• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC: Ori and the Blind Forest 75%off - 4.99$ @Steam (possible price mistake)

Why would they put it on sale for 13 dollars during the biggest sale of the year but then put it up for 5 2 weeks later while it's on sale for 15 on the Xbox One. Obviously a price mistake.

wrowa

Shovel Knight devs said something similar and went back on it multiple times. It is entirely possible that this is something they want to do rather than a mistake. Equally so, it could be a mistake

Would be a pretty drastic change of heart in only two weeks if they went from "no further than 40% off for the rest year" to "75% off two weeks later", though. Shovel Knight was just 33% off for a day or so?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Is it worth it to buy another copy and try to get a refund on a copy bought during the Summer sale? It's been more than 2 weeks and I played it for 6 hours (completed it once).

edit: I can't even find the dialog choice for refunding it because it was cheaper.

I don't think they would let you do it.

Nzyme32

That's a really shitty thing to do.

Tell me you're kidding.

It isn't really a shitty thing to do, nor is it a contentious issue for Steam Refunds which specifically states it doesn't see doing so as abuse of refunds. It's completely up to the individual on whether it is shitty. If I was really low on funds and had bought the game less than 14 days ago, I probably would refund it and pick it up at the lower price

He played the game for 6 hours and finished it.

In that case - yeah probably shitty from my perspective

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
No it's not. That's actually one of the intended ways to use Steam refunds, it's right in the FAQ

No, it's not an intended use of the system to buy a game, play it to completion, and then a month later when it's cheaper in a price error, try to refund your purchase.

Wanderer5

No, it's not an intended use of the system to buy a game, play it to completion, and then a month later when it's cheaper in a price error, try to refund your purchase.

It barely been 2 weeks and a half since it summer sale discount.

But granted given it a price mistake for sure now.

Ventara

He played the game for 6 hours and finished it.

Oh, lol. Okay. Yeah, that's kinda not nice. No way is Valve refunding him.

Side note. Kinda disappointing the game is only 6 hours, but I guess quality over quantity is what I'd prefer with my huge backlog.

wrowa

Yep, it's a pricing error on Valve's end. Mahler just confirmed it on another forum (it's in German, so I guess there's not much point in linking it).

It's been an hour. You'd have thought they would have changed the price by now if it wasn't intentional.

^ welp, that's me told. Still bagged a copy, though.

Wanderer5

Side note. Kinda disappointing the game is only 6 hours, but I guess quality over quantity is what I'd prefer with my huge backlog.

Might be a rush run, since it seems like the average run is like 10-11.

Not sure whether to bite on this or use my Xbox gift card and get it on Xbone. Would my laptop with a GTX 850M, an i7, and 8GB RAM be able to run it better and nicer looking than the Xbone?

You can easily get more than 6 hours out of a single play through.

Gren

Huh, if it's indeed an error, Valve sure is taking their sweet time to fix it.

Thanks for the heads up. Bought.

KarmaCow

That's a really shitty thing to do.

Tell me you're kidding.

When I bought it during the Summer sale I thought it wouldn't get cheaper until the Winter sale. It's been ~3 weeks since I bought it and it's now available for almost a third the price I paid for it. I'm not trying to claim any moral highroad but I don't think it's egregious either if this is not a price mistake.

edit: Turns out it's a price mistake and I couldn't even find the proper options to request a refund anyway so it's moot.

Is it worth it to buy another copy and try to get a refund on a copy bought during the Summer sale? It's been more than 2 weeks and I played it for 6 hours (completed it once).

edit: I can't even find the dialog choice for refunding it because it was cheaper.

This is really trashy, regardless of the fact that you're already over the 2 hour playtime refund limit and ineligible.

RoKKeR

Favorite game of the year for me so far. At that price it almost feels like stealing but I recommend it to everyone.

Wanderer5

When I bought it during the Summer sale I thought it wouldn't get cheaper until the Winter sale. It's been ~3 weeks since I bought it and it's now available for almost a third the price I paid for it. I'm not trying to claim any moral highroad but I don't think it's egregious either if this is not a price mistake.

Well it is a price mistake, so yeah. Steam needs to get onto it quickly heh.

Nzyme32

Yep, it's a pricing error on Valve's end. Mahler just confirmed it on another forum (it's in German, so I guess there's not much point in linking it).

Didn't think Valve could make the error without breaking multiple products. Almost all the time, price errors are on the developers / pubs who have the access to adjusting the pricing.

Regginator

Got a reminder mail from Is There Any Deal. Looks visually stunning and gameplay looks solid, apparently it has a great story to boot. Anyway, didn't pull the trigger at the summer sale, but I have now. $5 seems like a good deal.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Definitely a price mistake on Ori, developer sent out a message last night Ori was going to go on sale today 40% off.

Aaron D.

edit: Turns out it's a price mistake and I couldn't even find the proper options to request a refund anyway so it's moot.

LOL I just realized your user name.

This definitely isn't intentional, guys. So I'm happy for everyone who got Ori at that price... but goddamn, I hope we'll be getting paid for this mess-up :( :( :(

jonno394

Bought and downloading :)

This definitely isn't intentional, guys. So I'm happy for everyone who got Ori at that price... but goddamn, I hope we'll be getting paid for this mess-up :( :( :(

I'd hope Steam would compensate for lost earnings, but then they'll likely not want to give the additional dollars for 100% of purchases as they'll argue that not all of us would've bought it at the correct price.

This is the best new game I've played in the last 3 years. Well worth it even at full price.
So good, and the soundtrack is amaaaaaaaaazing.

Top Bottom