• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Punch-Out!! Thread of Reliving Our Childhoods

Also, that video preview allowed me to finally create the final version of this:

idgca8.jpg

It's looking great, definitely looking forward to this. I absolutely love the animations in the new videos. There's one with Don Flamenco in the GT preview that's subtly awesome. When Mac dodges an uppercut and is about to counter with a star-punch, Don's facial expression shift is absolutely priceless. Give me this game now.

Where the hell is all this
Doc Louis is the dream fight
info. coming from?

If it turns out to be true I'm going to punch you all in the goddamn face

Wii Will Rock U said:
Seriously, who is giving out these hints? I have looked all over!

GameInformer preview
"there are great plans for Doc Louis"
Official Nintendo magazine review:
"The Dream Fight its a little surprise for fans, but we wont spoil that"

The quotes are not exactly like that.

Aaron Strife said:
Where the hell is all this
Doc Louis is the dream fight
info. coming from?

If it turns out to be true I'm going to punch you all in the goddamn face

Ive always put the spoiler tags, so dont punch me:lol

Duderz

Banned
GAF, I've never played a Punch Out, and I've got 600 Wii Points. Should I get Punch Out for the NES, or Super Punch Out?

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Duderz said:
GAF, I've never played a Punch Out, and I've got 600 Wii Points. Should I get Punch Out for the NES, or Super Punch Out?

Both, and then curse your parents for not having the sense to procreate 25 years ago.

PantherLotus said:
Both, and then curse your parents for not having the sense to procreate 25 years ago.

This! Man, such good times playing Mike Tyson's punch out. The NES days were truly the greatest. Growing up in the 80's? Nothing like it.

Mr Sandman and Soda Popinski CONFIRMED

2gwcrwj.jpg

2nvbdxt.jpg

Here goes the list right now (and if anything wrong happens its the final one):

Minor Circuit:
-Glass Joe
-Von Kaiser
-Disco Kid
-King Hippo (Minor Circuit title holder)

Major Circuit:
-Piston Hondo
-Bear Hugger
-Great Tiger
-Don Flamenco
-Bald Bull (Major Circuit Title Holder)

World Circuit:
-Aran Ryan
-Soda Popinski
-Mr Sandman
-Super Macho Man (World Circuit Title Holder) ONLY SEMI CONFIRMED

The Dream Fight:
-Doc Louis
Only hinted, so take this with a grain of salt.

Downhome

LovingSteam said:
This! Man, such good times playing Mike Tyson's punch out. The NES days were truly the greatest. Growing up in the 80's? Nothing like it.

Back when the original Punch Out came out, MIKE TYSON, me and one of my cousins played it to death. I'll never forget us playing, and as one of us played the game the other one gave pep talks, patted each other on the back, rubbed shoulders, just acted like it was a real boxing match. Awesome, awesome times. :lol

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
LovingSteam said:
my wife and I were just talking about this. Every generation sees their fads and styles come back... 50s came back in the 70s. 60s late 80s. 70s early 90s.. etc. but the 80s. That era was one of the very few instances of its own era (kind of like the 60s actually). 80s was still poular in the 90s. in the 00s. etc. you still here about 80s music. 80s cartoons. 80s movies. 80s video games. 80s pop culture I guess was just one of those things that will always be relevant, much like the 60s before it. kind of weird.

but anyway, I agree. nothing like being a child of the 80s.

as for Punch Out NES.. it is definitely one of the few games from that era that is every bit as magnificent today as it was 20 years ago. my daughter who typically dislikes video games from that era (8 years old and not much into games to start with) totally got into me going through punch out. Started cheering for me, yelling at the TV, etc. Then she even asked to give it a try herself (didn't get far though :( )Stick kids today in front of a lot of NES or even SNES games and they scoff at the low visual quality compared to today's titles. Throw them in front of a select few though and they become engrossed in the game like it was a modern day title. Punch Out is one of those.

SpacePirate Ridley said:
Mr Sandman and Soda Popinski CONFIRMED

2gwcrwj.jpg

2nvbdxt.jpg

Here goes the list right now (and if anything wrong happens its the final one):

Minor Circuit:
-Glass Joe
-Von Kaiser
-Disco Kid
-King Hippo (Minor Circuit title holder)

Major Circuit:
-Piston Hondo
-Bear Hugger
-Great Tiger
-Don Flamenco
-Bald Bull (Major Circuit Title Holder)

World Circuit:
-Aran Ryan
-Soda Popinski
-Mr Sandman
-Super Macho Man (World Circuit Title Holder) ONLY SEMI CONFIRMED

The Dream Fight:
-Doc Louis
Only hinted, so take this with a grain of salt.

:bow :bow :bow

While I suspect the dude is just incorrect, I was told at GameStop today that the game is coming out the 16th after I reserved it. I didn't realize this was a Saturday until after I left the store so I couldn't press him on it. But, you know, FYI. I guess there's a tiny chance they're breaking the street date the same day as the Nintendo World Store event.

Struct09

Joe Shlabotnik said:
While I suspect the dude is just incorrect, I was told at GameStop today that the game is coming out the 16th after I reserved it. I didn't realize this was a Saturday until after I left the store so I couldn't press him on it. But, you know, FYI. I guess there's a tiny chance they're breaking the street date the same day as the Nintendo World Store event.

The game doesn't have a hard street date, so if Gamestop was correct in what they told you and they do get it on Saturday, they can sell it. It ships out to most retailers next Monday (5/18).

I'll have it tomorrow

Captain N said:
i just found out my wife bought me the Little Mac glove for my birthday. She also got me the king hippo set.

You lucky son of a bitch.

Congrats, you have a great wife ;)

I would buy the Little Mac glove if amazon send it to europe, but it says only america :(

BTW Could you take some photos of the Hippo kit and the glove.

Lambtron said:
I actually have that preorder slip in my car. I will check this out when I leave work.

Could you take a better photo of Popinski and Sandman (if its Sandman, because im thinking it could be emo Don Flamenco). Thanks in advance.

The Hermit

I hate this thread... it spoiled the entire game for me...

I know, the paterns and all are what makes the gmae, but I still wanted to see them one by one... especially the dream fight, that only space ridley spoiler tagged it. :/

Baiano19 said:
I hate this thread... it spoiled the entire game for me...

I know, the paterns and all are what makes the gmae, but I still wanted to see them one by one... especially the dream fight, that only space ridley spoiler tagged it. :/

Dont worry, maybe is not what we think.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
SpacePirate Ridley said:
Could you take a better photo of Popinski and Sandman (if its Sandman, because im thinking it could be emo Don Flamenco). Thanks in advance.
I'll scan it when I get home. :)

I always thought it would be awesome if it was Rocky Balboa.

Well, is yet possible, and I would love to see a Rocky caricature shouting Adrian between rounds.
:D

The uderdog vs the underdog. Now that would be awesome.
He would never loose the title (like Tyson) as he is a ficitional character and it would be an excellent tribute to the Rocky saga that thanks to it we have this amazing games created by Genyo Takeda.

Lambtron said:
I'll scan it when I get home. :)
Thanks a lot ;)

RBH

Just a quick heads-up, Target is selling an exclusive Punch Out bundle with the game and a nunchuck for just $54, according to Wario64.

MisterHero

SpacePirate Ridley said:
I always thought it would be awesome if it was Rocky Balboa.
That would be so awesome. I already made Rocky, Apollo, and Drago Miis for WiiBoxing though.

but Rocky would be insane

MisterHero said:
That would be so awesome. I already made Rocky, Apollo, and Drago Miis for WiiBoxing though.

but Rocky would be insane

Just imagine:
With Stallone voice: "You did a great fight kid, thanks for boxing against me"
"Ive never seen a fighter as you Mac, you remeber me when I was young" :lol

I would cry tears of mother fucking joy if I beat a punch-out game and I hear Stallone say that to me as Rocky.

Marvie_3 said:
Doesn't make sense. Rocky never loses! Would be the hardest final boss ever!

He loses in the movies, you could win him by decision. You have to gain lots of pints to wn of course. That would make it hard and the same as the movies!

bumpkin

Marvie_3 said:
Doesn't make sense. Rocky never loses! Would be the hardest final boss ever!
*Kevin Spacey WRONG! gif*

He got beaten by Apollo in the first movie, beaten badly and lost the title to Clubber Lang in III, was beaten to the point of brain damage at the end of IV, and lost -- though he fought valiantly -- at the end of VI.

But... I agree he'd put up one hell of a fight! :D

AndresON777

shooting blanks
I hope the waggle controls are good so I can sweat. Very excited about the game almost bought the old ones on vc last night.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
RBH said:
Just a quick heads-up, Target is selling an exclusive Punch Out bundle with the game and a nunchuck for just $54, according to Wario64.

Getting that one then. I got a fifty dollar gift card from Target that I should already use.

FoxHimself said:
I should have the game this evening! Can't wait to kick (punch) some ass.

Please, show us all the menu, at least in photos.
And talk about the music, not just the fighting theme, but the intro theme (I hope its again the look sharp / be sharp march from gillete as it was in the original), the menu theme, etc...

And see if theres some sork of gallery to unlock, or extra unlocackables.

Thanks in advance.

FoxHimself said:
Review copy. I'll see what I can do about videos and pictures. I don't know if I can get you direct feed vids today, but at least I have my trusty cell phone camera until tomorrow :)

Even if its from a old black and white camera it would be awesome ;)

I'm heading out to eat a late dinner, so I'll update later tonight, but I got the game. It's got a "Gallery" menu which has a "Watch Movies" as well as a "Sound Test" and credits, which is awesome. I still haven't actually played the game though. ;)

2z40k5e.jpg

Does somedy knows when are they going to upload the punch-out video in 1-up night gaming from yesterday. It says today wednesday, but at which hour.

FoxHimself said:
I'm heading out to eat a late dinner, so I'll update later tonight, but I got the game. It's got a "Gallery" menu which has a "Watch Movies" as well as a "Sound Test" and credits, which is awesome. I still haven't actually played the game though. ;)

Thanks very much, really aniticipating the info.

Struct09

Captain N said:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/TakeOverWiFi/poback.jpg[IMG]

any word on if this if the final art for the back?[/QUOTE]

I don't have my copy sitting next to me right now, so I can't say if it's identical, but yeah that's what the back looks like.

Top Bottom