• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TMNT: Mutants in Manhattan rated. (Activision, Platinum Games, PC/PS4/XB1/360/PS3)

Santar

Z3Q32ZH.jpg
I can't believe they went with the "give them actual noses" design again!!
Didn't they learn anything from the backlash of the new movie?

Grief.exe

Platinum continually gets better with each PC release too.

First they were inexplicably locked to 1080p, then they listened to fan complaints, and now support 4K. Maybe the next release will have more resolution options (1440p not supported by Transformers), or the ability to go beyond 60 FPS.

Platinum games at 144Hz would be amazing.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Transformers — check
TMNT — check

Now Platinum needs to make:

G.I. Joe
Street Sharks
Beast Wars
Power Rangers
Big Bad Beetleborgs
Masked Rider
Gundam Wing
Outlaw Star
Cowboy Bebop
Evangelion
Batman Beyond

I feel I should note that the licenses Activision actually has are TMNT, Transformers, several Nickelodeon licenses like SpongeBob, Snoopy, and a tiny bit left on their contract for film based Spider-Man games (unless they canceled that).

I think they dropped the Bond and Family Guy licenses.

Their Marvel license appears to conditionally exist, but primarily for re-releasing old games. Not sure if they have the rights to make anything new.

Are Platinum just super cheap or what?

At least its a more natural fit than Transformers.

They're both relatively inexpensive and also a way above expectations developer for someone willing to work on low budget Activision licensed products.

I don't think it's too surprising that Activision is signing the up for whatever they're up to make. It's not like they have to pay in significantly more money, and they get games that sell more based on the developer's reputation and quality.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Hope its based and looks like TMNT for Nick

Well, that we technically already know:

GamesRadar said:
Activision has signed a multi-year deal with Nickelodeon to create games inspired by the new CG-animated Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles series.

The company will publish the first of three planned Turtles games this summer, but the studio handling development duties and target platforms have yet to be revealed.

Nickelodeon’s Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles series follows the adventures of teenage brothers Leonardo, Donatello, Raphael and Michelangelo as they learn to rely on themselves and bid to become heroes in a half-shell. It debuted last September in the U.S. and the following month in Europe. The first season would appear to have been warmly received as a 26-episode second series is due to begin airing later this year.

Activision Publishing vice president Kurt Niederloh said: "The fans of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles are unique in that they span generations and are very passionate. We respect this passion and look forward to working with Nickelodeon to create games that embody the spirit of the property."

Sherice Torres, senior VP of entertainment products for Nickelodeon Consumer Products, added. "We are confident that these upcoming games will take gamers through interactive environments and action-packed adventures that truly capture the essence, tone and exciting elements of the Turtles."

Source: http://www.gamesradar.com/activision-making-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-games/

Regiruler

Rated a few weeks ago in Brazil. It's coming to PS4, PS3, 360, One and PC!

CVGG2orXIAA-pZ4.png:large

Why does acti keep doing this "everything but wii u" on the properties that would probably be relatively successful on the system? Platinum is familiar with the hardware, they've done two exclusives and a port.

If it's because dark spark bombed, blame dark spark on being shit.
Ah yeah. Well, combat could take place in a blank space as far as I'n concerned as long as the combat is good. But is is lite of course.

Just saying that you can't expect the same experience as Bayonetta. These games are probably made on a 1/4 of its budget and in half the time, if not less.

If the setpieces aren't different, what is really there to go for instead of just replaying platinum games someone already has? Not to mention, if Bayo 2 is any indication, low budget does eventually take a toll on balancing upper level combat.

Johndoey

Banned
I feel I should note that the licenses Activision actually has are TMNT, Transformers, several Nickelodeon licenses like SpongeBob, Snoopy, and a tiny bit left on their contract for film based Spider-Man games (unless they canceled that).

I think they dropped the Bond and Family Guy licenses.

Their Marvel license appears to conditionally exist, but primarily for re-releasing old games. Not sure if they have the rights to make anything new.

They're both relatively inexpensive and also a way above expectations developer for someone willing to work on low budget Activision licensed products.

I don't think it's too surprising that Activision is signing the up for whatever they're up to make. It's not like they have to pay in significantly more money, and they get games that sell more based on the developer's reputation and quality.
No yeah I didn't mean it as a slight just surprising they've become Activision's go to.

Neiteio

So down with this. Even the most mediocre Platinum release is better than 90% of the shit released today.
Yep. Plus, I love to see Platinum getting such steady employment. They're one of the last bastions of Japanese brilliance in the industry, alongside other greats like FROM, Nintendo, etc.

To see Platinum making money with beloved '90s IP makes the whole thing sweeter.

Squidward's Psychotic Episode by Platinum Games

Krakatoa

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
Count me in. I will absolutely buy this on PC. I miss good Ninja Turtles games. Turtles in Time is still one of my favorite games. My brother and I were so disappointed as kids when we realized how short of a game it was.

I absolutely do not understand cross gen anymore. It's been shown time and time again it equates to let Ike 10% of a games sales. Don't think it is worth the time or effodragon anymkrw

Raitaro

DREAMS DO COME TRUE.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

If it's anything like TFormers, but with a bigger budget and longer campaign...I may never take such a game out of my PS4 again.

Quoted from the first page as it adequately summarizes my emotions as well.

Though I will add that (A) the game needs to follow TF's example and use a classic Turtle art style (preferably from the original comics, as shown on the previous page, or the 80's cartoon) and that it (B) would be great if would have some form of co-op mode. Going by the quote and the image above, having a classic art style might already be out of the door unfortunately...

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I would say "Platinum should do a Kamen Rider game", but then I realize it would never come out here.

Ganondorfo

Someone at Platinum games reads the dream announcements thread on Neogaf and does everything what the Gaffers asking for

Because some people on that thread wanted a Tmnt game done by PG.

If only From Soft could read that thread and make a Berserk game.

TreIII

Another thing that adds fuel to the IDW TMNT fire is some other hints that I recall from the Technodrome.

Tom Waltz (writer for the TMNT IDW ongoing) dropped some hints that he was both writing for a (video) game, and the IDW turtles themselves were supposedly involved in a "secret project". For the longest, we were convinced that this had something to do with the tabletop TMNT game that IDW was putting out sometime early next year, but then that was basically de-bunked.

So this "announcement" coming along, and pieces falling together as they are, just makes things line even better...

Sou Da

Another thing that adds fuel to the IDW TMNT fire is some other hints that I recall from the Technodrome.

Tom Waltz (writer for the TMNT IDW ongoing) dropped some hints that he was both writing for a (video) game, and the IDW turtles themselves were supposedly involved in a "secret project". For the longest, we were convinced that this had something to do with the tabletop TMNT game that IDW was putting out sometime early next year, but then that was basically de-bunked.

So this "announcement" coming along, and pieces falling together as they are, just makes things line even better...

Please god yes. This universe deserves some DVD movies or something.

AntMurda

I like Platinum, but slow the fuck down you guys. How big is their studio to be working on all of these different games?

Look at the credits, there's a lot of developers involved behind the platinum games logo. Bee Tribe being the main development force.

Sakujou

Banned
DAT TURTLE JIZZ ALL OVAH MAH FACE!!!

Which is also sort of what a lot of the old toy boxes had their art basis in:
rhUoB2d.jpg

I'll waiver my "few shitty minigame segments" stance due to a Turtle Van segment being absolutely fucking mandatory.

holy shit, even the van looks angry. dayum, those turtles looked angry as fuck back then in the 80s. i fucking loved the cartoon and the toys back then... i wonder if platinum is able to catch the ultimate turtle experience as konami was able to do with turtles in time back then...

ezekial45

Banned
I think we should also remember that more PG Transformers games are coming, as Activision wants to it into a trilogy of games.

Anyway, TMNT is a great fit for PG. I hope they really nail the co-op action. Online play is a must, and I'd love to seem them include the loot system that Transformers had, which was a complete surprise.

TreIII

Please god yes. This universe deserves some DVD movies or something.

Definitely.

If this leads into the IDW series getting their own figures and maybe even their own Direct-to-DVD specials (which would make sense, if this game likely gives the IDW-verse its official vocal cast!), that would just make me so very, very happy.

jett

D-Member
I like the Nick designs the best myself because each Turtle is uniquely designed and easily identifiable. The comic book/80s/90s turtles just look exactly the same.

I also enjoyed its self-aware brand of humor in the first season.

tumblr_mda57ovlxa1rcqnnxo1_500.gif

Tigerfog

come on guys..

2003 is the better series.
The style is modern and not cheesy.
Agreed. It was my favorite style of all the cartoons.
However, I thought it went downhill after the first season's promising start.
It tried hard to adapt some of the Mirage VOL.1's comics' storylines to a saturday morning format while toning down the violence and blood quite a bit - in the end, in my opinion, that was the show's downfall: not knowing its target audience.
And that's a big loss.

Sou Da

They have actual noses with nostrils in the comics now?
Can't seem to find any examples on google.

They don't have nostrils, I don't even think they have them in that model at the top of the page. I think that's just pencil lines.

Zalman

I'm not a fan of the Nick TMNT art direction. I even prefer the 2003 reboot. Guess I'll have to deal with it.

For some reason I should have expected this.

Platinum has a great formula on their hands. They can easily churn out 1-2 licensed releases a year, by pulling ideas & mechanics from their other titles.

I was disappointed in the last Turtle release on XBLA/PSN, it had good intentions with nice little touches such as Turtle Power as the main menu music but the game itself was a chore to play. I hope platinum delivers

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I can't believe they went with the "give them actual noses" design again!!
Didn't they learn anything from the backlash of the new movie?

It doesn't work in the movie because they were ugly there. In IDW it works because they don't.

I like the Nick designs the best myself because each Turtle is uniquely designed and easily identifiable. The comic book/80s/90s turtles just look exactly the same.

I also enjoyed its self-aware brand of humor in the first season.

tumblr_mda57ovlxa1rcqnnxo1_500.gif

2k3 did it first, also in the mirage comics despite lacking color and being similar you can outright tell which one is which due to personality and well... weapons.

With that said I never finished TMNT2012 because of that, had that self-referential, "lol random" humor and the show never found its place. Apparently they eventually fixed that but personally I feel it's too late for me to enjoy it.

Top Bottom