• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC: Ori and the Blind Forest 75%off - 4.99$ @Steam (possible price mistake)

Pejo

Gold Member
Damn, I saw this deal come through my email alert and couldn't purchase because I'm at work. Then I found out you can buy through the steam app on your phone =/

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Moon Studios is an independent developer, but Microsoft funded the game and owns the IP.

This game is nothing like Trine. I'd say it's about the closest thing to classic Nintendo gameplay you'll get besides playing an actual Nintendo game. Add in an incredible orchestral soundtrack, wonderful story and lovable characters and you get my GotY (so far).
I hope you are right, will play on my vacations.

ChrisD

I'm not home right now, otherwise I'd grab copies to Gift to some friends. The game is as close to perfect as you can get.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Well, everyone who got it for 5 bucks: Enjoy it.

I'll go and fix myself a drink now...
Awww. :( I hope Valve compensates you, that's extremely shitty otherwise.

I guess, to look on the bright side: the people who took advantage of this sale, would probably have waited a while before buying it and likely would have waited 'til it was that cheap during a "normal" sale, so you got a bunch of sales in one swoop today?

Still hope Valve compensates you though. Is there any precedent for that?

Damn, I saw this deal come through my email alert and couldn't purchase because I'm at work. Then I found out you can buy through the steam app on your phone =/
Yep, that's how I bought Fallout 3 for $2.75 during the Summer sale (was out of town at the time).

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Where was it stated that Valve was at fault for the error?

Yea I'm like 99% sure that Valve has nothing to do with the sales prices. Unless there was an actual glitch in Steam that caused an anomalous discount, I imagine this was human error on the part of the publisher.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Didn't think Valve could make the error without breaking multiple products. Almost all the time, price errors are on the developers / pubs who have the access to adjusting the pricing.

By and large, price mistakes happen when a new discount is applied and it compounds with the pre-existing discount instead of replacing it, which is something Valve is supposed to ensure doesn't occur, and since publishers can't adjust discounts on-the-fly (which I'd argue is a good thing as otherwise more than a few of them would change their mind mid-sale), if a mistake does rear its head, they're left waiting until Valve is informed about it. It's also not unheard of for Valve to accidentally select the wrong game as a featured deal (e.g. some dinosaur-themed FPS was 75% off as a Daily Deal a couple of years ago or so and was later replaced with HL2), but I don't think that's what happened here given the only featured deals for today are the Daily and the Week-longs, and I believe the latter type is now entirely opt-in-based (i.e. Valve doesn't select them).

Edit: Unless it was the Daily? It was already fixed by the time I entered this thread, but someone mentioned earlier than the discount was set to expire in two days and the regular day-to-day Dailies have been 48-hour deals since the end of the 2013 Summer Sale. Judging from the registry, it seems Shadowgate is the intended Daily, which all but confirms someone at MS stuffed up.

Well, everyone who got it for 5 bucks: Enjoy it.

I'll go and fix myself a drink now...

Bummer. If it makes you feel any better, I paid full price for it on the Xbox, so I wasn't going to buy it again unless I got a crazy deal on it, and $5 was good enough for me to bite.

Awesome, awesome game, by the way.

Nzyme32

By and large, price mistakes happen when a new discount is applied and it compounds with the pre-existing discount instead of replacing it, which is something Valve is supposed to ensure doesn't occur, and since publishers can't adjust discounts on-the-fly (which I'd argue is a good thing as otherwise more than a few of them would change their mind mid-sale), if a mistake does rear its head, they're left waiting until Valve is informed about it. It's also not unheard of for Valve to accidentally select the wrong game as a featured deal (e.g. some dinosaur-themed FPS was 75% off as a Daily Deal a couple of years ago or so and was later replaced with HL2), but I don't think that's what happened here given the only featured deals for today are the Daily and the Week-longs, and I believe the latter type is now entirely opt-in-based (i.e. Valve doesn't select them).

Edit: Unless it was the Daily? It was already fixed by the time I entered this thread, but someone mentioned earlier than the discount was set to expire in two days and the regular day-to-day Dailies have been 48-hour deals since the end of the 2013 Summer Sale. Judging from the registry, it seems Shadowgate is the intended Daily, which all but confirms someone at MS stuffed up.

Ah cheers for the insight

Armaly

I picked up a few extra copies for my friends and one of them doesn't want it so i'm giving it away.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
-
ad5hOev.png
7zwunRg.png
It's ModBot's birthday! Celebrate by giving out something other than bundle garbage today!
7zwunRg.png
ad5hOev.png

- This is a giveaway for the thread url: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1075907.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Armaly, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker--if you have both fewer than five posts in this thread--you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Ori and the Blind Forest -- MB-3D4066312F9FFAC6 - Taken by gimel. 24 entrants total.

t1436235054z1.png

komorebi

All I've seen is praise for this game. Anyone want to fill me in on why its so highly regarded? I passed it up during the summer sale and I'm interested in hearing some first-hand impressions. Does it have levels or is it more open like a 'Metroidvania' style platformer?

Regiruler

Ori and the Blind Forest #1 -- MB-04202CEDC39872EC - Taken by Zero-Crescent. 25 entrants total.
Ori and the Blind Forest #2 -- MB-5B731F7AE8B2DEAF - Taken by Frostinferno. 26 entrants total.
Ori and the Blind Forest #3 -- MB-208EDB670B356095 - Taken by Punto. 31 entrants total.
Ori and the Blind Forest #4 -- MB-D3A544F244624464 - Taken by Regiruler. 26 entrants total.

Zm1ij2i.jpg

Aw yeaaaaah

Thanks so much.
And lol @ number 3 having the most entrants. People always assume the 3rd out of 4 is the least conspicuous.

Ashhong

You guys should get to posting to reach the 5 posts necessary for that other giveaway.

its 5 posts for the thread? hmm

Watch streamers play this game all the time. Seemed cool but not enough for me to buy. Wish I saw this thread earlier

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
All I've seen is praise for this game. Anyone want to fill me in on why its so highly regarded? I passed it up during the summer sale and I'm interested in hearing some first-hand impressions. Does it have levels or is it more open like a 'Metroidvania' style platformer?

It's pretty. I haven't played it but it seems like it's a metroidvania with an emphasis on difficult platforming (think Super Meat Boy).

longdi

Banned
It's pretty. I haven't played it but it seems like it's a metroidvania with an emphasis on difficult platforming (think Super Meat Boy).

Is it metroidvania or more classic 2D side scroller?

I have a few highly rated 2D indies games in my account, while they being very pretty and well made, i found them lacking in a bit more depth. I do consider metroidvania the pinnacle of 2D side scrolling game design.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
It has difficult platforming? Damn, I thought this would be a less intense game. I have my hands full already with Cave Story and VVVVVV.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I mean the game is only one of the most beautiful 2d games ever. Seems silly people got it for 5$ so soon after release.

Top Bottom