• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Hands-on with Uncharted: the Nathan Drake Collection

Shin-Ra

You mean moneyhat them?

Sony don't do that, they only do ethical and friendly partnerships
Ghyllyweed.gif

Keep slaying, Bluepoint. This will be my first time playing Uncharted so I am really looking forward to it!

As far as Bluepoint working on their own project, I do not think they want to. Surely, they could have done something by now given their repertoire. They seem fine with being the best porting team in the world.

And honestly, if they can take the work off the hands of the studio who made the game so that studio can work on something new, I am all for it.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
A nice excellent port job from Blue Point.

Any word on if they kept all the tweaks (next-gen filter, low gravity, etc)?

c0de

Lots of 'locked' frame rate games have small, sporadic drops for various technical reasons. It's not to out of the ordinary.

But it's still not locked. Still an achievement by bluepoint, of course, and lost probably not noticeable by most. Still, drop is drop.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I'm very anal when it comes to performance as I'm a PC gamer and used to 60fps without dips and even I can't complain about this remaster, it looks like we'll see 60fps nearly all the time, with rare dips to the low 50s which I do hope they fix as I will notice that while playing. The analyse was done without the day one patch though so it could already be fixed. Overall Bluepoint have gone above and beyond a simple remaster and I can't wait to play it.

BokehKing

Banned
Sweet, now we just need Killzone 2 remastered 1080p/60fps with dedicated servers and server lists for multiplayer....drools.... Come on Sony!!! Do it!!!
That would be a complete waste unless they solved that moving through mud feeling that game had. The input lag was horrendous as well.

Conduit

Banned
That would be a complete waste unless they solved that moving through mud feeling that game had. The input lag was horrendous as well.

That was the beauty of Killzone 2. Especially in MP.

stay low, move fast, shoot first, die last, one shot, one kill, no luck,pure skill.

Shredderi

Sweet, now we just need Killzone 2 remastered 1080p/60fps with dedicated servers and server lists for multiplayer....drools.... Come on Sony!!! Do it!!!

That would be so sweet. Killzone 2 looked so fucking good. Still does. The art direction lended itself very well to the overall visuals. That game had a fucking war feeling to it. Such a good atmosphere and such a good game. If there is no new killzone game on the horizon it's propably not gonna happen though. I bought shadowfall for 10e and got my money's worth out of it, but the game just didn't compare to the greatness of Killzone 2. I really wanted that look, feeling and atmosphere on PS4! Killzone 2.... What a game. *snaps out of it*

But yeah, as always, Bluepoint seems to deliver. They really know their shit it seems. I wonder what they have that makes them so good at this remastering and porting business? Talent? Budgets? Anyway I'm happy that Drake's Fortune looks much sharper this time around, although it was the game that wowed me with it's next gen graphics and animations at the time of it's release.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Going to play it and get a ND interview tuesday, can't wait to get my hands on it. Seems like an allround great remaster.

jaypah

I constantly told myself that I wasn't buying this. It felt like I was lying to myself every time too lol. I'll be picking this up.

Vinland

Banned
Fantastic news. I can retire my ps3 black labels now. Man that remaster team is such a great group of folks. I wish they would do a mass effect trilogy remaster ps4, xbone.

JP

I'm hoping that one of the things the patch addresses is the lack of the headshot reticule in Drake's Fortune that the later games and The Last of Us had. It's not a major thing but it is something that appears to be missing from the first game in this collection.

01_12.png

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
I remember being very impressed with the visuals of UC1 but it's clear too see how much better UC2/3 look.

Suspect motion blur will probably be as subtle as Last of us.

UC1 cut scene lip syncing isn't as good as the original from what l noticed previously.

Going to be busy playing this and catching up on MGS5.

StoveOven

Banned
Screw Killzone. Just give me inFAMOUS 1 and 2 on PS4.

But on topic, I can't wait to play through these games on PS4, and I already replayed them earlier this year. The work that has gone into this makes me really excited to pick up a collection that I really wasn't considering when it was announced. Good work Bluepoint

bombshell

Did the bitrate suffer?

From the DF article.

We also wanted to address the big cut-scene question. Prior to release, we wondered whether cut-scenes would remain pre-rendered or if Bluepoint would adopt an engine-driven presentation. Opting for a real-time approach would have been highly challenging but we were also uncertain how so much 1080p60 video could be stored on a single Blu-ray disc. Well, in the end, these elements are pre-rendered videos after all, and Bluepoint did indeed manage to cram all three games' worth of FMV content onto one disc. Considering that the original PS3 games all shipped on their own Blu-ray discs, this seems like quite a feat. Of course, compression algorithms today are more advanced and able to produce better quality with less space, but it's still surprising that so much game and video data has been compressed into a mere 50GB. Compression artefacts remain visible but the video quality is still much higher than that of the original PS3 games - the comparison with the original Uncharted in particular is particularly stark.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
TLOU barely fit on a 50GB bluray with the 1080/60 cutscenes. This has, let's guesstimate 3 hours of total cutscenes plus all the game content at 45GB total. Hopefully the videos are blocky messes.

Top Bottom