• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October 2015 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes November 10th

GnawtyDog

Banned
Quick question, do bundle digital codes and LE digital codes get counted as physical sales or digital sales?

Cause maybe when we throw around 20%, 30% digital we don't take a potential inconsistency into account. There is the potential for double-counting or for inaccurate accounting of either physical or digital. At least when it comes to vague PR releases propping up digital.

Tomb Raider is already dad imo.

Unless it gets a suprise Universal Acclaim at 90%+ and excellent wom, in which case it could become a sleeper hit.

Somehow I don't see it though #shrug

Personally, I expect Tomb Raider to score very well on meta. High 80s, maybe even 90-92. The formula of TR's gameplay loop is well liked, the previews have been very positive, and CD has not been shy to show long footage of the game.

However, even if TR is universally acclaimed, unless it's got that special story hook that TLoU, Gone Home or Bioshock had which had critics/fans constantly talking about the game months and months after it released, I don't expect that it will matter.

Somnia

Quick question, do bundle digital codes and LE digital codes get counted as physical sales or digital sales?

Cause maybe when we throw around 20%, 30% digital we don't take a potential inconsistency into account.

NPD doesn't count bundles so doubtful.

Tubie

[3DS] 90k
[PS4] 380k
[WIU] 70k
[XB1] 360k

I guess there's no reason to keep putting off my prediction. I really can't believe Xbox did not win, somehow it feels wrong, but all the evidence we have points otherwise.

If only retail is still a good number. 1.5 million x 50% digital = 750,000

1,500,000 + 750,000 = 2,250,000 is nothing to be ashamed about.

It's a mainline Halo game. 2-million-ish is not a bad sales figure, but it's something to definitely be..."concerned" about.

You don't look at a 30-35% sales decline and think that's fine.

Bgamer90

Banned
making it the lowest selling entry in the series by a wide margin ( at least 1.3 million). Which is exactly what many of us were saying would happen.

It would be better than Halo CE (which hit 1 Million in early 2002 if I remember correctly) so technically not the lowest selling entry in the same period. Worse than Halo 2, 3, and 4 though.

orochi91

I think Reach is one of the best selling ones (at least in the UK).

Reach did well. Similar pace to Halo 3 from what I remember.

I'm thinking Halo 5 sales may end up around what ODST did -- don't remember how well it did though since it wasn't a mainline Halo game.

Thank you for the quick replies.

ODST launched to 1.5 mil, I believe.

2/3/4 and Reach are all 3.3 mil.

That consistency is astounding :eek:

stryke

It is my optimistic percentage to quell dissent.

You didn't even apply the percentage correctly either.

In sales talk, if something were to be sold 50% digital, that applies to total sales. i.e. in your example if 50% of Halo 5 sales were digital, that means it sold 3 million.

jjonez18

It can still sell 3 million for the month but no doubt this is the lowest opening for the series. and now COD just launched and in over a week Battlefront will have launched.

Maybe. Iirc the past Halo's have had steep MoM drops. Probably due to how front loaded it is. I mean you don't expect to launch at 3m+ and have a normal MoM drop. This Halo may have some legs. But to do it by the end of November it would have to nearly double it's launch week sales. That never happens.

AP90

We will never know... =/ but either way, digital this Gen is building momentum. And I would think that MS makes a decent amount more from those digital sales vs the physical sales.

And if digital sales are potentially an additional 500k-1mil...then that's a good launch for MS indeed IMO.

Boke1879

We will never know... =/ but either way, digital this Gen is building momentum. And I would think that MS makes a decent amount more from those digital sales vs the physical sales.

And if digital sales are potentially an additional 500k-1mil...then that's a good launch for MS indeed IMO.

In no way digital sales equaled 1 million. Digital sales may be a tad higher than your normal release for a big game like Halo but some of you are REALLY giving digital too much credit.

Tubie

500k would be the absolute top end, and almost unrealistic.

AP90

In no way digital sales equaled 1 million. Digital sales may be a tad higher than your normal release for a big game like Halo but some of you are REALLY giving digital too much credit.

This is why I gave a range.. And I am optimistic as a lot of people are starting to go digital this Gen. And I suspect npd sales next Gen may start to give digital sales more weight.

blakep267

It should easily be able to pass 3 mill by the end of the year and be maybe 3.5 ish

If we say digital would count for 10%( I think that's the low end but whatever) you'd have 1.65 mill in the US and 150k in the UK for the first week. So that's looking at 1.8 mill from those 2 markets. November has 4 weeks and Black Friday so I think it should do close to a million if not more in November in the US

Fat4all

Banned
It should easily be able to pass 3 mill by the end of the year and be maybe 3.5 ish

If we say digital would count for 10%( I think that's the low end but whatever) you'd have 1.65 mill in the US and 150k in the UK for the first week. So that's looking at 1.8 mill from those 2 markets. November has 4 weeks and Black Friday so I don't think it should do close to a million of not more in November in the US

Sounds realistic. I'm wondering how much CoD and Battlefront are going to effect Halo's numbers by the end of the year, though. Not just in sales, but in community as well.

Boke1879

Sounds realistic. I'm wondering how much CoD and Battlefront are going to effect Halo's numbers by the end of the year, though. Not just in sales, but in community as well.

Yup. I think Battlefront at least short term will take some players but longer term people tend to gravitate and stick with COD, and with them releasing so close to each other....we'll just have to see how it goes.

blakep267

Eh that shouldn't be an issue really. Ito still be in the top 10 most played easily for a while. If anything, I think destiny may get the most hurt from these 3 launching. and I do wonder how much lasting appeal battlefront will have. Like is it something your gonna want to play in February?

COD players were going to play COd regardless of when Halo launched.

Fat4all

Banned
Eh that shouldn't be an issue really. Ito still be in the top 10 most played easily for a while. If anything, I think destiny may get the most hurt from these 3 launching

Indeed, Destiny's community is good from what I hear, but all these AAA games releasing right after it will probably do some big damage to it.

Top Bottom