• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 3: ODST and Halo: Reach

feel

Gui_PT said:
You know, if they had left the BR in the game, everyone would just use it instead of taking advantage of the new weapons

So basicly ,with the BR, ODST would basicly be another Halo 3
I agree with you, I even posted something similar a while back, but you won't get any pats on the back from the rest of the guys here.

All the hours they've spent playing multi-player has changed their perception of the weapons from Halo, and idolizing the BR is a natural reaction to them since it always gives them a tactical advantage in adversarial multi-player.

I'm glad the BR is not on ODST since I love using all the weapons on campaign, but if there's a BR, I subconsciously favor it. Also, like you said, it will feel different to Halo 3 this way.

BTW, are you portuguese?

Gui_PT

Letters said:
I agree with you, I even posted something similar a while back, but you won't get any pats on the back from the rest of the guys here.

All the hours they've spent playing multi-player has changed their perception of the weapons from Halo, and idolizing the BR is a natural reaction to them since it always gives them a tactical advantage in adversarial multi-player.

I'm glad the BR is not on ODST since I love using all the weapons on campaign, but if there's a BR, I subconsciously favor it. Also, like you said, it will feel different to Halo 3 this way.

BTW, are you portuguese?

The BR is awesome, i always chose that weapon automatically in Halo 3
So i'm glad ODST doesn't make me choose :lol

Portuguese? Why yes i am dear sir :D

That argument is pretty weak. Whatever the new most versatile weapon to use is will just replace the BR (Probably the carbine)

Then what? Remove that weapon next game?

zumphry

Banned
Blueblur1 said:

Nice to see Bungie using the old logo one last time on the Mythic disc. I hope to see the new one used in a Myth like opening(big bang/explosion), then I'll start to like it more. :lol

Decided on not going to PAX this year(went last) because Bungie didn't have their own booth, but I guess I screwed myself over due to missing the panel.

EazyB

Banned
Gui_PT said:
You know, if they had left the BR in the game, everyone would just use it instead of taking advantage of the new weapons

So basicly ,with the BR, ODST would basicly be another Halo 3
If the BR was still the primary weapon in ODST it would make the game feel much too similar to Halo 3. The pistol is fucking fun as hell to use, think the CE pistol but slightly less accurate (it's range is more similar to the H3 BR) and with more emphasis on headshots (doesn't do much damage to shields but then again, having just played through CE, its pistol was pretty worthless against shields as well). It feels much more satisfying leveling a group of grunts, jackals, and drones with subsequent single-shot headshots than with one of the three bullets flying out of the BR.

And from what I have played you really don't have to worry about the whole "forcing the player to use the Halo 3 sandbox." The way I've played it is just like the way I played through CE, pistol in one hand with a plasma pistol to strip shields. As long as you're focused on only using the pistol to get headshots and the pistol to strip the brutes of their shields you shouldn't have a problem (until the famine skull turns on perhaps). The carbine is still awesome as well, so if you manage to waste the pistol you can always take down some jackals for a carbine. So yeah, for those people that, like me, cringe at the thought of being forced to use the "Halo 3 sandbox", don't worry. For those that enjoy the beauty and rythem of carefully placed headshots, get pumped, you won't be thinking about the BR
that much
while playing ODST.

Edit: And that extended BR exclusion explanation was all sorts of BS. He shoulda stuck with "because I don't like it" or went straight to the gameplay repercussions he believed its inclusion would have. But I aint too worried about it now.

ZayneH said:
Decided on not going to PAX this year(went last) because Bungie didn't have their own booth, but I guess I screwed myself over due to missing the panel.
Their setup is much better than I feared. I thought it may have turned out like a row of moniters people had to stand up for last year for Gears of War 2 but then have 12 stations with comfy chairs in front of them and now it looks like more Halo goodness can be found elsewhere. Ghaleon, that old saint, is going to get me in for today so I'm exctied.

I'm really glad I went to the panel and am glad skip recorded it because I thought it was worth the watch. Hope they continue to do more panels (Reach at PAX 10).

Gui_PT

xxjuicesxx said:
That argument is pretty weak. Whatever the new most versatile weapon to use is will just replace the BR (Probably the carbine)

Then what? Remove that weapon next game?
You do have a point, I guess. Thinking about what I said, removing the weapon would be a possibility, but I doubt it'll happen. Specially not with Halo Reach
But I still think the game will feel much less Halo3-ish without the BR.
Halo 3 is a great game, don't get me wrong. It's just that if I'm going to spend 60 euros on a game, I want to spend that money on something that doesn't just feel like Halo 3.

EazyB said:
If the BR was still the primary weapon in ODST it would make the game feel much too similar to Halo 3. The pistol is fucking fun as hell to use, think the CE pistol but slightly less accurate (it's range is more similar to the H3 BR) and with more emphasis on headshots (doesn't do much damage to shields but then again, having just played through CE, its pistol was pretty worthless against shields as well). It feels much more satisfying leveling a group of grunts, jackals, and drones with subsequent single-shot headshots than with one of the three bullets flying out of the BR.

And from what I have played you really don't have to worry about the whole "forcing the player to use the Halo 3 sandbox." The way I've played it is just like the way I played through CE, pistol in one hand with a plasma pistol to strip shields. As long as you're focused on only using the pistol to get headshots and the pistol to strip the brutes of their shields you shouldn't have a problem (until the famine skull turns on perhaps). The carbine is still awesome as well, so if you manage to waste the pistol you can always take down some jackals for a carbine. So yeah, for those people that, like me, cringe at the thought of being forced to use the "Halo 3 sandbox", don't worry. For those that enjoy the beauty and rythem of carefully placed headshots, get pumped, you won't be thinking about the BR
that much
while playing ODST.

What he said

Cool me too, I was born in Funchal, Madeira.

Cool. I'm from Porto :D

zumphry

Banned
EazyB said:
Their setup is much better than I feared. I thought it may have turned out like a row of moniters people had to stand up for last year for Gears of War 2 but then have 12 stations with comfy chairs in front of them and now it looks like more Halo goodness can be found elsewhere. Ghaleon, that old saint, is going to get me in for today so I'm exctied.

I'm really glad I went to the panel and am glad skip recorded it because I thought it was worth the watch. Hope they continue to do more panels (Reach at PAX 10).

Yeah, I was worried that they'd be set up with just 4 monitors, with a ODST poster on a wall. That, and a really, really long line. Sad to say it, but I screwed myself over.

Oh well, at least PAX 10 Boston is closer to me than Seattle(I wonder what Reach is like, if there is a closed door session like last year. What will it be in Boston? Marathon Pfhor? Oni 2? Myth III: The Real Edition?).

zumphry

Banned
enzo_gt said:
Is that the Chief when he's drifting off into space?

It's the multiplayer Mark VI model, on Citadel. Chief had that ding/scratch on his armor in Halo 3, remember(same with the Multiplayer characters in the Beta..:( )?

Kibbles said:
No, it's a Spartan on Citadel.

Dangit, beaten..wait..

Kibbles
(Today, 01:17 PM)

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Blueblur1

I'm hoping that Bungie will at least give us a Halo: Reach sneak peek at PAX East/Boston. It would suck to go all the way over there and not see something new from my favorite developer. :(

big ander

Blueblur1 said:
I'm hoping that Bungie will at least give us a Halo: Reach sneak peek at PAX East/Boston. It would suck to go all the way over there and not see something new from my favorite developer. :(
Well PAX East will be September, right? I'm sure by then you might be getting a gameplay video.

big ander

Blueblur1 said:
No, it's at the end of March. March 26th - 28th 2010 to be exact.
I see, I'm uninformed then. I figured it was just at the same annual time. Ouch, that'll be hard for the Penny Arcade guys to coordinate.
I would also expect a trailer by then.

Kibbles

The beta should be near by then, so I would think so.

ZayneH said:
It's the multiplayer Mark VI model, on Citadel. Chief had that ding/scratch on his armor in Halo 3, remember(same with the Multiplayer characters in the Beta..:( )?

Dangit, beaten..wait..

Kibbles
(Today, 01:17 PM)

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
:lol It was meant to be.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Blueblur1 said:
That or actually put it bluntly and say that they didn't want to use the BR. I really hope they haven't gotten rid of it for Reach. I'm getting the impression that Bungie no longer cares for the BR which is exactly what happened with the Pistol. Of course, the Pistol was very over-powered.

That's exactly what he said. Paul supplied multiple reasons why the BR wasn't in the game.

Blueblur1

urk said:
That's exactly what he said. Paul supplied multiple reasons why the BR wasn't in the game.
Really? Okay. I guess we'll see and hear it for ourselves once skip puts up the complete panel. Also, it doesn't help that I watched the video in bed from my iPhone. :lol

Captain N

I am pretty excited about ODST and not even really thinking about Reach right now. That gif looks awesome as does the live action trailer.

Gui_PT said:
It's just that if I'm going to spend 60 euros on a game, I want to spend that money on something that doesn't just feel like Halo 3.

If that's the case you probably shouldn't be buying a game called Halo 3: ODST.

GhaleonEB

urk said:
The most important, I think, was that the BR functionality is now split between the SMG and the pistol.

So glad the BR is gone.

Blueblur1

Is there an in-depth explanation for that? I can't fathom what function the silenced SMG provides in relation to the Battle Rifle. All the SMG seems to have received is a scope and the bullets seem to be more accurate at mid-range. That sounds like a scoped Assault Rifle, no?

I don't mean to be a negative Nancy but I think that the new SMG won't be anymore useful than the H3 SMG is. And the new Pistol seems to be helpful solely because it can be used for accurate headshots, can be fired rapidly, and has a scope. It's power seems to equal that of the Halo 2 Magnum at best.

Quite simply, I'm not impressed. The new weapons don't seem to be useless but they don't seem to be worthy of any praise either.

GhaleonEB said:
The most important, I think, was that the BR functionality is now split between the SMG and the pistol.

So glad the BR is gone.
Still waiting on your detailed impressions, Ghal.:D

If you're glad the BR is gone for ODST, that's probably how I'll feel.

Tom Penny

I think this game is going to get mixed reviews. Especially from Halo diehards. No dual weilding, stamina instead of shields, a visor that you apparently need because most of the game is in the dark.

Tom Penny said:
I think this game is going to get mixed reviews. Especially from Halo diehards. No dual weilding, stamina instead of shields, a visor that you apparently need because most of the game is in the dark.

You mean it's like Halo 1, the most critically acclaimed Halo game is the series? Yea.

If it were to get mixed reviews it would not be for those reasons. Length mainly

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Tom Penny said:

Why? Halo 1 didn't have dual wielding.. and Halo 3 toned the dual wielding WAAY down.

and the overworld is in the dark. The flashbacks are all during the day.

GhaleonEB

DancingJesus said:
Yep, amen.
And that's not based on one quick run at PAX. I wasn't going to say anything about it, but since KP up and posted a story on it, I spent four hours playing last night at Bungie. Here's KP's post about it (he was there, obviously). That's actually me in the middle of the first pic ("Intensity" is right). Needless to say, thanks to the Bungie guys for a hell of a good time.

Firefight is really, really, really fucking good. The pistol is the perfect headshot weapon, and more satisfying to use than the BR because it requires a higher degree of accuracy. When you mow down a row of Grunts with it, it feels good. But you'll need something to take down shielded enemies, because it takes a full clip + to take one down at the higher difficulties. The SMG is a great go-to mid range weapon, but I found myself using everything. The Needler is gold in Firefight.

I'm not sure how much has been posted about the Hunters - I'm still catching up on stuff, as I've had only 10 minutes of time online since I got to Seattle - but they're a cross between Halo 1 and Halo 3, with the fuel rod gun from Halo 1 instead of the 2/3 variant. They are terrifying.

Heading back home (about a 2.5 hour drive) in just a bit. If anyone has specific questions that haven't been addressed in other impressions, let me know.

GhaleonEB said:
And that's not based on one quick run at PAX. I wasn't going to say anything about it, but since KP up and posted a story on it, I spent four hours playing last night at Bungie. Here's KP's post about it (he was there, obviously). That's actually me in the middle of the first pic ("Intensity" is right). Needless to say, thanks to the Bungie guys for a hell of a good time.

Firefight is really, really, really fucking good. The pistol is the perfect headshot weapon, and more satisfying to use than the BR because it requires a higher degree of accuracy. When you mow down a row of Grunts with it, it feels good. But you'll need something to take down shielded enemies, because it takes a full clip + to take one down at the higher difficulties. The SMG is a great go-to mid range weapon, but I found myself using everything. The Needler is gold in Firefight.

I'm not sure how much has been posted about the Hunters - I'm still catching up on stuff, as I've had only 10 minutes of time online since I got to Seattle - but they're a cross between Halo 1 and Halo 3, with the fuel rod gun from Halo 1 instead of the 2/3 variant. They are terrifying.

Heading back home (about a 2.5 hour drive) in just a bit. If anyone has specific questions that haven't been addressed in other impressions, let me know.

Nice, didn't know that. Sounds crazy, wish I could of went to PAX.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Tom Penny said:

I don't think the campaign or firefight will give it mixed reviews. I think the game being 60$ will give it mixed reviews. I'm cool with the 60$ but I'm sure non die-hard Halo fans will have a problem with it.

Blueblur1

I figured something was up when I heard a Fuel Rod blast sound effect when a Hunter fired that was almost off-screen. I saw that when was watching the streams.

S1kkZ

Tashi0106 said:
I don't think the campaign or firefight will give it mixed reviews. I think the game being 60$ will give it mixed reviews. I'm cool with the 60$ but I'm sure non die-hard Halo fans will have a problem with it.

why? 8 hour campaign with 4 player online coop and firefight + halo 3 mp. not many 60$ games have that much value.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
S1kkZ said:
why? 8 hour campaign with 4 player online coop and firefight + halo 3 mp. not many 60$ games have that much value.

I agree totally but the Halo 3 multiplayer will be 2 years old at that point.

It will have every Halo 3 map as well and a Reach beta invite. I think it's totally worth the 60$ but some people will see the campaign and firefight as the only valuable parts.

GhaleonEB said:
You got to play at Bungie? *is envious* That's so awesome. I'll read the article in the link you posted later.

Can you give a detailed write-up of the game you most remember? From start to finish? That'd be fantastic. And you make out the pistol to be really good: can't wait to use it.

tonitoni

GhaleonEB said:

GhaleonEB said:
with the fuel rod gun from Halo 1 instead of the 2/3 variant.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!! :D :D :D :D

S1kkZ

Tashi0106 said:
I agree totally but the Halo 3 multiplayer will be 2 years old at that point.

It will have every Halo 3 map as well and a Reach beta invite. I think it's totally worth the 60$ but some people will see the campaign and firefight as the only valuable parts.
and thats still more content then most full-priced shooters have. anyway, i live in europe and the game is just 40 bucks here :)

Sai

GhaleonEB said:
Niiiice~

Did they leave the start up glow from Halo 1?

Blueblur1

Very very cool of Bungie to set Ghal and those guys up. I've read that the lines to play ODST at PAX are treacherous almost. 2 hour wait supposedly.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Kibbles said:
Juices went to PAX?

Brian doing the soulja boy.

September4th2009-PaxDay1062Medium.jpg

Is it just me or is the dude on the far left completely scaring the fuck out of me?

GhaleonEB

Sai said:
Niiiice~

Did they leave the start up glow from Halo 1?
I think so, but honestly it was hard to get a good look - they never come out solo, so there's a lot to worry about when they come charging in. I'm pretty sure it does the long charge up, but they don't stand still while it's charging - they continue to charge you (and adjust their aim) as it charges. Can't dodge it as easy as the Halo 1 variants.

The Chieftain rounds are utterly brutal (no pun intended). Pretty sure they drop 4-6 Chieftains at a time, in addition to about 15-20 other Covenant, off at the same time. And since ODSTs move slightly slower than Spartans, you can't outrun the Hammer Chieftains. The only thing you can do is try to get objects between you and them or thrown enough at them to slow'em down.

I had a crazy encounter with one on a nighttime map (Crater Night, I think). He's thrown on invincibility and charged me, and I was backpedaling like crazy throwing whatever I had at him. He didn't flinch. As he got close it ran out, and I tossed a plasma grenade at him and he dodged it, giving me a few extra moments. I ran up a set of stairs that doubled back and looked down on the first flight. He charged up them and I fired on him from above. He turned around and did one of those massive leaps straight up, with the hammer held overhead, leaping right up to my level and pancaked me on the spot.

Which reminds me of another thing I haven't seen mentioned enough: just how aggressive the AI is. This does *not* feel like fighting Halo 3 AI, which tended to stay in their dedicated areas. These are much more aggressive, and actively go hunting for you. There's apparently some modified AI at work, so if you're hiding the enemy goes into a search mode, scrubbing every inch of the map until you're found. This includes the "safe" spawning room. I was hiding in a spawn room once, which has several ways in and few nooks and crannies. A Jackal charged through the door and stopped, looking around. He then went to the closest room - I was in the one accross from it - and stopped at the entrance. He actually did a check of the room, looking both ways, then turned around and searched my room (eating some plasma upon entering (I was down to a plasma pistol)).

Another time I tried to use the smaller rooms as a choke point to narrow the stream of enemies down. That didn't end well for me. Not only were there too many, but they don't enter a room like they do in the rest of the series. They poured in and fanned out, much faster than I could take them down. It wasn't the one at a time headshot parade I was expecting - I got crushed.

In general there's just a heightened sense of vulnerability. There's no safe places, the enemy constantly advancing, and they're just more dangerous than in Halo 3. Spotting one or two Brutes does not mean you can just take them down - you have to stop and check to make sure you have the right weapons and enough cover to fall back to. Even one of them is dangerous, and there's often 10 or more (and other guys in the mix) roaming the level. And aside from when they pile out of the Phantoms, they never really cluster up - they fan out to spread the entire map. This is especially dangerous with the Buggers, who spread out to attack from all directions rather than stay in one pack like in Halo 3.

Hope that's enough rambling for now. Gonna head home and maybe formulate some more coherent thoughts along the way.

zumphry

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Post of description of why I will be wetting my pants when playing ODST in 18 days

Well, wow. Now I have to buy ODST, and a few towels on the 22nd, great.

I've been replaying Halo since yesterday(stopped after Halo, the level), and that post describes some of the stuff I loved in Halo. Though, after beating the Belly of the Beast room(Two Hunters), I'm down to no Marines(they're nice distractions for the Jackals and Grunts). Crap.

EDIT: Any word on Customs happening, or not due to PAX? Would like to see what you guys think of Barracks vs Barracks Open, and get another game in on the slightly modified Drought.

Hunters are easy, stick them once or twice and they die. I seen some dude literally circle around one and beat down over and over and they just stood there. Shit AI.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
PAX Panel said:
A number of odds and ends were also offered during the Q&A portion of the panel. According to community manager Brian Jarrad, people should "be sure to keep your ODST disk handy" for when Bungie begins to talk more about its next Halo project, Halo: Reach.

Sex. :D

Nutter

Kind of off topic, but who is charge of "NeoGAF Halo" and "NeoGAF VIP" gamertags?

Also Hunters/Chieftans on Legendary are brutal.

Top Bottom