• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Dev Talks Free DLC, Attracting New Players, and Fair Microtransactions

etta

my hard graphic balls
Halo 5 Dev Talks Free DLC, Attracting New Players, and Fair Microtransactions

After the issues with Halo: The Master Chief Collection, what are you doing to ensure Halo 5 has a smooth roll-out?

Our biggest thing is that Halo 5 is built from the ground up for Xbox One. All the technology is really lined up. There's only one network layer, we're not trying to build three to four different games in one. That's given us a huge advantage. We did our beta almost a year ago now, that gave us a whole bunch of time to stress test our servers and make sure everything was running, and work through some problems.

What did you learn from the Halo 5 beta last year with the subsequent feedback and how has that changed the Arena's multiplayer as a result?

It was kind of crazy to have a beta that early. Normally you have them, and you don't have time to change anything. This time we had tons to change. We changed ground pound, the whole way that entire feature worked. We changed a lot of the little tuners around escapability. Things like thrust, thrust recharge, the way sprint worked. We also changed the map. Several of the maps have completely different sight lines and paths changed directly in result to the beta feedback.
On top of that, we've also taken feedback from a lot of the pros. Like hey, do you have confidence in shoulder charging, do you have confidence in ground pound, do you think we should be keeping these things even if we fix them, are you cool with thrust always on?

You're taking a unique approach to DLC by offering all maps free for the first year--why are you doing this and do you think it will become the norm in the industry?

I certainly hope it becomes the norm!
There's two reasons we're doing this. One, we decided from the get-go that we wanted to make a very big investment in our players. We didn't just want to release a game and hope it worked. We wanted to say okay, this is an investment in our players. So we're revealing two completely different multiplayer experiences. We're going at it big, we're giving them dedicated servers, so it really felt natural, when it came to the DLC question, to put all of our players in one place. With Halo 4, you could have the season pass, DLC 1, DLC 2, DLC 3, and all of a sudden you have six different buckets and players have to make decisions about whether they play new content or with their friends.
We just couldn't solve that in game design. The solution was to put everyone in the same playlist. The benefit of this is it's going to give us better match-making, because there's less buckets people have to filter through, everybody has access to the same content, it's going to give us a lot more focus on when we want to start adding things. So that was the biggest deal for us when we were making that decision.

Pretty interesting interview. Read the article for the remainder of the interview.

There's also this:

Halo 5 Microtransaction Pricing Revealed

Halo 5 REQ Pack/Microtransaction Pricing Details

Bronze:

In-game currency cost: 1250 RP
Real-world money cost: not offered
Silver:

In-game currency cost: 5000 RP
Real-world money cost: $2
Gold:

In-game currency cost: 10,000 RP
Real-world money cost: $3
343 explained that in-game pricing has been set so that players can afford at least one REQ Pack for every other game played. You should expect to earn around 2000 RP for every Warzone game played, meaning it won't take very long to reach Silver or Gold status. In addition, everyone gets 7500 RP to start.

On top of these three REQ Packs, Microsoft will offer a Warzone REQ Bundle, which comes with two "Premium" packs every week for seven weeks (for a total of 14). This bundle is included with the Halo 5 premium bundles, or it can be purchased separately for $25.

"Everything you can get in the REQ system, you can earn whether you spend money or not," he said. "There's no crazy special items that are only going to be reserved for people who spend a lot more money. Also, you get a lot of rewards whether you're playing Arena or Warzone, so you're always going to have a ton of stuff that you'll be able to use. The biggest thing for us the moment we started even talking about this system was that the game has to be balanced. At the end of the day, it's a multiplayer game. It's not a spend-more-to-win game. We wanted to make sure that if you spend a whole ton of money, and you thought you could get five scorpions just because you spent more money, it's not going to work. You're still going to have to earn the right to call these scorpions into the battlefield.

More on REQ transactions

Bronze: Bronze REQ Packs include Common, single use REQs, but is likely to unlock a new permanent REQ (if you haven’t already unlocked all of them).

(UPDATE)Silver: Silver REQ Packs include Common to Rare REQs with the added value of two new permanent REQs (if you haven’t already unlocked all of them).

Gold: Gold REQ Packs contain a large number of REQs ranging from Uncommon to Legendary. Players are guaranteed two new permanent REQs (if you haven’t already unlocked all of them).

To add to this, this site is working now and gives a weapon skin when you watch all the video clips

http://experience-halo-5-guardians.xbox.com

I haven't seen this posted or show up in Google search. Lock if old.

farisr

It's cool that they're doing free DLC maps, but why does it say "for the first year" I haven't been following the game closely, due to mostly a media blackout, but did we know this already?

Akai__

You're taking a unique approach to DLC by offering all maps free for the first year--why are you doing this and do you think it will become the norm in the industry?

I certainly hope it becomes the norm!

Me too. It's never a good idea to split your userbase with MP map DLC.

It's cool that they're doing free DLC maps, but why does it say "for the first year" I haven't been following the game closely, due to mostly a media blackout, but did we know this already?

They are doing free DLC (15 maps and hundreds of REQ items) until June 2016 and haven't said anything about what happens afterwards.

I just hope to god the game works right on launch day, with Fallout 4 and SW: Battlefront coming out shortly afterwards if Halo 5 doesn't work properly on release day I'll probably be trading it in towards one of those other games. I can't be bothered to wait around for 6+ months waiting for the developers to get their shit together and fix their broken game anymore. Especially when I can just go and play something different that actually works.

Ein Bear

This sort of thing really is the perfect implementation of microtransactions. Free DLC updates that keep the community from being split and make it healthier in general for a longer time - it's a win-win for everyone involved. Very happy that 343 are going this route.

The comments about them completely changing how the ground pound works based on beta feedback is interesting. I never actually played the beta, how has it changed?

wwm0nkey

So PvZ take on REQ packs? Thank god! PvZ did Microtransactions right because you either played and earned them, or just bought them if you were feeling lazy lol

These microtransacions are worth dedicated servers for multiplayer, coop campaign, and custom games + 15 free maps.

The permanent weapon unlocks are in the bronze tier, so do you rush those with the initial 7500 RP you receive?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Literally a boring accounting rule. FIscal year.

So PvZ take on REQ packs? Thank god! PvZ did Microtransactions right because you either played and earned them, or just bought them if you were feeling lazy lol
Precisely.

Bout the only legit way to do this microtransaction thing. Free DLC maps/modes to keep the player base together and engage for the long haul, cosmetic/Warzone stuff you can earn in-game and/or buy if you're just in a hurry/lazy.

Stinkles

I still don't see how they can attract new fans with this overly convoluted REQ system in place. The REQ alone makes me want to hold off on getting this day one. I watched that tutorial video and it just frustrated me as I see no point to it.

Well you can ignore it even in Warzone. You can still play and succeed without ever burning a card.

Glass

The post launch content plan sounds really solid. I didn't realise til today, the additional content is actually each month and not just 'sometime in the subsequent months'. Cant wait to see what gets added.

I wonder if any of it will be themed. E.g one month could be the 'Lethbridge Industrial ' package, where all the gear is themed around that companies brand colours for weapon skins etc.

Outrun

I am looking forward to experience how the req system works for myself in Warzone.

I am also a sucker for cosmetic items like FOTUS, Gugnir, and Venator etc....

The 27th cant come soon enough. But at least we have another issue of Escalation and a few more Hunt the Truth episodes to tide us over.

Vire

Curious how successful these micro transactions will be. I'm always amazed at people willing to shell out double figures just for some Assault Rifle with a pink stripe on it.

Like... Why?

Be my guest though and pay for my map DLC.

I'm fully on board for this post-game content plan. In terms of efficacy, it sounds like it'll be far more efficient at keeping players engaged and committed than the plan with Halo 4 DLC.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
I still don't see how they can attract new fans with this overly convoluted REQ system in place. The REQ alone makes me want to hold off on getting this day one. I watched that tutorial video and it just frustrated me as I see no point to it.

I have to say I find it a little complicated. I think something essential like that should not make me think "i've to read more into that"

wwm0nkey

Curious how successful these micro transactions will be. I'm always amazed at people willing to shell out double figures just for some Assault Rifle with a pink stripe on it.

Like... Why?

As weird as it might seem I always saw the way PvZ did it as a dontation button with extra stuff for the game lol I liked the game enough so I wanted to show some support for the devs.

Dibils2k

so we pay to get random items? hmm i would prefer to just pay for what i want but looks like a very fair system indeed

Vire

As weird as it might seem I always saw the way PvZ did it as a dontation button with extra stuff for the game lol I liked the game enough so I wanted to show some support for the devs.
I do that for small dev teams like the Rocket League team, Psyonix. But EA and Microsoft really don't need my extra pennies.

Bsigg12

Like... Why?

Those REQ packs also contain weapons, vehicles and powerups to be used in Warzone. If someone feels like they need to quickly restock their REQ cards, they could buy a couple Gold packs that give 2 guaranteed permanent unlocks of a higher quality per pack plus an assortment of things for Warzone.

I personally won't be buying any with real money but if it's covering the costs of map packs, I have no problem with the system.

Stinkles

Stinkles, in mp in general, are there not stations available during mp play?

My concern is that this disrupts online play as one member of a team goes to make some req purchases rendering his other mates outnumbered. If i understand this correctly, this could end friendships (/hyperbole) :( and create incentive to ignore marchmaking

I'm confused. It's only in warzone, no other modes. And you can use stations upon spawning in a base, ignore completely or head for them when your team levels up in game.

The transactions are a matter of seconds and won't impact a match negatively at all.

Chris1

Doesn't seem too bad to earn packs just by playing. I hope this free DLC plan takes off successfully for the devs so we see more of it, there's nothing worse than splitting up your userbase especially in FPS and it's sure to keep the playerbase around longer than paid DLC would.

Halo 5, Titanfall and Rainbow 6 Seige all making DLC free/have plans to, only games left with paid map packs is CoD, Gears (?) and Battlefield/front. So far so good at least.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
I'm confused. It's only in warzone, no other modes. And you can use stations upon spawning in a base, ignore completely or head for them when your team levels up in game.

The transactions are a matter of seconds and won't impact a match negatively at all.

maybe this should be made clear once again for people who are not as into games as people on neogaf. :)

Glass

REQ System Tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eN_tD5y6k6s

Obviously haven't tried it yet, but from the sounds of the system it seems like microtransactions done right, and the Likes to Dislike ratio on the Req System video explaining it seem to reflect that, especially considering it's a video announcing microtransactions for the first time in a franchise. Being YouTube you'd expect a ton of shit posting and dislikes, but it's seem to have gone down well.

Of course that could just be the Mister Chief effect.

Vico

Frankie, can you write the first weekly update once Halo 5 launches? For good ol' times sake.

I remember, a while ago (long before Halo 4 was released), some people asked him to do it, and he actually did the next update as a result. I'd love that to happen again.

Deku Tree

Does anyone know yet how long it takes to unlock through normal play the stuff that you can buy with MTs like the Spartan tank etc? And do we have pricing info on the different MTs?

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone know yet how long it takes to unlock through normal play the stuff that you can buy with MTs like the Spartan tank etc? And do we have pricing info on the different MTs?

We’ve set pricing to make sure players can afford at least one REQ Pack every other game played. So, to obtain these packs with in-game currency will cost 1250RP (Bronze), 5000RP (Silver) and 10000RP (Gold). Remember, on average you’ll be earning roughly 2000RP per Warzone game played. Additionally, we also offer the option to purchase Silver and Gold packs at a cost of $1.99 and $2.99 (USD).

does this help you?

Free Dlc maps are maps that are already made long ago during development but spread out over time
That's a pretty cynical take on it. There are plenty of games that have released post launch content including maps for free without having developed it all beforehand. At least half of the free splatoon maps weren't on disc (confirmed by data miners) for instance, and f2p PC games like LOL and DOTA regularly release new content funded by microtransactions.

Edit: on topic, BTB will be free from this REQ pack stuff it seems, so if you don't play war zone it should affect stuff. Interested to see if there are enough whales in the halo community to buy these packs and fund it for the rest of us, or if this model will end up working differently from most f2p mobile games where 5-10% of users pay for everyone.

E92 M3

I remember, a while ago (long before Halo 4 was released), some people asked him to do it, and he actually did the next update as a result. I'd love that to happen again.

I don't think he wants to now since he skipped my question lol

I have zero issues with these microtransactions. This DLC plan is about as good as it gets.

Bedlam

That DLC model sounds great.

Maybe the MT's won't make them as much money in the short-term as some of the ripoff monetization models out there but it will also not alienate a lot of players.

Free Dlc maps are maps that are already made long ago during development but spread out over time

Way to be misinformed and spread misinformation. You have credible sources to back up that blanket statement?

343 has a great chance to win back an amazing community I hope this plays out well for them.

Deku Tree

does this help you?

Yes thanks.

So I'm not trying to troll and I don't want to start an argument but I want to be sure that I understand how the MTs work... Since the article and the Title calls them "fair MTs".

So I can earn around 2000 points per game, and points allow me to buy things like scorpion tanks, and you can earn the right to use scorpion tanks that you have bought at some point in the middle of each war zone game based upon my performance and the performance of my team mates.

You can't buy the right to use a tank in game, you have to earn that each game, but you can buy the equipment for cash. You can buy or earn Bronze, Silver, and Gold package equipment.

But you can keep buying new gold tier OP equipment each game with real world cash? Whereas it would take you on average about five games to earn the right in game buy gold tier packages. Is that right?

I get that there is a trade off for free maps. But unless I misunderstand the system then it doesn't really sound like a "fair" non p2w PvP mode to me.

Edit: or once you bought a scorpion tank do you get to keep it forever... That would be more Fair than the way I was thinking about it in the last paragraph.

Top Bottom