• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scribblenauts Preview/Impressions Thread - You will say "wow." (see post #217)

Blackhead

Redarse
McBacon said:
abtv0m.jpg
:lol

Blizzard

Banned
Bluemercury said:
What about videogame characters? Say like Mario...?
Quoting for new page:
Jackson said:
So I'll restate the rules here...

Concrete Objects Only
No Proper Nouns
No Copyrighted Words
No Adjectives
E-E10 rated words only - this means No Vulgar/Offensive/Lewd/Drug/Alcohol related words

Other than that... it works
So, if you typed in "plumber" there MIGHT be a parody plumber that somewhat resembles Mario, but without Nintendo's permission they presumably couldn't use it.

Also for anyone who hasn't seen it, it supports handwriting recognition -and- an onscreen keyboard.

jepense

Blizzard said:
Scribblenauts is educational. I don't think I ever knew what a kappa was before this thread.
Oh yeah. Though it's not the point, I think it will be very good for kids for learning spelling - and for the children of us non-natively English speaking folks, it will be a great way to learn English playing with daddy.

I personally have two things I want try once I get my hands on this (besides the real game of course). First, I will walk around the house (or watch TV or surf the net, whatever) and type in everything I see and can name, just to see how they are presented in the game. At this point, I firmly believe I'll be unable to come up with something the game doesn't know with this method. Then, I will try entering gibberish and see what madness the spellchecker suggests.

Vitet

jepense said:
Oh yeah. Though it's not the point, I think it will be very good for kids for learning spelling - and for the children of us non-natively English speaking folks, it will be a great way to learn English playing with daddy.

That's true, but anyway the game will be fully localized in Europe

Blizzard said:
Quoting for new page:

So, if you typed in "plumber" there MIGHT be a parody plumber that somewhat resembles Mario, but without Nintendo's permission they presumably couldn't use it.

Also for anyone who hasn't seen it, it supports handwriting recognition -and- an onscreen keyboard.

Well what about those cartoons like futurame, simpsons and family guy, they clearly had a parody mario in there, and they clearly called him mario.....mario is not copyrighted as there's plenty of pple called mario and probably plumber's too.....am i wrong?

Vitet

Bluemercury said:
Well what about those cartoons like futurame, simpsons and family guy, they clearly had a parody mario in there, and they clearly called him mario.....mario is not copyrighted as there's plenty of pple called mario and probably plumber's too.....am i wrong?

You can parody without problems with those characters I think

jepense

Vitet said:
That's true, but anyway the game will be fully localized in Europe
Not in my native language. Oh heck, the game will probably launch first in America so I'll import it, but I should also get a euro version later to brush up my French... :D

Brannon

You probably could parody Mario in Scribblenauts, but at the same time, Nintendo does own everything DS development related (came out wrong) so there's that.

Enoch

I hadn't heard of this game until today. Randomly clicking on this thread was a very very good choice. This is now my most anticipated game, I have faith the puzzles and levels with be as inspired as the core mechanic. I just keep saying "wow".

I'd really like to read an in depth interview with the developers, I can't imagine the amount of work this would take. (actually, this ign interview is kind of what I was looking for.)

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
If you're allowed to type in "Mario" then I'm going to try that to see if he tries to get the Starite for himself. Would be funny.

Anyway, I am definitely getting this game. It's games like these that are the most interesting, the ones that push the genre to new heights.

Nocebo

First thing I'm going to try is conjure up a propellor hat (easy) and impress some hoes with my sense of style. Also after that I'm going to spawn all the other head wear I can think of and have maxwell wear them.

RyuKanSan

Feep said:
I had played all the big titles at E3. Private showings of God of War III, Heavy Rain, Alan Wake. But at 4:00 on Thursday, I was wandering around the show floor, wondering what else I had to see. I saw a small little booth for "Scribblenauts!" in the Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment section. I mean, who goes to that booth? But I remember hearing about it on GAF, and so I decided to check it out.

Best game of E3? Without a fucking doubt. Anyone who says otherwise did not play Scribblenauts. Best game of all time? Jesus Christ, I don't know, maybe. It's a game that challenges your IMAGINATION. No other game has ever done that.

So listen to this story. I was in the early levels; I didn't quite have an idea of how ridiculously in-depth the database was. I was summoning things like ladders, glasses of water, rayguns, what have you. But I reached a level with zombie robots, and the zombie robots kept killing me. Rayguns didn't work, a torch didn't work, a pickaxe didn't work. In my frustration, I wrote in "Time Machine". And one popped up. What the fuck? A smile dawned on my face. I hopped in, and the option was given to me to either travel to the past or the future. I chose past. When I hopped out, there were fucking dinosaurs walking around. I clicked one, and realized I could RIDE THEM. So I hopped on a fucking DINOSAUR, traveled back to the present, and stomped the shit out of robot zombies. Did you just read that sentence? Did you really? I FUCKING TRAVELED THROUGH TIME AND JUMPED ON A DINOSAUR AND USED IT TO KILL MOTHERFUCKING ROBOT ZOMBIES. This game is unbelievable. Impossible. There's nothing you can't do.

Holy fucking shit.

Sir here is a blank check...write any number on it and I will pay it.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Mario won't probably spawn anything, but I'd be surprised if you wrote down plumber and the one it spawned didn't have a mustache.

Ramenman

Bluemercury said:
What about videogame characters? Say like Mario...?

Pretty sure if you type "plumber" he will have a mustache and a salopette, after all in the trailer we see that if you type in "crowbar" and get Maxwell to use it, it will dress him as Gordon Freeman.

mj1108

~Devil Trigger~ said:
i wonder what would happen if you type in NeoGAF:lol

Jackson confirmed a couple pages back that GAF is in the game. Not sure if you'll type GAF or NeoGAF, though.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
CTLance said:
Just a thought experiment: We're talking far in excess of 5000 manhours here, if that's the case. There are tens of thousands of objects according to the devs, so at the very least we'll get 20k.

20 000 * 15 / 60 = 5 000

That is some serious work right there. So don't think it's all that easy to make. A single guy would work for nearly one and a half year day in, day out (assuming 10 hours of productiveness per day and no holidays or weekends) - and that's a seriously optimistic best-case estimate. Keep in mind that this would only account for some of the assets of objectnaut, not the game itself.

I do believe that Jackson & Co are faster (and smarter) than that, but it doesn't diminish the amount of work that they put into this project. Just think about it. Tens of thousands of objects. It's a nightmare even if every object is done within fifteen seconds (which would be a ridiculous assumption). There's still the entire game that would need to be coded, with level editor, online sharing, touchscreen implementation, scoring, achievements, and all the other crap they managed to stuff in there.

I'm not trying to diminish the work at all. I'm just saying that I doubt coding individual objects is some sort of small miracle. Once they have the basic framework in place, I bet making objects is relatively easy. Time-consuming, certainly, but not super difficult.

Blizzard

Banned
ZealousD said:
I'm not trying to diminish the work at all. I'm just saying that I doubt coding individual objects is some sort of small miracle. Once they have the basic framework in place, I bet making objects is relatively easy. Time-consuming, certainly, but not super difficult.
I would agree in general, but the interaction would be crazy if they made some objects do specific things. Like, common things (rope, glue) would hopefully work well together. But given the complicated nature of stuff like the time machine and teleporter (which apparently also acted like a time machine?), that's a fair bit of programming for more complex items.

Incredible game. I'm trying to bring the hype machine in full gear on other forums I go to and with some buddies.

I do have one question for Jackson - the Nintendo Power article claims there are 280 levels, going against the 220 I've heard elsewhere. I'm kind of a level whore, so could you confirm the 220 number? And is that a final number?

Thanks for the lightning quick reply.

And do you mean like...if I type in "Post 217" I'll actually get something?

dear god

bounchfx

Jackson said:
Feep and Post 217 will be in the game. It's too epic not to.

And yes 220 levels is the final count.

the fact that you guys can pretty much implement ANYTHING at a whim is fantastic. I don't know how much work goes into one object but I know they need to be somewhat simple for the sake of time.

I just find it hilarious that anything people will expect or not expect.. you will have in the game. I think you just sold a few more copies by putting those things in the game too =D.

Quick everyone! More memes!

Blizzard

Banned
Jackson said:
Feep and Post 217 will be in the game. It's too epic not to.

And yes 220 levels is the final count.
With the f-word censored out for the kids, hopefully? :lol "Awesome game scribblenauts created, millions offended when secret obscenity discovered." I'm going to make everyone hate me and vote for more awesome item interaction and editor/friend slots vs. additional internet memes. I will still buy the heck out of your game, but I will cry a single tear if you've made the Super Smash Brothers Brawl mistake of including like 50 single-player saveslots (when no one will use more than say, 3-4), but only 50 friend code slots (when people could easily use something like 100 of those if they're on large internet forums). All in all though, I'm really looking forward to just playing around with the game, and the huge amount of levels will just be an awesome bonus. The level editor and online sharing will be a HUGE bonus.

Also, we -are- getting more videos tomorrow, right? Riiiight? :D

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
cw_sasuke said:
why would you do something like that ?
Many GAF users seem to enjoy the act of selling their consoles/handhelds and then suffer/complain every time a new game is announced for these platforms.
I think it would make an excellent case study.

bounchfx said:
Quick everyone! More memes!
The easily distracted translator would be excellent :lol

Jackson

Blizzard said:
With the f-word censored out for the kids, hopefully? :lol "Awesome game scribblenauts created, millions offended when secret obscenity discovered." I'm going to make everyone hate me and vote for more awesome item interaction and editor/friend slots vs. additional internet memes. I will still buy the heck out of your game, but I will cry a single tear if you've made the Super Smash Brothers Brawl mistake of including like 50 single-player saveslots (when no one will use more than say, 3-4), but only 50 friend code slots (when people could easily use something like 100 of those if they're on large internet forums). All in all though, I'm really looking forward to just playing around with the game, and the huge amount of levels will just be an awesome bonus. The level editor and online sharing will be a HUGE bonus.

Also, we -are- getting more videos tomorrow, right? Riiiight? :D

lol 50? This is DS :p I wish we had 50... Think of it like this... the level editor is icing on the cake, it's not the cake. :) removing a few memes isn't going to magically make more slots open, just now how it works sadly.

Don't worry though, it'll still be fun. :)

Jackson said:
lol 50? This is DS :p I wish we had 50... Think of it like this... the level editor is icing on the cake, it's not the cake. :) removing a few memes isn't going to magically make more slots open, just now how it works sadly.

Don't worry though, it'll still be fun. :)

Were you ever worried about having enough space to put everything in? Did you have to figure it our beforehand and assign every item a size limit?

Top Bottom