• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Forward Operating Base (FOB)

LeonSPBR

I've read that they prevent other people with too low of a hero score to invade your FOB though I'm not sure if that's true at all. I'm not certain there is ever any actual way to "use" them.

I'd love clarification.

Nukes is a deterrance in MGS saga so they adapted for the FOB mode. Nukes ensured that you won't get any retaliation if you attack someone.

Hasney

Sorry if this has been asked, but when do you do FOBs I can't seem to find an option at all.

Mission 22

Nukes is a deterrance in MGS saga so they adapted for the FOB mode. Nukes ensured that you won't get any retaliation if you attack someone.

Unless they have nukes themselves I believe. Not sure about retaliation, but if you have a nuke, you can invade nuclear armed targets. you can't even find them without a nuke.

Alo0oy

Banned
I haven't even gotten to FOB's yet, the whole thing resetting when the defender joins sounds incredibly stupid.

Can't you use them to speed up development times on Motherbase or something?

Nope, you can only speed up the online dispatch missions for an outrageous price of 400+ coins, which is the equivalent of about 10 US$.

That's for one single E-ranked mission.

There's nothing else to spend your coins on.

LeonSPBR

Shit, I'm still at mission 9. Long way to go.

I should start doing more missions lol.

Take your time, you'll need the level in order to develop the security. Besides with the FOB you can lose your staff. I was attacked when I was sleeping and I lost 2 rank B and 1 rank A staff by a attack. Although FOB is pretty fun to play.

Nope, you can only speed up the online dispatch missions for an outrageous price of 400+ coins, which is the equivalent of about 10 US$.

That's for one single E-ranked mission.

There's nothing else to spend your coins on.

Wow. That's straight up bullshit.

Who would even want to pay for that?

Take your time, you'll need the level in order to develop the security. Besides with the FOB you can lose your staff. I was attacked when I was sleeping and I lost 2 rank B and 1 rank A staff by a attack. Although FOB is pretty fun to play.

That sounds annoying given how you rarely get anyone over B in the field. I am investing in R&D for now and they're at level 19 something I think, it doesn't show much security stuff to develop though apart from weapons that the security team can use. The only way to level your staff is through Dispatch missions right?

Hasney

Here's a tip: If you take out the defender but have an alarm triggered, don't go hide near the objective. The camera is right there for the defending player near so if you've got one of the downstairs objective platform and you hide in the garden, I'm gonna respawn and rocket you.

LeonSPBR

Mission 22

Unless they have nukes themselves I believe. Not sure about retaliation, but if you have a nuke, you can invade nuclear armed targets. you can't even find them without a nuke.

Well I can't say about that, but I don't think having nukes really makes any difference in the people you encounter. What I think it does makes difference is how much evolve is your FOB. For me who didn't invest in nothing in the FOB, I only get the same type of people that didn't create anything other than the first command platform.

Alo0oy

Banned

Yup, I had an excessive amount of coins, so I said fuck it, but when I saw the price, I decided to keep them, I'd rather not spend them than pay that much for a mission that will only give me 1k fuel resources.

Now I have to hope that MGO uses the same currency.

Hasney

Well I can't say about that, but I don't think having nukes really makes any difference in the people you encounter. What I think it does makes difference is how much evolve is your FOB. For me who didn't invest in nothing in the FOB, I only get the same type of people that didn't create anything other than the first command platform.

It does mean you can specifically target nuke equipped FOBs, there's a section for it that's blank until you build your own nuke under FOB missions. I don't think you appear on the regular list if you have your own too, or that's an assumption as I haven't seen a nuke in over 50 invasions.

Mupod

I've been playing offline because the PC servers are garbage and kill my loadtimes. I actually would not mind giving this stuff a try if it didn't cause my idroid to have 30 second loads between menu screens.

No, no it isn't. Fuck Konami for forcing you into this since you're auto-login'd to their servers online on bootup and fuck them for not having anti-cheat.

On PC at least, I'm asked to agree to a ToS every time I log in. If I decline it puts me in offline mode. I haven't done the 'base invasion' tutorial yet but my FOB is 'there' in that I get more staff space. But I still need more people to reach R&D levels past 45, and the only reasonable way for me to get them is to start playing in online mode.

realcZk

I think this could really use some balance tuning. As it stands defenders have an insanely huge leg up over invaders, maybe that was intended so that invaders almost always lose. If a defender joins your game while invading there's a slim chance you'll win at that point it seems. Defenders have infinite number of respawns and they respawn directly on the objective (which also happens to be the highest point on the map) with around 5 seconds of immunity. If they see you the alert phase begins which prevents you from ever entering the FOB core.

However - if a defender is never online to defend his FOB then the invasions are practically free. I think that just changing the defender spawn point would be an improvement. It would at least give you some breathing room. Right now if you were to kill a defender near the FOB you'd want to run back down and hide because when he re spawns he'll be immune to damage and will just reset the alert-phase timer when he spots you.

Hasney

No, no it isn't. Fuck Konami for forcing you into this since you're auto-login'd to their servers online on bootup and fuck them for not having anti-cheat.

*On PC. That looks totally fucked. I'm assuming it'll appear on 360 and PS3 too since they're hacked, but for now since there's no packet exploits, PS4/XB1 should be fine.

Yup, I had an excessive amount of coins, so I said fuck it, but when I saw the price, I decided to keep them, I'd rather not spend them than pay that much for a mission that will only give me 1k fuel resources.

Now I have to hope that MGO uses the same currency.

I hope so too, at least then all of us who have been getting coins only through the daily login bonus could use it to get something more useful than just time reduction. Or maybe they'll let you buy another FOB once their servers are good.

LeonSPBR

That sounds annoying given how you rarely get anyone over B in the field. I am investing in R&D for now and they're at level 19 something I think, it doesn't show much security stuff to develop though apart from weapons that the security team can use. The only way to level your staff is through Dispatch missions right?

As you gain heroism you'll find better people with better ranks (I'm finding A++ to S to fulton them) so level isn't really a problem, what will become a problem is losing materials. And you level them through dispatch mission. But losing personnel is really irritating seeing that I lost a level in my Intel team.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
FOBs are beyond pointless imo. Infiltrating is terrible and difficult against well staffed / defended platforms. If the platforms are poorly staffed, then there's no real need to steal their staff, and you can go and steal unprocessed materials, but they just opens you up to an infiltration where that will happen to you, unless you poor GMP into defending every FOB platform you have, but again for what purpose.

Don't even care about all the RMT. Not sure why Konami thought people would find this fun enough to spend money on. It seems like a holdover until MGO comes out. Put your paid items in that instead (I know they will)

I think being invaded while offline is BS.

Every single time but one it was in the middle of night, pretty sure people just look at players profiles and pick ones where is the middle of night. And they just kill my guys without even extracting.

So fuck this mode ruining my single player progress, staying offline. MGO better no cause it to update single player.

I wonder if backing up your save, taking the damage, then reloading the back-up works to avoid the damage.

Tovarisc

I wonder if it's possible to put the game down for a month, come back, and see all your shit gone.

How MGSV and FOB's seem to work I would say yes, very possible. Saw in stream player losing tens of thousands resources and ~20+ soldiers because he was offline and streamer invaded.

Hasney

I think being invaded while offline is BS.

Every single time but one it was in the middle of night, pretty sure people just look at players profiles and pick ones where is the middle of night. And they just kill my guys without even extracting.

So fuck this mode ruining my single player progress, staying offline. MGO better no cause it to update single player.

I wonder if backing up your save, taking the damage, then reloading the back-up works to avoid the damage.

Could work in theory. Depends if the check to see if you're owed losses/bonuses are kept server side or based on the date of the save.

MAX PAYMENT

How MGSV and FOB's seem to work I would say yes, very possible. Saw in stream player losing tens of thousands resources and ~20+ soldiers because he was offline and streamer invaded.

That sucks. I didn't think that FOB's would be so involving. I kind of wish I can opt out now.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
So if you develop a weapon that can be used by the security team there's just a chance that they will use it?

I'm guessing that's it, since there isn't a way to actually choose exactly what weapon they use.

Since GMP cost of platform defense rises, it might be the higher / highest grades of weapons you develop that they can use.

Also I just noticed that your security rating goes down if you choose something besides mid-range.

MAX PAYMENT

I'm guessing that's it, since there isn't a way to actually choose exactly what weapon they use.

Since GMP cost of platform defense rises, it might be the higher / highest grades of weapons you develop that they can use.

Also I just noticed that your security rating goes down if you choose something besides mid-range.

That's kind of odd about the range.

Gaz_RB

Kind of disappointed. The FOB's lack variety so it got super repetitive for me once I figured out the best routes. I'd rather invade people while they were doing side ops or something. That would be awesome.

MAX PAYMENT

Kind of disappointed. The FOB's lack variety so it got super repetitive for me once I figured out the best routes. I'd rather invade people while they were doing side ops or something. That would be awesome.

Yeah. In the FOB demo video, the guy makes it sound like your base's layout is customizable. He says something like "since you're defending your own personal base, you'll know the layout better."

Tovarisc

Player gets automatic invasion warning no matter what they were doing in the game. Only way for them not to get warning is for them to be offline.

I'm pissed that people are buying the coins. I thought if we chucked a big enough fit and didn't buy them they'd patch it out or at least give us more free coins or an extra free base. Guess not though, if anything they'll probably see that people are falling for it and add more microtransaction bullshit into MGO.

DryvBy

You take your animals to a Jurassic Park on your FOB. It reminds me of the bug catching in Animal Crossing. Seeing all the things you've caught.

I have a bear in my FOB.

SilentRob

But it does suck that you can't explore the other platforms while invading, it will tell you its outside the mission area. It also sucks that when the owner of the base comes into the FOB when you are infiltrating you get reset to your starting point.

That's not true, at least not always. I invaded someone yesterday and when the defender came back to his base it did reload and I was a little further back than I was before, but I wasn't back at my starting point.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
That's not true, at least not always. I invaded someone yesterday and when the defender came back to his base it did reload and I was a little further back than I was before, but I wasn't back at my starting point.

If you spawn in one platform and make it to another, once the person deploys to defend you start on that platform, not your spawn point.

Top Bottom