• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare: [R E F L E X] (Wii) Screens

jaydogg691

Dash Kappei said:
LOL I still remember the IGN Wii preview of WAW where Matt wrote "at the beginning, looking the game from 40 feet we tought it was the X360's version running on the TV!" :lol
Fixed

donny2112

Digital-Hero said:
Look on the bright side, at least you got Zelda: TP, EXCITE!, Super Paper Mario, Galaxy, Brawl, Kart, RE4:Wii, Guitar Hero, Virtual Console, Fit, Wii Sports, Resort, Metroid Prime, Fire Emblem, and Monster Hunter 3 to cheer you up.

Fixed that for you, as it seemed a little trollish.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
donny2112 said:
Fixed that for you, as it seemed a little trollish.
oh chill out donny. it was tongue in cheek. you're becoming alot more uptight than you need to be as a Nintendo fan. Wii Music is a really cheerful game :D

donny2112

doomed1 said:
Wii Music is a really cheerful game :D

The question isn't what I think of Wii Music (haven't played it), but what he was implying by using Wii Music as a fallback from MW Wii. As I said, it seemed a little trollish, so I wanted to fix that up some. :)

hellclerk

donny2112 said:
The question isn't what I think of Wii Music (haven't played it), but what he was implying by using Wii Music as a fallback from MW Wii. As I said, it seemed a little trollish, so I wanted to fix that up some. :)
and that perspective is exactly why i think you should loosen up a bit. i read no such implication, only a lighthearted joke upon a lighthearted joke upon an unfortunate reality. if i must explain it, then it really isn't worth understanding. ;)

Jezan

Frencherman said:
They even added a X-Button. :D

WiiRemote ButtonPlus confirmed?

I want to believe the horrible textures are a bug. Everthing looks better in motion
right?

dogmanstaruk said:
This reminds me of the Quantum of Solace wii thread we had last year, but without the funny photoshops.

Finally someone noticed it!

Treyarch reminds me of this picture where a iraqy commander said in front of the press that there is no problem.

doomed1 said:
in case anyone was interested, here's the full quote from the WaW boards. apparently the guy's a senior bug tester who's handle i'm almost CERTAIN i've seen somewhere... (and no, it's not this guy)

another bit i thought was interesting:

anyway, other bits of potentially relevant info from the thread would be that the Ground War game mode isn't going to make it to the final playlists due to lack of players, splitscreen multi is sketchy at best and it looks like the glitching issues may be able to be taken care of server-side.

What makes this statement so hilarious is that if they really did care about the quality, why did they release screens with "bugs" in them? The game's two months away, and they don't dare to show off what the beta version looks like?

Dash Kappei said:
LOL I still remember the IGN Wii preview of WAW where Matt wrote "at the beginning, looking the game from 4 feet we tought it was the X360's version running on the TV!" :lol

Black-and-white TV. Do those even have composite/component inputs?

donny2112

Digital-Hero said:
My comment was simply sarcasm in good fun.

sarcasm n : witty language used to convey insults or scorn

You responded to the dearth of good third-party support on the Wii with an often derided first-party title as something to "cheer" Wii owners up. i.e. It seemed a little trollish. ;)

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
donny2112 said:
You responded to the dearth of good third-party support on the Wii with an often derided first-party title as something to "cheer" Wii owners up. i.e. It seemed a little trollish. ;)

If you can't see the harsh reality about the "efforts" of third parties on Nintendo consoles being weak compared to Nintendo's first party efforts (oh, hey... like EVERY Nintendo console after the SNES) then enjoy the ignore list. At least it's safe to ignore your opinion on anything Nintendo.

donny2112 said:
sarcasm n : witty language used to convey insults or scorn

I responded to "Fits right in with Wii's 3rd party support. :(" with a 1st party game which proves my point. It was a joke. Good day.
261keoy.jpg

donny2112

Digital-Hero said:
I responded to "Fits right in with Wii's 3rd party support. :(" with a 1st party game.

An often derided first-party game which you said should "cheer" up Wii owners. As you chose Wii Music over any of the more generally praised first-party games, it seemed a little trollish.

Edit:
Digital-Hero said:
which proves my point.

I'd be happy to be wrong about your point. I took your point to be a knock against Nintendo's first-party games in order to "fit right in" with the third-party support. If that wasn't your point, would you mind explaining what it was? <- Serious question.

donny2112 said:
An often derided first-party game which you said should "cheer" up Wii owners. As you chose Wii Music over any of the more generally praised first-party games, it seemed a little trollish.

Edit:

I'd be happy to be wrong about your point. I took your point to be a knock against Nintendo's first-party games in order to "fit right in" with the third-party support. If that wasn't your point, would you mind explaining what it was? <- Serious question.

It sincerely was just a joke.

Ignore lists are great aren't they? Put me on it, I'll put you on it. Problem solved. Thanks for your understanding.

donny2112

Digital-Hero said:
Ignore lists are great aren't they?

It is a nice feature of these boards. I really am curious what your point was other than what I wrote, though.

Edit:
Oh, well. It's not that big a deal, anyways.

hellclerk

Cow Mengde said:
What makes this statement so hilarious is that if they really did care about the quality, why did they release screens with "bugs" in them? The game's two months away, and they don't dare to show off what the beta version looks like?
i think it's really more the people who aren't Treyarch are the ones who couldn't give a hoot about the quality, as reflected by the likely budget and time stipulations likely placed on the team.

donny2112 said:
It is a nice feature of these boards. I really am curious what your point was other than what I wrote, though.

Edit:
Oh, well. It's not that big a deal, anyways.
donny, if it has to be explained, then it's not worth it. it was a JOKE, there is no point except to stretch reason and to defy logic. that's why you should just chill about it.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
doomed1 said:
i think it's really more the people who aren't Treyarch are the ones who couldn't give a hoot about the quality, as reflected by the likely budget and time stipulations likely placed on the team.

Essentially, activision just wants to create a cheap quick port for sales. They're not interested in trying to create Call of Duty as a fully supported franchise on the Wii platform. Like it or not, Wii is playing second string in every aspect. They're not even interesting in trying to cultivate a userbase for this type of game on Wii.

doomed1 said:
donny, if it has to be explained, then it's not worth it. it was a JOKE, there is no point except to stretch reason and to defy logic. that's why you should just chill about it.
I can't blame Donny, I thought it was trolling too. :/

Re-reading it, it *still* sounds like it.

hellclerk

vanguardian1 said:
Essentially, activision just wants to create a cheap quick port for sales. They're not interested in trying to create Call of Duty as a fully supported franchise on the Wii platform. Like it or not, Wii is playing second string in every aspect. They're not even interesting in trying to cultivate a userbase for this type of game on Wii.
eh, you never really know who's running what. it could be the marketeers didn't really care much for having to push this game or it was IW kind of feeling slighted by the game being on Wii. in fact, i would put some more weight behind the latter, since these screens DO have to go through IW with the add on that Activision wants to capitalize the MOST on MW2. all things considered, they'll start focusing on expanding the user base on Wii once CoD7 and MW3 come into play. i wouldn't be surprised if they pay up for IW to take on a Wii team for optimal ports of their stuff.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
doomed1 said:
eh, you never really know who's running what. it could be the marketeers didn't really care much for having to push this game or it was IW kind of feeling slighted by the game being on Wii. in fact, i would put some more weight behind the latter, since these screens DO have to go through IW with the add on that Activision wants to capitalize the MOST on MW2. all things considered, they'll start focusing on expanding the user base on Wii once CoD7 and MW3 come into play. i wouldn't be surprised if they pay up for IW to take on a Wii team for optimal ports of their stuff.

What are you trying to do, help the industry?
[/sacrasm]

Seriously though, that would be a complete 110% turnaround for the industry at this point. I can't see it. Hell, I'm more likely to get broadband before 2020 before this happens.
Satellite sucks, but better than 28.8 dial-up!

hellclerk

vanguardian1 said:
What are you trying to do, help the industry?
[/sacrasm]

Seriously though, that would be a complete 110% turnaround for the industry at this point. I can't see it. Hell, I'm more likely to get broadband before 2020 before this happens.
Satellite sucks, but better than 28.8 dial-up!
it's not that big of a deal, just some simple business sense. Treyarch couldn't make a port in concert with Infinity Ward because they're Infinity Ward and Treyarch has other CoD games to make. if Activision were to hire 30 odd engineers and programmers (plus a producer or two) who were savvy with GCN and Wii hardware, they could make Modern Warefare games alongside of IW and thus get Wii versions out with the rest of them. this would allow Activision to piggyback promotion, hype, and night vision goggles to the largest demographic possible without loosing mindshare in an efficient and communacative environment. i mean, Treyarch already does this sort of thing with their CoD games.

overall, it would lower costs, maximize efficiency, serve the most consumers best, and most of all, BE PROFITABLE. if Activision could do this, they could leverage the brand to at least PS3 levels WITHOUT sacrificing significant quality or sales on other platforms. what sells on Wii is Wii's. multi console ownership is still under 10%, i'm certain.

Accident

I'd rather have IW developing a new Map Pack that porting a game for the Wii. I bet it is even more profitable for Activision.

hellclerk

Accident said:
I'd rather have IW developing a new Map Pack that porting a game for the Wii. I bet it is even more profitable for Activision.
that's the thing, this wouldn't prevent IW from doing that, and would open the possibility for all three consoles to get that same map pack, providing MORE profit for Activision.

xbhaskarx

doomed1 said:
that's the thing, this wouldn't prevent IW from doing that, and would open the possibility for all three consoles to get that same map pack, providing MORE profit for Activision.

I genuinely don't know the answer to this even though I have a Wii: Do Wii versions of FPS games get map packs as paid DLC?

MarkusRJR

xbhaskarx said:
I genuinely don't know the answer to this even though I have a Wii: Do Wii versions of FPS games get map packs as paid DLC?
Technically they could... but no developer seems to put effort into DLC.

hellclerk

xbhaskarx said:
they technically could, but no, they don't, which would make EVEN MORE incentive from Activision. first to FPS map pack DLC on Wii = some more interest and longevity of product.

xbhaskarx

There must be something else to it then, because DLC would make them loads of money as it does on 360 and PS3, so why wouldn't they release map packs on Wii also?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
There's nothing really stopping them now. If Guitar Hero and Rock Band can manage online music stores and (kinda) loading DLC songs from the SD card, there's nothing really stopping others from offering similar kinds of DLC. Now that the Wii suppports microSDHCs, users can even have up to anywhere 32GBs of extra storage in their Wiis for (relatively) cheap prices. Shit, you can get a decent 8GB Sandisk for like $10.

However, to my knowledge, SD support can't really be added to legacy games, and similarly, those games that do support SD cards can't have SDHC support patched in. But theoretically, from this point forward, yeah, I'd say that DLC is more than possible.

hellclerk

xbhaskarx said:
There must be something else to it then, because DLC would make them loads of money as it does on 360 and PS3, so why wouldn't they release map packs on Wii also?
i would imagine mostly technical issues and time constraints. in addition to porting the game and its online infastructure, a significantly more troublesome job than Guitar Hero for example, they would have to build and test an in-game storefront for the map pack and other DLC. it doesn't help that they'd be constricted by the Wii's file size limits. honestly, it would take an additional couple of people and TIME. WaW didn't have all of the levels, let alone all the multiplayer options. what makes you think they'll be able to set all that up too? MWii is pretty much a sprint job as well. maybe the next CoD will have it though.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So are we ever getting screenshots that aren't ugly because of a bug? :lol.
Can't wait for the buggy in-game video footage.

rezuth

Easy_D said:
So are we ever getting screenshots that aren't ugly because of a bug? :lol.
Can't wait for the buggy in-game video footage.
I emailed both Treyarch and IW but no reply in three days :(

hellclerk

sorry to bump the thread with a double post, but i was following the thread on the WaW community and noticed it was deleted. it was put up soon after in the off topic part. i may as well post the details amassed by this stuff...

5 vs 5 online

Every single map and mode

No Wii Speak or Motion Plus

Host migration (Match will end of connection is bad or if host leaves, but then all players will be brought back to the lobby and the person with the best connection will be chosen as host.)

Fully customizable controls (Conduit style)

Squad mate mode is back

Every campaign mission

55 Online Ranks (Not 65 like World at War, but requires slightly more to rank up so it balances out)

Golden Guns

Camo Guns

All challenges

Anti-Glitching system (Shonuff of Treyarch says they will "be able to "deal with" glitching.")

No Ground War (Kind of Obvious as the player limit is 5 vs 5)

Shonuff of Treyarch expects that we will get a gameplay video within the next 2 weeks, but not positive on that.

Screenshots that were released are not the final graphics. Those are from a pre-BETA stage of the game, they will be much better when the game is released.

Better friend system

Wii Zapper is supported

Cover Art is the same but just without the "4" in the title

No Kill Cam (Kill Cam would be so glitched and messed up in the Wii version it would be ridiculous)

Improved graphics focusing on explosions and lighting

Game was compared side by side with the 360 version in real time in real conditions and the results were that the connections were THE SAME for each one.

Night Vision Goggles are confirmed to be in the game.

No offline multiplayer

You can tilt nunchuck while sniping to lean back and forth if you turn on this option. my note: this actually refers to leaning while in ADS mode like on the PC version.

Flashbangs

Better knifing hit detection

Some control info from the devs for you:

- All of the actionslot commands (everything that was on the dpad in the xbox version) are now activated with a single "inventory" button. You hold the inventory button, then select which actionslot command you want by using the analog stick. So for nightvision, you would hold the inventory button, then flick the analog stick up. It's actually really quick and easy once you get the hang of it. Obviously we're kind of cramped for buttons on the Wii controllers, and this helped us free up controller space for more frequently used commands. (The inventory button defaults to dpad-left, but you can reassign it.)

- Use/interact, sprint, and lock camera are all on the same button (A by default, you can remap it)

- We're not doing a grenade select thing - too slow. Frag grenade and special grenade each have their own button. You can map either grenade to a gesture if you like, but putting a grenade on a gesture means you can't cook the grenade.

- Compared to world at war, the alpha and bravo presets are switched, and the charlie and delta presets are switched. So the old bravo is the new alpha, and the new default config. This is because having to twist the wiimote to throw a special grenade got some serious hate in the focus tests. So if you got used to playing on alpha in world at war, you'll want to start with the bravo preset.

- The button customizer is pretty flexible (you can assign most commands to gestures, or even to a "twist-button" if you like) so you shouldn't have much trouble finding a button config that works for you.

- You can now rotate your gun left and right by twisting the wiimote. So if you want to hold your uzi "gangsta style" you can do that. You can turn it off if you don't like it.

http://www.callofduty.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=207051&sid=c6d88ca3824fff370a890ef01feb53b8

this will probably get updated as time goes on...

- You can now rotate your gun left and right by twisting the wiimote. So if you want to hold your uzi "gangsta style" you can do that. You can turn it off if you don't like it.

y2kev goty confirmed

hellclerk

Jaded Alyx said:
Pretty crazy really. I remember the original CoD had that feature.
eh, i don't mind. it's a matter of optimization really (Wii Speak still isn't in), and it's a feature that i was never so hot about. sometimes it's a bit comforting to see how you died during run-and-gun maneuvers, but in cases where i'm sniping or something, i hate to give someone a perfect look from where i am. the camera already moves to the direction you get shot from anyway, so more often than not, you'll see something from that direction, if only where the shooter likely is. i hated MoHH2 when it floated around the sniper that killed you during the game. you would have to relocate constantly since every time you sniped someone, they knew exactly where you were. the best you could get was 1 or 2 or sometimes 3 depending on how many enemies were around and how good of a shot you were.

Scrubking

For all the praise that IW gets Kill cam is one of the stupidest features I've ever seen in a game of this type.

"Hey we're going to have realistic Sniper class with full stealth and silencers, but don't kill anyone cause they'll know exactly where you are!"

I'm glad MWii doesn't have it.

Anyway, it's sad the MWii discussion got shut down, and I hope the devs who actually gave a damn and told us something about the game didn't get in trouble. Of course they never should have been put in that position, but we can only thank Activision for all the secrecy over a port of a 2 year old game.

J-Rock

Banned
I hate the damn Kill Cam. So glads it's not in. It ruins stealthy strategic gameplay.

And yeah Scrubking, it sucks that the info thread was deleted. I post there too under the name Wretched-Rock.

hellclerk

J-Rock said:
I hate the damn Kill Cam. So glads it's not in. It ruins stealthy strategic gameplay.

And yeah Scrubking, it sucks that the info thread was deleted. I post there too under the name Wretched-Rock.
i would post there, and even have an account, but kind of didn't even bother when i learned that there was no connecting the Wii accounts to their tracking system. i'd love to see it, but i guess since they weren't willing to adapt a system for the Wii. considering the effort put into the rest of the game, it doesn't surprise me. hopefully for next time...

also, i hope they release the game with the GOTY edition so we can get the extra maps...

Mejilan said:
There's nothing really stopping them now. If Guitar Hero and Rock Band can manage online music stores and (kinda) loading DLC songs from the SD card, there's nothing really stopping others from offering similar kinds of DLC. Now that the Wii suppports microSDHCs, users can even have up to anywhere 32GBs of extra storage in their Wiis for (relatively) cheap prices. Shit, you can get a decent 8GB Sandisk for like $10.

However, to my knowledge, SD support can't really be added to legacy games, and similarly, those games that do support SD cards can't have SDHC support patched in. But theoretically, from this point forward, yeah, I'd say that DLC is more than possible.

They are aware of this.
It's business. If they thought they would have made money from doing it, they would have. Instead, they found out that it isn't worth it or they found out they can make more money if their workers do something else instead.
They tested the waters with rock band/guitar hero and found them cold, too cold to dive back in any time soon.

This game was AWOL at E3, so given that much and how early these screenshots are, is it safe to assume this game is going at a development cycle of less than a year?

scitek

SmallTimeLeon said:
This game was AWOL at E3, so given that much and how early these screenshots are, is it safe to assume this game is going at a development cycle of less than a year?
I'd say given that the same team worked on World at War just a year ago, yes.

Top Bottom