• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Half-Life 3 may use Steam as a release platform

T.O.P

Banned
Bearded+master+race+_a658be9dc3eee5c37b5c7b424a0f88f3.gif

That christmas magic ç_ç

Gaben bought some knives from my uncle recently and they had a little chat about the series, so I can say with 100% certainty that this time it's probably real... the chances are 35 to 68!

BraXzy

Until there is footage (taken underwater) leaked of an old TV playing gameplay recorded on a VHS, I simply can't believe it.

Snore Crime

Neo Member
So do we think Half-Life 3 will be a VR exclusive?

No. I'm not sure they'd want to risk losing mass market appeal by gating the game behind VR.

Then again, I guess they have money and it would help get people onboard with VR, but I don't think it would be exclusive to it.

Krejlooc

Banned
Has HL3 Supassed Duke Nukem Forever for longest time as Vaporware?

Did you know there is a game that was originally announced for the Atari Jaguar, then was moved to the Sega Dreamcast, and is now slated to come to PC, that has been in active development this entire time?

Like seriously 19 years of development.

nothing will ever beat it.

So do we think Half-Life 3 will be a VR exclusive?

nope

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
number33jxgm.jpg

Half-Life 3 sits in limbo, nothing more than a collection of prototypes and ideas predominantly built during the Episode 1 and 2 era before the team, creatively burned out by laborious back-to-back work on the Half-Life franchise, moved on to Portal 2 for more stimulating, fresh creative endeavours. Intentions to move back to Half-Life post-Portal 2 were continually put on the backburner, staff still feeling apprehension returning to something so familiar and difficult, telling themselves "just one more game". As time passed senior staff less and less interested in returning to Half-Life, in turn encouraging younger staff to follow them forward into different projects, with only a handful on-and-off returning temporarily to Half-Life 3 to create half finished prototypes and ideas, none of which coherently linked together, before too moving on to other projects.

Aimless and never really committed to one particular vision or singular dedicated team, Half-Life 3 data stands unfinished, unfocused, and will remain as such forever. A situation so dire that veterans like Marc Laidlaw, writer on the series, had to resort to twitter Breen fan fiction of his own series in order to satisfying his urge to continue creating.

retroman

Did you know there is a game that was originally announced for the Atari Jaguar, then was moved to the Sega Dreamcast, and is now slated to come to PC, that has been in active development this entire time?

Like seriously 19 years of development.

nothing will ever beat it.
Sounds interesting! Do you have some more info (title, developer, genre, etc.)?

orava

number33jxgm.jpg

Half-Life 3 sits in limbo, nothing more than a collection of prototypes and ideas predominantly built during the Episode 1 and 2 era before the team, creatively burned out by laborious back-to-back work on the Half-Life franchise, moved on to Portal 2 for more stimulating, fresh creative endeavours. Intentions to move back to Half-Life post-Portal 2 were continually put on the backburner, staff still feeling apprehension returning to something so familiar and difficult, telling themselves "just one more game". As time passed senior staff less and less interested in returning to Half-Life, in turn encouraging younger staff to follow them forward into different projects, with only a handful on-and-off returning temporarily to Half-Life 3 to create half finished prototypes and ideas, none of which coherently linked together, before too moving on to other projects.

Aimless and never really committed to one particular vision or singular dedicated team, Half-Life 3 data stands unfinished, unfocused, and will remain as such forever. A situation so dire that veterans like Marc Laidlaw, writer on the series, had to resort to twitter Breen fan fiction of his own series in order to satisfying his urge to continue creating.

jSLBkWZ.gif

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I don't know what this is. Someone who made this site is probably trolling.

It's not somebody randomly assigning names, as per my quoted post in the OP. When you confirm you want to remove a licence from your account, the Steam Help site mentions the package name in full; an oversight in this function has allowed the names of all packages to leak.

CHC

number33jxgm.jpg

This just sounds so real that it hurts. I really doubt that the situation is anything OTHER than this.

Krejlooc

Banned
Sounds interesting! Do you have some more info (title, developer, genre, etc.)?

It was originally called Native:

uZxa0mh.jpg

It's an r-type clone, but one of the more visually impressive jaguar games, with lots of huge sprites and many layers of parallax. The devs sold beta copies for the Jag CD a few years ago, I have one of them.

KtYAfiL.jpg

The game later changed names to Sturmwind when it went to the dreamcast, this being a bit of promotional material:

QTiB63A.jpg

As you can see, it's the same enemy from when the game was shown off for the very first time on the Jaguar, back at CES 1993:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmKCOMWmfWg

Here is video of the dreamcast build:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsqu6x40ys0

It's now coming out for PC, with a dreamcast release still planned.

from 1993, to 2015, and still in development.

roytheone

What makes this leak a bit more interesting is how half-life 3 is not the only thing that got leaked. So if those other games all get confirmed, that would basically confirm the existence of half-life 3 too!

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
This just sounds so real that it hurts. I really doubt that the situation is anything OTHER than this.

Honestly though, if those guys really don't want to work on a legendary franchise, then let someone else do it. Just sitting on it is cruel.

Bluth54

Has HL3 Supassed Duke Nukem Forever for longest time as Vaporware?
I know Half Life 3 just recently surpassed Team Fortress 2 as the longesta Valve game has been in development and I don't think TF2 was in development as long as DNF.

Of course unlike DNF TF2 was a good game when it eventually came out.

I don't know what to say to this. I know it's nothing, but stuff like this reminds how necessary it is for HL3 to happen. It's so dumb they haven't continued the story.

Top Bottom