• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 3: ODST and Halo: Reach

KevinRo

Thermite said:
2570rnn.jpg

That's so sexy.

The LCD that is... I never really liked Bungie's Blue Pallet thingy for Halo3.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
DAMN! Watching the HD Gameplay footage on youtube right now..... SEXY! I love the nighttime setting of the hub world.

Pre-ordered ODST (and Beatles: RB) yesterday.
They were aware of, but not entirely confident of them getting the Johnson codes... which is stupid considering they're meant to be the British participating retailer (Game).

And that Mythic menu.... :eek:

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
ODST has slowly been creeping up on me. It'll be a good excuse to get into Halo 3's multiplayer again, having not played since a month or two after launch (I loved it, but I rarely, if ever, stick with online shooters for very long) and having not bought any of the downloadable maps.

zumphry

Banned
Sai-kun said:
wtf. you mad? It's cool as shit.

I'm glad that I didn't get to go to Bungie's Studio, I'd be trying to sneak my way into Jason Jones' office(if he has one).

At least I would've asked to just touch the door, though.

tak

Watched the video of the first 30minutes, the animation in the cut-scene is really bad. It looks like a Junior animator did it and they still haven't learned how to be subtle with movements. That type of animation works for a quick moving game, but it is terrible looking for a cut-scene.

Sai-kun

Banned
ZayneH said:
I'm glad that I didn't get to go to Bungie's Studio, I'd be trying to sneak my way into Jason Jones' office(if he has one).

I would've asked to use the executive bathroom. :lol

zumphry

Banned
Sai-kun said:
I would've asked to use the executive bathroom. :lol

Do they still have the elevator to go up stairs to the Motion capture room? I wanna see what Mass Effect(playing that now) would be in real life. :lol

Arnie

Zeouterlimits said:
Pre-ordered ODST (and Beatles: RB) yesterday.
They were aware of, but not entirely confident of them getting the Johnson codes... which is stupid considering they're meant to be the British participating retailer (Game).

And that Mythic menu.... :eek:
Amazon.co.uk have the game for £30 with a Sergeant Johnson code if you are interested.

Arnie

S1kkZ said:
nope, its 50,- now. glad i pre-ordered while it was 30,-
What the hell! When did games become £50 in the UK. £40 is usually the absolute maximum. I understood that MW2 was the exception to that rule but I never realised ODST would jump on the bandwagon.

The Crawf

S1kkZ said:
nope, its 50,- now. glad i pre-ordered while it was 30,-

Wow, Amazon have just shot themselves in the foot for hiking the price up to £50!
Most other online places have it for £30-£35.

Domino Theory said:
Why the fuck did I highlight that? -_-

GhaleonEB said:
I avoided all campaign material at the event, so yeah, Firefight. I did however quote you, forgetting that doing so makes the spoiler visible, and wow you weren't kidding. Fuck. I was doing good so far, too. That seems like one hell of a big spoiler.

:(

SailorDaravon said:
For some reason you saying that made me highlight it too :lol

t4ng0 said:
Well Domino quoting it kinda cemented the fact that I would read it. Damnit. :lol

big ander said:
Yeah, that's how I feel. I'm angry at myself.

Way to go, guys.:lol Sorry you accidentally spoiled it for yourselves. :(

ZayneH said:

Then you'd get chucked out the door by Jerome like Jazzy Jeff on Fresh Prince.

zumphry

Banned
Digital-Hero said:
Then you'd get chucked out the door by Jerome like Jazzy Jeff on Fresh Prince.

:lol More like hammered into the ground.

EDIT: Ugh, sorry Big Ander, I can't stand Multi-team Oddball ARs on Guardian. Maybe sometime later in Big Team, or Social Slayer(or whatever it's called now).

KevinRo said:
That's so sexy.

The LCD that is... I never really liked Bungie's Blue Pallet thingy for Halo3.
The headphone/mic thing was of really good quality, too. Yesterday me and Dual hopped on a Heretic match with two others against a full team of four, and ended up actually tying 50-50 (although we won because we were red team). Our teammates weren't really talking but me and Dual were able to hear each other really well. If they aren't too expensive I might actually buy one but they look like they'd be around $250 or something.

It's a damn shame the headsets in the ODST booth weren't working because we weren't able to communicate with each other which took away from the experience a bit (like getting gang raped by two hunters and not being able to call for help).

1. EazyB's backseats are built for circus midget clowns.

2. What the fuck happened to you Nutter?

3. This is a website I told EazyB and Dual about. I'm posting it here so they can see it when they get back: www.TuckerMax.com

P.S. Heretic is fantastic. It's almost an exact remake. Right after I had played Heretic, dmiller asked me how it was so put my hand on his shoulder and said "You did good, son." Eazy, Cocop, Dual and I will try to play Citadel later today and dong on some kids.

GhaleonEB said:
They played this clip during the panel at PAX. Glad the put the direct feed one up online. IGN seems to be getting a lot of exclusives lately.

Maybe IGN has their review done and were very impressed by it that they wanted to help out?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Just out of curiosity, does this have Co-Op like the other Halo's? I haven't seen any mention of Co-Op in the campaign, only the new firefight mode.

Magni

Self Induced said:
The headphone/mic thing was of really good quality, too. Yesterday me and Dual hopped on a Heretic match with two others against a full team of four, and ended up actually tying 50-50 (although we won because we were red team). Our teammates weren't really talking but me and Dual were able to hear each other really well. If they aren't too expensive I might actually buy one but they look like they'd be around $250 or something.

Astro A40s. They're $250 IIRC (got myself a pair for Christmas last year), and yeah, they rock for gaming. They may not have the best sound quality compared to Sennheisers for example, but for gaming they're excellent.

Oh, and I caved in and signed with an ISP even if I'm a poor student with no cash to spare. Can't afford not to be on Live with Heretic coming in just a few weeks :D

big ander said:
It does not. So if you go in solo: be ready.
GhaleonEB said:
It doesn't that I could tell. The difficulty seems tuned to accomdate different player counts, though. It felt like single player should be 1-2 players for Easy and Normal, 2-3 players for Heroic and Legendary 3-4 players. I had a good run on a map going solo on Normal, Eazy and I lasted a good 40 minutes with the two of us on Heroic. While I didn't try Legendary personally, I heard one of the groups got cocky and tried it, since they did well together on Heroic.

They didn't get past the Chieftains on the first round. :lol

Probably better to make it top out really challenging for all the nutcases out there. Doing Horde solo was pretty boring, but I've always liked the Halo single player much much more.

Nutter

Self Induced said:
2. What the fuck happened to you Nutter?

I forgot my Pax pass at home on friday. So I didnt stick around. I left seattle at 1am and drove back home. :(

I arrived in seattle at around 7:30pm after a flat tire delayed my trip. So i missed the first day anyway. sucks but what can I do. : [

zumphry

Banned
Probably old, but I just now found this on Sandtrap on the Albatross(the thing that was on Relic in Halo 2, and now in Sandtrap):

humanity1flood0.jpg

I've been playing solo Legendary on some Halo 3 levels to see how well I could fair, and I'm doing better than I expected. The
Vidmaster Challenge: Classic
achievement looks impossible to do because of this, but there must be some way.

I plan on going through the Halo 2 levels that deal with New Mombassa a couple of days before ODST. I'm excited.

Dax01 said:
I've been playing solo Legendary on some Halo 3 levels to see how well I could fair, and I'm doing better than I expected.

I got as far as Cortana before bowing out of my solo legendary run. Its do-able, but you might hate life by the time you're done with it.

Good luck.

zumphry

Banned
NullPointer said:
I got as far as Cortana before bowing out of my solo legendary run. Its do-able, but you might hate life by the time you're done with it.

Cortana is the one Legendary level that I personally can just rush through it time after time. That, and the time I went through for the Meta-Game scoring achievements made me actually like how the level was set up story, and setting wise(but it still is the worst Halo 3 level, gameplay wise).

ZayneH said:
Cortana is the one Legendary level that I personally can just rush through it time after time. That, and the time I went through for the Meta-Game scoring achievements made me actually like how the level was set up story, and setting wise(but it still is the worst Halo 3 level, gameplay wise).

I agree with you on the story and setting, and graphically its one of the most impressive levels in the game for me. I just couldn't stand the areas where I'd get pinned down by a dozen wall-hugging pure forms. They weren't invulnerable or anything - but the actual process of slowly taking each one out before moving a few feet forward just bored me to tears.

Compare and contrast with the very first brute pack encounter just before the barracks. Hard as nails to solo on legendary, but when I finally got past it I felt like a virtual god among men - using the environment and every resource in the game to its fullest to achieve victory. I don't think I really grockked the game until that encounter. So sadistic, yet so well done.

zumphry

Banned
NullPointer said:
I agree with you on the story and setting, and graphically its one of the most impressive levels in the game for me. I just couldn't stand the areas where I'd get pinned down by a dozen wall-hugging pure forms. They weren't invulnerable or anything - but the actual process of slowly taking each one out before moving a few feet forward just bored me to tears.

Compare and contrast with the very first brute pack encounter just before the barracks. Hard as nails to solo on legendary, but when I finally got past it I felt like a virtual god among men - using the environment and every resource in the game to its fullest to achieve victory. I don't think I really grockked the game until that encounter. So sadistic, yet so well done.

Ugh, I hate the "Jackal Alley" in Cortana, though by then I usually have a Active Camo(whatever the equipment is called) with me, so I skip most of that part by being invincible.

More on topic:

Whats the general feeling on post launch support for ODST? Is there *any* possibility of new modes or content based DLC in the future?

Personally, I'd love to see an iron man mode, where Firefight is tailored to single player play, or maybe a mode where you can play as the chief, ya know, just to mix things up. Like Ghaleon has said before, this is some of the least configurable content Bungie has ever put out - it's got a lot of potential if more options could be added post release.

Toddler

NullPointer said:
More on topic:

Whats the general feeling on post launch support for ODST? Is there *any* possibility of new modes or content based DLC in the future?

Personally, I'd love to see an iron man mode, where Firefight is tailored to single player play, or maybe a mode where you can play as the chief, ya know, just to mix things up. Like Ghaleon has said before, this is some of the least configurable content Bungie has ever put out - it's got a lot of potential if more options could be added post release.
DLC for the DLC? Bring it
rockrock.gif

Top Bottom