• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rom Hacks that Improve the Experience (not level edits)

My dream rom hack would be of Pokemon Blue in color and with things sped up (like animations, running, etc). That's it. I know there's frame skip, but I want to preserve the music.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
While not exactly a romhack, it is an executable modification performed through reverse engineering so if Metroid LUA enhancement qualifies, this should too.

Heroes of Might & Magic III HD Mod
Unlike Ubisoft's "HD Edition" of yesteryear which had a bunch of Chinese interns redraw over the sprites with disastrous results, it's is a UI mod for 3.0+ versions of the game (in other words, GoG copy will do) that lets you run the game at arbitrary resolutions without actually mutilating the game's artwork. It also includes numerous UI improvements and gameplay bugfixes, whereas DotEmu's recreation used the oldest possible release version instead and all it has to offer over the mod is a modern online capability that nobody uses anyway.

HD yo.

Piers

Whoa, seriously? Did Nintendo actually make those games brighter to compensate for the OG GBA's dark screen? Man, they knew it was bad. Were the SMB3 and Yoshi's Island ports like that too?

The original GBA's lack of backlight was bad, not so much the compensating palette.

Save states

LiK
Not random at all.

Hmmmm

Just took this for a spin. Pretty great. People should check out the 96-98 Anniversary Hacks by EGHT. The '98 version is Ultimate Match if it existed on NeoGeo.

At some point somebody replaced the "sweat" with blood but from understanding how that version works is somebody would have to go to a lot of trouble to bring that experience to you.

Speaking of MK be sure to check out the MK2 Boss Hack for SNES, MK2 Unlimited, UMK Trilogy & MK Revelations for Genesis.

For Simon's Quest make sure to check the creator's website for the most updated version of it and little extra stuff you can choose add to the patch to further customize the experience.

The author of this hack is refining this one with a bunch of bells and whistles and a hack for Zero in X2 is being worked on by him as well.

Mega Man X3 - Zero Project Vers. 3.0 (In Progress)

Mega Man X2 - Zero Base Mod (2015-2016 WIP)

You can check out the latest updates for both hacks at their respective links.

A wonderful Link's Awakening patch that gives the mermaid her top back and a hippo her boobs if that's what you're into and what not.

Hey that's pretty awesome! X2 is my favorite X game (at least of the SNES trilogy. Wish I had more free time, but I will check it out!

By the way, do you have more info on those KoF Anniversary games? I always thought they were JUST bootlegs, but after the other post going in great detail how 99 works, I'm just very curious about the others.

Travesty that FFVI Brave New World hasn't been posted yet. Complete overhaul of the broken stats system and magic system as well as a reworking of mob encounters and AI. Makes it a much better balanced and interesting game combat-wise, actually requiring you to manage buffs beyond the standard shell/reflect combo and think about equipment choices for stats rather than a straight linear progression and basic elemental affinities.

Played that when it was still on version 1.5 or so and yeah that was already impressive.
FFVII New Threat can be found on the same forum and does something similar with FFVII, but also adds significant amounts of new content.

heyf00L

This is subjective but the Super Mario World: Super Mario Advance 2 Color Restoration patch reverts the game back to it's SNES look.

Before:After
q8XZQQf.png
tuBaR9u.png

I assumed it was brightened because at that time the GBA had no light. A lot of games had very bright pallets for this reason.

Here's one from a forum I used to frequently visit (I should head back there), an Advance Wars 2 Balance Hack. Changes the COs and units in a way that keeps the spirit of them intact but also makes them much more even for competitive play. Sturm, Colin and Hachi aren't broken, Flak is less useless. It's been tried and tested by the top players on the forum and I'd say it's pretty good. Can't speak for how it would work in campaign mode, but it's sound for competitive play. There's a bunch more AW mods on that site, but I'd say that's the most important one.

Psxphile

Searching Simon's Quest only brought up my post and yours, and as I went on that, there were no results besides those. :p

I have seen also nothing on Dracula's Curse in the thread, either.
Hm.

cr.jpg

Castlevania II: Redaction. Exactly the same game. No difficulty changes or new areas and visuals. Just speeds up the day/night transition text, speeds up text in general, fixes missing text & incomprehensible/misleading translations.

Bisquit's Castlevania - simon's revenge hack make it a much, much better game. Maps & switching & better translation and much more.

There's a hack/translation for the Japanese version of Castlevania III on the Famicom, using a more literal translation of the Japanese script so you can have both the fantastic soundtrack and an english version at the same time. http://www.romhacking.net/translations/730/

And there there's the relocalized add-on to that patch that changes that translation's script to their changed names like the Japanese Ralph Belmondo to Trevor Belmont, along with fixing a lot of bugs and redoing the title screen. http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1983/
I'll give you that you're the first to actually link Bisqwit's hack in the thread. That seems to be happening a lot in this thread.

Toth

I do wish someone would fix the awful text translation and font of Terranigma. It rally ruined a lot of the charm of the game for me :(

Super Mario All-Stars Brick Fix, a really simple hack that fixes brick-hitting behaviour in SMB and Lost Levels.
The only thing to make this even better is if they replace all the SMW SFX with the original NES sounds, and you'll have the definitive version.

As for the Yoshi Island hack, I wish they would have kept the updated Yoshi colors that were used to match the artwork and changed everything else to the SNES color palette.

By the way, do you have more info on those KoF Anniversary games? I always thought they were JUST bootlegs, but after the other post going in great detail how 99 works, I'm just very curious about the others.

The 96-98 Anniverary Edition hacks function like the 99 version. New moves from other games in and outside the series, some rebalancing, EX Characters and the like.

Like I said though, '98 is the standout because of how much it adds. The whole cast of UM's in it and it also has added extra features to Advanced & Extra and added a 3rd called Special Mode.

When you activate MAX in Advanced and Extra Mode you get access to 2002's MAX Mode & 2000's Armor Mode.

Special is a beast all its own because in it you can roll & Super Cancel and its MAX activation is Counter Mode from KoF 2000.

Just all around fun stuff and a great way to experience those games in a new way.

Wii homebrew ftw

1) Playing old gamecube favorites (like Timesplitters 2 & 3, Nightfire) with wiimote IR controls via nintendont
2) Ditto for N64 fps like GoldenEye, Perfect Dark, 007 TWINE via Not64
3) Waggle removal from DKC Returns and assignment of rolling to B trigger, via wiierd codes.
4) Also via wiierd codes, LoZ Twilight Princess Wii edition: removal of "bloom" lighting and best of all, mirroring removal which makes the game that much better, coming from the GC version.

And those are only a few quick examples

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Wii homebrew ftw

1) Playing old gamecube favorites (like Timesplitters 2 & 3, Nightfire) with wiimote IR controls via nintendont
2) Ditto for N64 fps like GoldenEye, Perfect Dark, 007 TWINE via Not64
3) Waggle removal from DKC Returns and assignment of rolling to B trigger, via wiierd codes.
4) Also via wiierd codes, LoZ Twilight Princess Wii edition: removal of "bloom" lighting and best of all, mirroring removal which makes the game that much better, coming from the GC version.

And those are only a few quick examples

Can you also play it with GCN controls tho? I mean removing waggle. On an actual Wii, not Dolphin.

Btw, ocarina codes to fix Fii's annoying as shit notifications made TLOZ:SS going from horrible to enjoyable to me.

cireza

Super Mario All-Stars Brick Fix, a really simple hack that fixes brick-hitting behaviour in SMB and Lost Levels.
This is a great hack. I only play this version of the game now.

There is a Contra Hard Cops hack that restores the life points. I highly recommend this hack and this game overall.

I also know of a Mortal Kombat 2 hack for Genesis with a lot of secret characters and gameplay updates.

There is also a JAGDoom version of Doom on 32X with the missing levels.

A simple RAM hack for Japanese Metroid Fusion that makes it play in English (the Japanese version has easy and hard difficulty settings not seen in the US and European versions as well as additional ending graphics). Change the value found at 0x03000014 to 02.

Also going with the SMA2 palette fix is the voice removal one...you could say it is "just what I needed".

The one that modified Sonic Genesis GBA into a playable game is the most impressive one to me.
I'm not aware of that existing. What does exist is a homebrew proof of concept port of Green Hill Zone:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFwxF-7vSrQ

Someone removed the voices for Mario and Luigi for Super Mario Bros 3 GBA (hopefully Mario 2 follows soon):

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2566/

Thank goodness that it's also the European version of the game also, because there is a save file somewhere that has all of the e-reader levels from both U.S. and Japanese levels unlocked and translated.

OmegaDL50

A patch for the Neo-Geo version of Metal Slug 2, infamous for its slowdowns :

Metal Slug 2 - reducing the slowdown

I am not sure if this actually an improvement and seems more like a personal preference thing.

Some Run and Gun and Shoot'Em Ups have intentional slowdown by design.

Like Cave STGs such as Dodonpachi or Mushihimesama, or even stuff like Radiant Silvergun or Ikagura, when there is large amount of enemies and bullets on screen.

It's not so much hardware not being able to keep up but a means to make the game playable to react quick enough for all of the things happening all at once. Case in point Raiden Legacy when it first came out removed all instances of slowdown which made certain parts of the game impossible to play.

The intentional slowdown that caused enemy bullets to move a specific speed went far to fast for the player to dodge because this slowdown only effected the bullets and not the speed of the player's ship, in short the bullets were faster then ship movement speed to make dodging not possible. This effectively made the game not Arcade Perfect because these intended slowdowns were put in place to make the game more challenging but still remain fair.

DotEmu not realizing this assumed these slowdowns were flaws in the game code and removed them and with this effectively making the game unplayable.

Of course this type of example might not apply in the case for Metal Slug 2.

ksdixon

I love 'Ultimate Mortal Kombat Trilogy'. Every version of every fighter from MK1,2,3,Trilogy.

I wish there was something like this for Street Fighter (although i guess this might be harder, given the differences in visual styles).

ksdixon

I wish more games/hacks would take the "Streets Of Rage Remix" approach of just being a giant mega-mix of options.

Like I'd play through a Golden Axe MegaMix game, even if it was somewhat limited and I had to choose a GA1, GA2 or GA3 path at the start and couldn't cross-over, if it would allow me to experiment by using GA3 characters in GA1 levels. Of course a game which mixed up enemies from all games like SORR did would be awesome.

I kind of want that for Shinobi too. For example: Do I want to be Revenge, Shadow Dancer or Shinobi3 version of the ninja, and attack enemies from all the games mixed-together.

Meesh

Just wanted to plug "OCD Reproductions" again for their great work. I bought FF6 Eternal Crystals and the newest worthwhile hack FF6 Return of the Dark Sorcerer.

Great work by those guys, and truly two of the best FF6 hacks around.

Eila

Someone removed the voices for Mario and Luigi for Super Mario Bros 3 GBA (hopefully Mario 2 follows soon):

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2566/

Thank goodness that it's also the European version of the game also, because there is a save file somewhere that has all of the e-reader levels from both U.S. and Japanese levels unlocked and translated.

Is that guy from here? BIt of a coincidence that the thread gets revived and soon enough someone pops out these two Romhacks.
Well, if you get around playing Super Mario Advance 2 you should probably also use this one as well:
Super Mario World Color Restoration

Probably been mentioned but I'll note it anyway: Sonic Megamix. Technically it has now evolved beyond a rom hack in to an entirely new game but it's basically the greatest rom hack in existence. It turns Sonic 1 in to a beautiful, fast paced adrenaline rush of a game with masterful level design, control enhancements and Sonic Team Genesis-era quality art. The music is pretty amazing too. I'd be hesitant to call it a straight rom hack just because even though it is one by origin it just doesn't do the game justice to call it one; it's that unbelievably good.

The creator (Stealth) recently started working on it again. He has updates posted on his Patreon for those interested here.

Here's a recentish video of one of the newer zones if you want to see it in action.
So... anyone know if this runs on portable hardware? I've recently been into the homebrew game, I'd love to be a able to play this version of Sonic 1 on my 3DS. Same goes for the Sonic 3 & Knuckles complete. Would the 3DS be able to run this?

I got Extra Mario Bros.! It's really weird, but a good game. It combines the fast-paced, twitch run n' jump gameplay of Mario but loaded with secrets like Metroid. Recommended for fans of both, I love it!

Psxphile

Faxanadu Restoration - The ultimate version of Faxanadu. Retains the original graphics/features (religious imagery, name registration) that were censored/removed in western localizations, fixes a myriad of bugs including the moronic "Pendant" bug, the ability to speed up text, inserts the western script w/ some minor edits, European font and introduces proper SRAM saving and loading (no more passwords!).

impact

Banned
I dunno if it's a rom hack necessarily but the speed up the game button in FF12 International is a life saver. Makes the pointless trash mob battles and running through towns SOOOOO much better.

lazygecko

Not sure how in bounds this Metroid hack is but it does use the NES rom as a base, adds in a map system, sprites based on the GBA games and some other tweaks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af0No8xQV6M

That's some real nice sprite work. Samus was 2 different sprite layers from the start, right? That's typically how you go about getting more colors for the same object on the NES, like they do in Battletoads.

Makes me wonder what a late era NES sequel to Metroid could have looked like. Japanese devs were really tapping into the whole dark noir look for their games back then, with a lot of heavily black shading to achieve very detailed visuals, and that would have been a perfect fit for Metroid.

shatterhand_rev04snqj6.png
104862-shatterhand-neijoai.png

Rich!

Or a mod that removes random annoying crap like the constant bombardment of text and items like the acorn and triforce of power!

That actually exists, along with a replacement font that's easier to read (the typeface from the oracle games).

I used to have it on my Everdrive GB, I may still have the patch somewhere - it was on romhacking.net for sure though

That actually exists, along with a replacement font that's easier to read (the typeface from the oracle games).

I used to have it on my Everdrive GB, I may still have the patch somewhere - it was on romhacking.net for sure though

I'd be very interesting in getting that down the line? Not anytime soon though, I'm on the last dungeon for Link's Awakening for the second or third time and don't intend on starting over anytime soon haha. That's great to know for the future though!

I am not sure if this actually an improvement and seems more like a personal preference thing.

Some Run and Gun and Shoot'Em Ups have intentional slowdown by design.

I know where you're coming from and you're absolutely right that a lot of games are designed around slowdown like that - but Metal Slug 2 is nearly unplayable because of its crippling slowdown. It's the reason Metal Slug X (a revision of MS2) exists.

Top Bottom