• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Maker Update Next Week to Include Checkpoints and Event Courses

Joey Ravn

Banned
Mario Kart 8. Super Smash Bros. Splatoon. Now, Super Mario Maker.

Nintendo's showing how to provide post-launch support for their games, son.

Nintenleo

This is really a megaton. This update changes everything, what we've seen until now was just the beginning.

It would have been a perfect final surprise for a Nintendo Direct :(

Oh they did use the direct phrasing in the description of the update "please take a look".

Maybe they should have made a full direct with only text like this so the transition could feel less weird or disrespectful. One direct like this then one with Reggie, Shibata and... no one can replace Iwata in Japan for now maybe it's the main problem?

But regarding this update it's great news :D

Linkyn

Sounds awesome. Also bodes really well for future updates. Feels like a good point to sink some more time into the game.

One obviously, 2D Mario games never had more if I'm not mistaken.
it would be cool to be able to do more for longer levels (like the metroid ones), also since the clock resets at one when you die it could be used as a way to artificially increase the time limit

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I like this a lot, not only for the actual content but also because it pretty clearly means Nintento isn't adverse to adding in some pretty significant changes post-release

Not gonna lie: I stopped playing around with Mario Maker for like 2 weeks just because I was waiting for checkpoints. This will be great. Now I wont feel guilty making 2 screen long levels.

KooopaKid

Banned
HOLY SHIT!

Al-Pacino-they-pull-me-back-in.gif

The two biggest complaints addressed (check points and form sensitive power ups) just made mario maker even better. At this point I want new power ups, slopes, enemies, etc, but I'd be willing to pay for those

ramparter

Banned
it would be cool to be able to do more for longer levels (like the metroid ones), also since the clock resets at one when you die it could be used as a way to artificially increase the time limit
You have a point, maybe they will allow several flags considering how how long many of the user levels are.

Anteo

My longest leves were buikd around no checkpoints, checkpoints do almost nothing for me. Context sensitive items also would require carefull balance, I wonder if i can have a star that requires a star, i guess not

And no one said this would happen.

Some quotes of those who said it wouldn't happen.

Checkpoints necessitate a framework change, they're not like adding in a new enemy. Now people have to pass two checks to upload their level, one from the checkpoint as small Mario to make sure it's not impossible. Or Nintendo has to add in new options to let people start over from the beginning of the level, but then do they want to penalize people a life for that like they do now, because then you're losing 2 lives every time you cross a checkpoint and fail instead of just 1. It's not content, it's an issue of design.

[...] Don't think checkpoints will be added, though. That is an issue about checking rather or not starting at a checkpoint will make the level unbeatable.

Some of their games got content, sure, but nothing fixing the underlying framework. Mario Kart 8 doesn't have voice chat except among friends. The online multi works the same as it did at launch. Battle mode still sucks.

And I think the idea of adding checkpoints and changing up sharing is pretty similar to fixing MK8's battle mode.

But yeah... a tiny wall of shame. With no names.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
Still hoping slopes and other power ups are added. It can't be that hard to add.

Slopes would very difficult because the developers would have to add AI and animations to just about every item and enemy in the game. It would be a waste of time for such a minor feature.

More power-ups is also unlikely because there is not an equivalent in every game.

Forkball

LEGITIMATE GAMECHANGER

Checkpoints is seriously one of the biggest things they could have added. I wish we could edit our already uploaded courses and pop them in there. I also like the adjusted power ups.

ramparter

Banned
I wonder if the context sensitive Fire Flower works for the leaf/cape/propeller mushroom as well.

Seems pretty obvious it will:

Following the update, players can also insert power-ups that are dependent on Mario’s status. For example, by attaching a Super Mushroom to a Fire Flower and placing it inside a block, Mario will receive the Super Mushroom when he is small, and the Fire Flower when he is large.
They used Fire Flower as an example, also it wouldn't make sense to implement the idea only to use it on one power up.

kulapik

Chû Totoro;183106170 said:
Oh they did use the direct phrasing in the description of the update "please take a look".

Maybe they should have made a full direct with only text like this so the transition could feel less weird or disrespectful. One direct like this then one with Reggie, Shibata and... no one can replace Iwata in Japan for now maybe it's the main problem?

But regarding this update it's great news :D

They already chose Iwata's substitute in Japan before he died, though.

Great stuff, glad to see them react quickly to people wanting checkpoints and progressing power ups!

I wonder if the levels will still require clearing without a death even with checkpoints? Otherwise I could see checkpoints being used in a cool way as a puzzle element, too, i.e. you need to kill yourself to reset the stage to the original state to progress.

Would be cool to see Miyamoto in the official makers list.

TheJoRu

Well, I think we can stop expecting a Nintendo Direct this year then.

This is good news, though. Checkpoints is a true game changer, and I like the other new additions as well.

Awesome! I really love Super Mario Maker and despite its problems, continue to play it daily. For some reason, I didn't expect Nintendo to make any significant changes to it. I'm so happy that I'm wrong. This update is going to be great!

Top Bottom