• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Maker Update Next Week to Include Checkpoints and Event Courses

ffdgh

People are as genuinely upset about no slopes as they were about no Waluigi in Mario Kart 7...not really at all.

They will scream bloody murder but nope, not buying it.

Wha? People were legitimately pissed 7 left out waluigi especially when his own dang track got in...and for that bee replacing him lol.

Wha? People were legitimately pissed 7 left out waluigi especially when his own dang track got in...and for that bee replacing him lol.

I just was appalled that some said the game was a no-buy because of that.

It made me laugh hysterically and I even really like him.

Never speak disparagingly again about the Queen of Honey.

(I like her better than Rosalina)

ffdgh

I just was appalled that some said the game was a no-buy because of that.

It made me laugh hysterically and I even really like him.

Never speak disparagingly again about the Queen of Honey.

(I like her better than Rosalina)

Can't hate on good taste lol. Shame honey queen and wiggler were the only new characters from 7 that didn't make it in 8...wild wiggler aside.

MrPanic

That's a great update, checkpoints and the classic powerup system is exactly what the game was missing. Definitely jumping back on the game after this update drops.

whipihguh

Banned
They need to do the "slide" pose for every single costume, besides programing all the enemy behaviors while on slopes.

If ever happens will be paid dlc
Or: Slopes aren't available in the SMB1 template. Boom. Problem solved. Treat it as a unique feature for the other three templates, like they do with the other unique template features. And it's not like they don't have other Mario games with slopes to base their programming off of...

You might be right, it could be paid DLC, but if we are going to get more DLC, we will absolutely be getting slopes. There's plenty of other features I'd like to see implemented, but slopes are certainly demand #1.

But that shit don't matter right now. I'm just glad we're getting checkpoints and conditional power-ups.

I'm not holding my breath for slopes. I think the game was designed around making SMB1 levels and then they added NSMB halfway through and changed the game to be able to seamlessly switch between the 2. When the game was first shown, it was just SMB1. Then they added NSMB and even later on they showed the SMB3 and SMW graphics. I think they'll leave really big changes for a sequel.

sheaaaa

If fucking slopes - SLOPES - are the headline, selling, marquee feature for the first paid Mario Maker DLC, Nintendo will be squandering an opportunity for something really special. Hell, this free update is far more impressive to diehards and the layperson than slopes.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Slops would impress me given how hard they'd be to implement with the UI they have. They'd have to do it the Nintendo way and make them easy to use and not too complicated. I'd assume they'd be sort of like the platform entity where the width and height denotes the angle. And shaking would reverse the slope.

Cross your fingers. Just forget that SMB1 didn't have them and just fuck it all. (SMB didn't have a lot of things they allow. Hell, this game is full of unholy things no Mario game has ever had yet.)

I went to Wal*Mart today hoping to find a copy and no dice. They had two Wii U limited editions but no games or LE at all. I was sad. Not even an Amiibo for it. (Though I was tempted to buy a Luigi, Bowser and a Yoshi's Epic Yarn LE with Amiibo. Fuck, I should have gotten Yoshi.)

jariw

I'm not holding my breath for slopes. I think the game was designed around making SMB1 levels and then they added NSMB halfway through and changed the game to be able to seamlessly switch between the 2. When the game was first shown, it was just SMB1. Then they added NSMB and even later on they showed the SMB3 and SMW graphics. I think they'll leave really big changes for a sequel.

When the game was first shown at E3 2014, it had both SMB1 and NSMBU graphics in the announcement trailer.

But yeah, the whole product has become a 30th anniversary thing now, so anything that didn't appear in SMB1 is a bonus.

They need to do the "slide" pose for every single costume, besides programing all the enemy behaviors while on slopes.

If ever happens will be paid dlc
Or they just don't let SMB have a slide action like all of the other actions SMB can't do but the other styles can.

Based on Smash we already know they have slope assets made.

An incredibly small part of Mario Kart fans were pissed. Most people didn't give a shit, or at the very least just said "that's a shame, but it's not a big deal".

RagnarokX

The game was designed as in-house development tool for future NSMB games.

I'd say the biggest complication for slopes is the fact that they don't fit in half of the themes the game has. SMW had like 1 castle or fort that had a slope, but it was an escalator. Ghost Houses have had staircases, but they've always been sloped bridges. Castles, Airships, and Ghost Houses just don't do slopes. And Nintendo probably felt their omission wasn't that big of a deal since even among the themes where slopes have been used slopes weren't really that common or important until the NSMB games. I mean, SMB3 has slopes... in 16 levels. Mostly grass, desert, and underground levels.

Cutting ground tiles in half and adding a bit of shading to the top of them isn't really a big deal. That's pretty much exactly what they did for the Smash stage.

They made entire new themes for SMB, SMB3 and SMW, I'm sure some slope tiles for a few of the themes are no big deal at all.

georly

The game was designed as in-house development tool for future NSMB games.

I'd say the biggest complication for slopes is the fact that they don't fit in half of the themes the game has. SMW had like 1 castle or fort that had a slope, but it was an escalator. Ghost Houses have had staircases, but they've always been sloped bridges. Castles, Airships, and Ghost Houses just don't do slopes. And Nintendo probably felt their omission wasn't that big of a deal since even among the themes where slopes have been used slopes weren't really that common or important until the NSMB games. I mean, SMB3 has slopes... in 16 levels. Mostly grass, desert, and underground levels.

While I 100% agree with you, you forget one really key point:

Sliding down a slope and killing a ton of goombas is fun as hell.

RagnarokX

While I 100% agree with you, you forget one really key point:

Sliding down a slope and killing a ton of goombas is fun as hell.

I didn't forget it. I want slopes.

I'm just pointing out that it's not as glaring an omission as people make it seem and the reasons Nintendo probably didn't include them. People probably shouldn't get there hopes up because half of the themes not being slope-friendly is probably reason enough for Nintendo to never add them.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Well only SMB1 didn't have slopes. All the other games did. And if they implement them how I suggested they'd work well enough.

I hope they add a SMB2j theme at some point that does a couple things:
Poison mushrooms
Red more persistent piranha plants (Come out of pipes even if you are next to it)
Texture changes to match the Japanese SMB2 tiles
Possibly wind as modifier in the same vein as the shitty fuzzy effect

Then later they can add in some SMB2 USA elements as extras like Shyguys and other enemies and some textures. Just as a fun theme that isn't trying to actually emulate the game. Imagine being able to use the Shyguys as a platform across spikes.

I didn't forget it. I want slopes.

I'm just pointing out that it's not as glaring an omission as people make it seem and the reasons Nintendo probably didn't include them. People probably shouldn't get there hopes up because half of the themes not being slope-friendly is probably reason enough for Nintendo to never add them.

SMB didn't have air ships or ghost houses, SMB3 didn't have ghost houses and SMW didn't have airships.

It never stopped any of those from being themes or any of the items from those themes from being added.

cloudyboy

Neo Member
Said this numerous time but I don't expect to see anymore nintendo directs till next year

Checkpoints is well welcomed

Look like you got your expectations wrong.

Anyway, checkpoints are a nice addition, but the temporary checkpoint systems where quite nice too! I wonder if this will make levels more bearable, but on the other side it might make expert even more unbearable.

slope would be nice too, but I do not expect them as they would probably look a bit weird in the original mario bros, and there will also be a need for sliding animation.

If fucking slopes - SLOPES - are the headline, selling, marquee feature for the first paid Mario Maker DLC, Nintendo will be squandering an opportunity for something really special. Hell, this free update is far more impressive to diehards and the layperson than slopes.

Slopes are a gargantuan improvement for a lot of stages and drastically improves situations where you have to do a lot of ascension.

RagnarokX

SMB didn't have air ships or ghost houses, SMB3 didn't have ghost houses and SMW didn't have airships.

It never stopped any of those from being themes or any of the items from those themes from being added.

Right, and again, ghost houses and airships don't have sloped ground tiles in any game, so they already fit with the tool set which works with 100% of the themes. Slopes, the other hand, only fit with 50% of the themes in the game. I'm including underwater in that, which is being generous. In other words, making tiles for themes certain games lacked made sense while making a tool that has fairly limited applications was likely seen as not worth the effort. I mean, they could obviously make assets, but they would look so wrong. The way they did things, you could change between any theme and everything would pretty much still make sense, but, for example, if you changed this into a castle you'd probably want to get rid of the slope because it would look stupid. Not to mention they would be so out of place in any SMB1 level regardless of theme.

Hopefully Nintendo figures something out, but I think people undersell how complicated the issue is.

Wouldn't a proper solution be:

1. Grassland, underground, and underwater slopes are normal
2. Airship, castle, and boo house are ramps (ie, they would have a railing system that logically corresponds to the theme - Boo Houses have rotted wood, airships have rope-based railings, and castle has stone railings)

RagnarokX

Wouldn't a proper solution be:

1. Grassland, underground, and underwater slopes are normal
2. Airship, castle, and boo house are ramps (ie, they would have a railing system that logically corresponds to the theme - Boo Houses have rotted wood, airships have rope-based railings, and castle has stone railings)
I would say airship, castle, and ghost house would have staircases. Staircases are common in ghost houses, though they've always been angled bridges (another nice tool to add). The issue from there is, as in my example, hills should have gradient slopes, but stairs should not. Do they just let players sort that out or disallow all but 45 degree angle slopes (dependent on theme?)?

Since a slope tool would be DLC, I imagine the easiest solution for Nintendo would be to have it only work for themes that typically have slopes and have the slope tiles become squares in other themes. The tool would just not work for SMB at all. I imagine such a tool would be added if they add new themes that could use it, such as desert and ice.

And add the ability to shake bridges to make stairs, please.

The Smash stage only has 45 degree angles

It wouldn't even need to be a new tool. Shake a ground block. Makes a slope. Shake it again to rotate it.

Literally exactly the same system the railings use for gradual bends.

I think you're way over thinking it.

Blues1990

I'm still holding out hope for the Frog, Tanooki, and Hammer Bros. costumes to be added to the game, as well as any additional power-ups for the other Mario Bros. games. I think it would be great if there was a way for the mentioned power-ups to be added to the other game's styles. (Goomba Shoe in NSMBU or Yoshi in Super Mario Bros.? Yes, please!)

Kouriozan

I knew it about hard mode gnat costume, I'll never be able to get 100% of the costumes now, normal was already super hard >.<

Top Bottom