• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Forward Operating Base (FOB)

The1Ski

A lot of people are starting to dig into this mode but a lot of people are still curious about how well it works and if it's worth the time/effort.

So, does this mode have the longevity to keep players playing?

Is it enjoyable?

And who's got the pro-tips?

Edit: Yes another MGSV thread

Edit 2: For those interested in avoiding FOBs...

A couple videos that help breakdown the mechanics, functions, and results of participating in the FOB mode. They seem to be a good place to start!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06wP6zEtKeE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58UEdld04M8

Anung

Un Rama
There's Forward Operating Bases in this game? Bloody Spoilers!

Not tried it myself yet because I'm burning out on MGSV but it sounds like a blast.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I still can't believe Konami wants $10 for additional ones. Am I missing something, that seems not worth it.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
It's kinda annoying when you're halfway through a mission then someone intrudes your base. You don't have to defend it and let your security team do it for you, but then it defeats a lot of the point.

Best tip is just find other players and support them, it basically makes you friends. Then when their base is being attacked, you can help out. Easy GMP and heroism.

It's an interesting game mode and can totally have some good moments but I can't see it having much legs due to the fact the bases are all the same ones you use as motherbase. Once a good few choke points for pinning the intruder are found it will get old very fast. The fact you're punished for playing it too really doesn't help the situation either.

MMaRsu

Banned
It is enjoyable, I've done a bunch of succesful infiltrations and they can be tense.

Put on the Ground Zeroes sneaking suit for the best camo I've noticed. Take a silenced sniper rifle with you so you can take out guards from a distance.

On one infiltration I got caught near the objective so I had to hide underneath a bit of stairs and some small grass bushes or whatever. I got caught and got shot lol.

One other time the owner of the base caught me and shot me with a stun assault rifle. Pretty badass.

But it does suck that you can't explore the other platforms while invading, it will tell you its outside the mission area. It also sucks that when the owner of the base comes into the FOB when you are infiltrating you get reset to your starting point.

Broken Joystick

It's an interesting game mode and can totally have some good moments but I can't see it having much legs due to the fact the bases are all the same ones you use as motherbase. Once a good few choke points for pinning the intruder are found it will get old very fast. The fact you're punished for playing it too really doesn't help the situation either.

Yeah, this is true. There's already a spot that people go to as soon as it starts, and they hide behind a little wall to scout out the FOB defenses, but the defender, being at the top of the base, can easily see them. Boom, easy headshot, over in a matter of seconds.

Macrotus

Is it just me that feels the defender has the advantage majority of the time?

[Edited]
I saw the reply right above me posted at the same time.
I guess I'm not alone =P

The1Ski

It is enjoyable, I've done a bunch of succesful infiltrations and they can be tense.

Put on the Ground Zeroes sneaking suit for the best camo I've noticed. Take a silenced sniper rifle with you so you can take out guards from a distance.

On one infiltration I got caught near the objective so I had to hide underneath a bit of stairs and some small grass bushes or whatever. I got caught and got shot lol.

One other time the owner of the base caught me and shot me with a stun assault rifle. Pretty badass.

But it does suck that you can't explore the other platforms while invading, it will tell you its outside the mission area. It also sucks that when the owner of the base comes into the FOB when you are infiltrating you get reset to your starting point.

Didn't know that.... don't like the sound of that...

Roto13

I've played for like 50 hours (doing all of the side missions as they become available) up through story mission
and I haven't even seen the FOB system yet.

I've played for like 50 hours (doing all of the side missions as they become available) up through story mission
and I haven't even seen the FOB system yet.

It unlocks pretty late. You haven't missing anything other than some extra slots for staff members considering how broken the servers have been.

Hasney

On PS4, they're working alright. There does seem to be a bug where online doesn't work after x number of hours, so if you get "failed to login" repeatedly or if it says you are logged in but nothing online works, restart the application completely.

With that out the way, it's a ton of fun. So when you're invaded, you run a risk of losing your staff and you can be invaded even when you're not online. When an invader comes in, they can steal staff and resources, but these resources are unprocessed and online only resources, your mother base stuff will not be affected. But half the reason you have an FOB is resources, so still make sure to try and defend them.

Your staff is a whole different matter. Depending on what platform is invaded, they can take security staff and staff who are assigned to that platform. To avoid this, go to staff management and put your best staff under direct contract. This way, they cannot be stolen.

As for the gameplay itself, infiltrating a high level base is freaking hard even if the other player doesn't come back to defend. It's so rewarding when you pull it off though and the higher the risk, the higher the rewards. If you see high level staff and extract them, you get them anyway even if you lose. BUT, if the enemy retaliates, they can get them back within a certain number of days. Try going full stealth and tranqing guys, but without the crutch of a buddy and a much shorter reflex time, this is much harder than the main game.

Defence is easier, but don't think it's a cakewalk. Try and let your staff find them first, but if they don't, you run the risk of getting them extracted. It's tense when they're never found. Here's a video of the last minute of a defence I did. You can see I'm frantically searching for this guy that is knocking my guys out and there were 5 minutes of this panicked searching. If they do extract anyone, go retaliate and save them godammit. They're your men!

One thing I would recommend is going to the relationships page. Pick some high ranking guys and support them, hopefully they'll support you back. What happens here is when you're not free, they will come and defend your base if they support you and if you support them, you'll get alerts when they're invaded. You get much better rewards for defending someone else's base, and the satisfaction you did a good deed.

All in all, it's a damn fun mode for me... When the servers work. Even when they're up, it can be frustrating when you can't create a session to defend your base, but the ratio of this happening appears to go down.

Broken Joystick

Is it just me that feels the defender has the advantage majority of the time?

[Edited]
I saw the reply right above me posted at the same time.
I guess I'm not alone =P

I mean, I guess it's the point. The attacker is supposed to be super stealthy, but yeah. It feels like the defender will have a much bigger advantage.

LordCanti

I haven't had much luck with invasions when people actually show up. The deck is stacked a little too high when there's a person waiting by the objective (or with a view of it) to kill you. On the flip side, defending is incredibly easy when you realize that they have no choice but to come to you near the objective.

I think the mode would have longer legs if I could get friends FOB's involved. Sadly there doesn't seem to be a way to do that.

Hasney

Oh and one thing to add is that if you have more than one platform in a department, it's harder for both of you. The attacker usually starts and the furthest platform which allows them to get an advantageous position as the defender can't see them straight away, but obviously they have more ground to cover.

I haven't had much luck with invasions when people actually show up. The deck is stacked a little too high when there's a person waiting by the objective (or with a view of it) to kill you. On the flip side, defending is incredibly easy when you realize that they have no choice but to come to you near the objective.

I think the mode would have longer legs if I could get friends FOB's involved. Sadly there doesn't seem to be a way to do that.

If the defender shows up, I tend to take his staff. Once they see 5 or so, they need to start running at you as those staff are gone. Good luck to him getting through my level 30-odd security base to get them back.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
How hard is to upgrade the security? I want to be prepared before making an FOB.

Alo0oy

Banned
Since nobody is answering me this in the OT, I'll ask this here.

I bought the 6k MB coins pack, but I was only able to buy 2 FoBs, the free initial one, and an additional one using MB coins, but there is no option to buy any more FoBs, do they unlock later or what? & when do they unlock?

Hasney

Can you defend people on your friends list? Or only randoms?

Only randoms. I assume that you can get lucky and see a friend on the list to support though.
Since nobody is answering me this in the OT, I'll ask this here.

I bought the 6k MB coins pack, but I was only able to buy 2 FoBs, the free initial one, and an additional one using MB coins, but there is no option to buy any more FoBs, do they unlock later or what? & when do they unlock?

I have 2 FOBs, everything is high level and I have no way to buy more if I wanted, so no idea. Are you sure you can have more than 2?

Stop with the MGSV threads, for the love of Snake.
This actually needs its thread though. Had no clue what the hell it is and haven't had any chance to figure how it works, which seems relatively deep/risky — I haven't gotten any answers to my questions in the OTs, so I'd have a better chance here.

I have 2 FOBs, everything is high level and I have no way to buy more if I wanted, so no idea. Are you sure you can have more than 2?
I think you can, but it costs real money.

Alo0oy

Banned

I read that the maximum number of FoBs you can have is 4 in the microtransactions thread, which is why I bought the 6k coins pack. Are you very far into the game?

Hasney

I read that the maximum number of FoBs you can have is 4 in the microtransactions thread, which is why I bought the 6k coins pack. Are you very far into the game?

Finished the story and most of the side ops. Done 35 successful infiltrations and 22 defences so I would thought it would have popped up if it was going to.

BadHand

On PS4, they're working alright. There does seem to be a bug where online doesn't work after x number of hours, so if you get "failed to login" repeatedly or if it says you are logged in but nothing online works, restart the application completely.

With that out the way, it's a ton of fun. So when you're invaded, you run a risk of losing your staff and you can be invaded even when you're not online. When an invader comes in, they can steal staff and resources, but these resources are unprocessed and online only resources, your mother base stuff will not be affected. But half the reason you have an FOB is resources, so still make sure to try and defend them.

Your staff is a whole different matter. Depending on what platform is invaded, they can take security staff and staff who are assigned to that platform. To avoid this, go to staff management and put your best staff under direct contract. This way, they cannot be stolen.

As for the gameplay itself, infiltrating a high level base is freaking hard even if the other player doesn't come back to defend. It's so rewarding when you pull it off though and the higher the risk, the higher the rewards. If you see high level staff and extract them, you get them anyway even if you lose. BUT, if the enemy retaliates, they can get them back within a certain number of days. Try going full stealth and tranqing guys, but without the crutch of a buddy and a much shorter reflex time, this is much harder than the main game.

Defence is easier, but don't think it's a cakewalk. Try and let your staff find them first, but if they don't, you run the risk of getting them extracted. It's tense when they're never found. Here's a video of the last minute of a defence I did. You can see I'm frantically searching for this guy that is knocking my guys out and there were 5 minutes of this panicked searching. If they do extract anyone, go retaliate and save them godammit. They're your men!

One thing I would recommend is going to the relationships page. Pick some high ranking guys and support them, hopefully they'll support you back. What happens here is when you're not free, they will come and defend your base if they support you and if you support them, you'll get alerts when they're invaded. You get much better rewards for defending someone else's base, and the satisfaction you did a good deed.

All in all, it's a damn fun mode for me... When the servers work. Even when they're up, it can be frustrating when you can't create a session to defend your base, but the ratio of this happening appears to go down.

This is useful, thanks.

are you sure that resources you lose do not impact you offline/MB resources? This was my biggest concern.

As for the direct contract thing, what happens if an invader tries to Fulton someone under one? Is there a limit to how many direct contracts I can make?

Hasney

This is useful, thanks.

I you sure that resources you lose do not impact you offline/MB resources? This was my biggest concern.

As for the direct contract thing, what happens if an invader tries to Fulton someone under one? Is there a limit to how many direct contracts I can make?

Direct contracts work at Mother Base rather than the FOBs, so they won't even be visible to them. There is a limit, it's a percentage of your current base capacity. So right now, I can have 137 direct contracts and I have space for 1370 staff.

Resources for sure don't affect your offline stuff. When you run around the map while connected, you'll occasionally notice that your staff have processed materials. These come up as 2 different boxes, standard processing and online materials.

BadHand

Direct contracts work at Mother Base rather than the FOBs, so they won't even be visible to them. There is a limit, it's a percentage of your current base capacity. So right now, I can have 137 direct contracts and I have space for 1370 staff.

Resources for sure don't affect your offline stuff. When you run around the map while connected, you'll occasionally notice that your staff have processed materials. These come up as 2 different boxes, standard processing and online materials.

Ah, that makes sense. So by restricting your best staff they won't be posted at FOBs and you can't lose them, but they also won't be there to defend your base when it's attacked.

When an FOB processes materials, is that then sent to MB and no longer able to be stolen?

Thanks for the tips btw.

Zomba13

Utterly terrible. I was once right outside the thing and the guy came in and reset me.

Hasney

Ah, that makes sense. So by restricting your best staff they won't be posted at FOBs and you can't lose them, but they also won't be there to defend your base when it's attacked.

When an FOB processes materials, is that then sent to MB and no longer able to be stolen?

Thanks for the tips btw.

Yeah, processed material can't be stolen at all. It's yours.

Jonm1010

Banned
Hmm. Kinda makes you wish they had allowed more Base customization because as people have already pointed out it really is like playing one map over and over again.

It wouldn't of had to be anything too crazy but maybe a few different options for your base layout to give you a bit of an advantage on your home turf.

Siphorus

Curious to see how this mode plays in with the
nukes you can build and if my interpretation is correct, launch them against other players.

LordCanti

Curious to see how this mode plays in with the
nukes you can build and if my interpretation is correct, launch them against other players.

I've read that they prevent other people with too low of a hero score to invade your FOB though I'm not sure if that's true at all. I'm not certain there is ever any actual way to "use" them.

I'd love clarification.

Zomba13

Hmm. Kinda makes you wish they had allowed more Base customization because as people have already pointed out it really is like playing one map over and over again.

It wouldn't of had to be anything too crazy but maybe a few different options for your base layout to give you a bit of an advantage on your home turf.

The only thing that changes is the emblem on things. Not even the colour is different (unless I've only invaded orange bases...)

Alo0oy

Banned
Finished the story and most of the side ops. Done 35 successful infiltrations and 22 defences so I would thought it would have popped up if it was going to.

Really? What am I supposed to do with the excessive amount of coins I have then? I don't think you can do anything with them except buying FoBs.

Top Bottom