• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I am reading a terrible book and I can't stop. More info at http://www.neogaf.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cade

I...

Edit: Actually this is probably by someone with the same name lol. Sorry about that. Their other book has a different name listed.

Aw, I wish it was this guy. He sounds actually bonkers AND he reviewed his own book. Our Rick Chapman is just a nice guy who got off on the wrong foot.

aaaaa0

So a guy who couldn't parse basic forum button usage and doesn't understand the concept of internet handles wrote a novel about hacktivists, advanced physics, and quantum mechanics?
To be fair, William Gibson had no idea how to use a computer and had never so much as logged onto any network, either. He wrote Neuromancer on a old manual typewriter...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Gibson#Visionary_influence_and_prescience
Wikipedia said:
When an interviewer in 1988 asked about the Bulletin Board System jargon in his writing, Gibson answered "I'd never so much as touched a PC when I wrote Neuromancer"; he was familiar, he said, with the science-fiction community, which overlapped with the BBS community. Gibson similarly did not play computer games despite appearing in his stories. He wrote Neuromancer on a 1927 olive-green Hermes portable typewriter, which Gibson described as "the kind of thing Hemingway would have used in the field".

I feel like after 50 Shades of Grey anybody can write something awful and the lottery might pick them and they'll strike it rich next.

I need to write bad fanfiction and publish it on Amazon, what am I doing with my life

According to sirap (who STILL won't answer my questions), you just need to write some shoddy erotica short stories and you'll be earning 10k a month.

Oh my god.

screenshot_2015-03-23aqb0b.png

For those of you just joining us...

Ofi6v5J.jpg

Slayven had been reading a novel which he had discovered on Amazon Kindle's store service. It was a somewhat baffling sounding tale about hackers, manga, and other wackiness that Slayven found to be awful in an enjoyable way. NeoGAF began to dissect the novel's strangeness when out of the blue, the novel's author, Rick Chapman-- Author "Rule-Set: A Novel of a Quantum Future," (More info at ***************************) appeared in the flesh... online, to talk about his new novel and the forum's interest regarding some it's more peculiar qualities.

A rather strange Manga of the 80s that was rather popular in Japan. I cracked up when I read about it and had to mention it in the book.

Rick Chapman
Author "Rule-Set: A Novel of a Quantum Future."

Notably, Rick Chapman-- Author "Rule-Set: A Novel of a Quantum Future," (More info at ***************************) seemed to have some difficulty using the forum features of GAF. He quoted users by using post titles. He double-posted. And he ended every post with a signature. This drew the ridicule of many GAFfers, who mocked Rick Chapman-- Author "Rule-Set: A Novel of a Quantum Future," (More info at ***************************)'s posting style.

Some good-natured ribbing ensued, although some users felt a little guilty when they found out Rick Chapman-- Author "Rule-Set: A Novel of a Quantum Future," (More info at ***************************)'s age.

+++ This sounds like some pretentious neckbeard fantasy. +++

Nah. I'm 61. At my age, it's the spiky white nose hair problem I have to deal with.

+++ Like you through everything +++

Nah. I threw in the stuff I was interested in. I started programming on Trash Ones, so I'm interested in quantum computing and programming.

I programmed in TurboProlog and Lisp and sat in movie theaters and got contact highs from 2001 while everyone grokked Hal 9000. So I'm interested in AI.

I've always been interested in physics, so I threw that in.

My best friend's daughter was into manga. One day, I went to some manga sites and got interested in that.

I cannot believe that the US abandoned the SSC and that the Euros are kicking our ass on the most advanced scientific work in the world. So I set the novel in Waxahachie, for most of the first book.

Everyone is interested in VR.

I've worked in high tech for a long time and have some ideas on what's happening now and how it will be play out in the future.

It's all stuff I'm interested in.

Rick Chapman
Author "Rule-Set: A Novel of a Quantum Future"
More info at ***************************

Never-the-less, the mocking continued. SunhiLegend himself arrived to give his own spin on the matter.

But, it all proved too much for Rick Chapman-- Author "Rule-Set: A Novel of a Quantum Future," (More info at ***************************), and he departed from us all too soon.

Yeah. I think I'll withdraw from this site. Something not quite right when the use of your own name is frowned upon. My name is not rickchapman. My name is Rick Chapman. I'm not Number Six, either.

Best of luck.

Goodbye.

Oh my god.

screenshot_2015-03-23aqb0b.png

And so, it all came to an end. We were all left even more bewildered than we were when the thread began. Will Rick Chapman-- Author "Rule-Set: A Novel of a Quantum Future," (More info at ***************************) ever return? Will he finish his four sequels to the novel? Does Slayven possess some ability to summon the authors of creations he complains about? If so, we should probably make sure he never reviews Mein Kampf.

I'm Lionel Mandrake
Author, The Butterchurner: An Erotic Amish Sci-Fi Epic
More info at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WyWWAgtjYc

Goodnight.

Logged into Facebook a few hours ago. Friends sharing. Left after a few minutes. Kinda utilitarian, depressing, Communist. Not for loners.

Ecotic

This thread played out like a tragedy of the commons. All of us would've enjoyed grazing on that field of grass, and if properly managed the field of grass would've lasted a long, long time, but it wouldn't hurt if *I* personally overgraze. No, no, that would only happen if we all overgrazed. Now all that's left is an (admittedly glorious) pile of shit.

greepoman

Damn a mod went through and deleted all his self-promotion signatures...kinda makes the thread lose it's effect. BringBackTheSigs.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom