• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendolife: Project CARS for Wii U cancelled

Ludist210

The WIi U version was never a goal or a promise in the crowdfunding campaign, according to the developer
Bull. The original pitch was for Wii U and PC (plus 360 and PS3). Then resources moved from last gen to current gen with Wii U still included. They said multiple times that the Wii U version was progressing well and looked great. SMS lied.

I'm not big into drivings sims so I wasn't planning to buy this, but it's scummy to say that it was always a "maybe" when what they were saying to the public didn't make it look like that was the case at all.

phanphare

Banned
This game was funded as a PC game. Nothing else was guaranteed

they hyped up the Wii U version pretty hard amidst all the early launch "Wii U not next gen" talk

the developers have only themselves to blame for that widespread misconception

Nouzka

This is why you should never contribute to crowdfunding.

I backed this project from the very beginning because I expected a Wii U version eventually. I am not happy

At least Steam version came out of it

I believe it was originally pitched to backers as a PC/Wii U game before the PS4/XB1 even came out.

This. Devs just aren't willing to put in the effort imo. Nfs on wiiu runs and looks great so I know it can be done. Glad I didn't back this one.

Wow that's a bit scummy, they should offer refunds to everyone that expected a Wii U version of this game.

They sold it to us as Wii U/PC project

Crazy. Crowdfunding can be a great tool but when stuff like this happens, it makes me very wary of the whole process. The fact that they took so long to finally officially cancel the game is really disrespectful to those who backed the game hoping for a Wii U version.

I'm so glad the only project I've personally funded, Shovel Knight, turned out to be a big success.

Are you guys sure it was originally promised to WiiU also? Developer apparently said it was never promised for sure.

DedValve

Banned
I still remember them saying that they'll push WiiU to the max.

They probably should have seen this coming a mile away. The WiiU was always going to be a problem both in terms of development & sales.

It's totally understandable and shouldn't come as a surprise to anybody.

But it was really kinda ignorant of them to go ahead and say ahead of E3 that "they're gonna wait for the next hardware announcement from Nintendo" when that had been confirmed by Nintendo multiple times earlier.

Velcro Fly

If the Wii U version was never supposed to be a thing, where would all the hype for it come from? Even before the talk that it might be cancelled people were hyping it up. It didn't come out of thin air. It had to come from the people making the game, no?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
In the end it's not such a big loss. I ended buying it on PC and while it looks very pretty it's utterly boring somehow. And I knew what to expect from it.

xrnzaaas

I'm surprised they had this version in their original plans. Even if WiiU was powerful enough they probably wouldn't sell more than 10000 copies.

glaurung

Ice cold, WiiU is not up to snuff.

Figures though. I am glad they can now devote more resources to the rest of the versions.

Are you guys sure it was originally promised to WiiU also? Developer apparently said it was never promised for sure.

It was absolutely promised for Wii U originally. It was definitely not a "maybe" when they were asking people for money. I remember it pretty well. They were using the Wii U "hype" to generation interest in their game.

KHlover

Banned
Eh bring PCars2 to NX and I'll accept it. When first reports about the performance on PS4/Xbox came in I was 100% sure the game would be cancelled.

phanphare

Banned
True.

But they lied to an irrelevant market share. No one would have bought it on Wii U, let's be real.

I mean, yeah the sales would have been shit but someone was going to buy it. also no one forced the developers to talk the talk without their walking shoes at the ready.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
If the Wii U version was never supposed to be a thing, where would all the hype for it come from? Even before the talk that it might be cancelled people were hyping it up. It didn't come out of thin air. It had to come from the people making the game, no?

There was even a porting/development log for Wii U before they started moving everything into developing for PS4 and Xbone.

Huff

Banned
they hyped up the Wii U version pretty hard amidst all the early launch "Wii U not next gen" talk

It was back when the wii u was expected to be better than it was

when the ps360 version was cancelled, writing was on the walls that the wii u wouldn't be able to run it.

sure, they shouldn't have delayed announcing it was cancelled, but sounds like they were still trying to potentially port it going into e3

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I wonder what the game was, technically, when they were boasting about a Wii U version. It should be clear that the final product was never going to work well on Wii U (or PS3 and 360). It feels like they would have had to make a massively scaled back version of the game to hit last gen targets.

That said, I would like to have seen the work they were doing at least. It sounds like it was at least up and running (slowly) on Wii U and I want to see what it looks like.

Oh I know, but them saying it was always a "maybe" isn't true. This was promoted as a Wii U and PC project from the get-go.
Clearly the scope of the project changed.

What would you prefer? That they limit the project's potential in order to satisfy the meager Wii U audience? The Project CARS we have now wouldn't exist on Wii U, PS3, or 360. It would have to be a different game in a lot of ways. Surely you can understand that, as a smaller studio, it wouldn't make sense to continue working on Wii U given the current market conditions.

If the Wii U were a smashing success I'm sure they could justify making a different version of the game.

phanphare

Banned

when the ps360 version was cancelled, writing was on the walls that the wii u wouldn't be able to run it.

sure, they shouldn't have delayed announcing it was cancelled, but sounds like they were still trying to potentially port it going into e3

no the writing was not on the wall because they actually used the ps360 cancellation to help hype the existence of a Wii U version

they made this situation and have no one to blame but themselves. this thread proves that.

FelipeMGM

Bull. The original pitch was for Wii U and PC (plus 360 and PS3). Then resources moved from last gen to current gen with Wii U still included. They said multiple times that the Wii U version was progressing well and looked great. SMS lied.

I'm not big into drivings sims so I wasn't planning to buy this, but it's scummy to say that it was always a "maybe" when what they were saying to the public didn't make it look like that was the case at all.

the developers have only themselves to blame for that widespread misconception

It was absolutely promised for Wii U originally. It was definitely not a "maybe" when they were asking people for money. I remember it pretty well. They were using the Wii U "hype" to generation interest in their game.

Oh boy, than this is a real dick move from this dev. And the fact that they are calling it the Wii U version an ''always maybe'' now makes it even worse

plufim

Considering so many people expected a WiiU version, it has to fall on the developers heads for not being clear enough. And as far as I am concerned, they allowed this to consider, because it gave them oodles of free coverage they would otherwise have not gotten.

To now turn around and say "well we never technically promised it so it's kind of your fault for being upset" is a huge dick move.

Anyone in this thread blaming the customers for being duped should reconsider whose side they are putting themselves on.

For my mind though, the minute they revealed they had teamed up with Namco was the minute I knew it was canned.

Nouzka

Hmmh ok, I never followed this project from the start so I don't know what they have promised. Only know that they cancelled 360 and PS3 versions. If they really did promise WiiU version originally, that's indeed shitty for people who supported the game because of the WiiU game.

If they said WiiU when people were funding it, then.. they deserve to be put over the coals a bit.

Can someone summarise the funding the days of the project?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Nope. It was even after the Wii U was out. There was also a slide with Wii U/Gamepad specific features. There was a development log. Up until they decided to move everything to PS4 & Xbone. Then suddenly the development log stopped including Wii U news at some point.

duckroll

The WIi U version was never a goal or a promise in the crowdfunding campaign, according to the developer

Was about to ask about this. No goal or promise? Stinks, but them's the breaks kids.

Are you gauys sure? On the Nintendo Life article they say it was never a goal or something like it

I'm confused

If that's the case, why does people keep repeating that it was promised? Wasn't 360/PS3 versions also in development at some point, but those also got cancelled.

This game was funded as a PC game. Nothing else was guaranteed

http://www.wmdportal.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/WMD_Overview_160212.pdf

This is the original overview pitch pdf for their crowdfunding portal announcing Project CARS as the first project back in 2012. Check out pages 16, 19, 28, and 36. Especially page 28. :p

Huff

Banned
no the writing was not on the wall because they actually used the ps360 cancellation to help hype the existence of a Wii U version

they made this situation and have no one to blame but themselves. this thread proves that.

blame themselves for what?

disappointing a few nintendo fans is the least of any developers worries

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Nope. It was even after the Wii U was out. There was also a slide with Wii U/Gamepad specific features. There was a development log. Up until they decided to move everything to PS4 & Xbone. Then suddenly the development log stopped including Wii U news at some point.
So do you guys really want a stripped down, low performance version of the game then? That's what it would have to be.

Are you gauys sure? On the Nintendo Life article they say it was never a goal or something like it

I'm confused

This is the second news that was ever posted on their website, beginning of 2014: http://www.projectcarsgame.com/home/which-platform-are-you-getting-project-cars-on

Together with the following poll:

Which platform are you going to get Project CARS on?
Xbox One
PlayStation 4
Windows
Wii U
Steam OS

Results: 28,69 Percent for Wii U, 23,61 Percent Steam OS, 23,07 Percent Windows, 18,21 Percent PlayStation 4 and 6,42 Percent Xbox One.

http://www.wmdportal.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/WMD_Overview_160212.pdf

This is the original overview pitch pdf for their crowdfunding portal announcing Project CARS as the first project back in 2012. Check out pages 16, 19, 28, and 36. Especially page 28. :p

Thank you so much for this.

I have no idea why everyone is so confused about this. It should be an outright shitstorm. Maybe Bell wrote somewhere in an FAQ or on Twitter, far away for the public eye, that the port for Wii U is very shaky and not promised. The marketing of this company, however, openly promoted this and well - they lied. Im sure somewhere is a source that they use as a loophole, but i just can't see this is fair and right.

pa22word

Anyone mad at this hasnt been paying attention to the latest wii u sales numbers.

There's no market for the game on the system, and downporting it now would be a massive waste of resources. Nintendo fans just need to take the l amd move on at this point. The system bombed, and the project cars guys shifted gears to meet where the market was.

18-Volt

They're gonna be so disappointed when NX turns out to be a handheld. I still think that next Nintendo home console is years away.

So do you guys really want a stripped down, low performance version of the game then? That's what it would have to be.

At this point, I don't think anyone really wants that. It doesn't change the fact that this game was originally being developed with Wii U as a primary focus and that some people invested their own money in the project because of this.

I think my biggest issue is the fact that the developer is flat-out lying about Wii U always being a "maybe". Yeah, it's possible that was the case internally. But that was not the case publicly and it's pretty sad that they're resorting to this to try and save face. Just be honest, particularly with the people who gave you their money in good faith.

Jigorath

Banned
If the WiiU simply isn't strong enough then I don't see how that's the developer's fault. If they don't want to downgrade their game for a version that in all likelihood isn't going to sell very well then I can understand. They shouldn't have promised a WiiU version that early though but oh well.

wrowa

They wanted to bring Project Cars to Xbox 360/PS3/Wii U at the beginning, but they never promised that supporters would get one of those versions. AFAIR the crowdsourcing period was only to get access to the PC beta versions. People forget that Project Cars was a thing before that whole Kickstarter thing happened: It was pretty different from what is crowdsourcing now.

When a Kickstarter today tries to get individual fans to pay as much money as possible for a game, Project Cars was supposed to be more of an investment where supporters would actually get a share of the profit if the game is successful. The developers even said that the higher tiers are supposed to target small and large businesses.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Nope, I don't want anything at this point, I have it on PC and I stop playing it quite soon after launch. I was just pointing out that the story that the Wii U version was never hyped by developer is not true.

Still not sure why it was promised in the first place. Never made much sense.

3110770777_1_5_lBvpbmAD.gif

Top Bottom