• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 downgrade arguments in here and nowhere else

Status
Not open for further replies.

iNvid02

the main thing is ensuring any game attempting this at least gets called out for it, if only to dissuade everyone from joining in and making this a real trend.

Kurdel

Banned
the main thing is ensuring any game attempting this at least gets called out for it, if only to dissuade everyone from joining in and making this a real trend.

As long as gamers keep pre-ordering and buying into pre-release hype, I don't see an end to this end time soon.

The colour of the assets drifven by diffuse textures, the sunlight colour due to TOD, and the colour grading. (the TOD and the colour grading is fantastic looking)

Technically the lighting system between the two is basically the same (sun casts shadows, shadows are somehow relit so they aren't pitch black), but the shading is probably more physically accurate in the bottom shot. It just looks worse in number of other more glaring ways IMO (the LODs for those bushes and plants should just die in a fire and the distance fog turns everything into a smudge).

Well, there it is. AS if we needed confirmation of the obvious.

ive never seen a case where color and TOD changes cause such a massive disparity. does your explanation change when looking at the 2013 trailers in general compared to retail?

this would also be the first time im aware of where moving to PBR makes all the shading look worse, and IMO far less lifelike.

Why did the graphics change?

"If you're looking at the development process," Iwinski begins, "we do a certain build for a tradeshow and you pack it, it works, it looks amazing. And you are extremely far away from completing the game. Then you put it in the open-world, regardless of the platform, and it's like 'oh shit, it doesn't really work'. We've already showed it, now we have to make it work. And then we try to make it work on a huge scale. This is the nature of games development."
This would be completely unacceptable anywhere else.

Good luck with that (see below)

If lying produces good games then, I'm okay with this.

I'm honestly not affected by this since I learned my lesson with Halo 2 so many years ago. I will never pre-order another game. But it does bother me because these guys went out of their way to not show gameplay running on Ultra settings, always giving bullshit excuses. And now that the game is finally out, lo and behold, same old bs.

At the end of the day though, CDPR are "good" guys. I remember the expansion/patch/rework that they released for The Witcher, for free. I mean, I know these guys will fix most of the issues and they will release good DLC, etc. But it still bothers me that these are the types of practices we see in the industry, even from the "good" guys.
This would be completely unacceptable anywhere else.
Fact 1: vertical slices are common practice in the industry.
Fact 2: being a game developer and going "oh shit, it doesn't really work" when your fully open world systems do not allow your game to look as good as your smoke and mirrors vertical slice is bullshit of the highest caliber.

edit: to clarify, what I'm saying is that I find it very hard to believe that they were caught by surprise when they moved from a vertical slice to a full game and now suddenly your game doesn't look the same.

Sinistral

Wasn't planning on getting W3 due to not being a fan of the first game and overall direction but... reading about this has made me extremely cautious about anything they say about Cyberpunk. Pretty much stopped pre-ordering all together anyway.

HowZatOZ

Banned
You know I've found it a tad strange we are basing all these arguments on a trailer made two years ago that barely showed any of the game outside of some conceptual gameplay mechanics. Not saying that the project has clearly been downgraded from its initial projection but the trailer was just that, a projection.

Of course it would help if CDPR had outlined what the trailer represented in terms of development but to base all arguments on a very small snippet of what the game could be is nearing the definition of stretching. Again, there has been downgrades, that can't be denied, however the entire argument being based on two year old "footage" that clearly didn't show nor represent the final game isn't exactly what I would call sound.

Kurdel

Banned
Do love the way everyone is a moral paladin in the internet, so pure, so true, so sinless

Light my way with ethics please, show me truth

It reminds me of how our hobby is fucked when I see people like you defend bullshit PR, or ridiculing people who demand a more transparent development process...

Etnos

Banned
It reminds me of how our hobby is fucked when I see people like you defend bullshit PR, or ridiculing people who demand a more transparent development process...

They'll get you man, those sleazy developers, they gonna get you, watch out!

because is not like they can make a honest mistake when dealing with a project of the magnitud of the TW3

ryanthelion123

Neo Member
Wow, I'm really amazed how some are still sticking up for them. This is one of the worst downgrades we have seen and they are deflecting any responsibility. I cant believe they are still using shots from before the downgrade to promote the game.

Edit: Look at http://thewitcher.com/witcher3/

How is this possible? They are using footage that is miles better than we have today. Isn't this misleading?

because is not like they can make a honest mistake when dealing with a project of the magnitud of the TW3

They could've owned up to it, but instead lied all the way up till release. Honest mistake my ass.

viveks86

Very interesting Eurogamer article. Quite surprised that they are acknowledging and apologizing for cut backs made. So I guess the forward lit particles stuff is gone for good. I hope they can bring it back with DX 12 as that was hugely impressive.

So I finally reached Velen and have been playing around a lot with ToD by meditating over and over. Here's the best version I could get so far.

witcher32015-05-2015-46-01-18.png

Yoda

They really aren't very good at double talk. Just the other day they had an interview where the dev claimed it was related to sharpening and motion sickness. Now its Direct X 12 and maybe the consoles had a part? The answer constantly changing is worse than had they just plainly said:

"We cannot optimize the current build enough to make it run on consoles without it looking deplorable on consoles or running at sub 720p <insert framerate which causes bad PR here>. Due to consoles making up more of the sales than PC sales we will have to reduce visual IQ across the board to make the game acceptable on consoles."

Honestly goes a lot further than most companies think. I doubt it would have hurt sales. What is certain is the next game they release will be guilty until proven innocent (Ubisoft style) when it comes to believing if what they are presenting is actually what is getting dev'd. It's truly a damn shame too. They are one of very few devs left the PC community viewed as a true AAA PC dev. Being held back by economical tech is one thing, being lied to is another.

ryanthelion123

Neo Member
*this would not be acceptable in almost any other industry.

First of all just cause something is acceptable doesn't mean it is right.

Also, can you give examples of other industries doing this?
It is like seeing a movie commercial with amazing CGI, then seeing that same scene in the theater and the quality is way worse.

Kurdel

Banned

I think it's really naive to think they didn't see this coming, and chose to not adress it until they had the game on the shelves and that fat 1.5 million pre-order numbers.

Gamers are really the bottom of the barrel in terms of consumer advocacy, with people defending companies like they were their hometeam, they can do no wrong.

Crzy1

Wonder how far away they'll be from the target render of Cyberpunk 2077? At this point it's not even if they'll get close to the trailer they showed but whether or not it will look any good. Honestly, besides character models and some of the world geometry, The Witcher 3 looks pretty mediocre to me, the foliage is the worst offender and I hope there's some hero out there working on a mod to replace it.

I can understand that some sacrifices had to be made, but it seems like they just threw away assets that existed at one point in favor of not making the consoles look like complete dog shit in comparison to the PC or something. The fact that they kept on with the whole "Just wait until launch and we'll show you ultra settings, you'll be impressed!" shtick when they knew it would look marginally better than the game on high settings and then immediately backpedaled away from it and are now throwing consoles under the bus (more-or-less) makes it that much more upsetting. I guess it was bound to happen with them working so close with Warner Brothers to get that marketing money, but it's a shame that a company that was such a beacon for how things should be seems to have completely changed their stance within the course of a couple of months.

Watchdogs was a new IP and visuals became a big part of its initial impressions. The Witcher 3 is the final part of a trilogy. The overall expectations were entirely different. By and large, visuals weren't the biggest selling point at all.

CDPR didn't lie to sell copies, they were going to do that anyway. Does anyone honestly think CDPR stood to lose all sales if they didn't cover up that the game didn't precisely match the 2013 demo? Of course not, they didn't have a reason to lie about it. They knew who was going to buy the game and what they were buying it for, and it wasn't benchmarker's looking for the best graphics ever.

So the visuals were toned down so as to not compromise the far more important aspects of the game. They were making their first open world game to rival the likes of Skyrim on a total budget of half of what Bethesda had. I think downgrading visuals for the sake of the actual gameplay is a good thing.

What should be done? Should CDPR apologize for putting out a good game? At best Watchdogs was a so-so game and probably would have gotten a pass if it were better and Ubisoft didn't have an attitude toward the PC that was the polar opposite of CDPR.

Witcher 3 is a great game, this is why its gets a pass. Ubisoft's reputation on PC prior to Watchdogs was saying 90% of PC gamers pirate their games. CDPR's reputation was being steadfastly against DRM and being committed to their games long after companies like Ubisoft move on to their next game. Didn't ask CDPR for the upgrade to the first Witcher game and never expected one, but they did it anyway, that is how you buy a free pass. Maybe if Ubisoft spent a little more time on stuff like that and a little less on claiming PC gamers are all criminals, they might have gotten a pass for Watchdogs. (would've helped if the game itself wasn't so meh too.)

we were promised a certain level of graphical fidelity. we didn't get it. how hard is this to understand?

Do love the way everyone is a moral paladin in the internet, so pure, so sinless

Light my way with ethics please, show me truth

if i'm giving 60 bucks to someone I better get what I paid for.

it wasn't an honest mistake, they lied. period.

First of all just comes something acceptable doesnt mean it is right.

Also, can you give examples of other industries doing this?
It is like seeing a movie commercial with amazing CGI, then seeing that scene in theatre and the quality is way worse.

can you please edit your post so it makes sense?
if you bought an Apple watch today you would get everything that they advertised. *if I went and bought any car I would get what is advertised. food has labels that tell me what it is, how much of it i'm getting, what nutrition, etc. if I buy medicine it tells me what it does, what it is for and any side effects. in the games industry we routinely get bait and switch. constantly. and yet too many consumers accept it.

jett

D-Member
"If you're looking at the development process," Iwinski begins, "we do a certain build for a tradeshow and you pack it, it works, it looks amazing. And you are extremely far away from completing the game. Then you put it in the open-world, regardless of the platform, and it's like 'oh shit, it doesn't really work'. We've already showed it, now we have to make it work. And then we try to make it work on a huge scale. This is the nature of games development."

No, this is the nature of target renders and bullshit, unrealistic vertical slices.

Jonm1010

Banned
They could've owned up to it, but instead lied all the way up till release. Honest mistake my ass.
Yep.

It's one thing to offer a vertical slice and claim it is representative of gameplay three years ago.

It's another to KNOW later on that what you released will never be achieved and certain aspects have been cut, yet still go out and lie and even use that early footage as near release marketing material.

misho8723

Banned
I'm ok with that interview.. they are still the best company when it comes to customers in the bussines (atleast from the bigger companies).. but they need to learn from their mistakes better

jett

D-Member
I'm ok with that interview.. they are still the best company when it comes to customers in the bussines (atleast from the bigger companies).. but they need to learn from their mistakes better

It's too late, they've been corrupted by dat console money.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
If they had put a response to questions like that out months ago, they wouldn't have gotten the same level of backlash. I appreciate the response but they shouldn't have denied for so long first.

I swear the only demos for open world titles in the past few years that have been representative are inFamous: Second Son and Sunset Overdrive. Guessing because they're on one platform they can more accurately guage what they can do. Open world games have so much more overhead than linear titles and it seems devs don't keep that in mind when making a vertical slice.

No interest in a screenshot thread seems to say otherwise.

It seems like that.

I've been playing the game for a couple of days now on a mix of Ultra/High settings on my GTX970 card, and I think it's definitely close enough to the reveal trailer to be very happy. Can understand if people think they should have handled communication and marketing in a different way, but when it's taken as far as saying that the graphics in the game are average, then I think it's getting quite a bit out of hand.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess

At this point, this is like ruling of a kingdom made of shit and piss.

Gurrry

I used to get upset with downgrades.. now anytime I see a trailer at E3 or anywhere else that shows "gameplay footage", I basically ignore it.

Nothing you see at E3 this year will look as good as advertised when it ships. Its just a part of the way games are made these days. Yeah its shitty, and it sucks for us.. but its just how it is.

This is another reason why I wish devs wouldnt show anything about their game until they have a confirmed shipping date and the game is complete. It would save them alot of PR trouble.

But.. hype.

I bought a GTX 970 for this game and quite frankly, think it looks average at best.

Average? Don't be ridiculous. The game looks great on PC. I'm running with everything on Ultra + Hairworks and HBAO+ and getting between 35-50fps on this setup. Cutscenes are always at 29fps :/

GTX 970
i7 4790
8gb Ram

Wish I could lock the framerate to 40fps just so I didn't have to put up with the random fluctuations. Still I can play it fine like it is thanks to G-sync.

Ophiuchus

TW3 enhanced edition won't solve this downgrade issue.They actually changed the whole rendering engine and mechanics.I doubt that they would achieve the same visual quality with upgrading assets.It is just another promise to keep things cool.But I am still looking forward to some tweaking tools and decent drivers from AMD.

ekim

Average? Don't be ridiculous. The game looks great on PC. I'm running with everything on Ultra + Hairworks and HBAO+ and getting between 35-50fps on this setup. Cutscenes are always at 29fps :/

GTX 970
i7 4790
8gb Ram

Wish I could lock the framerate to 40fps just so I didn't have to put up with the random fluctuations. Still I can play it fine like it is thanks to G-sync.

I have the exact same setup and also a G-Sync monitor. Can't wait to dive into the game when I'm back home in 5 weeks.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
No, this is the nature of target renders and bullshit, unrealistic vertical slices.

To play devil's advocate, how could they possibly know what constituted a realistic vertical slice so early in development?

I think it's fucking terrible that so many vertical slices are the first thing we see and they exceed the quality of the final game. In every case, I wish I didn't have that benchmark to compare the final game to, because often enough the final game isn't bad looking in its own right.

That said, I don't think it's done maliciously or deceptively most of the time. Devs need to set lofty goals for themselves, and when doing that it's simply probability that they will fall short more often than meet or exceed them.

Basically, I just don't believe anything I see anymore and it keeps me from being too bothered. I can't remember the last time (since God of War 3) that a game actually looked better on release than it did 12 months prior.

viveks86

A comparison using the image I posted above. The biggest hit seems to be to the mountains in the distance. No matter how bright it gets (it never seems to get too bright in that area anymore), the mountains always show up as a silhouette, which is probably because they were not able to light objects so far away. The sky never looks as awesome as the ones in the trailer, but it seems like the general quality of the clouds from what I've seen so far isn't as high resolution as the ones in the trailer. The volumetric smoke from the chimneys has certainly been downgraded, if not removed entirely from some areas. I've seen chimneys emitting smoke every now and then, but they are not nearly the same. Object LoD seems intact. Foliage has certainly changed and gets real blurry at low resolutions, but at high resolutions, it's not as bad as people make it seem. There's much more foliage and variety, in fact, though it suffers from billboard effects more than the original sprites.

Comp4.gif

parabolee

My goodness I don't think I have ever seen as many entitled unreasonable cry babies in one thread before.

Game is incredible and looks stunning.

2 year old target footage did look a bit better, get over it and go enjoy the incredible game you have to play.

You are all so hard for by!

RedSwirl

That seems to me like CDPR still suffers from a certain level of inexperience when it comes to advertising and presenting its games along with developing them. This is the first truly AAA game the studio has ever made, the second console game it has ever made, and the third game it has ever made period. It's the same reason the combat sucked in the first two games.

Part of the reason people like CDPR so much is because it's quite disconnected from the EAs and Ubisofts of the world and the way they operate, which makes it seem more humble. That's a double-edged sword though, because CDPR's lack of experience in certain matters compared to EA or Ubisoft probably makes it more likely to slip up with things like this -- showing off an open world game before they actually have it running in an open world.

That seems to me like CDPR still suffers from a certain level of inexperience when it comes to advertising and presenting its games along with developing them. This is the first truly AAA game the studio has ever made, the second console game it has ever made, and the third game it has ever made period. It's the same reason the combat sucked in the first two games.

Part of the reason people like CDPR so much is because it's quite disconnected from the EAs and Ubisofts of the world and the way they operate, which makes it seem more humble. That's a double-edged sword though, because CDPR's lack of experience in certain matters compared to EA or Ubisoft probably makes it more likely to slip up with things like this -- showing off an open world game before they actually have it running in an open world.

Watch Dogs?

Stiler

One of the things Bethseda does better then most studios, wait long into development until you announced your game and know the core game is actually playable and what it will look like.

More studios need to stop with the vertical slices of a game that is in no way shape or form a full functioning game and labeling it as "in-game," yet and they have 0 idea if it will work or not work.

If they advertised that trialer as "target render" no one would be too upset, they could have simply told the truth as the game got closer to release about it not working as well and having ot change things.

RedSwirl

Anyway, just for the record, I didn't pre-order The Witcher 3, and have actually not purchased it yet (I will when I can afford to). I almost never pre-order games anymore but that's getting into a whole other discussion.

If you want you can bring this into a whole wide issue of pre-orders and the way people show off games before they're released. I remember developers showing off pre-release material that didn't match up with the final game since at least the SNES era. Personally I think the entire industry has an issue with how it schedules and manages game development, shown by how often things get delayed compared to other media industries.

Watch Dogs?

Did the Watch_Dogs issue happen because Ubisoft showed if off before it actually had the open world running?

You know what I'm saying though. This is a studio that shipped its first game eight years ago and just tried to out-do Skyrim on probably less than half Skyrim's budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom