• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Koji Igarashi's Castlevania successor be revealed this Monday?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dremark

Banned
The tweet implied a crowd funding event would happen on the 11th, not that it got delayed. The second tweet about the full moon happened after that tweet, too. Why is everyone assuming the announcement is late? Is Monday over?

I didn't say it was delayed, we never got any sort of real promise it would be today.

I really don't think that is what it was implying

"what arrives with the moon, and what comes later?"

What that tells me is that there will be an announcement of the project today, but that the Kickstarter won't come until next week.

Something is arriving "with the moon", so there must be something coming today

That wasn't the tweet I was talking about, I was talking about this one" https://twitter.com/batcapello/status/594700931490574338

Who knows what that is referring to though. Anyway I think people might be setting themselves to be disappointing if they expect anything immediately. Something looks like it coming soon for sure though and god knows I've been waiting a long time for it.

TreIII

Talk about throwing away money. It's not that hard to concoct a new vampire hunting universe (Order of Ecclesia kind of was without falling back on the Belmont clan).

Yeah, and before that, I always liked to think of the Sorrow series as a pretty effective "reboot/rebranding", as well.

They could've have toned down/taken out any of the "legacy" elements and it would've been just as an effective story about a "completely normal high school student", who just happened to be the heir to some ancient Dark Lord's powers in a 2030s kinda world.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
And I would totally be choosing the sword over the whip.
whynotboth.gif
threaded-cane.jpg

Dremark

Banned
Is it possible that IGA will open a Kickstarter to get enough money to BUY the Castlevania IP from Konami?! OHMANOHMANOHMAN

I'm kidding. OR AM I?!

As much as I would love that to happen it doesn't make any sense. Castlevania is a well enough known name it could be used for a AAA game series and they attempted this with Lords of Shadow and it worked at first.

Basically it's worth more than IGA could raise even if the thing went gang busters. IIRC Richard Garriott wanted to buy Ultima back from EA if possible (To make Shroud of the Avatar an Ultima game) and to be honest I think CV is worth more at this point.

Also Garriott got just under 2 Million from his Kickstarter and is wealthy enough on his own he's taken a vacation to space.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Did someone botch the resurrection spell? <_<

They casted the Sanctuary spell instead, Dracula is now human again.

Sword -> You play as the son of Dracula

Whip -> You play as the vampire slayer.

Co-op confirmed. I wonder which weapon you have to choose to get the real ending. There better be some SotN shenanigans going on. I demand a 50% bad ending and some obscure way to unlock the rest of the game and the actual ending. And a secret boss like Legion in Aria of Sorrow, that area was so cool with the pale corpses just walking in line.

Edit: Also he should do the Battle of 1999. Just for the sake of it. If the trailer starts with "The year is 1999" I will lose my shit.

Yeah, and before that, I always liked to think of the Sorrow series as a pretty effective "reboot/rebranding", as well.

They could've have toned down/taken out any of the "legacy" elements and it would've been just as an effective story about a "completely normal high school student", who just happened to be the heir to some ancient Dark Lord's powers in a 2030s kinda world.
Yeah, it's not really a hard thing to do. You just have to create the mythology and backstory to act as a great "backbone" for your world. Dracula's public domain, but I wouldn't be against someone new. Could be Orlok(Graf Orlok of Nosferatu fame, who was also Olrox in Castlevania), Carmilla(for a nice change to have a female villain be the main threat of a series), or just make up a vampire. Call him/her Count Vladak or Lady Stygia, come up with their backstory and how they became such powerful vampires, their connection to the heroes(heroic family, which I like) and roll with it.

Though, considering this might revolve around Alchemy, it could go more a dark magical route. The hero is probably an alchemist who must use his skills to fight against a villain that has defied nature and created a castle of monstrosities. Using the "Devil's wisdom" and the Elder Gods black rituals described in the forbidden eldritch tomes, the villain plans to ascend into an inhuman existence.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Yeah, it's not really a hard thing to do. You just have to create the mythology and backstory to act as a great "backbone" for your world. Dracula's public domain, but I wouldn't be against someone new. Could be Orlok(Graf Orlok of Nosferatu fame, who was also Olrox in Castlevania), Carmilla(for a nice change to have a female villain be the main threat of a series), or just make up a vampire. Call him/her Count Vladak or Lady Stygia, come up with their backstory and how they became such powerful vampires, their connection to the heroes(heroic family, which I like) and roll with it.

Though, considering this might revolve around Alchemy, it could go more a dark magical route. The hero is probably an alchemist who must use his skills to fight against a villain that has defied nature and created a castle of monstrosities and using Alchemy and wisdom from eldritch tomes to become something inhuman.

Orlox, Oral Lox or whatever would just be in it for the money, he's just a mooch, he's nothing but a mooch. Get someone dedicated, like Dracula, or no one at all.

IGA should just do inverse Castlevania. Female heroes, female main villain like Elizabeth Bathory. We need more badass female vampire slayers anyway.

Orlox, Oral Lox or whatever would just be in it for the money, he's just a mooch, he's nothing but a mooch. Get someone dedicated, like Dracula, or no one at all.

IGA should just do inverse Castlevania. Female heroes, female main villain like Elizabeth Bathory. We need more badass female vampire slayers anyway.

Time for the Belnades to shine :)

I want women protags so much. Or at least a female option. Preferably an actual female-driven scenario though.

TreIII

...Though, considering this might revolve around Alchemy, it could go more a dark magical route. The hero is probably an alchemist who must use his skills to fight against a villain that has defied nature and created a castle of monstrosities and using Alchemy and wisdom from eldritch tomes to become something inhuman.

Yeah, and it's not as if alchemy didn't already find its way into CV as it is. If we go by Lament, we owe the origins of basically everything pertinent to the series, thanks to "happy accidents" that occurred as a result of trying to make the Philosopher's Stone. What was a bit silly because of all the retcons that ensued from that, could easily work much better to a new property's advantage.

Even the whole "Devil Forgemaster" thing from Curse of Darkness sounded like something that would've worked out much better as something for a new series, than being forced into the CV mythos for one game...and then, of course, was never seen or heard from again.

Xpliskin

People are starting to question, eh.

Didn't mean to incept the idea of hoax or to piss on anyone's parade.

Keep the hope alive.

Yeah, and it's not as if alchemy didn't already find its way into CV as it is. If we go by Lament, we owe the origins of basically everything pertinent to the series, thanks to "happy accidents" that occurred as a result of trying to make the Philosopher's Stone. What was a bit silly because of all the retcons that ensued from that, could easily work much better to a new property's advantage.

Even the whole "Devil Forgemaster" thing from Curse of Darkness sounded like something that would've worked out much better as something for a new series, than being forced into the CV mythos for one game...and then, of course, was never seen or heard from again.

What I always liked, regarding the Crimson Stone, was the it was made significant with Lament of Innocence, and before that, it was always a relic Dracula would wear(even outside of the Castlevania series, various different takes on Dracula would always have him wear that red stone). What's cool is, I'm pretty sure all that was originally inspired by the original art of Vlad III, who was mostly depicted wearing a large red stone in his hat.

Vlad_Tepes_002.jpg

In CV lore, that's the Crimson Stone! Pretty cool!

But yeah, with alchemy as a theme, there is some pretty twisted things you can do. One thing I've thought off is that you can literally make an area composed of twisted souls and flesh walls where people are melded into the surroundings(I think of that painting from the X68000/CV Chronicles area before the battle with Death, but maybe more meaty and grusome).

Xpliskin

Seriously, none of you guys checked to see if http://swordorwhip.com/ was an actual website? Ya'll need to work on your DecetiveGAF freakuency, friends.

It has the pentagram. Maybe the reveal will happen there.

Website source is .. amateur material.

Website was registered in March 2015 on Name.com (WHOIS protected).

Are we talking about a Japanese made game ?

TreIII

But yeah, with alchemy as a theme, there is some pretty twisted things you can do. One thing I've thought off is that you can literally make an area composed of twisted souls and flesh walls where people are melded into the surroundings(I think of that painting from the X68000/CV Chronicles area before the battle with Death, but maybe more meaty and grusome).

Ah, nice trivia piece, thanks for sharing!

Can't believe I'm actually allowing myself to get hyped for the possibilities an IGA game may bring. Maybe because there has been enough of a gap in-between, haha.

I even found myself thinking about an old SNES game named Nosferatu...

TreIII

Found these two images in the code of the website
sword.png

whip.png

shown before together with the pentagram.

Good find.

And again, I get a nice "Dracula X" vibe from that sprite art. Which would make me very happy, if the sprites were as detailed as Rondo/SOTN were.

Foffy

Banned
Take the following with a MOUNTAIN of salt, but the following comes from /v/. I will quote it verbatim.

"It's real. Game is going to be called Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night. Kickstarter goes live May 11th. Main character is NotShanoa named Miriam. She has rune tattoos on her body. NotAlucard will be named Gebel.

Screen cap this."

The same user mentioned Michiru Yamane is on board as composer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom