• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Forward Operating Base (FOB)

To help defend someone else's FOB for them do I have to be friends with them in game or something?

Does successfully defending their FOB make me a retaliation target for the attacker?
I've done a dozen defenses, never failed and have never been retaliated against. They can probably see your name when it shows the winner/loser screen though, but there's no search function in FOB.

FINALLY.

Just started my last FOB platform for construction. Will be 4/4 on all MB and FOB platforms in 16 hours.

One tip I can give is forget about stealing unprocessed resources from people, they process in my experience incredibly slow even with 8/8 on base development. Instead farm them from missions. It seems to process much more faster in doing this when you're riding around in that damn truck :lol
Bilogical - 21
Fuel/Minor - 12
Common - 18

Can be done in about 2 minutes per and you can also fulton out some good stats guys as well.

To help defend someone else's FOB for them do I have to be friends with them in game or something?

Does successfully defending their FOB make me a retaliation target for the attacker?

Go on your missions tab on your idroid and go to relationships. You can then select people to back, it's entirely random. You'll get a warning in game about them being attacked and you can choose to go or not. It's usually pretty easy to stop the defender. Just take a rocket launcher or something. As far as I've seen a successful defense does not give them a worm hole.

I've done a dozen defenses, never failed and have never been retaliated against. They can probably see your name when it shows the winner/loser screen though, but there's no search function in FOB.

Go on your missions tab on your idroid and go to relationships. You can then select people to back, it's entirely random. You'll get a warning in game about them being attacked and you can choose to go or not. It's usually pretty easy to stop the defender. Just take a rocket launcher or something. As far as I've seen a successful defense does not give them a worm hole.
Cool. I must give it a go.

what do you get for successfully defending another's FOB? Heroism points?

Roubjon

I just got a red alarm message saying a new mission is available to defend my supporter. But then nothing in the menu allowed me to do it. I'm guessing I missed the chance?

I just got a red alarm message saying a new mission is available to defend my supporter. But then nothing in the menu allowed me to do it. I'm guessing I missed the chance?
There's a short window to select it. I chalk it up the servers being unreliable since I'll miss the chance like seconds after the alert appears.

Sucks when you get the alert during the helicopter intro since that's about as long as you have to join the game.

Roubjon

There's a short window to select it. I chalk it up the servers being unreliable since I'll miss the chance like seconds after the alert appears.

Sucks when you get the alert during the helicopter intro since that's about as long as you have to join the game.

Yeah, I got it during the helicopter ride. Oh well, there will be more.

Erheller

For invading 4/4 bases:

Use a silenced sniper rifle that can one-shot guards. The American semi-auto sniper rifle with an assault rifle magazine is good for this.

Use the side catwalks as much as possible. You can kill a guard in the middle of platforms and it will attract the attention of the guards while you slip by on the sides. Get past the first three platforms as fast as possible. When you're on the bridge going to the last platform, take out the UAV's, then snipe some of the guards on the platform. Make a beeline for the core door, but make sure to not set of any mines. Murder all of the guards you come across, and abuse reflex mode if you need to. You can also get attention away from yourself by throwing decoys or making explosions away from your position.

Basically, skip as much of the first three platforms as possible and silently murder the last platform.

Edit: Try to not do any actions that have a long animation (hanging, jumping on top of a container, ladder climbing, etc.) unless you know a guard won't spot you. If you get spotted in the middle of one of those, your reflex mode probably won't last long enough for the animation to finish, and the whole base will go on combat alert.

MisterMac

I played single player with Reflex off so it never occurred to me that I could turn it on for FOB invasions. I prefer to play without it but that's a pretty sizable advantage to leave on the table. Especially considering those who retaliate against me will almost certainly have Reflex on.

Damn.

KOMANI

KOMANI
I played single player with Reflex off so it never occurred to me that I could turn it on for FOB invasions. I prefer to play without it but that's a pretty sizable advantage to leave on the table. Especially considering those who retaliate against me will almost certainly have Reflex on.

Damn.
My thoughts exactly. FOBs should be an even playing field

Damn.
yeah I play with Markers Off, Reflex Off, item HUD and otherwise all HUD/Detection off, but I'll usually turn it on for FOB Invasions. Too much trouble for Defending, too, and honestly I don't mind giving the Invader a slightly HUD advantage, but I'll definitely turn it on more Invading another 2/4 or higher.

One tip I can give is forget about stealing unprocessed resources from people, they process in my experience incredibly slow even with 8/8 on base development. Instead farm them from missions. It seems to process much more faster in doing this when you're riding around in that damn truck :lol
Bilogical - 21
Fuel/Minor - 12
Common - 18

Can be done in about 2 minutes per and you can also fulton out some good stats guys as well.
What are the numbers referring to there? Is that in a specific farming mission? If so, it would be great to know which mission because that sounds awesome.

What are the numbers referring to there? Is that in a specific farming mission? If so, it would be great to know which mission because that sounds awesome.

These are the mission numbers.

Farming bio:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcfsDZVFPQE

Farming common:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=is106b2pwPo

Farming fuel:
Sort of self explanatory, you start mission 12 with
wormhole
fulton. Get the stuff, read the intel file and restart or return to the ACC.

For all of these, to farm them you get your stuff, get away so the game auto-saves and then restart the mission and you can just keep farming the materials.

dukeoflegs

Just did an FOB and picked a different platform instead of the usual command center one I usually pick. Spent around 5 minutes trying to find the exit, got caught, and the other player came in. Ran around for another 5 minutes trying to find the exit with the other player in the game. Stunned his soldiers, foumd the stairs leading down to the exit, shotgun stunned more dudes, finally died by all the plants, and had a good laugh at myself for not being able to find the exit.

Nvzman

Somebody stole my damn nuke.
I'm gonna freaking get it back, even if I'm going to wipe out half their MB. The 24 hours it took me is not going in vain.

Astral

How do you get your soldiers back? I was using an S+ soldier to infiltrate and I got fultoned by someone's wormhole. How do I get her back?

Vibrant

Banned
How many times can you retaliate? I invaded this dude, he invaded me back, and now it's saying I can retaliate. So it's like a back and forth thing?

By the way, I haven't been able to infiltrate someone with a nuke. How do I do that? It only says that it would be too heroic

You need more heroism, someone probably has the # memorized, but I want to say 180k?

woof, just had the weirdest alert trigger ever... cipher started getting suspicious, popped it well before i would've triggered reflex, and at some point during the cipher's fall into the ocean, after being disabled, FOB went straight to alert. No prior caution, nothing at all that should've caused it :(

I armed as much as I could my one FOB and all its platforms and my highest FOB level (or whatever it's called) is 22. I'm not sure how this works yet but how do I get my level to, say, 40?

For what it's worth my security unit is level 51.

I had someone invade my FOB and he seems to have just sprinted across all 4 command decks and then ran into a mine right before exit, then entered it and won.

How is this possible? I have a high level base with all the upgrades, looking at the map he just ran through them all in the open without triggering any alert. No interaction with guards at all. I'm pretty sure this is impossible since there are guards in the spots he ran past.

Everyone else gets spotted very quick forcing the invader to kill them, and nobody lives past the 2nd deck.

This is on PS4.

I had someone invade my FOB and he seems to have just sprinted across all 4 command decks and then ran into a mine right before exit, then entered it and won.

You're looking at the defense playback thing on your security settings page right? Like it says (something like) "(12:00) invader appeared" and then you see his little trail through your base, and when he hits the claymore I think it should have a similar popup like "(XX:XX) invader triggered base defense" or something, and then it'll show the time when he passed into the goal.

I don't know if thats in real time or not, but the speed it shows them moving around the platforms isn't real, it just speeds it up because they aren't alerting anyone or doing anything. If you want to be sure, you could always visit your FOB and try timing how long it would take you to sprint there, actually, if the FOB and MB platform layout is the same, you could always do it from MB, would probably take less time

MisterMac

I've been targeting the combat platform exclusively. I don't need resources anymore. Don't need GMP anymore. And I've developed everything so I don't really need high ranking soldiers for anything but my combat and security teams. So that's what I do. I raid combat platforms to get combat soldiers to pimp my security team. Nicking some resources along the way just to be a bastard/develop more nukes.

KC Denton

How is this possible? I have a high level base with all the upgrades, looking at the map he just ran through them all in the open without triggering any alert. No interaction with guards at all. I'm pretty sure this is impossible since there are guards in the spots he ran past.

Everyone else gets spotted very quick forcing the invader to kill them, and nobody lives past the 2nd deck.

This is on PS4.

I've seen that happen to me with one guy on PS4. I have no idea either, but I'm guessing there's some kind of cheating afoot.

EDIT: The timeline and the way the invader was moving definitely indicates that they were booking it.

MisterMac

This is on PS4.

Reflex mode and that sniper rifle that is a one hit down probably. If he has a route that only has him walking passed one guard at a time he could just sprint and reflex every guard in his path.

Menthuss

Has anyone really figured out yet what designating key security area's does? Does it affect guard placement or patrol routes?
I designated some area's near the connecting bridge but I don't really see a difference.

Sassen

There is a way to basically walk across the platforms with relative ease, the only thing to worry about is drones and cameras, lol.

Hypron

Somebody stole my damn nuke.
I'm gonna freaking get it back, even if I'm going to wipe out half their MB. The 24 hours it took me is not going in vain.

The first thing I did after building it was dispose of it (for the trophy). I'd have been gutted if someone stole it before I had the chance to do so haha.

Has anyone really figured out yet what designating key security area's does? Does it affect guard placement or patrol routes?
I designated some area's near the connecting bridge but I don't really see a difference.
My impression was that it did... I tested it a lot with towers and it seemed to work when I tested it 2 times with and without, and then also in areas opposite of towers. There was some overlap though and it didn't seem consistent so it was hard to be certain.... made me feel as if it's worth it for me to give it a try in case it makes a difference but not really highly recommend it to others in case I was wrong ;p

BadHand

Is it even possible to invade bases that are at 4/4?

Yes. I'm sneaking into 4/4 bases successfully about 50% of the time.

I basically use the fully upgraded sneaksuit and pretty much roll/crawl through the entire first three Platforms. I take drones out from a distance with a sniper rifle (max penetration) and close proximity guards and cameras out with a silenced shotgun (again, high penetration). Either weapon eats through even the highest level of armor.

I've been doing this all night on support platforms for the fuel reward and command platforms occasionally. Works great assuming a defender doesn't turn up.

Sassen

Is there a limit on how often you can attack FOBs? Was running a bunch tonight and my list decided to stop populating :(

What a load of bullshit, their servers went down while I was clearing out guards, didn't cause an alert or anything and I get disconnected and hit with losing 500 points and a chunk of GMP.

It's bad enough that I'm getting destroyed by other players taking me out... <_< Also don't like that you get an alert that someone is invading before they even set off any sort of alert.

Gui_PT

Hey guys

Probably not a lot of people here playing this on the 360 but feel free to add me as a supporter if you'd like, GT is Monolith Gui

Setsuna

Fobs are bullshit!

Made it all the way to this guys core without alerting, and after already killing him once he respawns invulnerable right at the door sleep grenades me GAME OVER

Top Bottom