• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Forward Operating Base (FOB)

You're looking at the defense playback thing on your security settings page right? Like it says (something like) "(12:00) invader appeared" and then you see his little trail through your base, and when he hits the claymore I think it should have a similar popup like "(XX:XX) invader triggered base defense" or something, and then it'll show the time when he passed into the goal.

I don't know if thats in real time or not, but the speed it shows them moving around the platforms isn't real, it just speeds it up because they aren't alerting anyone or doing anything. If you want to be sure, you could always visit your FOB and try timing how long it would take you to sprint there, actually, if the FOB and MB platform layout is the same, you could always do it from MB, would probably take less time

Timeline indicated he sprinted all the way.

Reflex mode and that sniper rifle that is a one hit down probably. If he has a route that only has him walking passed one guard at a time he could just sprint and reflex every guard in his path.

No, he didn't do anything to any of my guards, just sprinted all the way to the exit without any of them or my cameras/drones spotting him.

Which is impossible, I'm sure of it.

I've seen that happen to me with one guy on PS4. I have no idea either, but I'm guessing there's some kind of cheating afoot.

EDIT: The timeline and the way the invader was moving definitely indicates that they were booking it.

Well it's good to see I'm not the only one, sort of. I cannot see how it is possible without stealth camo.

Fobs are bullshit!

Made it all the way to this guys core without alerting, and after already killing him once he respawns invulnerable right at the door sleep grenades me GAME OVER
it's pretty b.s. how the sort of FOB resets once an Defender arrives too... it should be a lot more seamless entry, not a sort of re-matchmaking of the match.

other night I had basically cleared out all the guards on a rather well supported 1/4 and was almost at the Support basement when he appears, and then I'm back to the start again and the main floor is just loaded with guards again.

Phionoxx

Curious to see what (if anything) changes tomorrow as a result of the patch that is coming to enable MGO. They mentioned they would be updating FOB mode as well. Here's to hoping they balance it more in favor of the invaders to try and even it out.

Best case scenario the intruder alert notification doesn't go out until you actually trigger an alarm, and when the defender joins in they should also only get one life. Unlimited lives is a bunch of crap.

wiibomb

I don't get FOBs... no seriously, I went for about 10 minutes into a support base platfom of a another player and I just NEVER got where the finishing infiltrating place was.. the supposed opened door

Is there any guide about it? Like, a seriously good guide

Facism

Logged in after 2 weeks to see myself 1.5 million gmp in the red. Effectively fucked my single player game.

Needs an opt out.

I don't get FOBs... no seriously, I went for about 10 minutes into a support base platfom of a another player and I just NEVER got where the finishing infiltrating place was.. the supposed opened door

theres a staircase leading down to the lower floor that has the door. Took me close to 10 minutes my first time infiltrating a support platform to find it, don't be ashamed, its fucking impossible to find even when you know where it should be :p

Facism

Nah. Just got a load of defence failure alerts as soon as I logged in. Was well in the black when I left it

The Yellow Square. Door will have an arrow on the floor in front of it.

poodpick

Great... a hacker stole my nuke. Not sure how anyone can infilitrate a 4/4 command platform without being detected whatsoever while extracting 17 people

Edit: scratch that it may not have been a hacker

wiibomb

The Yellow Square. Door will have an arrow on the floor in front of it.

Is it visible from the ACC before entering the area? I tried to check but I couldn't see it.

In any case, I finally finished the 5 FOB infiltrations before the deadline for the prizes, I just wanted to have them while experimenting FOBs for a first time

Crypt

Great... a hacker stole my nuke. Not sure how anyone can infilitrate a 4/4 command platform without being detected whatsoever while extracting 17 people

Edit: scratch that it may not have been a hacker

It's really not all that impossible. Getting past the first 3 platforms is pretty easy. You really only have to crawl around on the outside edge of the platform. By the time you get to the actual command platform, you can have marked every soldier, which makes them easy to take down.

The command platforms also make it easy because they have more bridges that you can run along and use to easily scout soldiers or take them out with a sniper.

valkyre

Κonami seriously breaks new ground with FOB Insurnace service!

Its hilarious actually... I cant believe we have reached a point where we are going to renew insurance fees for videogames...

Holly effing shit!

KainXVIII

Did i get achievement for stealing the nuke or i need to develop it (and where can i steal it? what platform? just go to yellow marker?)?

backlot

Did i get achievement for stealing the nuke or i need to develop it (and where can i steal it? what platform? just go to yellow marker?)?

You need to develop one for the achievement. If you want to steal one, look for a base with nukes and go to the command platform. The nukes will be on the deck of the final platform. You have to Fulton them but if you die after Fultoning them you do keep them.

KainXVIII

You need to develop one for the achievement. If you want to steal one, look for a base with nukes and go to the command platform. The nukes will be on the deck of the final platform. You have to Fulton them but if you die after Fultoning them you do keep them.

Thanks!

BadHand

That new security team stuff, weapons and night vision costs between 10000-20000 Precious Metal each, hope you've not been selling any.

I don't think I sold any, 160 hours in and I had about 67500 Precious Metal... I bought both Nightvision Goggles (10000-11000 each), the Grade 7 Tranq Sniper (20000) and Grade 7 Machine Gun (20000) and a Shotgun (6000) for my security team and now I'm out.

xclk07

Aaaaand Konami change how Nuke developed? Like i need online (?!) resources (which i lacked)???

Wait.... what? What is the game telling you that it needs now? It was 75k fuel and 50k minor metal (and 24 hours of in-game time, lol). What did it change to?

I haven't gotten these yet... JUST got high enough to feel comfy about sticking my toes out online with FOBs. This was my next project as soon as all my unprocessed materials processed to the above levels.

ironcreed

Banned
Logged in after 2 weeks to see myself 1.5 million gmp in the red. Effectively fucked my single player game.

Needs an opt out.

Buy some insurance, man!

herman-cain.gif

Needs an opt out.

How much do you spend on security? Did you invade a lot of other people before the 2 weeks?

Before I was regularly going on FOB missions, I'd get MAYBE 1 invasion a week, at the most.

wiibomb

I guess it isn't possible to tranq everyone in a platform? when I try that just someone pops from another place and they just don't stop coming from all directions

(not in alert mode)

Jackpot

Banned
I've a question, during the height of my playing the first time of the day I launched TPP I'd usually get 2-3 FOB messages about attacks. Does this mean when I reinstall TPP some time in the future I'll have like a hundred to cycle through?

KainXVIII

Wait.... what? What is the game telling you that it needs now? It was 75k fuel and 50k minor metal (and 24 hours of in-game time, lol). What did it change to?

I haven't gotten these yet... JUST got high enough to feel comfy about sticking my toes out online with FOBs. This was my next project as soon as all my unprocessed materials processed to the above levels.

I mean this, i clearly has all resources, but no, you need online (? with globe icon) one.

Kenstar

I've intentionally kept my 1 fob underdeveloped to keep me E ranked and matched with the kids who dont know what they're doing. I've got a 2/4 R/D, 1/4 combat, 1/4 intel, my overall FOB level is 14 or something so I can raid the people who don't really pay attention to their defenses easily and skip the 3/4 and 4/4 monstrosities

Security settings dont seem to have much of an effect so much as how many platforms you have, so my 1 base has full security measures. It is easier to complete a 1 base raid, but you only get 40k for doing it and there are easier targets in my range with no drones/sensors/upgraded staff so most people skip over me

xclk07

Also- in the screen shot you have, you don't have enough GMP. It's a little odd though... that globe certainly wasn't there before. Also, I thought only UNPROCESSED materials were stored on FOB with the globe icon... is that something that changed? Now even processed materials can be on the FOB?

Guess I won't be installing this patch for a while if so.

KainXVIII

Also- in the screen shot you have, you don't have enough GMP. It's a little odd though... that globe certainly wasn't there before. Also, I thought only UNPROCESSED materials were stored on FOB with the globe icon... is that something that changed? Now even processed materials can be on the FOB?

Guess I won't be installing this patch for a while if so.

I dunno, yesterday i think i have Minor Metal and GMP for nuke (they were not red)

Dot50Cal

Banned
Does anyone know what this Mosquito FOB Event is all about? I assume this is an AI FOB they setup to attack that has no retaliation, but I dont know for sure. Anyone know?

yeah it's basically just a SP FOB.... no MP involved.

it's based on Mosquito from Mission 22 but it's basically just a typical FOB with typical guards and low security.

you get a S+ rank soldier the 1st time you finish one... it says the "last" one too which I guess means after you've beat all 7... I've been 4 so far so we'll see tonight if after finishing all 7 gets another S+

also curious about his unique PF logo... maybe if you finish all 7 you get the logo

So, let me get this straight to see if I understand what they did here:

1- Dispatch missions now take a lot longer, usually I'd have a few D-E that needed 5-10 minutes, now the smallest one is 14 minutes and the others over 30 minutes.

2- Money and all extra resources over a cap go to the FOB (over 6 of a gun placement, over 3 of a vehicle, 150 of each plant, even processed resources now go there).

3- If you go offline, you'll suddenly lose money (why the hell your money is going to the FOB still baffles me, they are probably keeping that as a backup if you decide to backup your save and cheat losing money and etc).

4- Even with all that, you can still grind offline resources. I thought they would patch this?

Is there anything else? Besides the obvious insurance scam.

backlot

So, let me get this straight to see if I understand what they did here:

1- Dispatch missions now take a lot longer, usually I'd have a few D-E that needed 5-10 minutes, now the smallest one is 14 minutes and the others over 30 minutes.

2- Money and all extra resources over a cap go to the FOB (over 6 of a gun placement, over 3 of a vehicle, 150 of each plant, even processed resources now go there).

3- If you go offline, you'll suddenly lose money (why the hell your money is going to the FOB still baffles me, they are probably keeping that as a backup if you decide to backup your save and cheat losing money and etc).

4- Even with all that, you can still grind offline resources. I thought they would patch this?

Is there anything else?

Not sure if they actually changed offline Dispatch missions. I know they added some online ones.

They also changed the requirements for building a nuke. You need the same amount of resources but they have to be online resources now. So if you have 75k fuel but only 20k is online then you have to find a way to get more online fuel.

Not sure if they actually changed offline Dispatch missions. I know they added some online ones.

They also changed the requirements for building a nuke. You need the same amount of resources but they have to be online resources now. So if you have 75k fuel but only 20k is online then you have to find a way to get more online fuel.

Welp, there goes my Nuke achievement.

Very excited about the defender not getting notified unless you trigger an alert, I'm gonna try my hand ghosting these harder bases since I can take my time and not feel like I'm gonna get reset every time I clear a platform :p

backlot

Very excited about the defender not getting notified unless you trigger an alert, I'm gonna try my hand ghosting these harder bases since I can take my time and not feel like I'm gonna get reset every time I clear a platform :p

Not just alerts but Fultoning anything, killing guards, or destroying security equipment will also supposedly alert defenders. It won't be easy.

Aces&Eights

Selling insurance for a video game almost seems criminal in the literal sense of the word. I mean, Jesus, wouldn't this fall under predatory lending? Do you have to have your credit ran first? Are there tiers based on your FICO score? $29.99/month if you have >700 and $19.00 for those with a low debt to income ratio?

Has Konami completely lost their mind?

Top Bottom