• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scribblenauts Preview/Impressions Thread - You will say "wow." (see post #217)

When I saw the gameplay for this as well as the developer interview on gametrailers, I was a bit suspect as far as hearing them say the game has a dictionary of over 10,000 objects for use. After getting my mind out of the gutter and watching a bit more, I confess I was impressed, they took the concept for Drawn to Life and actually made it a bit more appealing.

Haunted

This thread already has more than quintupled the official Lock's Quest thread. The hype.... it's off the charts.

Jackson said:
Pre-ordering the game is how the game will be promoted better actually, if it has large pre-orders then it will get more backing, because they know its going to be a success. People should always pre-order games they want to support. :)
*rushes to pre-order*

Mike M

Nick N
Jackson said:
Pre-ordering the game is how the game will be promoted better actually, if it has large pre-orders then it will get more backing, because they know its going to be a success. People should always pre-order games they want to support. :)

I'm pre-ordering two copies of this game. One for me, and one for my nephew (Hoping it'll be educational, he... could use it...)

For the very first time for me: Day 1.

Jackson

AndrewG009 said:
When I saw the gameplay for this as well as the developer interview on gametrailers, I was a bit suspect as far as hearing them say the game has a dictionary of over 10,000 objects for use. After getting my mind out of the gutter and watching a bit more, I confess I was impressed, they took the concept for Drawn to Life and actually made it a bit more appealing.

No, no no... tens of thousands... not over ten thousand. :D

I was just play testing now and I typed FTW to see if it worked, and it gives you a fake Starite... I love my team. :lol

MercuryLS

Banned
Jackson said:

I was just play testing now and I typed FTW to see if it worked, and it gives you a fake Starite... I love my team. :lol

That's so awesome :lol

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Any plans on a preorder bonus? Maybe something like a Styles that looks like Maxwell's Pencil? Also, if Preordering will help, preorder I shale!

Jackson said:

So...there's no chance this will be ported to PC huh?

Mike M

Nick N
Jackson said:

Are there any items that would be spawned by multiple inputs? i.e. if I type "FTW" or "Starite" a fake Starite pops up in both instances?

If not, what *does* happen when you write Starite?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Mike M said:
Are there any items that would be spawned by multiple inputs? i.e. if I type "FTW" or "Starite" a fake Starite pops up in both instances?

If not, what *does* happen when you write Starite?
My guess is the fake Starite too.

What happens when you get the Fake Starite? Nothing, or does Maxwell do his Victory dance thing, it says "Starite found!", and then maybe a little thing comes up a second later "Wait, its fake, nevermind"

m3k

:lol

this could become like neogaf's official game... we must buy this game and sell it to anyone who owns a ds

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
SirPenguin said:
Thanks for the lightning quick reply.

And do you mean like...if I type in "Post 217" I'll actually get something?

dear god

Punching in "Feep" or "Post 217" should basically fill the screen with robot zombies and then spawn a time machine. Everybody should experience what Feep experienced.

Ydahs said:
:lol :lol

I imagine it's going to be censored due to the rating? How the hell would the ESRB rate this game anyway? Going through every word list and the sprite linked to it?

That's not how the ESRB works. They're basically sent a video demonstration of the game that includes the "worst" parts of the game. They rate the game based on that.

This is the first game i've pre-ordered in years!

The gamestop people seemed really confused with how the game works. I sounded like a crazed fool explaining it. :)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Jackson said:

HVS have said the same thing about The Conduit. Pre-orders are good indication of pre-release hype and success. A lack of pre-orders simply shows that people don't care about the game, or don't know it's coming out at all.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Jackson said:

Well, consider it done. I will have this game on pre-order within the next two months. Hopefully fully paid off as well.

And a random moment I was thinking about:

I wonder what happens if you type: "FTL?" I'll see if it actually works when I get the game.

Blizzard

Banned
Jackson said:
Well since you've responded nearly directly to three things I said, I guess I should preorder later tonight on Amazon. Hopefully you get the number. I'll just cancel the order (you can do that with no penalty, right?) shortly before release so I can actually play it on release day.

Side note, when designers or developers talk directly to their fanbase, it's AWESOME. I talk to one of the DICE designers who worked on Mirror's Edge occasionally. Definitely helped increase my respect for them, even though they apparently couldn't help support our mod community much.

Vinci

Danish
Jackson, I'm sure you're hearing this a lot (in this thread and elsewhere), but you and your team are utter badasses. Most intriguing game at E3, bar none on any platform.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Rash said:
I'll be REALLY surprised if something comes up, since FTL isn't a noun.

I think Jackson confirmed FTW to be in the game - it produces a fake Starite.

Anyway, I wonder if a magical leopluradon is in the game. I doubt it, but this game has surprised me before.

This game has been on my radar for a while now, but only recently has it risen to the top of my most wanted games (just slightly behind Left 4 Dead 2 and StarCraft 2, I think) :)

I'm definitely going to preorder it through Amazon for $27 (using ECA discount and free prime shipping). Hmm.. well I think you can preorder stuff with the ECA discount. If not, it's definitely being bought at full price, and lemme tell you.. I am one cheapass. Games that I buy at full price that aren't for some gift or something? Practically none. Maybe one or two a year. Maybe. This will be one of them. :)

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I'm just going to jump on the hype train here. That's about all I have to add. Watched every video I could find of the game today after only hearing about it this afternoon.

I would also like to add that the game is currently ranked the 134th best selling game on Amazon. For this little game. That doesn't come out until Fall. I think that's pretty sweet! :D Keep buying, GAFFERS!

kozmo7

Truly deserves to shoot laserbeams from his eyes
Jackson ,if we ever meet, I want to hug you and your team. Not a quick hug, but a deep heartfelt embrace.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
still scratching my head about the insane enthusiasm for this game after seeing a few videos. don't get me wrong, very cool idea. but won't the novelty get old pretty fast? i guess its the joy of seeing if they actually put something in the game...

Red

mattiewheels said:
still scratching my head about the insane enthusiasm for this game after seeing a few videos. don't get me wrong, very cool idea. but won't the novelty get old pretty fast? i guess its the joy of seeing if they actually put something in the game...
280 levels?

Online level sharing?

Vitet

mattiewheels said:

Not something. It's everything. EVERYTHING is in the game xD

Well it will get old, when you finish all this:
english_dictionary.jpg

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
mattiewheels said:

Novelty? Novelty is the typical "sandbox" game of deciding on shooting this guy with an uzi or sniping him from a rooftop or hitting him with a car. Novelty is adding a few new shader effects and retooling some mechanics for sequel #35 of safe profit franchise #5037. This is thinking of basically any object and it appearing in the damn game with the attributes and functionality that you'd expect from it. That's not novelty, that's redefining what is possible in a video game.

Blizzard

Banned
Crunched said:
280 levels?

Online level sharing?
220, and online sharing for only a few friendcodes per what Jackson said, but yeah. :p For me, the large number of levels plus the sandbox playing-around stuff is what interests me and captures my imagination most. That plus the crazy concept and tech of having practically "all" objects in the game. As I compared earlier, it reminds me of LEGO sets, back when they used to have lots of general pieces instead of specific ones, and you could basically dig through your giant boxes of pieces, and build pretty much anything you could imagine. The game may not play out to quite allow that level of flexibility, but there should be a lot of it. A game that has lots of interactivity even the developers didn't foresee is a cool one in my book. (like the glue + anvil solution that the dev said he didn't know about)

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
EviLore said:
i know, novelty's a bad way of putting it. it definitely gets my imagination chugging when i think about it. i think that when i view it as a 'box of toys' kind of game it makes more sense.

This game has jumped from obscure niche game to one of my most wanted games, solely after reading some of the impressions on different sites, oh and Feep's post too.

This looks incredible.

vareon

mattiewheels said:
i know, novelty's a bad way of putting it. it definitely gets my imagination chugging when i think about it. i think that when i view it as a 'box of toys' kind of game it makes more sense.

I view it as a game that encourages player creativity, like to some extent Crayon Physics and World of Goo. There's a defined goal for each level, and your only arsenal is your knowledge and creativity. Sure it'll get old if you only stay in a level trying to spawn anything only to see "haha it's in the game lolol", but that's not the point of the game.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Just pre-ordered. This is only the 3rd game I've pre-ordered in my entire life (other two being Moonbase Commander and Street Fighter IV).

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
EviLore said:
Novelty? Novelty is the typical "sandbox" game of deciding on shooting this guy with an uzi or sniping him from a rooftop or hitting him with a car. Novelty is adding a few new shader effects and retooling some mechanics for sequel #35 of safe profit franchise #5037. This is thinking of basically any object and it appearing in the damn game with the attributes and functionality that you'd expect from it. That's not novelty, that's redefining what is possible in a video game.

Post 1031? Not quite 217, but pretty damn good.

Davey Cakes

vareon said:
Sure it'll get old if you only stay in a level trying to spawn anything only to see "haha it's in the game lolol", but that's not the point of the game.
Precisely. Couldn't have said it better myself.

The idea that you can spawn pretty much anything you can think of is only one aspect of the game. It's a HUGE aspect, but it's not the entire experience.

Blizzard

Banned
It's now up to #1 in DS action games, and #106 overall in video games for ALL systems. Just added my preorder to the Amazon pile. :)

Mike M

Nick N
I will buy twice as many copies if writing "Scribblenot" spawns Maxwell's reverse palette evil twin, Minpoor, who possess the ability to unsummon your items.

GDGF

Soothsayer
I just spent like the last two hours talking to a group of friends about this game. They went crazy for the videos. This is going to be huge.

Top Bottom