• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 3: ODST and Halo: Reach

PAX was awesome... expect an absurd amount of pictures and a write-up coming soon.

Also, most of the shirts honestly weren't any good... I was pretty upset to be honest.

And I capped a bunch of the panel, some interesting stuff... I'll upload videos soon :)

P.S. Ghal wtf you are at PAX? Say hi to me... and goatrope... and then me again.

Edit: couple pictures for now. Me playing Firefight

September4th2009-PaxDay1106Small.jpg

September4th2009-PaxDay1104Small.jpg

so I purposely haven't been keeping up with ODST, not because I'm not interested, but because for the last 5 years or so I think I have oversaturated my own knowledge of all my games and diluted the actual experience

with that said, have Bungie said anything of significance about Reach yet?

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
GodfatherX said:
so I purposely haven't been keeping up with ODST, not because I'm not interested, but because for the last 5 years or so I think I have oversaturated my own knowledge of all my games and diluted the actual experience

with that said, have Bungie said anything of significance about Reach yet?

No and they probably won't until the end of this year.

Ten-Song

Devin Olsen said:
Why is there no BR in ODST - PAX Panel Question

Thought there might be a few of you on here that would like to hear/see this.

Video is still processing, so the quality will improve soon.

That answer seems kind of weird, in the way that I'm not sure sure it's truthful, or just them playing it safe to try and avoid nerd rage. Would have made more sense to come out and say "we're trying to move away from the BR and do something new" because I can't really imagine the Battle Rifle would have been some straw that broke the camel's back in regards to their engine.

Hope this isn't to off topic... I apologize if it is.

September4th2009-PaxDay1164Medium.jpg

That was an insanely long day! But I had a blast...

So yesterday we rolled into Seattle sometime in the mid-afternoon. We checked into our Hotel and then met up with Max for a quick bite to eat (KFC... they didn't have they double down sandwich's... I was devastated).

Double down goodness... almost
tumblr_koow3381ET1qzvnxpo1_400.jpg

Afterwards we went back to the hotel and got to bed pretty early so we could wake up early for PAX.

goatrope and Crab hanging out in the room
September4th2009-PaxDay1002Medium.jpg

We woke up early, had an awesome (free) breakfast and then headed off to PAX.

oh man free breakfast
September4th2009-PaxDay1008Medium.jpg

I would definitely be jealous if I were you
September4th2009-PaxDay1011Medium.jpg

We arrived at the convention center around 8:30AM grabbed our tickets and then queued up in a _massive_ line.

Massive line... wait.. no. This is just the line to get the pass. THEN you can wait in line
September4th2009-PaxDay1017Medium.jpg

September4th2009-PaxDay1015Medium.jpg

September4th2009-PaxDay1020Medium.jpg

Here is the line
September4th2009-PaxDay1024Medium.jpg

After watching a bunch of obnoxious youtube videos and over used internet memes, we were let into Expo.

Line folk
September4th2009-PaxDay1027Medium.jpg

The booths this year are all pretty incredible... PAX is becoming closer and closer to E3 each year, which is definitely a good thing... I will say though, it has been getting busier and busier each year; and I can imagine tomorrow is going to be even worse then today was.

September4th2009-PaxDay1030Medium.jpg

September4th2009-PaxDay1031Medium.jpg

September4th2009-PaxDay1035Medium.jpg

New Splinter Cell! Looked amazing
September4th2009-PaxDay1058Medium.jpg

Regardless, the booths were a blast to walk thru, and Swag was being handed out freely.

<i>skipping ahead here... but Swag from the whole day!</i>
September4th2009-PaxDay1157Medium.jpg

September4th2009-PaxDay1160Medium.jpg

September4th2009-PaxDay1163Medium.jpg

At around 2:00 we lined up for the 'Prepare to Drop' ODST Panel that was going to be presented at 3:30... When we got upstairs to the theater we saw another _huge_ lineup... We fumbled our way around until we found the end up the line, and then hung out for a couple hours until the Panel started.

September4th2009-PaxDay1074Medium.jpg

September4th2009-PaxDay1075Medium.jpg

Leaving the panel... look at alllll of the people
September4th2009-PaxDay1076Medium.jpg

The panel overall was really good... There was a bunch of cool information about ODST and all the development that has gone into it... And all of the guys were actually hilarious and fun to listen to.
After the slideshow/marty music, they did a Q&A... Most of the questions were better answered by google rather then asking the Bungie guys (how many new maps are on Halo Mythic... ....), but some of the questions were quite surprising and really informative.
I have videos of all of the questions, I will try and upload as many as possible later
This one question though... Is my absolute favorite.
After then panel we just checked out some more booths and got a chance to play some Firefight (ton of fun, but I've already written up my impressions from when I played at Seattle.. so I wont bore you guys).

Logan and I playing Firefight
September4th2009-PaxDay1109Medium.jpg

September4th2009-PaxDay1103Medium.jpg

September4th2009-PaxDay1101Medium.jpg

It's late and I need to get to bed soon, so I apologize if the write up is a little lacking...

More pictures tomorrow though! And if anyone wants pictures of anything or has any questions let me know and I'll try and answer what I can.

-enjoy

More misc pictures

September4th2009-PaxDay1077Medium.jpg

September4th2009-PaxDay1082Medium.jpg

September4th2009-PaxDay1084Medium.jpg

September4th2009-PaxDay1087Medium.jpg

September4th2009-PaxDay1088Medium.jpg

September4th2009-PaxDay1062Medium.jpg

September4th2009-PaxDay1043Medium.jpg

September4th2009-PaxDay1040Medium.jpg

Major Nelson!
September4th2009-PaxDay1045Medium.jpg

SC2 Booth (shout outs HP)
September4th2009-PaxDay1052Medium.jpg

September4th2009-PaxDay1055Medium.jpg

September4th2009-PaxDay1065Medium.jpg

Thermite

SteveO409 said:
Wow that has to be the worst answer ever lol

Yeah, while I'm not bothered at all about the Battle Rifle not being in ODST (Silenced SMG ftw), that was a pretty horrible answer. They have the groundwork already laid out before them in Halo 3, it would obviously need some tweaks in terms of balancing, but I'm not buying they didn't have enough resources. I find it very hard to believe that it takes THAT much memory, etc. for a weapon -- so much so, that they just couldn't make it work in ODST without sacrificing detail when it's already worked fine previously in a game that seems to have a lot more going on.

Edit: Awesome pictures, Devin. Wish I could have went. :)

EazyB

Banned
Devin Olsen said:

Thought there might be a few of you on here that would like to hear/see this.

Video is still processing, so the quality will improve soon.
Judging by your reference point I was sitting a row or two behind you that whole time. I was the first to start cheering fit that little dude.

That said, having had the pleasure of digging into odst I can say with confidence that the BR is not necessary (though it should been included as a power weapon) and is more satisfying than the BR. Has a total CE feel to it. This is coming from the gentleman whose pistol complaints eventually led to the mess that got the thread locke

You really don't have to take my word for it as I'm confident you`ll be satisfied when you get your hands on it

Sorry for the lack of more impressions and if this post is formatted like shit, i'm writing from my phone but i'll put out once I get the proper equipment.

Popeck

EazyB said:
Judging by your reference point I was sitting a row or two behind you that whole time. I was the first to start cheering fit that little dude.

That said, having had the pleasure of digging into odst I can say with confidence that the BR is not necessary (though it should been included as a power weapon) and is more satisfying than the BR. Has a total CE feel to it. This is coming from the gentleman whose pistol complaints eventually led to the mess that got the thread locke

You really don't have to take my word for it as I'm confident you`ll be satisfied when you get your hands on it

Sorry for the lack of more impressions and if this post is formatted like shit, i'm writing from my phone but i'll put out once I get the proper equipment.

Glad to hear it, son.

Dax01 said:

Well, what did I say ;)

Wow, excellent write up and video Devin, insanely jealous of course.

:( because I now have to convince my new roomates to get 6MB broadband by the 22nd..

Arnie

Devin Olsen said:
I would definitely be jealous if I were you
September4th2009-PaxDay1011Medium.jpg
Thanks for the pictures Devin however I have to ask. Why do Americans eat Burger and Chips for breakfast? (Not saying it doesn't look delicious)

Bamihap

Good at being the bigger man
Arnie said:
Thanks for the pictures Devin however I have to ask. Why do Americans eat Burger and Chips for breakfast? (Not saying it doesn't look delicious)
Because they fat! y'know!

Devin Olsen said:
Kid is a badass.

I agree that the answer was really bad. Why didn't they just tell the truth and say that they wanted people to use the sandbox more? Saying that Bungie doesn't have the resources for something is ludicrous.

Thanks for the write up Devin. It looks a lot like what E3 used to be. This is good. I'm glad that there's a convention where gamers can actually go publically. Don't like the new E3 format. Not as cool.
I'm evious of all your free swag. I wish I had some video game shirts. I don't have any. :(

Edit: Arnie, those are sausages... and they are delicious.

Sai-kun

Banned
Arnie said:

sausage patties and...i forget what the potatoes are called. :|

Nothern Europe has hash browns too, just not normally in chip form.
Generally thin, as wide as a potato and triangular (the ones I've had in Britain and Ireland).

big ander

Arnie said:
That's sausage patties. And those aren't hash browns, I don't know what I'd call them. Grilled potatoes? Except those are usually scalloped.
I thought hash browns looked like this:
7621.jpg

Liam92 said:
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a159/DevinOlsen/September4th2009-PaxDay1077Medium.jpg[/img

Holy shit, that guy in the chair...[/QUOTE]
I noticed this too. :lol :lol

Hah anyway, nice write-up Devin, thanks.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Arnie said:
Well you can understand my confusion when both hash browns and sausages look completely different in the UK.

Those are sausage patties.. we have sausage links as well for breakfast which I strongly prefer to patties.

Those are also not typical hash browns.. they are basically little tiny french fries.

You usually only get those at shitty places that don't know how to make proper hash browns. Edit: what that guy just showed a picture of.

I think the potatoes are called country potatoes, at least that's what we call em down here in Tennessee. Definately not hashbrowns.

If anyone at PAX checks out Dragon Age, I would love impressions.

Sai-kun

Banned
EazyB said:
Glad to hear it :) can't wait to play next friday!

Blueblur1

Sai said:
Wow, dude should've left it at the split functionality bit.

Just a little over two weeks to go. Time kind of just flew by.
That or actually put it bluntly and say that they didn't want to use the BR. I really hope they haven't gotten rid of it for Reach. I'm getting the impression that Bungie no longer cares for the BR which is exactly what happened with the Pistol. Of course, the Pistol was very over-powered.

Gui_PT

You know, if they had left the BR in the game, everyone would just use it instead of taking advantage of the new weapons

So basicly ,with the BR, ODST would basicly be another Halo 3

Top Bottom