• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fear the Walking Dead - Season One - Sundays on AMC

scosher

I really enjoyed it, but maybe it's cause I saw it after The Strain. Now there's a show that made the collapse of society so absolutely unbelievable that it was comical.

I really enjoyed it, but maybe it's cause I saw it after The Strain. Now there's a show that made the collapse of society so absolutely unbelievable that it was comical.

The Strain hasn't even gotten started yet. If anything it's a couple of burrows in NY that are lost.

Geist-

I liked it so far, I just hope that the societal collapse doesn't automatically mean that the government completely shuts down and 99.99% of people die. I get it, small casts are cheaper, but zombies should mean that society will never be the same and the world is affected fundamentally, not that we're somehow supposed to believe that everyone but our small band are too stupid to deal with slow-moving cannibal corpses.

It's probably too much to hope for, but I'm hoping to see several walled off neighborhoods, a lot of gang warfare, and a severely weakened but not completely collapsed government effort to provide support. I guess you could say I'm hoping they take a cue from World War Z. ;-)

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member

I still really enjoy the Strain though, it's OTT but fun.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
Almost finished with the pilot and still not quite sure what to make of it. There are certain elements I like over the main series. I like the way FTWD is shot in contrast to the main series. There are moments where it just feels more cinematic. I think LA/West Coast will serve as a much needed change of background.

That said, I see that this series continues AMC's long cherished tradition of disposable black males. Bonus for making one of them a drug dealer. Way to go guys. You've learned nothing.

Yeah the mom is the worst not even gonna lie i'm sure she's gonna get a pretty huge awakening soon and change....I hope but for now she is like Lori tier.

Belated impression of the pilot - a bit narmy in the dialogue department, but I liked the slow build. I was really impressed by Nick/Frank Dillane, he ended up being a bit of a scene stealer. Stannis the Mannis' kid delivered.

Also, I can't hate the mom, she's Joanie freakin' Stubbs. Where's my Season 4 of Deadwood, HBO?

I'm so fucking tired of people complaining about TWD being boring. Just leave. Go. Stop watching it stop complaining seriously. It's the most annoying thing I consistently see on the internet jesus.

"Why didn't X character react like I think they should've reacted?!"

"I wouldn't have done that what an idiot"

Ugh please leave.

Edit: To people talking about how 150k people for every day...who cares? Maybe the virus hasn't effected everyone? Maybe the virus is evolving and started out differently? Maybe this? Maybe that? Maybe we should stop trying to act like we know what's going on and just watch the show.

Drifters

So, once the Z's hit, game over right?

I didn't particularly care for the first 30 minutes, but the series has potential.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I'm so fucking tired of people complaining about TWD being boring. Just leave. Go. Stop watching it stop complaining seriously. It's the most annoying thing I consistently see on the internet jesus.

Ugh please leave.

Edit: To people talking about how 150k people for every day...who cares? Maybe the virus hasn't effected everyone? Maybe the virus is evolving and started out differently? Maybe this? Maybe that? Maybe we should stop trying to act like we know what's going on and just watch the show.

People like to nit pick and shit on anything that's popular, it's beyond annoying.

Joni

I like the changed pace, but I wouldn't have mind it being set even a bit earlier in the zombie apocalypse. More stuff happening like the police shooting, less stuff like the hospital being prepared already.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

And now you know why they made the spin-off. Gotta make sure they strike that Walking Dead iron while it's hot before they become irrelevant (hello "Turn: Washington's Spies!")

Exploratory said:
It really is. It doesn't make you a rebel or an idvidual it just makes you sound dumb.

Or maybe we're looking for consistency? You're telling me the mom and step-dad wouldn't notice the gun near the car where the drug addict kid says he shot the drug-dealer? Nor there being blood there when a bullet wound would've caused bleeding and a possible puddle?

Continuity and "logic leaps" that break that suspension of disbelief isn't people "sounding dumb" or "rebellious" it's them pointing out errors that writers and the director should've accounted for (the blood one being a MAJOR problem)

Nameless

The junkie son is already in contention for most annoying person in the history of the Zombie apocalypse -- right up there with Bob, Andrea, and Lori. I pray he meets a similar fate. Dude is Jesse Pinkman without a modicum of charm, humor, or any of those lovable-loser qualities that make you route for the character almost immediately. The sister isn't great, but I don't wish to see her due violently just yet. I'm indifferent towards the Dad, but the Mom is cool, and the only promising character so far.

I'm in, mostly because I enjoy watching the shit hit the societal fan in fiction, but the more I think back on the pilot the less I like it.

PopeReal

The junkie son is already in contention for most annoying person in the history of the Zombie apocalypse -- right up there with Bob, Andrea, and Lori. I pray he meets a similar fate. Dude is Jesse Pinkman without a modicum of charm, humor, or any of those lovable-loser qualities that make you route for the character almost immediately. The Mom is only promising character so far.

I'm in, mostly because I enjoy watching the shit hit the societal fan in fiction, but the more I think back on the pilot the less I like it.

I feel like we watched completely different shows.

And now you know why they made the spin-off. Gotta make sure they strike that Walking Dead iron while it's hot before they become irrelevant (hello "Turn: Washington's Spies!")

Or maybe we're looking for consistency? You're telling me the mom and step-dad wouldn't notice the gun near the car where the drug addict kid says he shot the drug-dealer? Nor there being blood there when a bullet wound would've caused bleeding and a possible puddle?

Continuity and "logic leaps" that break that suspension of disbelief isn't people "sounding dumb" or "rebellious" it's them pointing out errors that writers and the director should've accounted for (the blood one being a MAJOR problem)

I don't think the gun thing was a problem. They didn't seem to be like "he's crazy" they were just consoling him because he was freaking out and potentially murdered someone.

The blood pool is an error but... Why does that bother people so much? Maybe he got up like literally right after the dude left. Remember how quick
Shane
got up? Or maybe it's just a error but it isn't a huge one to wail about.

It's ok to criticize the show. What I have a problem with is people who constantly complain and keep watching or complain that it isn't what they want or what they think should happen. It isn't even constructive criticism.

The junkie son is already in contention for most annoying person in the history of the Zombie apocalypse -- right up there with Bob, Andrea, and Lori. I pray he meets a similar fate. Dude is Jesse Pinkman without a modicum of charm, humor, or any of those lovable-loser qualities that make you route for the character almost immediately. The sister isn't great, but I don't wish to see her due violently just yet. I'm indifferent towards the Dad, but the Mom is cool, and the only promising character so far.

635515967163120478318194316_michaelscott.gif

Did...we watch the same show?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

AMC has never been on the verge of irrelevance though - not since after Mad Men premiered in 2007 anyway.

Amir0x

Banned

When was Turn ever relevant? I watch the show as a guilty pleasure, but it had shit ratings from like three episodes into the series :p

Maybe he's not meant to be a "lovable loser"?

Just because the character's not the way you want doesn't mean the character is bad

Nameless

Maybe he's not meant to be a "lovable loser"?

Just because the character's not the way you want doesn't mean the character is bad

Did I say he was? My point is there was nothing likeable or even particularly interesting about the character. He screamed a lot, cried more, and annoyed more than he entertained. Oh and I guess he showed off his abs for a sec if you're in to that sorta thing.

I'm curious now? What did people find endearing or interesting about Nick in those 90mins?

Yeah, if a pilot gets you that riled you may want to watch something else.

Riled up? Seriously?

PopeReal

Did I say he was? My point is there was nothing likeable or even particularly interesting about the character. He screamed a lot, cried more, and annoyed more than he entertained. Oh and I guess he showed off his abs for a sec if you're in to that sorta thing.

I'm curious now? What did people find endearing or interesting about Nick in those 90mins?

Riled up? Seriously?

Maybe a poor choice of words on my part.

As to the character of Nick, not every addict is loveable or even likeable. Many are not like Jesse Pinkman. When they are in their addiction there is nothing much to like. Nick carries those traits in a real way. He lies about wanting to get clean. He lies to the nurse and bolts on her. Also I felt the character was well acted.

It is certainly a different take than a loveable Jesse, but I feel it is a more realistic one. Certainly the best new character in my opinion. We will see how he gets played out.

Vibranium

Banned
You know, people complain about The Walking Dead, and a lot of the complaints about the cliches/writing are valid, but what the hell, I'm going to keep watching for fun. I actually really like Nick quite a lot. He better have Rick/Carl plot armour.

Jobbs

Banned

Ugh please leave.

Isn't asking why someone did or didn't do something one of the large aspects of discussing a show in a thread? I think I'll not leave.

This has really been more boring than the lamest episode of "The Walking Dead". It's actually quite the achievement how they managed to avoid almost any zombie encounter throughout the whole pilot.

I mean they went to that abandoned church TWICE and not a single zombie there? Really?

More like "Fear the boredom of the Walking Dead". I get that they are trying to show the slow progress from the early outbreak on, but they could have really done that with a little more action in some way. Just show some other characters get eaten or something.

Really flat characters so far, too. The only good and interesting character/actor was the druggie. Not sure I'll manage to tune in for the 2nd episode :-/

Erm, this is a thread discussing the show and people are discussing it, why shouldn't they? Perhaps you should leave the thread if you're tired about reading peoples opinions? ;-)

ZoddGutts

All these people about to drop the show, then shit will get real and they're gonna be like, "C'MON! Really?"

Lel.

I dropped the walking dead 2 seasons back, not interested in going back ever. Did watch the pilot for this ep which was okay, not sure If I'll continue though.

They really get a sense of impending doom and dread right in this episode.

Agreed 100%. The music played a large part there, in my opinion.

Also, people complaining about the characters being annoying should be thankful they aren't remotely as bad as some of the delightful people we had to endure in the original series. At least for now... =[

PopeReal

This has really been more boring than the lamest episode of "The Walking Dead". It's actually quite the achievement how they managed to avoid almost any zombie encounter throughout the whole pilot.

I mean they went to that abandoned church TWICE and not a single zombie there? Really?

More like "Fear the boredom of the Walking Dead". I get that they are trying to show the slow progress from the early outbreak on, but they could have really done that with a little more action in some way. Just show some other characters get eaten or something.

Really flat characters so far, too. The only good and interesting character/actor was the druggie. Not sure I'll manage to tune in for the 2nd episode :-/

Erm, this is a thread discussing the show and people are discussing it, why shouldn't they? Perhaps you should leave the thread if you're tired about reading peoples opinions? ;-)

Don't really get these complaints. The show has been advertised as starting before the outbreak. You aren't going to get a lot of of zombies or action right away.

You can't put something on screen that isn't happening.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Don't really get these complaints. The show has been advertised as starting before the outbreak. You aren't going to get a lot of of zombies or action right away.

If it's not 90 minutes of zombies eating people you'll get complaints like this, it's stupid I know.

Man, so much hyperbole when it comes to TV shows.

I will say one thing, there was no reason for this episode to be an hour and a half long, could have easily been trimmed down to an hour long with all the important bits intact.

What isn't happening? The show started right off with a zombie eating somebody. Then later characters go to the same location TWICE only to find zero zombies. Where have they all gone? Where did I ever say in my post that I was expecting a lot of zombies? But I certainly didn't expect close to zero zombies/action over the course of more than one hour! As I said I understand the premise, but I think they spent way too much time teasing and then not delivering.

If it's not 90 minutes of zombies eating people you'll get complaints like this, it's stupid I know.

Great job exaggerating and calling other people's opinion stupid on a discussion forum.

I will say one thing, there was no reason for this episode to be an hour and a half long, could have easily been trimmed down to an hour long with all the important bits intact.

Exactly. Another possible fix.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Great job exaggerating and calling other people's opinion stupid on a discussion forum.

Calling the show boring because it didn't have hoards of zombies from the get go is a stupid opinion, in my opinion.

What isn't happening? The show started right off with a zombie eating somebody. Then later characters go to the same location TWICE only to find zero zombies. Where have they all gone? Where did I ever say in my post that I was expecting a lot of zombies? But I certainly didn't expect close to zero zombies/action over the course of more than one hour! As I said I understand the premise, but I think they spent way too much time teasing and then not delivering.
Zombies roam all the time and it wasn't a sealed location

I think you went into this with the wrong expecations. Of course they're teasing. The apocalypse is well under way and no one know it yet. But I don't get how anyone can say the episode wasn't delivering anything. If you want hordes and crazy zombie kills and action, from the first episode, this isnt going to be the show for you

What they delivered wasn't zombie action, but the creeping unease of society slowly falling apart. People not announcing calls and texts, the hospital rushing the dead body out because the medical community is aware of the outbreak, the helicopters overhead, the incident on the highway

cacildo

Cracked reacts to Fear the walking dead

Not even close to be laugh out loud funny, but nice. At least not annoying

When they talk about the kid with the knife they made a valid point.... i could only focus on how the dialogue had the Walking Dead brand of bad dialogues

And its funny that the pilot was so bad they even could avoid the "slow" complain and still make valid ones

Zombies roam all the time and it wasn't a sealed location

I think you went into this with the wrong expecations. Of course they're teasing. The apocalypse is well under way and no one know it yet. But I don't get how anyone can say the episode wasn't delivering anything. If you want hordes and crazy zombie kills and action, from the first episode, this isnt going to be the show for you

What they delivered wasn't zombie action, but the creeping unease of society slowly falling apart. People not announcing calls and texts, the hospital rushing the dead body out because the medical community is aware of the outbreak, the helicopters overhead, the incident on the highway

I can basically agree with what you said, but I still think they didn't carry it out in the best possible (or even a good) way. They could have condensed the story more, shown some unrelated characters turn into the first zombies.

I suppose I'll check the second episode to get a fairer judgement.

I do have issue with the setup.

This shit would be all over the nightly news days before the real fall begins, and for some reason they were like, "whats happeneing".

I mean, we're talking five confirmed states that have known stories of zeds, and that's just confirmed. Local news would be all over this with violent citizens assaulting police, it wouldn't take long to connect the dots, I'm thinking two days before we're talking a major international news story. Day Zero would be local news, Day One would be national, Day Two would be a government response.

Top Bottom