• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Forward Operating Base (FOB)

KyleCross

So I just beat mission 22 and the game is forcing me to build an FOB. I do NOT want anything to do with this shit, so my only option is to not complete the mock-infiltration and keep the game offline or else my resources will be at risk?

So I just beat mission 22 and the game is forcing me to build an FOB. I do NOT want anything to do with this shit, so my only option is to not complete the mock-infiltration and keep the game offline or else my resources will be at risk?
None of your resources that you acquire in game are at risk. Think of the FOB resources as a bonus. The only thing you can lose are soldiers so if you want to avoid that keep your security team empty.

Setsuna

My Fob is such a high level and so well equipped that no one wants to attack anymore and those that do always die within 1-2 minutes of getting spotted

Well besides that one guy that wrecked house and survived for 10 minutes

Security team dropped several levels after a guy who's already invaded me twice while I was offline did the same thing yet again and stole about 20 staff members. What the fuck.

KyleCross

None of your resources that you acquire in game are at risk. Think of the FOB resources as a bonus. The only thing you can lose are soldiers so if you want to avoid that keep your security team empty.

I hear your main MB is also at risk, not just the FOB you create and the staff you appoint there.

Why do people keep spreading misinformation? If you keep your security team empty, invaders can just run to the objective and steal core staff members.

creid

such a lust for revenge

Kidnapping soldiers is a sure fire way of taking them away from someone.

Had a dude CQC me while getting hit by me grenade launcher. He manages to wormhole extract me right outside the goal, but he just climbs above it to fight more guards. I respawn and then blow him up. Is there ever any reason to not go through the objective door in such an instance? 'Cause dude was completely in the clear

If the base is on full alert, the invader can't run through the door until the alert is over.

If the base is on full alert, the invader can't run through the door until the alert is over.

Ah, okay.

Damn. If someone can get through my 4/4 platform, then they kind of deserve to take some of my stuff. I wish you could see replays of invasions, or watch live ones (invasions of yours or of others). Must be entertaining.

not if theres another player defending. I've made mad dashes to the exits before while the base was alert.

Also, I don't know why people are so against FOBs. You'll eventually realize the stuff you lose doesn't really matter. I think I have like 120k online fuel resources waiting to be processed. Absolutely fleeced some guys earlier

best advice when sneaking bases with lots of struts is to not get too greedy during the first couple of struts. the 2nd to the last one always has the good stuff.

th4tguy

When you go to set up security for your fob, and you see the cost for doing this (in basic) is that an annual cost or a one time cost?

Defenders being able to spawn right next to you with a few seconds of invincibility is yet another example of fucking godawful design.

Are you talking about people "camping" the capture area by watching their spawn camera, because I guess I agree with you, not really sure how you'd combat that...

Are you talking about people "camping" the capture area by watching their spawn camera, because I guess I agree with you, not really sure how you'd combat that...

Pretty much. Took out a guy multiple times, got to the objective, waited for the alert to die down, and of course he spawns there with a ridiculously long invincibility window.

you can choose to just respawn where you die right beside the guy who killed you too

did that once two nights ago and I had waited until he turned and stuck a few 'nades near his feet... felt pretty darn cheap

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Defenders being able to spawn right next to you with a few seconds of invincibility is yet another example of fucking godawful design.

There is some serious balance issues with the mode. I want to like it, but I can't with these issues. I doubt Konami will allow Kojima to fix it/support it past December, either.

There is some serious balance issues with the mode. I want to like it, but I can't with these issues. I doubt Konami will allow Kojima to fix it/support it past December, either.

This and MGO2 just go to show how fucking incompetent KP is when it comes to basic multiplayer design.

Arttemis

Ah, okay.

Damn. If someone can get through my 4/4 platform, then they kind of deserve to take some of my stuff. I wish you could see replays of invasions, or watch live ones (invasions of yours or of others). Must be entertaining.
Under the security settings, you can see a text-based play-by-play of each invasion on each platform while looking at indicators on the FOB map screen. You see a dotted line move across the map with text telling you a time stamp and what was done (neutralizing guards or UAVs, stealing resources, fultoning guards) with an icon on the map where it happens.

Also I don't think CQC throws should be a one shot incapacitation. They are the weakest CQC option, maybe two throws but not one imo.

Against other players I mean. Against NPCs it's fine.

This and MGO2 just go to show how fucking incompetent KP is when it comes to basic multiplayer design.
which is odd because I think they have really great level design.... level design in a MP sense

even guardposts in SP sometimes strike me as very well designed in a defensive gameplay sense, just the logic of their layout.

and FOBs (or Mother Base, indirectly) are pretty awesome in terms of design for MP layout or even asynchronous MP layout. FOBs have pretty awesome level design when you look at the pure design and gameplay within.

all the problems seem to stem from the other elements of MP design being incompetent, such as item balance, respawn, Marking, etc basically almost ruining great tactical level design with chaotic, messy sort of grenade spamming or semi-auto rifle no-scoping deathmatching ;p

which is odd because I think they have really great level design.... level design in a MP sense

even guardposts in SP sometimes strike me as very well designed in a defensive gameplay sense, just the logic of their layout.

and FOBs (or Mother Base, indirectly) are pretty awesome in terms of design for MP layout or even asynchronous MP layout. FOBs have pretty awesome level design when you look at the pure design and gameplay within.

all the problems seem to stem from the other elements of MP design being incompetent, such as item balance, respawn, Marking, etc basically almost ruining great tactical level design with chaotic, messy sort of grenade spamming or semi-auto rifle no-scoping deathmatching ;p

Currently the best way to kill someone in FOB is using the semi-auto snipers along with grenade launcher attachment. Or the Brennan Anti-material rifle as well I suppose since I hear that knocks people down and kills them with a single shot (even more damage than the semi-auto sniper).

Close range you can use a shotgun for the knockdown and subsequent kill.

I am assuming that in MGO people aren't going to be able to just put grenade launchers on their rifles, because if they did everyone would just use that since they are so easy to kill with.

Managed to fight my way through a defender and his guards and actually win for once. Defender decided to just camp in one spot while I sniped his soldiers one by one as he repeatedly tried and failed to snipe me, resulting in him quitting. Lost a lot of heroism, though.

KOMANI

KOMANI
Managed to fight my way through a defender and his guards and actually win for once. Defender decided to just camp in one spot while I sniped his soldiers one by one as he repeatedly tried and failed to snipe me, resulting in him quitting. Lost a lot of heroism, though.
If you visit the animal conservation you can reverse those demon points (I know you were talking about heroism, I just thought I'd add that if you were cautious on the demon points as well).

Currently the best way to kill someone in FOB is using the semi-auto snipers along with grenade launcher attachment. Or the Brennan Anti-material rifle as well I suppose since I hear that knocks people down and kills them with a single shot (even more damage than the semi-auto sniper).
What about the semi-auto Brennan/Barret?

malfcn

So I disabled all of a platforms guards and started to steal everything. Ran out of fulton recovery devices. 😕

Which one is that? The off-shoot one that doesn't have any upgrades? Haven't tried it but I Don't think you can fit a silencer on it. Although I guess that doesn't matter if you're using it to defend.

It's the "Serval" that's semi-auto. Once you upgrade the Brennan to level 6, you can put that silencer on the the Serval.

Hatchtag

Banned
Is it just me or are ledges much more finnicky in this? Twice today I've fallen to my death because I was sure Big Boss was gonna snap onto something.

Pretty much. Took out a guy multiple times, got to the objective, waited for the alert to die down, and of course he spawns there with a ridiculously long invincibility window.

Wellllllll I'm gonna have to dock you points for knowingly sitting at one of the three spawn-points for more than 20 seconds... With that said, if you had hid somewhere else and he had just sprinted over to you with his invincibility, then yeah, still bullshit.

I'm having good results running the sleep grenade launcher, by itself or on an AR, with the silenced sniper and uragan for knockdowns, shit is ridiculous. Also not sure why anyone would try infiltrating the support platform, its literally the worst designed platform if the defender shows up. All I need to do is sit at the bottom of the stairs with a sleep grenade launcher :p

A little bummed I can't shout simple commands to my security team, stuff like "re-group," "spread out" or maybe "investigate over here."

Erheller

Anyone here have trouble with resources when invading? I just ran out of African Peaches. Used too many sleeping gas mines and grenades.

Is it just me or are ledges much more finnicky in this? Twice today I've fallen to my death because I was sure Big Boss was gonna snap onto something.

There are definitely some evil ledges on one of the central platforms (Command?) that give you the fence-hop action instead of the hang-off-the-side action. And they're high enough to make you fall to your death. I'm pretty sure it's an oversight by the level designers.

Hatchtag

Banned
Anyone here have trouble with resources when invading? I just ran out of African Peaches. Used too many sleeping gas mines and grenades.

There are definitely some evil ledges on one of the central platforms (Command?) that give you the fence-hop action instead of the hang-off-the-side action. And they're high enough to make you fall to your death. I'm pretty sure it's an oversight by the level designers.

It's a really annoying oversight, too, especially when some of the best places to confuse guards can be around the ledges. Confusing like eight gaurds one by one and fultoning them, then falling to your death right before you start making your way deeper into a base is just frustrating.

Hypron

What are the advantages of making your security team use non-lethal weapons? Can they even dispose of the invader or do you need to be there to defend your platform and Fulton him out?

Erheller

It's a really annoying oversight, too, especially when some of the best places to confuse guards can be around the ledges. Confusing like eight gaurds one by one and fultoning them, then falling to your death right before you start making your way deeper into a base is just frustrating.

I wish the game had a way to let you hop a railing or hang off the side. There are several instances where I've wanted to just hop down but Snake just hangs off the side and I have to press another button to get to the ground.

Maybe a system where tapping the action button (or holding it from before you hit the railing, like how you can hold the action button to quickly climb ledges) lets you hop over the railing and holding the action button within range lets you hang could work.

Wellllllll I'm gonna have to dock you points for knowingly sitting at one of the three spawn-points for more than 20 seconds... With that said, if you had hid somewhere else and he had just sprinted over to you with his invincibility, then yeah, still bullshit.
Competent multiplayer modes make it so that a spawn point is blocked off if opponents are too close by. This is not a competent multiplayer mode.

Competent multiplayer modes make it so that a spawn point is blocked off if opponents are too close by. This is not a competent multiplayer mode.

Yeah, lol. After and invader CQC'd and fultoned me, I was mashing the X button over the closest spawn point, thinking it was locked. Turned out I could respawn there immediately, once the timer ticked down.

Then I grenade laucnher'd the dude in seconds. I think I have a recording.

Tried out Infiltration and it was interesting to say the least. Few success came without getting spotted (or in my case, headshotting people via reflex mode); most came from just killing everyone. Still haven't had success that involved taking out a defender.

Two of the biggest issues I have so far:

1. Losing heroism when I kill a NPC. Why should I be penalized for killing some poor sob, especially if I get spotted and have to probably waste at least 20+ soldiers before they stop spawning?

2. Not having the ability to pick up a NPC's weapon once they're taking out. This became really annoying when I tried infiltrating a FOB with a grenade launcher and rocket launcher equipped and couldn't pick up the various assault rifles and LMGs that were lying around when I was running low on ammo

As for retaliations, I really don't care about that. I still only have my lone Command Platform built so if they wanna wreck shit there, be my guest. I did have one person retaliate after I failed to infiltrate their FOB so I might return the favor just for fun

Tried out Infiltration and it was interesting to say the least. Few success came without getting spotted (or in my case, headshotting people via reflex mode); most came from just killing everyone. Still haven't had success that involved taking out a defender.

Two of the biggest issues I have so far:

1. Losing heroism when I kill a NPC. Why should I be penalized for killing some poor sob, especially if I get spotted and have to probably waste at least 20+ soldiers before they stop spawning?

2. Not having the ability to pick up a NPC's weapon once they're taking out. This became really annoying when I tried infiltrating a FOB with a grenade launcher and rocket launcher equipped and couldn't pick up the various assault rifles and LMGs that were lying around when I was running low on ammo

As for retaliations, I really don't care about that. I still only have my lone Command Platform built so if they wanna wreck shit there, be my guest. I did have one person retaliate after I failed to infiltrate their FOB so I might return the favor just for fun

Lmao. You're knowingly breaking into someone's base to possibly steal their offline resources/staff. Saying it's unfair to lose heroism for that is the silliest complaint. It certainly could use some balance fixes, but the odds will be stacked against invaders.

The distance on Snake's sonar should be decreased though. I used it against an invader the other day and it spotted him from another platform (a 2/4 one) as he was the only one on there. Two seconds later, I hit him with a rocket as he's climbing a pipe and he tumbles into the ocean...

SomTervo

I just got back from a week's holiday in Sweden, and guess what?

All my fucking fuel is gone.

I have been away from the game, physically incapable of being near it, looking at it, or turning it on, and I'm punished fucking severely.

From now on I'm disconnecting at the end of every play session. (Don't know if that even helps. Might disagree to the Online Agreement.) On my Subsistence PC Mod playthrough I'm going to be doing everything I can to stay off the FOB system.

It's a pity, because I actually like the FOB infiltrations and think it's a good idea. Just forcing this shit like that is really fucking bad. A cancerous blemish on an otherwise mindblowing singleplayer experience.

Tried out FOB for the first time on PC and it's pretty fun! I only had one player come in to defend their base as I was invading and I smoked them with my giant sniper rifle. How fast is the respawn timer for the defender? I'm pretty sure they came back quite quickly and destroyed me with an anti-air gun before some unfortunately laggy stuff happened and my opponent disconnected.

backlot

I just got back from a week's holiday in Sweden, and guess what?

All my fucking fuel is gone.

I have been away from the game, physically incapable of being near it, looking at it, or turning it on, and I'm punished fucking severely.

From now on I'm disconnecting at the end of every play session. (Don't know if that even helps. Might disagree to the Online Agreement.) On my Subsistence PC Mod playthrough I'm going to be doing everything I can to stay off the FOB system.

It's a pity, because I actually like the FOB infiltrations and think it's a good idea. Just forcing this shit like that is really fucking bad. A cancerous blemish on an otherwise mindblowing singleplayer experience.

Are you sure it didn't just get processed?

Top Bottom