• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Forward Operating Base (FOB)

KainXVIII

They also changed the requirements for building a nuke. You need the same amount of resources but they have to be online resources now. So if you have 75k fuel but only 20k is online then you have to find a way to get more online fuel.
But online resources can be easily stolen =( And i have so little of it..

Mosquito FOB is great training, managed to perfect stealth my way.
yeah it's a cool little theme to it too, I like that it's Mosquito's PF with a unique logo rather than just something nameless and random

maybe if we beat all 7 platforms, we'll unlock his logo at the end of the event

I sort of am biased though I think because I use Mosquito all the time and I replayed Mission 22 a bunch of times until I was able to finally to a total stealth/non-lethal playthrough

backlot

But online resources can be easily stolen =( And i have so little of it..

Unprocessed materials can be stolen. I don't think processed online materials (which is what you need to build nukes) can be stolen from FOBs but this is all new so I can't say for certain.

I mean this, i clearly has all resources, but no, you need online (? with globe icon) one.

I decided to grind resources today to start building a Nuke and saw this. Man this is some serious bullshit. How does one get more processed resources online?

I just want to plat the game and properly start MGO, why you add more annoyances Konami. :'(

So i just go to offline mode and start developing nuke with normal resources (then go online), what a joke.

Will that work for sure? I just might have to do that.

Edit: Yeah disconnecting makes it require offline resources, fantastic.

Not just alerts but Fultoning anything, killing guards, or destroying security equipment will also supposedly alert defenders. It won't be easy.

damn wish you hadn't said that, I was tense enough playing last night, now I know the guy could've come to defend! o_O

Holy shit ghosting a 4/4 strut is the absolute craziest thing ever, I was able to roll through the first one, got stuck for a bit on the 2nd, breezed through the third, only to absolutely shit myself but make it through the 4th, I wish my 560 had shadowplay, shit was tense AF

eHEUJqu.jpg

I got lucky and had earlier pulled the guy on the upper level down to the stairs over on the right, but holy crap I was sweating bullets climbing that ladder and jumping across to the goal

So is there a limit to how often you can get invaded while inactive? Or is everyone who comes back after a month or two going to find an empty mother base and his GMP deep in the red because of defense costs?

Hypron

Not sure if they actually changed offline Dispatch missions. I know they added some online ones.

They also changed the requirements for building a nuke. You need the same amount of resources but they have to be online resources now. So if you have 75k fuel but only 20k is online then you have to find a way to get more online fuel.

Damn I dodged a bullet there. I developed the nuke 2 or 3 days before the update.

Par Score

So is there a limit to how often you can get invaded while inactive? Or is everyone who comes back after a month or two going to find an empty mother base and his GMP deep in the red because of defense costs?

Unless you go on a monster invading spree yourself, the chances of actually getting invaded seem pretty minimal.

Since the game came out I've invaded 5 people (for that event they held with extra prizes) and been invaded twice in return (both of whom nabbed some fuel, but not much else).

It's really not a big deal, unless you open yourself up for it to become a big deal.

Unless you go on a monster invading spree yourself, the chances of actually getting invaded seem pretty minimal.

Since the game came out I've invaded 5 people (for that event they held with extra prizes) and been invaded twice in return (both of whom nabbed some fuel, but not much else).

It's really not a big deal, unless you open yourself up for it to become a big deal.

Well then lets extend those 1-2 months to 6 months.
I do actively invade people but I also get invaded back pretty much once a day.

Over time people will invade you unless there is some kind of limit if you're inactive long enough. Just curious if anybody knew but I gues snot since Konami doesn't explain shit

Lanrutcon

Not sure where FOBs are going. People will migrate to MGO and the FOB scene will die. The insurance shit and moving resources to online, plus the escalating requirements for development is just pushing people to cheating.

Not sure where FOBs are going. People will migrate to MGO and the FOB scene will die. The insurance shit and moving resources to online, plus the escalating requirements for development is just pushing people to cheating.

It pushed me away from the game completely. I only have some objectives and S ranks left but I won't bother if Konami intends to make the game worse with every patch

Facism

who knows? I came back after 2 weeks and was 1.5 million in the red :3

I just removed all my staff and am spending 0 on readiness, now. Can't be assed with this crooked mode.

who knows? I came back after 2 weeks and was 1.5 million in the red :3

I just removed all my staff and am spending 0 on readiness, now. Can't be assed with this crooked mode.

haha this is what I was worried about.
Sounds great

I wonder if Konami has thought this through at all

backlot

FOBs will live on PC where we don't have anything else.

rataplein

is there any way to check which of the mosquito's platforms (the new event) i have infiltrated?. also, if i do all of them, do i receive some sort of extra reward?

because i've infiltrated the intel one, and got few resources and shit gmp.

i just want to know if it's worth it. thanks

if you research battle armor (it'll say equipable by security team), they'll wear those balaclavas with small green armour

likewise for the sneaking suit, they'll wear gas masks instead

What the fuck, I keep getting invaded by this one guy over and over again. He invaded me twice while I was offline, i retaliated with no alert, and then he invades twice again. Using the 3 day insurance trial which mitigates it, but it's still bullshit.

2l7b.png

The1Ski

What the fuck, I keep getting invaded by this one guy over and over again. He invaded me twice while I was offline, i retaliated with no alert, and then he invades twice again. Using the 3 day insurance trial which mitigates it, but it's still bullshit.

2l7b.png

Sounds like it's working as Konami intended.

backlot

2l7b.png

So there are hackers on PS4 now?

Well yesterday I completely botched an invasion. I decided to invade a decently defended FOB. I thought that I could do it.
Right away i'm spotted by two guards. They don't have helmets, so I figured they'd be easy to tranq. But instead of pullng out the tranq gun, I pulled out the rocket fist. I didn't realize this until I shot it, and watched in slow motion as they sounded the alarm, and I got slaughtered. From now on i'm just going to use the regular arm.

Haunted

Logged in after 2 weeks to see myself 1.5 million gmp in the red. Effectively fucked my single player game.

Needs an opt out.
Being able to opt out would defeat the whole purpose of their threat generation system in the first place.

For those wanting to know where these kinds of systems come from, how they work psychologically, there's a great article on Gamasutra (about this tactic in mobile F2P games, but Kojipro/Konami implemented this 1:1 in MGSV).

Threat deflection in multi-player competitive games is fairly straight forward, using a technique called Threat by Proxy. Cooperative multi-player games, despite intense consumer demand for them, largely don't exist in the F2P mobile space. Presumably this is because industry does not know how to monetize them.

Threat by proxy involves encouraging your players to attack each other, while you stay “neutral” and offer protection from these malicious actions. Imagine you are thrown into the Roman Coliseum along with some hungry lions. You can blame the lions for your fate, but it is your Roman masters that have engineered your demise and who are to blame, not the lions. The lions are trying to survive this situation just like you are. But in a game using threat by proxy, the game language and mechanisms will be carefully crafted to keep your attention on your fellow players and what they might do to you next.

The most popular mobile games that use threat by proxy are in the Tower Defense (TD) genre. These games have you build up a base that generates resources for you over time. You can then use these resources to improve your base, which is a slow process. Other players can raid your base, and steal those resources. This is very effective at generating anxiety because it uses the technique of reward removal. Removing a reward that has already been acquired is much more painful to the player than if they didn't get the reward at all.

Resources generated can be spent to improve defenses to repel the actions of other players. Allowing players a free way to avoid threat would be disastrous so as players raise their defenses the program is designed to send more advanced opponents after them. Thus any feelings of improved security caused by building defenses are illusory. The only reliable ways of defending against reward removal will cost real money.
F2P: Threat Generation

Being able to opt out would defeat the whole purpose of their threat generation system in the first place.

For those wanting to know where these kinds of systems come from, how they work psychologically, there's a great article on Gamasutra (about this tactic in mobile F2P games, but Kojipro/Konami implemented this 1:1 in MGSV).

F2P: Threat Generation

You don't need to read an article to undertsand why they're doing it
It's still bullshit since this isn't a F2P game

Yeah after yesterday, I'm done dealing with FOB. When in the last strut, it's impossible to hide after entering in a alert because the Security guard will straight up cheat.

Ludens

Banned

2l7b.png

Maybe it's a Konami employee :D
Need to be sure people will buy the insurance.

I feel like I'm getting a lot better recruits replaying the story missions - is there any point to going non-lethal during the FOB missions if that's the case? I actually managed to do a 3/4 today with the Battle Dress, the pump action stun shotgun, the American semi-auto sniper rifle loaded with .308, and the tranq pistol, but I ended up having to cheese the guards a bit with the box and hiding the 2-3 times I popped the alarm.

i have a lot of trouble jumping across railings... anyone else find the window awfully short. i'even went into practice FOBs just to practice it but the way it triggers is so odd.

this is what i mean... doing a jump across railings like this... much of the time I try do this, because the window for it disappears so quickly and is replacing with climbing, i just hop over the railing and hang lol :(

best thing i found was to just walk very slow toward it but even then if you try to reactively press it, the window is too small... usually better to just tap Action before you actually approach the railing so it's already being spammed soon as the jump window does appear. i dunno feels a bit odd.
I feel like I'm getting a lot better recruits replaying the story missions - is there any point to going non-lethal during the FOB missions if that's the case? I actually managed to do a 3/4 today with the Battle Dress, the pump action stun shotgun, the American semi-auto sniper rifle loaded with .308, and the tranq pistol, but I ended up having to cheese the guards a bit with the box and hiding the 2-3 times I popped the alarm.
well you get a higher score... more heroism, too. plus you can fulton/recruit them for a higher score/heroism too.

but i mean, if you're 3/4 battle dress and into FOBs, you may no longer care about scores and especially heroism. i mean, non-lethal will improve your worldwide pvp rank more but it's an efficiency trade off, too... you may get less score per FOB but going lethal can maybe farm FOBs even faster. so over 5 hours you probably level up the ladder more. most of the high rank players i've seen go lethal with that lethal AM sniper.

Is there any point in really going non-lethal for your FOB security?

I also watched someone an hour or so ago keep doing the dive move and they made it all the way to the last platform before I stopped them with rubber bullets or whatever the stun assault rifle uses. That was interesting...

Now if only the game would stop taking my offline gained resources and putting them online, including vehicles and armaments that until it starting doing that I was selling for extra GMP past a certain number. <_<

is there any way to check which of the mosquito's platforms (the new event) i have infiltrated?. also, if i do all of them, do i receive some sort of extra reward?

because i've infiltrated the intel one, and got few resources and shit gmp.

i just want to know if it's worth it. thanks

That would be nice but it doesn't seem so. It's kind of annoying like other aspects of this FOB mess.

yeah there isn't. if you do the last one though you get a S+ solder again just like the first time you did one. would be cool if there was a Mosquito logo surprise reward at the end of the event though.

NL get gas masks too which helps with hope popular smoke is on FOBs

I like short range and shields now too because obviously shields help a lot versus grenade launchers or run and gunning with a AM semi-auto sniper rifle... but I feel like short range AI is different, too.... long range snipers sit back and let the Invader hide on the stairs and heal.... I mean, it's like the SP, right? who were the most annoying in-your-face NPCs? guys with shields and shotguns... they always charged you more. that's useful against Invaders that want to hang back, hide, kite, etc to snipe, lose alert, etc... more important than 'added armor' or faster killing is keeping the Invader in Combat Alert and suppressed... and NL short range guards that have shields or shotguns, and gas masks, seem the most annoying in terms of... they chase you more, get in close range and chase you downstairs more, you can't just smoke grenade 'em to sleep cuz the gas masks... harder to grenade laucher them to death cuz the shields protect against grenades... they basically bum rush you more and are harder to neutralize.

Gui_PT

They get shields and are a PITA to deal with fully leveled vs 1 shot stunning with the Uragan Stun-slug 5 shot hand cannon

I was completely screwed when I invaded a guy's base with a sleep grenade launcher and every soldier in the base had gas masks haha

I can't pick the weapons they use, right?
I can only pick letal/non-lethal or weapon rage, I assum

I just logged in after only about 12 hours and my 100,000 GMP has been replaced with a 400,000 GMP deficit. WTF?!! I've never completed the FOB tutorial so surely it can't be that, can it? Is there some way to check if your FOB has been attacked? Nothing shows up in the log.

I just logged in after only about 12 hours and my 100,000 GMP has been replaced with a 400,000 GMP deficit. WTF?!! I've never completed the FOB tutorial so surely it can't be that, can it? Is there some way to check if your FOB has been attacked? Nothing shows up in the log.

You weren't attacked, they put some weird change into the game that was implemented after the last patch. If you go online it will take a bunch of your resources and put them "online" for no reason. This includes the resources, vehicles, weapons, plants, etc. I haven't gone online since before the patch so I haven't seen it for myself.

You weren't attacked, they put some weird change into the game that was implemented after the last patch. If you go online it will take a bunch of your resources and put them "online" for no reason. This includes the resources, vehicles, weapons, plants, etc. I haven't gone online since before the patch so I haven't seen it for myself.
Hmm, sounds like that might have been it. Wow. I've never seen a company try to screw over their player base the way Konami has with this game.

The sooner these guys exit the business the better.

Lender

Oh fuck you Konami. Got a message that my fob was being invaded. Hopped in, got into a sniper position and had the sucker completely pinned down. Until I got a disconnected message and I was thrown out of the game, and now I can't even get into my own FoB to defend it, giving the guy clear space to do whatever the hell he wants. Bullshit.

Top Bottom