• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Maker Update Next Week to Include Checkpoints and Event Courses

Penguin

Some good updates coming

The ability to add mid-level checkpoint, Nintendo selected stages and Mario specific power-ups!

https://youtu.be/esX_FPaZdDQ

Edit:

PR

With the addition of mid-level checkpoints, users now have the option to add flags to their levels, allowing players to start at the selected point if they lose a life – rather than having to start over at the beginning of the level. Players can choose to edit and re-upload their own levels, or create new levels from scratch using this feature. Shaking an arrow sign item from the course parts palette will allow you to place a checkpoint flag.

Following the update, players can also insert power-ups that are dependent on Mario’s status. For example, by attaching a Super Mushroom to a Fire Flower and placing it inside a block, Mario will receive the Super Mushroom when he is small, and the Fire Flower when he is large.

The software update also introduces Event Courses in the game’s Course World online hub. Event Courses will feature levels from partner creators outside Nintendo. One of the first Event Courses will be “Ship Love,” the winning level from the “hackathon” event that was held at Facebook’s headquarters in Menlo Park earlier this year. Facebook is the first outside partner in the United States to design a level for Super Mario Maker; employees had the opportunity to design and present their creations to a panel of judges before the winning level was selected.

The level that was featured in the final round of the Omegathon event at this year’s Penny Arcade Expo event will also be available for players to experience shortly after the update goes live. New Event Courses will be added to the listing on an ongoing basis, some of which may even feature new Mystery Mushroom transformations. Additionally, a new Official Makers section in Course World will be added after downloading the update, featuring specially selected courses, including some created by Nintendo.

I've still never made a level on the game yet. Checkpoints are a huge addition. It's the only thing I felt was missing from the game.

rardk64

It always seemed like a matter of time. This is great news!!

I'm hoping this leads to more updates in the future, including more items.

Formless

Ironically I feel like I'm swamped with a Wii U backlog this year with all the updates for various games. Hope this gets me back in Mario Maker.

HvySky

As much as I wanted to play this at launch, I'm kind of glad I decided to wait. Checkpoints are a game changer.

Megaton

I really like the idea of the Fire Flower/Mushroom Combo block
Maybe have a course that can be completed two separate ways depending on if you were big/small mario when you got to a certain point?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Check points and gradual powerups - EXCELLENT
Advanced Gnat Attack - Neat
Special and Event Courses - Good

Seriously, checkpoints and gradual powerups make the game a lot better.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Excellent, excellent news. Checkpoints are deeply needed.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
At this point, I suppose it wasn't a coincidence how the game has been under maintenance for two hours today, even if the update comes next week.

Dineren

Banned
Even though I really wanted them to do so, I was doubtful they would actually add checkpoints. Nice to see I was wrong!

Nice, I saw a metroid style level pre release but it was hurt by not having check points, I wonder if this will help making genre bending levels like that one.

woopWOOP

Gradual powerups and check points are great!

...Probably gonna have to tweak and reupload some of my older stages now :p Ahwell, they barely had stars and plays anyway.

theaface

Excellent updates, very impressive. Not just the much-needed checkpoints, but also the ability to search official Nintendo courses and the context-sensitive powerups. Good work Nintendo.

Haines

Banned
Wow if they keep tweaking and adding to this this game....sick.

Hopefully it stays free and they dont go crazy with dlc prices.

Phu

Banned
Checkpoints will change everything. Probably my top reason for dropping off with SMM so quickly.

cyba89

Those are some great additions to the game.

Checkpoints are a huge game-changer for challenging and long courses

Piccoro

Is this real life? They literally added everything people have been asking for! (except for slopes, but I have a feeling that will eventually come).

And is that Gnat attack from Mario Paint? I never owned the game so I don't know it.

I wonder if the context sensitive Fire Flower works for the leaf/cape/propeller mushroom as well.
Why wouldn't they?

Did it say how the checkpoints will work? Hopefully you'll need to finish levels from each checkpoint as if you respawned there. Otherwise there could be a huge potential for broken or unbeatable levels.

Luigi87

Checkpoints make me really happy.

Power-up progression makes me ecstatic. That was an essential Mario element I felt the game had been lacking, admittedly. Wasn't too big on skipping the Super Mushroom step (except in say, those Metroid levels, lol)

Now we know that THEIR is free and updates coming to SMM before this it had always been more of a MAYBE.

Now we know that they are doing it, it seems only a matter of time before paid and larger DLC is on its way :D.

cyba89

Did it say how the checkpoints will work? Hopefully you'll need to finish levels from each checkpoint as if you respawned there. Otherwise there could be a huge potential for broken or unbeatable levels.

Yes, you have to beat the level from the checkpoint to upload it.

Top Bottom