• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Youtube Gaming set to launch... TOMORROW !

Big auto-playing spoilerific livestream of the end of Until Dawn right at the top of the page.

Twitch does the same thing, but it plays sound. It startled the hell out of me earlier.

I use a bookmark for Twitch that leads to http://www.twitch.tv/directory/following
At the top it shows me live channels that I follow, and below it are recent videos from channels I follow. It allows me to completely avoid loud LoL and DOTA streams the moment I visit the site.

I'm not sure what URL would be suitable for the YouTube Gaming. I actually like the information on offer from the front page otherwise. Maybe it won't be an issue since it's got no sound, and YT doesn't seem to cripple my connection for others in my house the way Twitch does.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I clicked the top youtube logo to check it out and it immediately loaded and played a stream of Until Dawn during a gorey/spoilery part while it's a game I'm playing right now. The fuck.

forms

I have full 100 mbit upload rate, but my PS4 can't do Youtube Gaming, and the PS4 only does 720p anyhow.

If any of you have tried PS4 via PC/other solution, feel free to share the link and/or tell me how you have solved it.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
One more issue I'd like to have straightened out is the way ads are delivered. Two issues, specifically:

1) Different viewers appear to be served ads of differing lengths.

2) It's impossible for the streamer to know when the ads have ended.

I just completed a stream that I was also watching from a separate computer, just to get a better grasp of exactly what the audience is experiencing. At one point, I was given an 18 minute ad. Thankfully, I was also given the option to skip said ad after a few seconds, but I don't know if this is good enough. It's not an elegant situation for the streamer to deal with. How can you know to cease your break and continue playing if you can't be sure that all the viewers are back from commercial? The skip option is nice and all, but it's not good for an edge case where someone may be showing the stream on an unmanned projector where the skip button can't be reached in a timely fashion.

Is there a way to enforce uniformity in ad length? I think 15 to 30 seconds would be ideal. Differing ad lengths is fine for VODs and all but not for live events.

EDIT: Honestly the fact that not every viewer is given an ad when you send one is a little weird in its own right, too.

Pardon me if this is a 101 level question or the answer is obvious but eluding me, but is there currently a way to parse through your own long length stream VODs and make highlight clips of moments from it all?

You can take any video on your Youtube channel and cut out pieces of it to post as a new video. It's in the video manager.

So....dumb question. I've never actually monetized my YouTube account before. I looked into it today and saw that monetization was disabled on my account and was like "wtf". Well I finally figured out how, but I apparently have not one but three ContentID flags, and one was on a video more than two years old. All three of them were in-game music.

Is there any way I can get it back or am I just screwed?
So were you able to activate monetization on your channel? This post is a little unclear. I've had my channel monetized for over a year and get ContentID matches once in a while, but they don't have any effect on me other than stripping ad revenue from those specific videos.

You can file disputes through the copyright notice section of the video manager. It's kind of a crapshoot depending on who the claimant is, though. If the actual game publisher has laid a claim to your video, it might not be worth the time or effort to fight it, but if it's a mistake (tags a song that isn't actually used in your video; rare but does happen on occasion) or a copyright troll, then you should at least file a counter-claim. There are no repercussions for filing the first counter-claim on a video. If the claimant rejects your dispute, though, you then have to take a gamble on whether or not it's worth taking further legal action.

xJavonta

Banned
Thought I'd check this out, so booted the new site up on my PC.

Big auto-playing spoilerific livestream of the end of Until Dawn right at the top of the page.

Left the site, won't be coming back - sorry :(
Twitch does the same exact thing doing guess you won't be going there either then

jediyoshi

That's not the Twitch homepage. The Twitch homepage has just a much blank space as Youtube Gaming's homepage.

..So? None of them are homepages, wasted space isn't mutually exclusive with a specific section of a site, I'd argue it's more important the deeper you get into a site because your attention span gradually wears out more by then. You don't see the relevance in the difference between a game page listing 24 streams versus 5 when you first land on it? What's the specific definition of real estate are you working with here?

Hylian7

One more issue I'd like to have straightened out is the way ads are delivered. Two issues, specifically:

1) Different viewers appear to be served ads of differing lengths.

2) It's impossible for the streamer to know when the ads have ended.

I just completed a stream that I was also watching from a separate computer, just to get a better grasp of exactly what the audience is experiencing. At one point, I was given an 18 minute ad. Thankfully, I was also given the option to skip said ad after a few seconds, but I don't know if this is good enough. It's not an elegant situation for the streamer to deal with. How can you know to cease your break and continue playing if you can't be sure that all the viewers are back from commercial? The skip option is nice and all, but it's not good for an edge case where someone may be showing the stream on an unmanned projector where the skip button can't be reached in a timely fashion.

Is there a way to enforce uniformity in ad length? I think 15 to 30 seconds would be ideal. Differing ad lengths is fine for VODs and all but not for live events.

You can take any video on your Youtube channel and cut out pieces of it to post as a new video. It's in the video manager.

So were you able to activate monetization on your channel? This post is a little unclear. I've had my channel monetized for over a year and get ContentID matches once in a while, but they don't have any effect on me other than stripping ad revenue from those specific videos.

You can file disputes through the copyright notice section of the video manager. It's kind of a crapshoot depending on who the claimant is, though. If the actual game publisher has laid a claim to your video, it might not be worth the time or effort to fight it, but if it's a mistake (tags a song that isn't actually used in your video; rare but does happen on occasion) or a copyright troll, then you should at least file a counter-claim. There are no repercussions for filing the first counter-claim on a video. If the claimant rejects your dispute, though, you then have to take a gamble on whether or not it's worth taking further legal action.
Basically I started to try to activate it a few years ago, but then I didn't fill out and mail in the form they needed and gave up on it. Now it says I am in good copyright standing, but monetization is disabled and it won't tell me why. After researching it the only thing I see is if you have multiple copyright claims, supposedly your monetization is disabled for 6 months, even if you remove the claimed material. Is this really it? I'm screwed for 6 months?! Who the fuck thought this policy was a good idea?!

JoshHood

Twitch does the same exact thing doing guess you won't be going there either then

I can't say I've ever seen a story-centric game on the front page of Twitch like that - it tends to be more eSports or Hearthstone stuff. I just think a spoiler tag checkbox on streams, so it is not featured somewhere obvious like that, would be nice.

Rektash

As a german I hope this whole thing fails hard. There is a zero percent chance google and gema will find an acceptable compromise. Basically I rather have streams stay on twitch where I can actually watch them without having to use annoying workarounds.

Sixfortyfive

Basically I started to try to activate it a few years ago, but then I didn't fill out and mail in the form they needed and gave up on it. Now it says I am in good copyright standing, but monetization is disabled and it won't tell me why. After researching it the only thing I see is if you have multiple copyright claims, supposedly your monetization is disabled for 6 months, even if you remove the claimed material. Is this really it? I'm screwed for 6 months?! Who the fuck thought this policy was a good idea?!

There is a difference between a "copyright strike" and a "ContentID match." The latter is the automated, more frequently encountered issue, and doesn't carry severe consequences. Usually it just strips your ad revenue for those specific content matches and possibly blocks the video in countries where that content isn't authorized to play.

What do you see when you go here:
Creator Studio > Channel > Status and features > Monetization

Nanashrew

Banned
I can't say I've ever seen a story-centric game on the front page of Twitch like that - it tends to be more eSports or Hearthstone stuff. I just think a spoiler tag checkbox on streams, so it is not featured somewhere obvious like that, would be nice.

Think it has to do with not many playing League or that nearly all viewrship is on Twitch. There are some streaming it right now live but the highest has 250 views. The Until Dawn gameplay was featured cause it had 11k viewers (last I looked anyway this afternoon). Right now Destiny is featured and has 3k viewers.

Valravn

The layout is indeed a cluttered mess. Not only because of the bars at the left or right, but also the layout of a channel (why that huge channel art?) and the video thumbnails.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
They really need to separate gaming videos from their streaming. I keep clicking on things that seem to be streams but are actually just old videos.

EVH

As a german I hope this whole thing fails hard. There is a zero percent chance google and gema will find an acceptable compromise. Basically I rather have streams stay on twitch where I can actually watch them without having to use annoying workarounds.

I guess the one to blame is GEMA. The Nazis of the internet.

roknin

At one point, I was given an 18 minute ad.

Real talk, that crap needs to be changed all over YT in general. For some reason some channels are allowed to have a full freaking video appear as an ad. It is extremely irritating as a viewer, and I'm kind of amazed they're letting that rock on the streaming side, too.

KHlover

Banned

Agreed. The less content moves over to YouTube the better. I hate twitch (thank god for livestreamer), but at least I can watch the videos at all.

pelican

An exceptionally selfish attitude.

Wishing a service to fail due to restrictive laws of your country. As a Brit, I'm not interested in my services being influenced by German laws.

fedexpeon

Banned
How the fuck do we scroll down?!
Fucking mouse wheel only?!
No dragging?
Holy shit...My arm is getting tired.

Welp, awful imo.

Sixfortyfive

Real talk, that crap needs to be changed all over YT in general. For some reason some channels are allowed to have a full freaking video appear as an ad. It is extremely irritating as a viewer, and I'm kind of amazed they're letting that rock on the streaming side, too.

Does the ad length change depending on the video length? I know you can't insert ads into the *middle* of a video (as opposed to the beginning or end) unless the video is a certain length, but I don't know if the length of the ads are also affected.

"Exceptionally selfish?" I don't really see why he should be eager to work against his own self-interest.

lazygecko

Is this only a streaming thing? Or does it do anything to make life easier for content creators when it comes to monetization and such?

roknin

Does the ad length change depending on the video length? I know you can't insert ads into the *middle* of a video (as opposed to the beginning or end) unless the video is a certain length, but I don't know if the length of the ads are also affected.

I don't think so, but I can't fully confirm. I actually hadn't thought about that.

I've been watching a lot of JUstKiddingNews lately and it seems real common to get a 24 min. "webisode " as an ad. JKNews episodes are usually pretty short (6-12 minutes).

I also tend to run into them more when watching a playlist, but it might just be dumb luck lol.

Rektash

Wishing a service to fail due to restrictive laws of your country. As a Brit, I'm not interested in my services being influenced by German laws.

This thing is just as much googles fault as it is silly german laws. Hencewise it is perfectly reasonable to wish for google to fail with this. As far as I am concerned this is a service that negativly impacts my ability to watch live streams on the internet.

Hylian7

There is a difference between a "copyright strike" and a "ContentID match." The latter is the automated, more frequently encountered issue, and doesn't carry severe consequences. Usually it just strips your ad revenue for those specific content matches and possibly blocks the video in countries where that content isn't authorized to play.

What do you see when you go here:
Creator Studio > Channel > Status and features > Monetization
Edit: I was thinking of the wrong place. It says "Monetization is disabled for this account"

gai_shain

Im also from germany and hope that the streamers I watch wont switch over. I would be foolish to hope for people to switch, the only thing that would achieve for me is not being able to watch them anymore.
Regardless of what I hope happens I really doubt big streamers will switch anyway as it is now and lose the third biggest demographic on twitch while switching.

A feature I would like to see is automatically to flag a stream as mature only if they are playing a game rated M so it doesn't show up or auto play without a click through that says there is gong to be violence or language that is inappropriate for a young audience.

I would like to be able to open the site with my son in the room without worrying that there is going to be The Walking Dead playing at the top of the screen.

Also give streamers a way to flag their stream for profanity or clean. Like you can with iTunes podcasts

They're skippable so I don't see what's the issue.

They're skippable so I don't see what's the issue.

For the people that don't sit at the computer and watch twitch and have it on their TV or just have it running in the background, having to get up and bring up a keyboard or press buttons just to continue watching a stream is very annoying.

the feeling I get from youtube gaming so far is they want to be a twitch but don't quite understand what makes it what it is apart from streaming someone's video output.

-Ad's need to be short and sweet, 18 minute adverts is a big no.
-Chat needs to be simple and quick (the avatar loading right now kills performance in fast chats, unable to use IRC bots is a big nono)
-The video window when watching is not pixel perfect 720p unless you resize your browser window, this makes 720p streams look blurry (twitch has a 1280x720 video display size unless you shrink the browser or go full screen / pop out the video)
-Thumbnails on the main page and channel listing are way too big, can't see many at a time.
-Can't scroll the page down without a mousewheel or keyboard, trying to use a mouse just forces the floating menu to open up over the scroll bar.
-Website loading performance is too much for mobile platforms (the iOS and Android app is fine but what about tablet pc's and laptops?)
-Way too many videos of the main page is filled with 4 year old youtube videos from my reccomended list, I thought this was for streaming?

I have yet to try streaming myself because of really not wanting a google+ account which is forced on me if I try to enable streaming in my settings, i'd love to try it at high bitrates but right now i'm just a spectator.

Things I am really happy with are the HTML5 player performance and how everyone can upload at a high bitrate and get auto quality options doing so, I really welcome that.

Rektash

Not available in Germany?

ayyy ok Youtube.

Twitch wins by default until they get that shit cleared up.

How many years have we been waiting exactly? At this point it is safe to assume that both parties are okay with the current stalemate.

Exile20

They should really separate streaming and uploaded videos.

It is confusing and adds so much noise and many more videos than you want. If I go to gaming.youtube.com I want to see streams and vods of those streams only. If I want to see let's plays, review, random gaming videos I would go to youtube.com. Simple.

I thought it was a good ideal at first to have all related videos for a game for you to access but after using it for a bit, it just hinders my viewing of streams. So many unnecessary tabs.

You can actually watch the same steam on gaming.youtube.com and youtube.com. Why?

gaming.youtube.com seems like a wrapper/script for youtube and not it's own service.

Thought I'd check this out, so booted the new site up on my PC.

Left the site, won't be coming back - sorry :(

So you dont go to twitch either cause twitch does the same thing on their landing page.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Im also from germany and hope that the streamers I watch wont switch over. I would be foolish to hope for people to switch, the only thing that would achieve for me is not being able to watch them anymore.
Regardless of what I hope happens I really doubt big streamers will switch anyway as it is now and lose the third biggest demographic on twitch while switching.

I'm assuming Germany can still access the main youtube.com website ? If so, then watch the streamer you like from there like going to a normal Youtube channel. I guess that's the quick and dirty way around things. Also, the latency is lower in general, I find, when viewed from the main Youtube page. The simple design of the main Youtube page also makes site loading quite a bit faster on my computer (a nice new computer but not using Chrome)

I'm assuming Germany can still access the main youtube.com website ? If so, then watch the streamer you like from there like going to a normal Youtube channel. I guess that's the quick and dirty way around things. Also, the latency is lower in general, I find, when viewed from the main Youtube page. The simple design of the main Youtube page also makes site loading quite a bit faster on my computer (a nice new computer but not using Chrome)

I was under the impression that you can watch it on the website just fine, but not mobile, am I wrong about that?

NetMapel

I was under the impression that you can watch it on the website just fine, but not mobile, am I wrong about that?

Oh ? I don't know then, unfortunately. I just wanted to further prove that Youtube Gaming is really just a skin for the main Youtube site.

Here's where all the gaming stream is on the main Youtube site:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLiCvVJzBupKl-k_k0NqPPgxjihPnJiSH1

Exactly the same gaming live stream and all that. It's Youtube's own listing of live stream in the gaming category.

Justified

I agree. Youtube Gaming needs to be its own thing. Right now its too tied to Youtube proper.

I shouldnt have to go to Youtube proper for anything but managing archive videos

derExperte

No, same error message.

Exile20

Oh ? I don't know then, unfortunately. I just wanted to further prove that Youtube Gaming is really just a skin for the main Youtube site.

Here's where all the gaming stream is on the main Youtube site:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLiCvVJzBupKl-k_k0NqPPgxjihPnJiSH1

Exactly the same gaming live stream and all that. It's Youtube's own listing of live stream in the gaming category.

You are exactly right. It is just a skin, such a shame and missed opportunity.

Now I guess i gotta stick to twitch, this sucks. Google needs get thier shit together.

mike4001_

Now I guess i gotta stick to twitch, this sucks. Google needs get thier shit together.

I kind of like the fact, that with gaming.youtube.com I get everything related to gaming.

When you search for a game you can also Filter to only show Live-Feeds.

So I am OK with this design decision.

But the scrolling only with the mouse wheel really is a stupid decision ;-)

NetMapel

Personally, I'm quite fine with Youtube Gaming being an advanced skin for Youtube's gaming category. The filters all make sense and all. I just want the website version to be more streamline, clean, and faster loading on my modern computers. I haven't been able to test out the mobile apps yet because my Canadian stores won't allow me. I've only heard good things about the mobile apps though. The Youtube Gaming dev guy who posts here already said they're working on something for the desktop website so we'll just wait and see. We are only two days into this whole platform anyways. Give it some time for them to work things out.

Top Bottom