting, hopefully there will be a full fleshed out singleplayer mode too.

Willeth

UltimaPooh said:
Sounds awesome. Is that all or is there more?

Also is there any rumors in the mag?
There's more, but I'm not typing out eight pages! It's an interview, and it's worth reading. Buy the mag or wait for it to appear on their site.

The Cing article is about how they were created and became 'one of Nintendo's favourite studios'. The only thing I'm really able to pull out of it is that Cing want to be known for their ideas.

banKai said:
oh nice. do we know more about it?

Beyond new playable characters, Sigma 2 will feature an all-new online co-op mode that lets you and a friend team up to work your way through more than 30 challenge stages, which can be played in one of four difficulty settings. Your performance will be ranked and uploaded to leaderboards so you can see how you stack up against the world. The stages will be a mix of original areas and those seen in the single-player game, which are being redone for co-op play.

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/ninjagaidensigma2/news.html?sid=6206597

Haunted

"when Need For Speed meets facebook" might just be one of the most off-putting sentences I've ever read about a videogame.

Willeth's description of the article sounds ok, though. :p

Weak month for reviews, Bionic Commando [6] - hm.

Sandman7

Did anyone else see the words 'Dark Cloud' on the bottom right of the cover and get excited before realising it wasnt about a Level 5 sequel?

Burai

shitonmychest57
Willeth said:
Blur (in a n eight-page feature called 'Community Esprit' :lol) opens with the line "PGR is a game that hates players." :lol So Blur focuses on reward rather than challenge.

I'm a bit worried about that. There's a tendency for racers to just award shit for doing very little. I think Burnout Revenge was probably the zenith, awarding trophies and medals and stars and points for practically anything you could do to give a sense of progression even though you hadn't actually done anything to earn it.

"You accidentally fell off of a bridge and landed on a van! 5,000,000 POINTS!!"

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Burai said:
I'm a bit worried about that. There's a tendency for racers to just award shit for doing very little. I think Burnout Revenge was probably the zenith, awarding trophies and medals and stars and points for practically anything you could do to give a sense of progression even though you hadn't actually done anything to earn it.

Sounds like you're describing Excite Truck there :p

Willeth said:
There's not a lot we don't already know about BioShock 2 - takes place ten years later, you're a prototype Big Daddy taking orders from Tenenbaum. Apparently attempts have been made to make the combat more emphasis on setting up combat before you enter it. It worries me a little if only for the Little Sister protection mechanic - when a Sister in harvesting from a corpse, you have to protect her from attacking Splicers. Sound familiar?
You fail.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
I love the Edge, I just hate their ratings 99% of the time, I wish they did a special subscription model where you could opt to have the Edge without the game ratings printed, would be good as an experiment as you wouldn't be alienating anyone.

Walshicus

Burai said:

Sounds to me that someone didn't get their "go faster" achievement...

Top Bottom