• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 3: ODST and Halo: Reach

GhaleonEB said:
Which reminds me of another thing I haven't seen mentioned enough: just how aggressive the AI is. This does *not* feel like fighting Halo 3 AI, which tended to stay in their dedicated areas. These are much more aggressive, and actively go hunting for you. There's apparently some modified AI at work, so if you're hiding the enemy goes into a search mode, scrubbing every inch of the map until you're found. This includes the "safe" spawning room.

In general there's just a heightened sense of vulnerability. There's no safe places, the enemy constantly advancing, and they're just more dangerous than in Halo 3. Spotting one or two Brutes does not mean you can just take them down - you have to stop and check to make sure you have the right weapons and enough cover to fall back to. Even one of them is dangerous, and there's often 10 or more (and other guys in the mix) roaming the level. And aside from when they pile out of the Phantoms, they never really cluster up - they fan out to spread the entire map. This is especially dangerous with the Buggers, who spread out to attack from all directions rather than stay in one pack like in Halo 3.

Hope that's enough rambling for now. Gonna head home and maybe formulate some more coherent thoughts along the way.

Great impressions Ghal - your AI analysis has ratcheted my hype back to maximum :)

Yeah, the AI is much more intelligent than in H3 Campaign. I only got to play for a total of 20 minutes (with infinite lives), and I could tell a big difference, especially if you tried to ambush a group filing into the arena from an door. They would actively defend themselves to push you back so they could get at least one or two Covies around to try and flank you. Awesome stuff.

vhfive

i wont be doing customs tonight because there are friends and such over. maybe late tonight but even then im not sure.
basically saying that with me, eazy and ghal gone someone needs to step the fuck up and take control :p

zumphry

Banned
vhfive said:
i wont be doing customs tonight because there are friends and such over. maybe late tonight but even then im not sure.
basically saying that with me, eazy and ghal gone someone needs to step the fuck up and take control :p

I can always start it, but I can't host it for too long since I think my connection can't host 8v8 :lol . Let me finish this game of Battlefield 1943, then I'll try to start the customs.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
ZayneH said:
I can always start it, but I can't host it for too long since I think my connection can't host 8v8 :lol . Let me finish this game of Battlefield 1943, then I'll try to start the customs.

Party Leader =/= Host.

Really wish I had made the trip out to PAX this year, I was at PAX07 (with a media pass, damn I miss my blogging days) and it was a great time all around

kylej

Banned
mmsl1u.jpg

Arnie

The hormone in the chief's brain which sparks sexual activity suddenly burst into action after years of dormancy causing John to empty a pretty full load into his MJOLNIR armour. The extent of this reaction forced the Spartan to drop to one knee, his eyes searing with tears.

Blueblur1

FYI, #bungie is back in business. Myself and a few fellows are gonna try to keep the IRC chat room populated from now on. Server is EFnet. Channel is #bungie.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Blueblur1 said:
FYI, #bungie is back in business. Myself and a few fellows are gonna try to keep the IRC chat room populated from now on. Server is EFnet. Channel is #bungie.

I'm getting compatibility issues with Chatzilla. The latest version can't be installed with FireFox 3.5.2 for some reason.

feel

GhaleonEB said:
I was hiding in a spawn room once, which has several ways in and few nooks and crannies. A Jackal charged through the door and stopped, looking around. He then went to the closest room - I was in the one accross from it - and stopped at the entrance. He actually did a check of the room, looking both ways, then turned around and searched my room (eating some plasma upon entering (I was down to a plasma pistol)).
Really cool.

Sai-kun

Banned
Stormtrooper30 said:
Oh, well thats just dumb. Here in Memphis and in other cities I've been to it's like "MPD and MFD" New York's just gotta be different.

Guess who I found?
2zi4g03.jpg

who is that? They're sexy.

GhaleonEB said:
Epic Post.

Wow. I wasn't expecting Bungie to do some fine improvements to the AI. Bungie seems to have really stepped up their game with the AI in Firefight.

Thanks. And from the last sentence in your post, looks like there will be more. Can't wait.:D

Blueblur1

Tashi0106 said:
I'm getting compatibility issues with Chatzilla. The latest version can't be installed with FireFox 3.5.2 for some reason.
I use Icechat. It's pretty simple to use as long as you're familiar with IRC clients. Remember to check the lister of servers so you can log onto the closest one.

http://www.efnet.org/?module=servers

Sai-kun said:
who is that? They're sexy.
Hint for the guy on the left: Brute pimp avatar.

GhaleonEB

Not a whole lot to add (that isn't under NDA for a bit longer) that I didn't post already, but I thought of a few more details.

The Engineers are both dangerous for what they do, and very hard to take out. They have a powerful shield, and every time I managed to knock it off, they'd fly away before we could take one down. I never saw one destroyed. I did see their effects several times - fully shielded packs of Grunts, Buggers, Jackals and Hunters. I can't tell you the sheer panic that set in when I went to take out a pack of Grunts with the pistol only to have the shots ping on their shield. Catch was turned on, and that advancing army of little dudes was about to make it rain explosives.

Brutes seem to have the same kind of shield by default that Elites used to have. In Halo 3 most of them just had power armor on, not actual overshields. These guys all have overshields. It makes them much harder.

I only got to one bonus round; I think it was after the second or third full round. It was insane and hilarious. All skulls turn on, so there's a crazy high point modifier, and we had to get 8,000 points before everyone died in order to get some extra lives (which stack as you go). We got 5,500. Being the last man standing as a pack of 20 angry Grunts rain from the sky hurling grenades was, um, something I'll remember, to put it one way.

After a full round, the announcer says "Weapon Drop". That means the health packs and weapons are replaced on the map. In the starting room there's usually a rack with a couple extra SMGs and Pistols, but there's very few power weapons on the maps. One had a rocket launcher and a sniper rifle, but I don't think we found any others. Saving the power weapons for the later parts of the rounds - for Hunters and Chieftains - is very wise.

"Lives Added" is also announced after a round. When I was playing two player on Heroic, we got two lives added to our pool per round. I think the number of lives you get per round varies by difficulty, but don't quote me on that.

The game feels like Halo, but tweaked slightly. I was able to jump in and play seamlessly, but quickly learned that the changes don't so much affect how the game plays, but how you have to play the game. It's that sense of vulnerability I mentioned before - everything is just more dangerous, but it also means that surviving a round with a squad of other players is incredibly satisfying.

It's going to be a long two and a half weeks until the game lands.

GhaleonEB said:
The Engineers are both dangerous for what they do, and very hard to take out. They have a powerful shield, and every time I managed to knock it off, they'd fly away before we could take one down. I never saw one destroyed.

Oh. Shit.

Blueblur1

The improved AI and enemy changes are a big deal in my book. I really didn't and couldn't have noticed those enhancements when I was casually watching justin.tv streams of people playing on Easy and Normal. And there's stuff under NDA, eh? Sounds interesting. Must be something other than the
Michael Jackson at the end of the game
. Maybe more Firefight tidbits?

Domino Theory said:
I'm banned from efnet, laugh out loud?
That's just bizarre. Well, you can always register again. No biggie, right?

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Blueblur1 said:
The improved AI and enemy changes are a big deal in my book. I really didn't and couldn't have noticed those enhancements when I was casually watching justin.tv streams of people playing on Easy and Normal. And there's stuff under NDA, eh? Sounds interesting. Must be something other than the
Superintendent Engineer at the end of the game
. Maybe more Firefight tidbits?

That's just bizarre. Well, you can always register again. No biggie, right?

Why the fuck did I highlight that? -_-

GhaleonEB

I avoided all campaign material at the event, so yeah, Firefight. I did however quote you, forgetting that doing so makes the spoiler visible, and wow you weren't kidding. Fuck. I was doing good so far, too. That seems like one hell of a big spoiler.

:(

Blueblur1

Oh my God. I put a warning in the title so you guys of all people should have avoided it! I edited it and made it a joke now. I feel bad now. :(

feel

Domino Theory said:
Why the fuck did I highlight that? -_-
It was either that, or risk missing out on some amazing joke, even though he said not to click, there was a chance that was part of the joke...

Blueblur1

Letters said:
It was either that, or risk missing out on some amazing joke, even though he said not to click, there was a chance that was part of the joke...
Should I have written "Huge spoiler" instead? I feel terrible. I'm not posting anymore spoilers.

zumphry

Banned
Blueblur1 said:
Also, you fire the Pistol into your own head to summon Master Chief.

But you are the Master Chief, and at the end of the game you find a BR and make sweet love to it and then find a teleporter and you are able to play Halo 2 in HD.

GhaleonEB

Blueblur1 said:
Oh my God. I put a warning in the title so you guys of all people should have avoided it! I edited it and made it a joke now. I feel bad now. :(
It's not your fault. It was a spoiler, and you said it was a spoiler, and you used spoiler tags correctly. Anyone reading it - like me! - has no one to blame but themselves. I'm kicking myself, not cursing you.

Blueblur1

GhaleonEB said:
It's not your fault. It was a spoiler, and you said it was a spoiler, and you used spoiler tags correctly. Anyone reading it - like me! - has no one to blame but themselves. I'm kicking myself, not cursing you.
Well, there's more to it. I'm really glad I didn't write what I originally was gonna write though. I still feel absolutely terrible. And for the record, Zayne's spoiler isn't a spoiler. It's a joke.

feel

People are too used to seeing the spoiler tags being use to hide jokes, that they highlight them without even thinking about it.

Maybe a good idea would be using red highlights before them so they stick out more, for example, HUGE SPOILER AHEAD!
testing testing testing testing
(<- not really a spoiler, it says "testing testing testing testing", but don't highlight either way)

Top Bottom