• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Maker Update Next Week to Include Checkpoints and Event Courses

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Not sure I agree with this.
Checkpoint isn't going to make kaizo blocks more enjoyable. Not going to make troll levels more enjoyable. Not going to make most of the difficult levels I've seen in Mario Maker more enjoyable. It will make them more tolerable. A well designed level don't NEED checkpoints. Anyways, obviously I welcome this new feature, but I really wish makers will focus on better designed levels. GAF is the rare exceptions mostly, and I think checkpoints will help a lot of levels from GAF of course.

kamakazi5

I finally got my wife to play this last night and one of the first things she asked was why she was able to get a fire flower when she was small so she will like that. I only care about the checkpoints.

Guys guys guys. As much as I love having checkpoints and all that, you should never ever design a level that NEED checkpoint. That means it is too long and too difficult. Having a checkpoint will make those levels more tolerable but most difficult Mario Maker levels are just not fun and checkpoint won't fix that problem.
No, checkpoints allow longer and more in depth levels without frustration. Even a moderate level can become frustrating if its long since if you just die once you have to do everything all over again. Checkpoints fix that. Thry basically increase the 'threshold' of how long a level can be without being frustrating.

Now if we could just get slopes, I would never have to play another Mario game again...

This is absolutely a long-overdue addition, but at least it shows they're listening to feedback. Can't wait!

MrBadger

Checkpoint isn't going to make kaizo blocks more enjoyable. Not going to make troll levels more enjoyable. Not going to make most of the difficult levels I've seen in Mario Maker more enjoyable. It will make them more tolerable. A well designed level don't NEED checkpoints. Anyways, obviously I welcome this new feature, but I really wish makers will focus on better designed levels. GAF is the rare exceptions mostly, and I think checkpoints will help a lot of levels from GAF of course.

If I'm designing a level where I want to slowly introduce a player to a concept and ramp up the difficulty as the level goes on, making the player repeat the really easy parts that they know they can already do is just tedious for them. It's an anti-frustration device that stops people from skipping well designed levels because they don't feel like repeating everything.

Those shitty impossible stages will always be shitty and impossible so it's best to just skip them anyway.

bounchfx

Holy shit. Based Nintendo. We're getting there boys. Slopes, stored power ups, and player made worlds next pls Nintendo!

Awesome. A few stages I made need checkpoints. Can't wait until the update hits and I can finally plop them in.

Hopefully Nintendo will also put in the ability to update uploaded stages without losing stars/plays, but I doubt it.

Edit: I'd also accept infinite up/down elevators (like the ones close to the end of SMB 1-2)

Yes!!! :D That is fantastic!

Now please add 3 Giant Gold Coins to collect too so we can keep making awesome secret areas that actually have a reward in them other than a 1-Up please!

PSqueak

Banned
Aw yeah!

Check points and conditional power ups!

Man this is going to make many of my stages less ludicrous for the players, i sure know my fave level so far is in dire need for check points given the ridiculous length of the towers i put on it.

R0ckman

Why not throw in some extra enemies or power ups depending on the world theme you choose? Like a SMW only section for assets or a SMB 3 only section? Well the game seems to be doing great so maybe this will come later.

zelas

I still expect most troll levels will have zero checkpoints or both checkpoints at the start of the level.

Which is why this really isn't as impactful as it should be. We are already relying on the community to make sensible levels. That's not working out as well as it should. Now we'll have to rely on these same people to not only use checkpoints but to use them sensibly? A proper sorting system could solve a lot of the issues checkpoints are meant to alleviate as well as a lot of the other poor design issues Nintendo officially thinks exist within a lot of user created stages.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/nintendo_news/sp/151014/supermariomaker/index.html

Translation via Rocketnews

dickroach

I didn't understand why small->mushroom->fire flower wasn't included in the original game. glad they fixed that.

and as a purist I think the checkpoints should only be for SMW and NSMBU, but whatever, they added ghost houses to SMB1 so I guess anything goes.

JoeM86

I didn't understand why small->mushroom->fire flower wasn't included in the original game. glad they fixed that.

and as a purist I think the checkpoints should only be for SMW and NSMBU, but whatever, they added ghost houses to SMB1 so I guess anything goes.

To be fair, there were checkpoints in Super Mario Bros.

Platy

Edit:

The level that was featured in the final round of the Omegathon event at this year’s Penny Arcade Expo event will also be available for players to experience shortly after the update goes live. New Event Courses will be added to the listing on an ongoing basis, some of which may even feature new Mystery Mushroom transformations. Additionally, a new Official Makers section in Course World will be added after downloading the update, featuring specially selected courses, including some created by Nintendo.

PR

I wonder if this is where the Arino costumes enter.... they said you would need to beat his levels to unlock it

PSqueak

Banned

The only game in SMM that never had Check Points was SMB3, the originam SMB just had them be invisible, you had no visual cue for them, you could just die and respawn mid way thru the level.

dickroach

The only game in SMM that never had Check Points was SMB3, the originam SMB just had them be invisible, you had no visual cue for them, you could just die and respawn mid way thru the level.

holy crap you're right :\

guess I just forgot about them, because when you actually get to the stages where you will die you end up at some hard point in the level where you don't know where the hidden power ups are and just keep dying and dying and dying

Dreavus

That's really cool that they're addressing two very specific complaints people had with the game. Especially the "context sensitive power ups", which seems like something they wouldn't bother with after setting it up the way they did.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Oh wow. Nice. Checkpoints and a mushroom or flower depending on your state are two things I felt were strange omissions.

Can you only have one checkpoint or as many as you want though?

I wonder what else it'll get in time. There's so much more they can add.

Checkpoints are amazing,

Next step, filtering to filter out all those damn music and auto mario levels.

This essentially exists, the "easy" filter is flooded with music and auto levels. Search for "medium" or "hard" levels and you'll only get the occasional music level that makes it hard to actually get to the exit.

Then you have the other problem of getting seas of mediocre to bad levels that have a lot of stars because they're made by some asshole with a YouTube channel, but it's better than nothing.

AdanVC

Is it sad that I consider this the biggest announcement Nintendo has made since E3?? Yes I think it's pretty freaking sad.

Looking forward to this update though.

Guys guys guys. As much as I love having checkpoints and all that, you should never ever design a level that NEED checkpoint. That means it is too long and too difficult. Having a checkpoint will make those levels more tolerable but most difficult Mario Maker levels are just not fun and checkpoint won't fix that problem.

Then why does almost every 2D Mario (SMB3 being the big exception) have mid-level checkpoints? I doubt most would call the stages in those games too long or too difficult.

SalvaPot

Difficult Mario Maker levels are extremely fun, checkpoints are a godsend so I don´t have to repeat hard parts I already proved I can beat.

In official levels, checkpoints serve as a massive relief and usually come after larger, challenging parts. Or right before large, challenging parts.

The NSMB series would be an absolute chore if they designed their levels to not need checkpoints. Most of the late game stages basically require them to not be obnoxious.

A lot of levels in SMM would have been vastly improved with checkpoints. There wasn't anything wrong with the level design, they just had a few challenging areas or some time consuming part, and death was too much of a punishment, while adding a checkpoint would be a little bit of breathing room for error.

Awesome! The tiered powerups in my favorite. I never wanted to do powerups without it. I just ended up always putting a mushroom at the beginning and then a flower near the middle of the stage or something. I'm going to update all my levels with this.

Checkpoints are nice, I guess. But I'm only going to use them on a few levels. I don't make maze levels or anything. Unless it's a ghost house, I guess. The full length of a course is not long enough to need a checkpoint in if you're just making a regular obstacle course Mario level.

Play my levels! https://miiverse.nintendo.net/users/Oni_Link/posts

one_kill

Guess I'll be updating and reuploading some of my levels. Would be nice if I could add checkpoints on an existing uploading.

Platy

I wonder if this is where the Arino costumes enter.... they said you would need to beat his levels to unlock it

JS74xaj.png

Just noticed the HUGE mystery mushroom next to the event levels !!!!

New costumes come hereeee =D

Top Bottom