• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikkei : New Wii Fit this Fall and new Mario game this year.

laserbeam

Banned
The article does indeed mention bolstering the sales of the Wii with Mario so we can at least confirm its a Wii Game and if its gonna bolster sales it cant be a quick cash in mario by that logic

dyls

Since I first touched the Wiimote, I've thought a Mario Paintball game would be amazing. Either first- or third-person, running around various familiar locales, blasting Wario with pinpoint IR aiming. Probably won't ever happen, but it gets my vote.

laserbeam said:
The article does indeed mention bolstering the sales of the Wii with Mario so we can at least confirm its a Wii Game and if its gonna bolster sales it cant be a quick cash in mario by that logic

Not really. It's perhaps arguable that something like Mario Party, or Mario Kart would do more to bolster Wii sales than a hypothetical SMG2. MP8 was a big success, and Mario Kart was (is) a phenomenon. SMG by comparison sold very well - outselling SMS, and nearly hitting 1 million in Japan - but it didn't seem to drive hardware in the same way, and it's certainly a lower seller than other Mario titles. It's a prestige game, and one that adds to the library, but it doesn't appear to have been a system-seller in the way other titles have been.

laserbeam

Banned
Cosmonaut X said:
Not really. It's perhaps arguable that something like Mario Party, or Mario Kart would do more to bolster Wii sales than a hypothetical SMG2. MP8 was a big success, and Mario Kart was (is) a phenomenon. SMG by comparison sold very well - outselling SMS, and nearly hitting 1 million in Japan - but it didn't seem to drive hardware in the same way, and it's certainly a lower seller than other Mario titles. It's a prestige game, and one that adds to the library, but it doesn't appear to have been a system-seller in the way other titles have been.

Japan wise Mario party 8 sold maybe an additional 400k over Galaxy. Mario really doesnt have a huge appeal I think compared to other regions so its interesting they intend to boltster weak Wii Sales with Mario.

They must have something they think can be a big hit.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
WiiFit Plus?

wv5nk9.jpg

WiiFit Plus Nintendogs

laserbeam said:
Japan wise Mario party 8 sold maybe an additional 400k over Galaxy. Mario really doesnt have a huge appeal I think compared to other regions so its interesting they intend to boltster weak Wii Sales with Mario.

They must have something they think can be a big hit.

Super Mario RPG 2 by IS and SE using the Galaxy engine.

BAM! 3 million sales instantly.

Nightbringer

Don´t hit me for my bad english plase
Super Mario Wii

-Joint venture between EAD Kimura and EAD Tokyo.

-Uses Galaxy Engine

-Super Mario Bros classic playability and design, it is a 2D platformer.

-Is part of the trilogy of Nintendo traditional games that had an hube success in DS and has been ported to DS, Mario Kart and Animal Crossing were the first two, Super Mario Wii is the last one.

tim1138

Nightbringer said:
Super Mario Wii

-Joint venture between EAD Kimura and EAD Tokyo.

-Uses Galaxy Engine

-Super Mario Bros classic playability and design, it is a 2D platformer.

-Is part of the trilogy of Nintendo traditional games that had an hube success in DS and has been ported to DS, Mario Kart and Animal Crossing were the first two, Super Mario Wii is the last one.

That would be amazing.

dkeane

Count Dookkake said:
I'm all for another Wii Fit, but I'd rather see a Wario fitness game.
Ha that would be funny. It's nice they're adding the ability to go online with your progress. Hopefully they'll have some Motion + exercises.

Door2Dawn said:
Yeah but Nintendo hasn't officially announced Wii Fit plus. Biiig difference.
They sure haven't been trying to keep it under wraps seeing as we have known about this for sometime now. Same as Pokemon GS DS . . . oddly enuff no one saw the trade-mark for that one.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Black-Wind said:
They sure haven't been trying to keep it under wraps seeing as we have known about this for sometime now. Same as Pokemon GS DS . . . oddly enuff no one saw the trade-mark for that one.
Well, when I last saw them update the Pokemon trademarks they trademarked about 15 colors at once, so people probably thought they were just trademarking everything.

Talladega Knight said:
Eating a bunch of shit, farting and belching, how to hoard money, etc.

Exactly.

It could be centered around Wario's scheme to cash in on the fitness craze, so he opens up a low-rent gym. Call it Wario Strongman Fitness!

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I bet Mario, and probably the next Zelda, will use Wii Fit.

Tiktaalik

I hope the new Mario game is NSMB2. Financially that'd make more sense than a Galaxy 2. It boggles my mind that Nintendo still hasn't released a NSMB2 yet.

laserbeam

Banned
Tiktaalik said:
I hope the new Mario game is NSMB2. Financially that'd make more sense than a Galaxy 2. It boggles my mind that Nintendo still hasn't released a NSMB2 yet.

Its mentioned as a Wii Mario game so NSMB2 continues to hide from us :(

Tiktaalik said:

Considering it's STILL charting in most regions, it shouldn't boggle your mind.
Honestly, they'd be more likely to keep cashing in on that while trying something new on Wii.

donny2112

vareon said:
I get the feeling that I'm the only person that enjoyed Super Paper Mario.

I thought it was fine, but I was expecting an entire game made like the Bowser levels in Paper Mario: TTYD. What I got was a platformer that was too heavy on the RPG. I liked Paper Mario: TTYD, so I got over it. However, I would've been happier with a full game of the Bowser levels. :D

Alright, you guys asked for it, so I translated both the Nikkei Net article, and the transcribed Nikkei Shimbun article. I tried to be as literal as I could to avoid any misunderstanding.

Nikkei Net said:
Nintendo planning a new Wii Fit this Fall.

Nintendo is aiming to announce a new Wii Fit this fall. Making use of network functionalities, you'll be able to compete with distant friends or family members in weighting or health "competitions". The measurement of the weight or the center of gravity will be improved compared to the current version. The second half of the year will also see the release of a new entry in the popular "Mario" game series. Their aim is to support the decelerating sales of the Wii video game console.

Wii Fit is a game that uses the "balance board" to measure your weight or center of gravity, allows you to train your muscles, practice yoga, maintain your balance, exercise your oxygenation, and forge you body. Supported by non-gamers throughout the world, it has sold more than 18 million copies to date.
Nikkei Shimbun said:
Nintendo planning a new Wii Fit this Fall.

They aim to support the slowing sales of the Wii video games console.

Wii Fit is a game that uses the "balance board" to measure your weight or center of gravity, allows you to train your muscles, practice yoga, maintain your balance, exercise your oxygenation, and forge you body. Supported by non-gamers throughout the world, it has sold more than 18 million copies to date.

The new "Wii Fit Plus" game will now allow you to compare your body weight or health with friends and distant family members, thanks to an added online functionality. Additionally, improved measurement capabilities will allow for a better health control. Special exercises aimed at aged people, and destined to lower their body charge, will also be added.

Due to lack of hit Wii games in the first half of the year, domestic sales of the console have been somehow worsening. Because of the strong feeling that North American sales did reach a peak last year, it has been evocated that there was a demand for new software releases.

So yeah, it doesn't look like they're speculating to me. They seem pretty damn sure of their infos.

Tiktaalik

AceBandage said:
Considering it's STILL charting in most regions, it shouldn't boggle your mind.
Honestly, they'd be more likely to keep cashing in on that while trying something new on Wii.

Well that's certainly true. Maybe though a DSi exclusive downloadable Mario could be a good idea to spur sales of the DSi.

Penguin

djblackice said:
Rumor:

New Mario game is where Mario is lost in various Nintendo games like a museum of NES games.

That would be an awesome game... if it doesn't star Mario seeing how he was in a ton of NES games anyhow.

And sounds ripe for a new franchise character.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Let's not get too excited over "new Mario". Could be anything.

Grecco said:
Cant see this being Galaxy 2 (Hope it isnt)

What in the world else would you rather it be than a sequel to the greatest 3D platformer ever?

So it's for Wii, and not WiiWare (since DD games won't improve sales much)

- Next 3D Mario - too soon?
- New 2D Mario - sells much better than the 3D incarnations
- Mario Party 9 - always sell bucketloads in Japan
- Mario Tennis - with RPGs elements like the portables versions, yummy... though not gonna happen with Camelot
- Super Paper Mario 2
- Paper Mario 3

Mario Party 9 most likely... but a new 2D Mario would probably bolster Wii sales more than any of those.

I just want NoA to give a release date for Mario & Luigi 3.

Why doesn't Nintendo make a 2D Mario for the Wii? Why are 3D Mario's console exclusives and 2D one's handheld exclusives?

Maxrpg said:
It's Super Paper Mario 2 guys.

Hell ya! I really enjoyed Super Paper Mario. Here's hoping they flesh out the platforming segments a bit more as well as use the motion controls and pointer much more effectively.

AntMurda

If Nintendo was hinting to Nikkei (and investors) about a sneak preview to why they would be bolstering sales for the Wii holiday season, I doubt that Nintendo would champion Mario Party 9 as one of their big titles over something's Nintendo best designers were working on.

If the source mentioned Wii Fit Plus and a new entry in the Mario series. I would assume a new real Mario game. Though it may not necessarily be SMG2.

But that's me.

Nirolak said:
Well, when I last saw them update the Pokemon trademarks they trademarked about 15 colors at once, so people probably thought they were just trademarking everything.
Allaccordingtokeikaku.gif

Seems like they were right when they said "you hide the truth like you hide a leaf or a book . . . you put it somewhere no one would notice" (AKA a forest or a library).

Still seems kinda trippy that no one noticed "Heart GOLD/ Soul SILVER". Make yau want to dig up their other TMs.

omg rite said:
Let's not get too excited over "new Mario". Could be anything.

What in the world else would you rather it be than a sequel to the greatest 3D platformer ever?

Because Galaxy just came out. You don't make the greatest 3D platformer within 2 years either.

MoogPaul

I can't see a new Mario Party using the balance board. No one has four balance boards.
I can't see a new Paper Mario since IS has been said to be working on a new FE.
I can't see a new NSMB because it still sells a bajillion copies.

TreIII

Wii Will Rock U said:
This or the NES museum thing? JEEZ. I WANT BOTH.

What if it WAS both, in one? :D

I would gladly sop up such a game like a biscuit.

"JUST STICK IT TO MY VEINS!" :lol

loosus

Banned
Sequel to New Super Mario Bros.? Fuck yeah.

Anything else? Keep your fucking stupid Mario universe to yourself, Nintendo.

Top Bottom