• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scribblenauts Preview/Impressions Thread - You will say "wow." (see post #217)

Blizzard

Banned
Jackson said:
lol 50? This is DS :p I wish we had 50... Think of it like this... the level editor is icing on the cake, it's not the cake. :) removing a few memes isn't going to magically make more slots open, just now how it works sadly.

Don't worry though, it'll still be fun. :)
I know practically nothing about the details of DS development, my apologies. I've only looked at a little DS or GBA dev info. I guess the friend thing ties into server space, or is stored in a different area of the cartridge then. I was assuming that each new object (with text strings, bitmaps, possible animations, and assocations/info) would take up some amount of space in the cart, like 0.25-1.0kB per word.

Dangit, this game is fascinating to programmers. Now I'm curious about how the DS works with storage and saves. :lol

*fake edit* Oh, I bet it's due to level saves / friend codes being stored in save memory vs. permanent cart data (ala objects) or something like that. Thanks for the replies, sir, you've directly answered questions of mine at least twice now.

Afrikan

Jocchan said:
On second thought, this would be even better: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=353839
e6obx2.jpg

The :O face in the lower part of his scooter is perfect :lol

I never noticed that before about the face on the scooter :lol its perfect.

this game looks so F'n interesting....I'm buying this for sure for my little cousin... I'd get it myself but I wouldn't have enough time to play it....but I shall borrow this thing.

again someone mentioned how are they going to get this to fit a DS cart. Did anyone answer this? or is the general consensus that it doesn't need to hold that much space.

vareon

Jackson said:
Feep and Post 217 will be in the game. It's too epic not to.

And yes 220 levels is the final count.

Holy shit, this is too obscure to be true :lol Feep should have a tag.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
vareon said:
Yep. If this isn't tag-worthy, then I don't know what is.

Hive

Banned
vareon said:

haha, true! But thank goodness he has a recognizable avatar and a kickarse user name~

"Feep" is too great NOT to implement~

Oh, and how great would it be if a DS, DSlite, and DSi showed up!

Blizzard

Banned
Oh, you know what else Jackson needs to do? Convince Nintendo or some third party that a large video output for the DS would be awesome. Someone was suggesting that what they used at E3 was devkit hardware, which is obviously only available to (non-Bob) developers. Would anyone else think it'd be cool to be able to play some games on a computer or TV monitor (no emulation required)?

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Jackson said:

Sir, you know how to win one of the most vicious gaming forums over. Scribblenauts will go down in infamy.

If I ever see you in person, I will buy you 12 pints. In one night.

Ashodin

This game is so awesome because pretty much you just make a level, put the starite somewhere, populate it with creatures you know are hard to take out (or an obstacle to overcome) and let your friends try to figure it out :lol

All we need now is Scribblenauts to have a website to upload your ways how you finish each level and share them on Facebook :D

nli10

Had kind of dropped off my radar this one. Will wait until closer to release before getting overjoyed.

Ceiling Cat would be a nice addition though.

And yeah - I like that it's forcing players to think - more next gen than shiny cars IMO.

Ed: and yeah - as stated above, if you can leverage this onto FaceBook so I can link levels to an account and show people you'd hopefully have a breakout hit.

Vitet

nli10 said:
Had kind of dropped off my radar this one. Will wait until closer to release before getting overjoyed.

Ceiling Cat would be a nice addition though.

And yeah - I like that it's forcing players to think - more next gen than shiny cars IMO.

Ed: and yeah - as stated above, if you can leverage this onto FaceBook so I can link levels to an account and show people you'd hopefully have a breakout hit.

Ceiling cat is in, it's told earlier in this thread

Can I ask Jackson if you can disclose which card size you're going for?
And can an object be attached to any other object, or is that only if there's a defined relationship?

Edit:

If you write something like 'mountain', will it be a background object or in the foreground like everything else?

Tobor

I've been talking about Scribblenauts to anyone who will listen. I'll probably buy an extra copy or two to give away as gifts to the family. This game must sell. No matter what it takes, this game must sell!

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
good God almighty. well, there's my DS purchases for the rest of forever. all i need is Scribblenauts for the rest of my life, or at least until the next one comes out...

CAN'T WAIT!

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
I want to see if, on the title screen, it would be possible to create a town, home, housewife and drinking well and just live a life there with kids (also created. :O )

mj1108

Tobor said:
I've been talking about Scribblenauts to anyone who will listen. I'll probably buy an extra copy or two to give away as gifts to the family. This game must sell. No matter what it takes, this game must sell!

I'm predicting nothing short of the biggest GAF viral marketing campaign ever for this game.

Jme

Jackson said:

You are the definition of awesome.
I will repost my question from a few pages back.

Is there any retail outlet I can purchase this from that will be more beneficial to you either financially or otherwise? Can I pre-order direct from you?

Jme

Forkball said:
Does anyone have the Nintendo Power with the five pages about Scribblenauts? Any interesting info?

From several pages back...
Feep said:
Wait a minute, I'm an idiot. I just realized I HAVE that issue of Nintendo Power; they were giving it away on the show floor. I'll update this post with anything interesting I find.

Updates:
- This article says there are 280 stages, not 220. Awesome. [EDITED TO NOTE THAT JACKSON CONFIRMS IT IS IN FACT ONLY 220]
- At one point, the creative lead on the game found a bug in which he placed two bunnies on the field, and they reproduced infinitely and eventually crashed the game.
- Another bug he found: an elephant picked up a bazooka with its trunk and started firing wildly. Oh my GOD. That's a bug?! Leave it in!
- The currency system is in "Ollars". You can buy new levels, avatars, and music.
- FUCK YES ONLINE LEVEL SHARING CONFIRMED. Friend Codes and all, but what-the-fuck-ever.

Jackson

handofg0d said:
You are the definition of awesome.
I will repost my question from a few pages back.

Is there any retail outlet I can purchase this from that will be more beneficial to you either financially or otherwise? Can I pre-order direct from you?
:lol Amazon or Gamestop is just fine, WB doesn't have direct buy that I know of. :)

Ydahs

Jackson said:

:lol :lol

I imagine it's going to be censored due to the rating? How the hell would the ESRB rate this game anyway? Going through every word list and the sprite linked to it?

Well, this game keeps getting better and better. Cannot wait. Any idea of an Aussie release date?

Mike M

Nick N
Any Post 217 reference should occur in level 217, I would think.

Fake edit: All the good Scribblenaut avatars got snatched, and I didn't want to give up my gigantic guitar playing robot avatar, so I made my own.

wrowa

Ydahs said:
I imagine it's going to be censored due to the rating? How the hell would the ESRB rate this game anyway? Going through every word list and the sprite linked to it?
Yeah, only "E10" words are allowed

OP said:
So I'll restate the rules here...

Concrete Objects Only
No Proper Nouns
No Copyrighted Words
No Adjectives
E-E10 rated words only - this means No Vulgar/Offensive/Lewd/Drug/Alcohol related words

Other than that... it works

Mike M

Nick N
We really ought to just start a rule that whomever gets the first post of the new page reposts the rules...

Eteric Rice

Ydahs said:
:lol :lol

Well, this game keeps getting better and better. Cannot wait. Any idea of an Aussie release date?

I'd fucking hate to be the guy at the ESRB that has to rate this game. :lol

"Scribblenauts is in."

"Cool."

*Puts down a bunch of dictionaries and encylopedias.*

"Whats this for?"

"It's for you to rate the game with."

"In a job where I sit around playing video games all day, this'll probably be the first time I'll ever be able to say I hate my job."

Mike M

Nick N
Isn't ERSB ratings done by companies wanting their games rated submitting like a highlight reel of the the violence and language or something?

Jme

Eteric Rice said:
I'd fucking hate to be the guy at the ESRB that has to rate this game. :lol

"Scribblenauts is in."

"Cool."

*Puts down a bunch of dictionaries and encylopedias.*

"Whats this for?"

"It's for you to rate the game with."

"In a job where I sit around playing video games all day, this'll probably be the first time I'll ever be able to say I hate my job."

Hate to burst your bubble, but the ESRB does not actually play any of the video games they rate. The publisher provides them a DVD of selected gameplay scenes, and a lot of paperwork disclosing what is in the game and what can be done with it, etc. You can read all about the boring process here.

Jackson said:
:lol Amazon or Gamestop is just fine, WB doesn't have direct buy that I know of. :)
Amazon it is then. Thanks :)

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Jackson said:

:lol :lol :lol Oh you are so fucking awesome Jackson.

This thread will live forever!!!!

I can't believe it's going to hit 1000 replies soon. This is madness.

Twig

Banned
BobFromPikeCreek said:
I don't understand why you guys want to fill the game with shitty memes that will be tired before the game even ships.
Because some of us enjoy life and aren't 90-year-old grumpy men sitting in our rocker on the front porch yelling at the kids to get off our lawn.

Blizzard

Banned
The sad thing is that we've got this much hype, which makes waiting six months that much harder. ;_; I'm going to try GameStop + Wal-Mart on release day instead of Amazon preorder though. Amazon is sloooow if you're not a premium member for new releases.

Is anyone finding themselves already thinking of tons of possible solutions to the puzzles? I was disappointed to see that "trampoline" was already in one of the videos. :lol

Vitet

TheOneGuy said:
Because some of us enjoy life and aren't 90-year-old grumpy men sitting in our rocker on the front porch yelling at the kids to get off our lawn.

interesting.

Porch + grandfather + rocker VS kid + kid + kid + lawn

Fireblend

Banned
handofg0d said:
Hate to burst your bubble, but the ESRB does not actually play any of the video games they rate. The publisher provides them a DVD of selected gameplay scenes, and a lot of paperwork disclosing what is in the game and what can be done with it, etc. You can read all about the boring process here.
Ah well, there goes another potential career choice...

Edit: I want to try "Game critic" :D

:O can Lawyer spawn a little parody Phoenix Wright? And Prosecutor a mini-version of Edgeworth :lol

~Kinggi~

Banned
Blizzard said:
The sad thing is that we've got this much hype, which makes waiting six months that much harder. ;_; I'm going to try GameStop + Wal-Mart on release day instead of Amazon preorder though. Amazon is sloooow if you're not a premium member for new releases.

Is anyone finding themselves already thinking of tons of possible solutions to the puzzles? I was disappointed to see that "trampoline" was already in one of the videos. :lol
Actually i think the sad thing is that the game "seemingly" has a lot of hype but when it comes down to it, probably wont sell a lot. I dont know, this usually happens with awesome games like this.

They need to advertise this correctly. I mean kids would go nuts to be able to "make anything".

Im actually buying it. I dont buy a lot of ds games.

Jackson

Pre-ordering the game is how the game will be promoted better actually, if it has large pre-orders then it will get more backing, because they know its going to be a success. People should always pre-order games they want to support. :)

Top Bottom