• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Hands-on with Uncharted: the Nathan Drake Collection

Bluepoint injected the game with that special sauce!
VWkbqR1.gif

Hugstable

Banned
Nice job! Go Bluepoint or go home, it looks like.

I thought Hexadrive was decent since they actually got ZOE2 back to lovely 60fps, and Rez HD and Okami HD were both really well done. But I still have no clue what went wrong with FF Type-O HD, the camera and the motion blur was just too much for me and it became the first case of a game that I just couldn't play because it made me feel nauseous

noobie

Banned
Bluepoint injected the game with that special sauce!
VWkbqR1.gif
Really interested in knowing their secret sauce. Do they use same engine or port everything in super intelligent alien engine or recode everything? But that is mighty impressive achievement. They are iron mans of remastering

MasterKelli

Neo Member
Seems like a very good port from Bluepoint. It's amazing how they can fit all the 3 remastered Uncharted games in a single disc. Will definitely buy this just to feel the 60 fps awesomeness.

JP

Who knows!

I still have no idea how they put three Uncharted games in 45gbs, plus 1080p60fps prerendered cutscenes
Although I don't think Naughty Dog has confirmed it yet it seems that a part of it is due to optimising assets across the three games. You don't need three separate models for jeeps across the three games as happened originally when the models were improved with each game, you use the model from the final game and and use different textures to make them look different.

The same goes for characters across the games, instead of there separate models for Drake's face across the three games, you reuse one that can be shared.

I've oversimplified it horrible as it's quite a bit more complex than that but things can be certainly be shared across all there games.

Tagyhag

Bluepoint should just do all the remasters.

Is the performance really much better than TLOU Remastered though? Aside from one scene isn't the game pretty much locked at 60 as well?

Shin-Ra

At least according to DF, we might be seeing at 16x.
Drake's Fortune looks well below 16x on ground textures, U2 and U3 look much clearer in the Gamersyde gameplay. AF can be set per texture instead of globally though so it's hard to be accurate without testing every surface.

I wonder if they'll continue to be the go-to for ports?

Personally I'd love to see them turn their obvious technical skill towards a new IP.

DieH@rd

Banned
Bluepoint should just do all the remasters.

Is the performance really much better than TLOU Remastered though? Aside from one scene isn't the game pretty much locked at 60 as well?

Performance in TLOUR is great, I did not notice framedrops while playing it.

I played this today at EGX and as smooth as Bluepoint have been able to make the game run it's aged poorly. They smartly revisited Uncharted 2, Chapter 5 which is the very same demo I played back in 2009 at Gamescom. I don't remember my initial GOTY feeling like this, with poor aiming mechanics (outdated) and poor character models/geometry. The frame rate is probably the best part about this but underlines the simplistic nature of the aforementioned models in motion. Everything is so fluid that you notice the flaws and flat textures that much more. The jeep in particular in like comparing the simple build of models in Return to Castle Wolfenstein at the start of the 00's with last years Wolfie. The differences in what's changed over the past five years in ND/console development is that much more pronounced though, and when we get to see more of Uncharted 4 I'm pretty darned sure that's going to be the case like Wolfenstein.

Circling back to the controls. It's been a long time since I played an Uncharted game, I think 2012 might have been the last time - maybe 2013 but it was a replay of the first Uncharted because I loved the character beats in that game. Also, the game is something that sold me on the second one as gunplay felt fresh, exciting and rewarding but God did it always feel this loose? It feels like it's now harder to aim, and there's also a bit of retraining to use the DS4 over the ds3 so maybe they'll let you adjust aiming in the final game. I pulled off very few head shots today, so when I remember the feeling of risk/reward being something that I'd cherish in the original I felt more than a little embarrassed when the dude handling the kiosk asked me if I needed help.

Dude, I know how to play Uncharted but since then games like The Phantom Pain, or even The Last of Us do aiming and gunplay so much better.

One last thing. Textures. They suck, and I expected so much more, but I guess Bluepoint could only do so much to improve what's already there, rather than completely change the look of the game.

The demo ended with
Chloe arriving
and then just cut out back to the menu. I'd much have preferred to see a whole chapter, but it's easier if they remove the big bad from the equation and protect new players from the story.

Minor beef:
In remembering what I remember uncharted looking like I kinda preferred not being able to make out specific details which I feel are too crisp now and grab my attention in unnecessary, uninspired and dare I say, egotistical ways. As I said these small things to me which might not seem a great deal to you, like seeing NDi on the holster buckle on Drakes back in crisp text. Noticing that the truck has the number plate ND (and as always grenades have the same designation ND1). It makes me feel like maybe Naughty Dog should hold off on having NDi everywhere in the game, because it's not useful to world building and when I get to using ice-picks and playing Avatar later in the game I'm wondering what other braNDing I'm going to see. I hope it's minimal, but I'll always be noticing those elements now.

I don't think I'll get the Uncharted Collection at launch, maybe for the holidays when someone insists on getting me a gift and I have no ideas. I do think that some people are not going to be as convinced as they are right now with how they expect it to look. It's one of those things that I just assumed would be a no brainier but as it stands with about 20 mins the above isn't giving me hope for the full release. I could probably have asked to record some footage with my portable cap device and analysed the data like DF, but I prefer to see with my eyes and not data points like frame rate monitors and pixel counting.

Based upon my experiences and changing perceptions of games over the years this remaster ain't up to the ND seal of quality, and that's fine. We've got Uncharted 4 coming and that's going to be aces.

Amir0x

Banned
Man Bluepoint is really good at this. I don't really have a desire to play Uncharted games again (I really only think 2 is decent), but boy do they know how to make these things shine.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Drake's Fortune looks well below 16x on ground textures, U2 and U3 look much clearer in the Gamersyde gameplay. AF can be set per texture instead of globally though so it's hard to be accurate without testing every surface.
Yeah, I think it's selective.

It's weird how everything we've seen, heard and read contradicts your post. Perhaps the patch will make a difference providing people have amazing fibre broadband ... ;)
I don't know what to say apart from I played it today and a bunch of other things and this was the second most disappointing game I played.

The main one was MN9. Uhhhhhggggg

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I don't know what to say apart from I played it today and a bunch of other things and this was the second most disappointing game I played.

The main one was MN9. Uhhhhhggggg
I could not possibly disagree with you more but, hey, opinions. The controls are much improved and most assets were remade or improved. Some parts looks a bit dated but, overall, I think it holds up great.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I wonder if they'll continue to be the go-to for ports?

Personally I'd love to see them turn their obvious technical skill towards a new IP.

Given the work they do, I'd guess that their team is smaller and compromised of engineers with next to no gameplay designers, artists, musicians, writers, etc. Don't think that making new games is on their roadmap.

mdzapeer

THIS is how it should be done. Option to disable motion blur, 1080p60. I dont mind playing on a console if this is the standard!

PC of course has more than 60 and 4k, but for a console its not bad.

dealer-

It's weird how everything we've seen, heard and read contradicts your post. Or is it because of the 'mythic treatment' ND get? Perhaps the patch will make a difference providing people have amazing fibre broadband ... ;)

Well on a gameplay level, it will be a shock for some going from Destiny, TLOU, MGS5 back to Uncharted. The gunplay was never that great and aiming always felt a bit off and not entirely fluid.

Top Bottom