• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 downgrade arguments in here and nowhere else

Status
Not open for further replies.
The way the handled this is absolutely pathetic.

They probably lost some of their fans, but it doesn't matter for them. They made bank on the game by targeting mainly the PS4 and Xbox One as their primary platform. When it was initially announced that PC is not going to be the primary platform, I was sure that they won't be able to match the target footage. Still, a clarification would have been nice, but they had to dance around the questions regarding downgrade, only to admit it all up once the game is out.

I feel bad for those who invested in PC hardware to play a version of W3 which doesn't even exist.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
People really care about at what the grass looks like?

Considering grass is probably the thing you see absolutely most in a 100-200+ hour game.

Well yes.

Speaking of which. I am trying to decide which make foliage look better more often, SSAO or HBAO+.

I know HBAO+ is the better tech, and often it does look better in TW3. However, many times, SSAO gives grass a "darkness" and a "depth" you don't see with the HBAO+ as often.

Anyone know why this is? Andy?

The way the handled this is absolutely pathetic.

They probably lost some of their fans, but it doesn't matter for them. They made bank on the game by targeting mainly the PS4 and Xbox One as their primary platform. When it was initially announced that PC is not going to be the primary platform, I was sure that they won't be able to match the target footage. Still, a clarification would have been nice, but they had to dance around the questions regarding downgrade, only to admit it all up once the game is out.

I feel bad for those who invested in PC hardware to play a version of W3 which doesn't even exist.

I believe you are overestimating sales for this game. 1.5 million guaranteed preorders may mean something last generation; but at this scale they're going to need to secure more than that for any similar ambitious titles in the future. Losing sales - no matter how small - is not something you take for granted especially if your budget going to scale up.

viveks86

Considering grass is probably the thing you see absolutely most in a 100-200+ hour game.

Well yes.

Speaking of which. I am trying to decide which make foliage look better more often, SSAO or HBAO+.

I know HBAO+ is the better tech, and often it does look better in TW3. However, many times, SSAO gives grass a "darkness" and a "depth" you don't see with the HBAO+ as often.

Denser the grass, more chance that it gets captured by the AO algorithm. Also higher the resolution, better the AO. In general, HBAO+ wins hands down. Do u have any 1:1 shots to compare?

Velurian

I bet at some point there is going to be petition: "CDPR please release the GOTY edition with a graphics upgrade we were advertised in the first trailers"
:p

I feel it is a shame that they made the versions visually similar. Could have just made as good as possible versions for all platforms...

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Denser the grass, more chance that it gets captured by the AO algorithm. Also higher the resolution, better the AO. In general, HBAO+ wins hands down. Do u have any 1:1 shots to compare?

I unfortunate have not been taking screens. (Usually just use steam, and haven't linked the overlay to WH yet.)

But if I stand in a field of grass, playing at 4K Resolution and turn SSAO on the grass looks like this, with "darkness" under it.
The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt.png

And if I enable HBAO+ in the same scene...
I get grass that looks more like this.

But the difference is not always that stark depending on the lighting. It's odd.

Sorry for the bad comparison. I am packing for a flight.

DOWN

Banned

Well yes.

I said this in another thread and got shot down by the defensive folk who advocate the game's graphical glory. HBAO+ seemed to often look almost as light as just plain shutting it off in the comparisons posted.

cripterion

Sorry I didn't follow this thread so much since release but has this been posted?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...he-witcher-3-graphics-downgrade-issue-head-on
"If you're looking at the development process," Iwinski begins, "we do a certain build for a tradeshow and you pack it, it works, it looks amazing. And you are extremely far away from completing the game. Then you put it in the open-world, regardless of the platform, and it's like 'oh shit, it doesn't really work'. We've already showed it, now we have to make it work. And then we try to make it work on a huge scale. This is the nature of games development."

It was captured PC footage, not pre-rendered, Badowski confirms, but a lot had to change. "I cannot argue - if people see changes, we cannot argue," Adam Badowski says, "but there are complex technical reasons behind it.
"Maybe it was our bad decision to change the rendering system," he mulls, "because the rendering system after VGX was changed." There were two possible rendering systems but one won out because it looked nicer across the whole world, in daytime and at night. The other would have required lots of dynamic lighting "and with such a huge world simply didn't work".

It's a similar story for environments, and their texture sizes and incidental objects. It was a trade-off between keeping that aspect of them or their unique, handmade design. And the team chose the latter. The data-streaming system couldn't handle everything while Geralt galloped around.

The billowing smoke and roaring fire from the trailer? "It's a global system and it will kill PC because transparencies - without DirectX 12 it does't work good in every game." So he killed it for the greater good, and he focused on making sure the 5000 doors in Novigrad worked instead.

Fucking finally. Was this so hard? I'm dumbfounded that they couldn't think of saying this outright instead of coming up with bullshit PR every single time people questioned the game's visuals.

EDIT : Nevermind seen it's been already discussed. But holy hell, they really need to rething their communication towards the pc community instead of taking people for morons. Also when people claiming they've been honest, remember that even in recent trailers they continued to use/promote the VGX graphics. They knew what they were doing.

Alienous

Just woke up, hadn't read anything since early yesterday morning.

CDPR's Marcin Iwinski said:
Maybe we shouldn't have shown that [trailer], I don't know, but we didn't know that it wasn't going to work, so it's not a lie or a bad will - that's why we didn't comment actively. We don't agree there is a downgrade but it's our opinion, and gamers' feeling can be different. If they made their purchasing decision based on the 2013 materials, I'm deeply sorry for that, and we are discussing how we can make it up to them because that's not fair.

This is what they should have done. It's weak but it seems honest.

The fact that they showed features in that early trailer that, by their own admission, were untenable in the grand scheme of the open world game they wanted to create is a problem. If you promise a 'Hail Mary' and fail to deliver you are still at fault. So their talk on the "billowing smoke ... [would] kill PCs because of transparencies" is something that should have been known and not shown. The rendering system not working at all times of day is a bit more of a forgiveable offence.

What they don't just admit is that the 2013 was an unattainable target that they portrayed as representative of the actual game, and I think that's the last and final step for them in being honest. They need to just say that, plain and simple, rather that alluding to it. Instead it's 'This system wouldn't work, and this one wouldn't work always'. All that actually needs to be said is that the 2013 version wasn't achievable for the Witcher 3, and if weren't aware while developing it at the time they should have known.

Sorry I didn't follow this thread so much since release but has this been posted?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...he-witcher-3-graphics-downgrade-issue-head-on

Fucking finally. Was this so hard? I'm dumbfounded that they couldn't think of saying this outright instead of coming up with bullshit PR every single time people questioned the game's visuals.

EDIT : Nevermind seen it's been already discussed. But holy hell, they really need to rething their communication towards the pc community instead of taking people for morons. Also when people claiming they've been honest, remember that even in recent trailers they continued to use/promote the VGX graphics. They knew what they were doing.

It's a fine example of being deflective and not owning up to their promise. I wonder, why they have no problem speaking about his now post-release rather than address it way back. If they claim hey did not saw issue to it then hey're being hypocrites opening up right now. They KNEW what they they were doing when showcased the VGX trailer, but by using the "changes & development" excuse, they literally poisoned of what is due-process of game development into a PR sentiment spin. Disgusting.

And even if had good intentions behind it, that interview clearly shows that they have no solid planning. From the size of the world to the amount of funding needed to make this game. It is all the symptoms of a developer treading the AAA ground: Aiming too high beyond the studio capabilities. We've seen this all before, fail to make the high budget requirements, crunch, delays only will drive them off to bankruptcy. This game was neither properly thought out or prepared, PR or otherwise.

viveks86

At least the aerial views are still intact. Will compare with those famous Novigrad flyover shots when I get there. I'm guessing the engine cutbacks would be similar to that wheatfield comparison I made earlier - lack of volumetric smoke/particle effects and brightly lit mountains

witcher32015-05-2100-58-25-88a944e.png

witcher32015-05-2100-49-26-14.png

witcher32015-05-2100-51-18-79.png

I unfortunate have not been taking screens. (Usually just use steam, and haven't linked the overlay to WH yet.)

But if I stand in a field of grass, playing at 4K Resolution and turn SSAO on the grass looks like this, with "darkness" under it.

And if I enable HBAO+ in the same scene...
I get grass that looks more like this.

But the difference is not always that stark depending on the lighting. It's odd.

Sorry for the bad comparison. I am packing for a flight.

Hmm... No idea when or why that happens. Will test and post here when I come across grass patches that don't have coverage

Wiktor

The sad thing is..this is still a great and pretty game. The only reason for all the shitstorm and negativity is because the devs weren't honest. If they would year ago came out and simply said "sorry, consoles can't handle it and we can't afford to do it just for PC, we won't be able to reach the first trailer" there would be some complains...sure, but there would be nowhere near as much of them and they wouldn't be as heated. And most of all, they would't happen right around the game's launch.

I sometimes wonder..do publishers have some research that states overestimating visuals early on is worth the negativity near the premiere for not delivering?

Dmax3901

At least the aerial views are still intact. Will compare with those famous Novigrad flyover shots when I get there. I'm guessing the engine cutbacks would be similar to that wheatfield comparison I made earlier - lack of volumetric smoke/particle effects and brightly lit mountains

witcher32015-05-2100-58-25-88a944e.png

witcher32015-05-2100-49-26-14.png

witcher32015-05-2100-51-18-79.png

Hmm... No idea when or why that happens. Will test and post here when I come across grass patches that don't have coverage

Really cool, looking forward to more.

So many people bitching about a version of a game that doesn't exist. My mind is blown.

Edit: Also, I'm dying to know how many of you care about your actual grass in your front or backyard as much as you do the grass in The Witcher.

Vuze

I still don't get how people can claim this is the most graphically impressive game ever to them? Sure, it's a pretty game in motion but come on...

Zakalwe

Banned
Just woke up, hadn't read anything since early yesterday morning.

All sounds perfectly reasonable to me. I will never understand why people get so worked up about this.

Yes, perhaps they should be upfront about it, but that wouldn't change why it had to happen. We'd still be where we are now in terms of the product we have in our hands.

I still don't get how people can claim this is the most graphically impressive game ever to them? Sure, it's a pretty game in motion but come on...

The amount of objects on screen is very impressive, the day/night and weather effects are all top notch. So far I can't think of a better looking game, though I did just upgrade my PC for the first time since Skyrim.

Zakalwe

Banned

The level of detail is incredible. The atmosphere as you roam the wilderness and the weather cycles is as good as I've ever seen.

I have no issue with the claim. It's easily one of the best at the very least.

DOWN

Banned
The level of detail is incredible. The atmosphere as you roam the wilderness and the weather cycles is as good as I've ever seen.

I have no issue with the claim. It's easily one of the best at the very least.
But then you are talking about systems and not graphics. The assets, lighting, and a number of the effects are clearly below other games. Character models are great but the world is quite average graphically. Vanilla W3 is not a graphical beast by any means.

And frankly, in my hours so far, it's not more detailed than GTA V if you want to get into unique details placed in the world outside of graphics. Hell, there's a whole website showing the real life counterparts to hundreds of buildings in GTA V that they modified and redesigned in the game world.

Sijil

I get people are upset with the downgrade and it's their right to complain but it boggles my mind calling the game downright ugly, sheesh... To me it's the best looking open world game out there. differing tastes I guess.

Zakalwe

Banned
But then you are talking about systems and not graphics. The assets, lighting, and a number of the effects are clearly below other games. Character models are great but the world is quite average graphically. Vanilla W3 is not a graphical beast by any means.

And frankly, in my hours so far, it's not more detailed than GTA V if you want to get into unique details placed in the world outside of graphics. Hell, there's a whole website showing the real life counterparts to hundreds of buildings in GTA V that they modified and redesigned in the game world.

I've compared both at highest settings on my system and while they both look great TW3 impresses me more. Perhaps it's the art style edging it, but regardless when we're talking this level of visual quality there's really not much in it.

There is an interesting contrast in today's gaming market. While smaller developers are more comfortable than ever in showing their games at a very early development stage and even making them available for purchase through Early Access, triple-A developers and big publishers go out of their way to mislead the audience through vertical slices, 'in-engine' footage, bullshots and other such nonsense.

elelunicy

I still don't get how people can claim this is the most graphically impressive game ever to them?

Depending on what you are looking for graphically. I can see someone who likes sceneries like dense forests, huge plains, etc. with crazy draw distance prefer this game's visuals over other games. For things like cities and interiors, it really isn't all that graphically impressive.

I just took some screenshots in Novigrad (downsampled from 5160x2160 and maxed out in-game), and it really doesn't stack up well against AC:U's Paris.

Ne8xPid.jpg

bbnT7S5.jpg

0NKQFwB.jpg

mJAFgHK.jpg

LxknLkP.jpg

ZejRpnb.jpg

80HaSo6.jpg

UpVreiw.jpg

DucSZiV.jpg

qFb3pBO.jpg

x73WzSF.jpg

8f47DSN.jpg

lmLLKRB.jpg

J0qGQTq.jpg

Rodin

Depending on what you are looking for graphically. I can see someone who likes sceneries like dense forests, huge plains, etc. with crazy draw distance prefer this game's visuals over other games. For things like cities and interiors, it really isn't all that graphically impressive.

I just took some screenshots in Novigrad (downsampled from 5160x2160 and maxed out in-game), and it really doesn't stack up well against AC:U's Paris.

CUT

Yep, Unity is better tech wise. But artstyle helps TW3 a lot, i think it holds up pretty well.

Anyway, can someone remove the horrid youtube low quality pic from the comparison in this gif? http://gifyu.com/images/Comp4.gif
I would like to see a quick, direct comparison between the trailer and the actual game tweaked, without passing through that ugly (and useless) screen.

viveks86

Yep, Unity is better tech wise. But artstyle helps TW3 a lot, i think it holds up pretty well.

Anyway, can someone remove the horrid youtube low quality pic from the comparison in this gif? http://gifyu.com/images/Comp4.gif
I would like to see a quick, direct comparison between the trailer and the actual game tweaked, without passing through that ugly (and useless) screen.

Here's a direct comparison from the source :)

comp8.gif

Chobel

Damn! AC:U graphically blows TW3 out of the fucking water.
---------------------------------

Again, where's SaberEdge?

bigol

That comparison (AC vs Witcher) is useless to me. They have completely different lighting conditions maybe even different times of day.

The sky in Witcher is always kind of covered by clouds so the light seems to be a lot less evident and more dim compared to AC.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
"Work in Progress" may have been fine for the E3 2014 video, but clearer language would have been needed for the 2013 video. Also, when something is declared as "in-game" and NOT a tech demo...people generally expect that the final product will look like that, or very close to it.

I think could've done that if they wanted, but they clearly wanted to fool people from the start.

They labelled 2013 trailers as both "in game" and "gameplay debut"
JpKjuBW.png

7SOpUMm.png

and they are still like with no correction.

then when Anaxymenes exposed them and their lies with the downgrade, they also didn't come honest but kept going on their false advertising train saying in interview to sites and people that there is no downgrade, and this behavior and them insisting of no downgrade going lasted till the game got out. They got a long time to make to clear it to people but they didn't bother but instead say "rumors" and "no downgrade"

so yeah I think deceiving was part of the plan. it was their intention to mislead people into believing in that bullshit vertical slice.

I get people are upset with the downgrade and it's their right to complain but it boggles my mind calling the game downright ugly, sheesh... To me it's the best looking open world game out there. differing tastes I guess.

It's ugly when compared to 2013 footage (aka pre-downgrade)

bargeparty

Is it fair to compare though? Aren't they different art styles?

GeoGonzo

I think both eurogamer and CD Projekt came out well after that interview: Eurogamer asks tough questions (as any press should do) and the studio representatives deliver what feels like understandable, honest answers. I agree with those who say that should they have done this a few weeks/months ago we wouldn't have any controversy here.

Anyway, I'm personally ready to let this thing go now. Hopefully they'll handle this better in the future.

-edit-
More importantly, Unity has baked-in lightning, which is why it looks so amazingly good. It's not a very fair comparison, no.

The only fair and relevant comparisons for this thread are those between pre-release videos and final gameplay, and that has been done enough and to the point that pretty much everyone can see the difference.

Who cares if they're different art styles? It's the lighting and density of the city that makes Unity such a damn good looking game.

That said, they achieved that with pre-baked global illumination, and therefore they need different lighting assets for each time of day. So there's really only 4 different times of day, and each one requires a loading screen to change to.

The day when we can have a Witcher 3 scale game with Unity's lighting will be glorious. But I think we're a ways away from that still...

bargeparty

Who cares if they're different art styles? It's the lighting and density of the city that makes Unity such a damn good looking game.

That said, they achieved that with pre-baked global illumination, and therefore they need different lighting assets for each time of day. So there's really only 4 different times of day, and each one requires a loading screen to change to.

The day when we can have a Witcher 3 scale game with Unity's lighting will be glorious. But I think we're a ways away from that still...

I think Unity is doing a little more than lighting, but I don't know enough to say.

If you want to talk about lighting, then most of his Witcher 3 shots are with dark skies, overcast and rain clouds. Not bright daylight, sunset, sundown, high noon, etc, etc.

tuxfool

Banned

I also would be interested in a comparison to the lighting system with similar capabilities such as GTA5.

Every time somebody compares an open world to a tight linear game you will get a lot of posts stating that the comparison is unfair and then such comparisons do not persist. I don't see why lighting is any different.

That comparison (AC vs Witcher) is useless to me. They have completely different lighting conditions maybe even different times of day.

The sky in Witcher is always kind of covered by clouds so the light seems to be a lot less evident and more dim compared to AC.

AC Unity PBR lighting is very very good (I like it also a lot in Infamous SS). It gives objects and characters a sense of solidity in the world(wood seems wood, iron seems iron and lighting affects them as it should). I thought The Witcher 3 would have PBR also, but it seems it´s missing in the final game(not in the old trailers).

AC Unity PBR lighting is very very good (I like it also a lot in Infamous SS). It gives objects and characters a sense solidity in the world(wood seems wood, iron seems iron and lighting affects them as it should). I thought The Witcher 3 would have PBR also, but it seems it´s missing in the actual game(not in the old trailers), right?.

If The Witcher 3 has PBR, then it's severely underutilized. It's obvious in games like The Order 1886, Ryse, and Unity. But in Witcher 3... not so much. Armor tends to look great, especially in the right lighting. But someone in the high-res screenshot thread did comment that the chainmail looks a bit like plastic, and sometimes I see that too.

If The Witcher 3 has PBR, then it's severely underutilized. It's obvious in games like The Order 1886, Ryse, and Unity. But in Witcher 3... not so much. Armor tends to look great, especially in the right lighting. But someone in the high-res screenshot thread did comment that the chainmail looks a bit like plastic, and sometimes I see that too.

according to the devs witcher uses a fully pbr pipeline but it certainly doesnt seem like it. ive seen close up shots where certain materials on geralts armor/clothes appear to utilize it but ive not seen anything in the environments that look physically accurate. Skin is also extremely bad and looks like gen 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom