• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Forward Operating Base (FOB)

Hasney

Really? What am I supposed to do with the excessive amount of coins I have then? I don't think you can do anything with them except buying FoBs.

You can rush online deployment so they finish quicker. You might be able to complete FOB platform development quicker too? Check the button prompts in the bottom left when hovering over a built platform.
It's unplayable, especially on PC.

Just pretend that it's not in the game.

Ouch, that's just dumb. Hopefully the PC MGO delay means they're taking that seriously, but I have my doubts.

Roto13

If I never want to attack or defend anything and want to play offline all the time, should I bother to build a FOB? Will that just waste my soldiers?

Hasney

Well, I do want to go online for a minute every day to get my check in rewards. Will that screw me up?

Yeah, that'll sync the losses. Your only real choice would be to dismantle the FOB.

While my FOB had low security, I wasn't worried as my top guys were under direct contract and I had 400 guys in the waiting room to replace losses so as long as your top guys are locked down, everyone else is replaceable.

Alo0oy

Banned
You can rush online deployment so they finish quicker. You might be able to complete FOB platform development quicker too? Check the button prompts in the bottom left when hovering over a built platform.

Wow, it costs over 480 coins to finish a single E-ranked dispatch mission. I'm not gonna spend my coins on that, unfortunately the only other way to spend my coins is to relocate my FoBs.

What a waste that coins pack was.

Two Words

I just got to the point where I can get an FOB and get to choose my spot. The game just freezes (more like an infinite load). I cannot progress in MGSV because of this. Anybody else hit this issue? Does it just take a long time?

JackelZXA

I don't have FOB yet, but I just got the away team mission selector thing that has MB Coins stuff in it and there is absolutely zero reason to ever do the online thing there. The offline missions have a reasonable time spent and you get better rewards from them. I basically just check in every so often as i'm doing a mission and i can wrack up so much GMP so quickly. I'm wondering if anyone even needs the second FOB or if one is actually enough?

The1Ski

Wow, it costs over 480 coins to finish a single E-ranked dispatch mission. I'm not gonna spend my coins on that, unfortunately the only other way to spend my coins is to relocate my FoBs.

What a waste that coins pack was.

Yeah the coins seem ridiculously expensive for what they can do.

It is enjoyable, I've done a bunch of succesful infiltrations and they can be tense.

Put on the Ground Zeroes sneaking suit for the best camo I've noticed. Take a silenced sniper rifle with you so you can take out guards from a distance.

On one infiltration I got caught near the objective so I had to hide underneath a bit of stairs and some small grass bushes or whatever. I got caught and got shot lol.

One other time the owner of the base caught me and shot me with a stun assault rifle. Pretty badass.

But it does suck that you can't explore the other platforms while invading, it will tell you its outside the mission area. It also sucks that when the owner of the base comes into the FOB when you are infiltrating you get reset to your starting point.
....wait what? is this for real?

Getting kicked on and off the server is getting extremely annoying. It's been happening in mid invasions and such. And I've also been getting hard locks when I try to defend.

This is not making me very confident in MGO's launch.

Mass One

Getting kicked on and off the server is getting extremely annoying. It's been happening in mid invasions and such. And I've also been getting hard locks when I try to defend.

This is not making me very confident in MGO's launch.

It's frustrating, I've tried to defend and I get the fail to create game session. Sometimes if I quit the game, it'll let me defend or just freeze. I once tried to backup a ally then it disconnected me.

Elessar

Neo Member
Just tried a few matches of FOB Infiltration yesterday and boy are they fun!

That said, FOB's all look the same; meaning its the same map(s) over and over again. Guard positions, patrol routes are also the same. =\

Still fun though.

PreFire

I haven't tried it yet. Going to finish the story first, I don't want to be interrupted half way into a mission, trying to S rank.

Plus, online stability sucks right now

zkorejo

Always get this error: "This base is already being invaded". I am sure it has something to with the issues with the server.

Got to do it just once so far.

Severance

Anyone know if whether a soldier is an A or C rank really matters in online FOBs? Not sure if its worth it since eventually you're going to lose a soldier no matter what

Alienous

It's bullshit.

I can't invade a base without perpetual fear of a defender joining and sending me back to my starting point. I don't even get my ammo replenished.

I just defend things and invade my own base for the fun of it.

Mass One

It's bullshit.

I can't invade a base without perpetual fear of a defender joining and sending me back to my starting point. I don't even get my ammo replenished.

I just defend things and invade my own base for the fun of it.

If you don't get the FOB's team to alarm, they'll never get the in game emergency warning and the retaliation wont be available.

Alienous

If you don't get the FOB's team to alarm, they'll never get the in game emergency warning and the retaliation wont be available.

I don't think that's the case, is it?

I recall sneaking around, getting the 'Defender inbound' message and being really annoyed. I was taking my infiltration slow, progressing to the exit carefully, then having to start from the beginning.

The1Ski

That said, FOB's all look the same; meaning its the same map(s) over and over again. Guard positions, patrol routes are also the same. =\

Still fun though.

This makes me think that the FOB stuff is going to be a short lived distraction. Hope I'm wrong! Seems like a cool idea!

I still don't understand it. I just know I don't want to lose all the shit I've collected, whether it be soldiers, materials, items or gmp. It's hard enough to get what you need, I don't need some gimmicky online component taking it away.
Even if theoretically I could obtain more stuff from using FOB, I still rather just not deal with it.
Had this shit worked day 1 though? I wouldn't have minded.

Revven

I recall sneaking around, getting the 'Defender inbound' message and being really annoyed. I was taking my infiltration slow, progressing to the exit carefully, then having to start from the beginning.

I read it's based on the status the security team is in. If they're in caution, even without you having been spotted, the defender gets alerted and can retaliate.

That's what I read, at least. So even if you don't trigger an alert, the defender can come to defend depending on the security team's status.

Anyway, I opened up my FOB today and wasn't invaded at all so far and I played the game for several hours (of course at one point I eventually got disconnected from the server but when I reconnected later I didn't get any notice I lost anything).

I also read that you'll almost never get invaded if you don't set your security too high (so having lowish rank soldiers, no security cams, no sensors, drones, etc.) because your base won't be very highly ranked then and the infiltrator won't be able to get much from you. You'll, at best, only get invaded by people who are also low ranked (as they can only find bases of similar ranks, another thing I read). I'm not sure if the above is completely accurate but that's how my base is and I haven't been invaded yet. I created it mainly to expand my MB (which btw just having an FOB alone increases your MB capacity pretty significantly so it's worth doing when you have the option to build one) and get more fuel resources.

Mass One

That was just my assumption and I could definitely be wrong but, I've never had a defender appear during perfect stealth attempts. Also, I had the "view FOB damage" message but never had the emergency warning. I went and check the security log and the staff never detected a intruder.

My friend played it and said the defender just spammed the Sonar Arm and Rocket Launcher to win... Sorry if I gave anyone ideas, but that sounds pretty terrible.

Veldin

There's a number of things about the rules of FOB missions that don't work to me. The balance is a mess.

Such as how the invader's position gets reset if a defender comes in. There's virtually no reason to sneak around since you run the risk of either getting stopped short of the core because a defender connected or getting caught in a bad position with 2-3 machine gun guards in battle dresses murdering you in a second. The best approach I've found is to just gun everyone down with a stun weapon or a grenade launcher, then rush the core(after getting any resources there are). It's actually pretty damn challenging to stealth your way through a well-guarded FOB, and that's without another human player interfering.

As a defender you have all the advantages in the world. You're able to respawn as much as you like with the only drawback being a longer spawn time for each death, and it's not that long to begin with. If you happen to find the invader and aim at them, it triggers the alarm, so you're encouraged to run around everywhere like crazy until you find them. And since their location is reset when you connect there's only a few places they could be. Due to latency it's also really easy to run up and CQC -> Fulton, but if you can't do that then you can simply rocket launcher the invader in the face with no real repercussions. On top of all that you've probably got a bunch of heavily armed guards helping you out. Assuming the invader knocked some of them out but didn't(or couldn't) fulton them, you can kick the guards and wake them up. The defender can also have security cameras, drones, mines and infrared sensors. It's silly.

It kinda feels like it would all be better if there were no Defender vs Invader element and the FOBs were semi-online stealth missions with some customizable aspects. Every fun invasion I've done was one where a defender never connected. On the flipside most defenses I've done were uneventful since it's easy as fuck.

KarmaCow

I don't know where to connect now and quickly do a FOB mission to get that achievement or wait until I'm done with all the research stuff. When the game forced me to make a FOB, I had basically no defenses so I'm guessing all my stuff and staff will be just gone when I do connect again. :/

Alo0oy

Banned
Yeah the coins seem ridiculously expensive for what they can do.

Yeah, I wish Konami was more upfront about it, I bought the largest coins pack because I was under the assumption that you can build 4 FoBs. Now I'm stuck with a large amount of coins with nothing to do with them except move around the FoBs or speed up online dispatch missions.

Hasney

That was just my assumption and I could definitely be wrong but, I've never had a defender appear during perfect stealth attempts. Also, I had the "view FOB damage" message but never had the emergency warning. I went and check the security log and the staff never detected a intruder.

I think you're right. You also can't infiltrate another base while you're being invaded and you get an error message saying so, but sometimes no emergency icon pops. Thought it might be server error, but considering I've not had anyone invade until alert status at least, this is accurate.

Also, technically you don't start from the beginning. If there's multiple platforms, you start on the closest one you made it to at least. I can't think of a better way to do it really if you just wanted to get ot the end without a defender coming in, you could if you don't make them suspicious. Hide dem bodies.

That said, FOB's all look the same; meaning its the same map(s) over and over again. Guard positions, patrol routes are also the same. =

Still fun though.
Well different platforms (R&D, Combat etc.) are different so that does keep things fresh a little longer.

I've been invaded once when I was offline, but it seems I can't retaliate since the game won't let me (I have the "a rival is invading this MB" or something)

Banzai

I've been invaded once when I was offline, but it seems I can't retaliate since the game won't let me (I have the "a rival is invading this MB" or something)

Yeah I have the same problem with one guy. Sucks, too, because that dude got me good. I lost tens of thousands of materials and a lot of staff.

Alo0oy

Banned

Yeah, that happened to me too. I got a server error for trying to defend so I sat by while my base was getting attacked.

MNC

It's an interesting game mode and can totally have some good moments but I can't see it having much legs due to the fact the bases are all the same ones you use as motherbase. Once a good few choke points for pinning the intruder are found it will get old very fast. The fact you're punished for playing it too really doesn't help the situation either.
This is a real shame. I would expect a bit more customization in the base.

The1Ski

Yeah, I wish Konami was more upfront about it, I bought the largest coins pack because I was under the assumption that you can build 4 FoBs. Now I'm stuck with a large amount of coins with nothing to do with them except move around the FoBs or speed up online dispatch missions.

That's too bad. I would have expected some camo patterns or head gear being sold. The system seems like it's missing an awful lot of meat.

Alo0oy

Banned
That's too bad. I would have expected some camo patterns or head gear being sold. The system seems like it's missing an awful lot of meat.

Yeah, I'm gonna keep those coins hoping that they transfer to MGO. Right now buying more than 1.2k coins is pretty much pointless.

whyman

I just got to the point where I can get an FOB and get to choose my spot. The game just freezes (more like an infinite load). I cannot progress in MGSV because of this. Anybody else hit this issue? Does it just take a long time?

Nha restart the game. When you get back in dont open the idroid just the options menu and set it to offline. Enjoy. :)

I haven't even gotten to FOB's yet, the whole thing resetting when the defender joins sounds incredibly stupid.

Yeah, I'm gonna keep those coins hoping that they transfer to MGO. Right now buying more than 1.2k coins is pretty much pointless.

Can't you use them to speed up development times on Motherbase or something?

Can I get stuff like gas masks etc for my guards?

I don't plan to even touch the fob mode until I am able to confidently say my defences will be through the roof - don't want to put any of my soldiers at risk!

FOBs are possibly the most fun I've had in this game. It feels insanely tense and satisfying. I don't mind the position reset when a defender appears since I'm in it for the PvP. There would be no sense in the defender coming in and you just waltzing forward two steps and entering the core. I will say that grenade launchers seem crazy OP for now until people start developing more clever strats. There's no way you can win a firearms battle with rifles and such against a grenade launcher in these rather confined spaces.

Haven't met any hackers on PC yet either, but I'm not surprised there's zero effort put into anti-hack software even though it's running on Steamworks. Or maybe there are VAC bans waiting to happen, those are delayed by several months usually.

wrowa

Is there a way to disable the mode completely? The game tells you in the beginning that infiltrations can happen even when you are offline and that you'll lose extracted staff the next time you go online. But I really don't want to bother with it and it makes me nervous.

Hasney

Is there a way to disable the mode completely? The game tells you in the beginning that infiltrations can happen even when you are offline and that you'll lose extracted staff the next time you go online. But I really don't want to bother with it and it makes me nervous.

Not really, but if you never connect online, you can't sync your staff losses.

Top Bottom