• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Half-Life 3 may use Steam as a release platform

26434819.gif

But please happen.

sn00zer

number33jxgm.jpg

Half-Life 3 sits in limbo, nothing more than a collection of prototypes and ideas predominantly built during the Episode 1 and 2 era before the team, creatively burned out by laborious back-to-back work on the Half-Life franchise, moved on to Portal 2 for more stimulating, fresh creative endeavours. Intentions to move back to Half-Life post-Portal 2 were continually put on the backburner, staff still feeling apprehension returning to something so familiar and difficult, telling themselves "just one more game". As time passed senior staff less and less interested in returning to Half-Life, in turn encouraging younger staff to follow them forward into different projects, with only a handful on-and-off returning temporarily to Half-Life 3 to create half finished prototypes and ideas, none of which coherently linked together, before too moving on to other projects.

Aimless and never really committed to one particular vision or singular dedicated team, Half-Life 3 data stands unfinished, unfocused, and will remain as such forever. A situation so dire that veterans like Marc Laidlaw, writer on the series, had to resort to twitter Breen fan fiction of his own series in order to satisfying his urge to continue creating.

Yup

gafneo

Banned
It's not somebody randomly assigning names, as per my quoted post in the OP. When you confirm you want to remove a licence from your account, the Steam Help site mentions the package name in full; an oversight in this function has allowed the names of all packages to leak.

Whatever the file was, it was deleted. No one planned to use it . Or someone is messing around at the help desk when people delete HLepisode 2, they have it listed as 3.

What is the economic incentive for Valve to develop HLIII?

Or rather, what is the incentive for Valve to pull resources on ventures already doing gangbusters into an episodic game that will create more word-of-mouth hype than actual revenue?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Seriously though: it's pretty fucking obvious Half-Life 3 exists and would logically have an entry in Steam. I don't see how this is up for debate, or is even remotely unrealistic. All the leaks, along with a little sensibility of how Valve is known to work, would imply high probability that a project named and intended to be Half-Life 3 grown from Half-Life 2: Episode 3 exists in some form in Valve's developer archives and has been, to some extent, worked on by staff on and off for X amount of years.

What you're looking at with listings and stuff here is not verifiable, measurable, concrete proof a game is deep in production and on the fringe of release. It's just data of vague implications, none of which necessarily extend beyond a project simply existing in some form. And why wouldn't Half-Life 3? We've known Valve working on other franchises that were ultimately scrapped or re-imagined, like F-STOP and their sci-fi space game. We're also inclined to believe they're working on Left 4 Dead 3 (decent probability of it being their next major game). All a listing like "Half-Life 3" requires in this instance is that the project existed in some form, and for whatever reason (including purely developmental) was loaded into the Steam database. That's it.

What you and I do not know, and what is borderline impossible to derive from this listing, is exactly what state Half-Life 3 as a concept and project exists as internally at Valve. How many people are working on it? Is anybody working on it? Does it have an active production pipeline? Is there a coherent, near complete design document? When was the last time a team actively worked on it? How much data exists? What engine build? What stage of production? Etc.

JaseC is the is the all knowing mastermind of Steam stuff so I'm sure he can contribute much more than what I have above (and/or prove me completely wrong), but my point is simply this; the idea that a Half-Life 3 project exists or existed at Valve is not in the least bit difficult to believe, but a listing in Steam proves nothing about the state of the project itself.

Nzyme32

This is the king of all Steam leaks so far. Something like 90k packages leaked. Now it's just a trawling mission of all the named ones that are not using a pseudonym.

gafneo

Banned
This leak has been true a dozen times before for the last 10 years. Not joining the hype train.

No matter what people try to leak, we all know Gabe is too spiteful to give people what they want. He gets off on people begging. Makes him crack up.Its like a villian I seen in Sin City. Gets off on women screaming. It's like a sick fetish.

Krejlooc

Banned
Seriously though: it's pretty fucking obvious Half-Life 3 exists and would logically have an entry in Steam. I don't see how this is up for debate, or is even remotely unrealistic. All the leaks, along with a little sensibility of how Valve is known to work, would imply high probability that a project named and intended to be Half-Life 3 grown from Half-Life 2: Episode 3 exists in some form in Valve's developer archives and has been, to some extent, worked on by staff on and off for X amount of years.

What you're looking at with listings and stuff here is not verifiable, measurable, concrete proof a game is deep in production and on the fringe of release. It's just data of vague implications, none of which necessarily extend beyond a project simply existing in some form. And why wouldn't Half-Life 3? We've known Valve working on other franchises that were ultimately scrapped or re-imagined, like F-STOP and their sci-fi space game. We're also inclined to believe they're working on Left 4 Dead 3 (decent probability of it being their next major game). All a listing like "Half-Life 3" requires in this instance is that the project existed in some form, and for whatever reason (including purely developmental) was loaded into the Steam database. That's it.

What you and I do not know, and what is borderline impossible to derive from this listing, is exactly what state Half-Life 3 as a concept and project exists as internally at Valve. How many people are working on it? Is anybody working on it? Does it have an active production pipeline? Is there a coherent, near complete design document? When was the last time a team actively worked on it? How much data exists? What engine build? What stage of production? Etc.

JaseC is the is the all knowing mastermind of Steam stuff so I'm sure he can contribute much more than what I have above (and/or prove me completely wrong), but my point is simply this; the idea that a Half-Life 3 project exists or existed at Valve is not in the least bit difficult to believe, but a listing in Steam proves nothing about the state of the project itself.

HOLY SHIT HALF LIFE 3 CONFIRMED!!!!!!

Nzyme32

Well said.

Nibel

SF8MzIP.gif

Foffy

Banned

I am sure some would agree with all of this, but I think people are marking out that even if it's just a state of testing and tinkering, there is something tangible that has/had happened with the title.

7drHiqrh.jpg

Guri

Yeah, my main grip with this is that it isn't called "Half-Life 3". Although the name can be changed.

jeh

Whether the game is real or not, in active development or not, all i'm sure of is that it is unfortunately bound to dissappoint in one way or another (if it is ever released) due to the borderline impossible expectations people built of it over the years.

iNvid02

i was hoping this thread would be proven totally wrong and the entry would be constantly receiving updates etc, but this is just a sign it exists

half life 3 exists, it does not live

ironcreed

Banned
Until they officially announce something, I just don't care anymore. As far as I am concerned that ship sailed long ago and I would rather get excited for games that are, you know, actually releasing.

retroman

It was originally called Native:

uZxa0mh.jpg

It's an r-type clone, but one of the more visually impressive jaguar games, with lots of huge sprites and many layers of parallax. The devs sold beta copies for the Jag CD a few years ago, I have one of them.

KtYAfiL.jpg

The game later changed names to Sturmwind when it went to the dreamcast, this being a bit of promotional material:

QTiB63A.jpg

As you can see, it's the same enemy from when the game was shown off for the very first time on the Jaguar, back at CES 1993:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmKCOMWmfWg

Here is video of the dreamcast build:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsqu6x40ys0

It's now coming out for PC, with a dreamcast release still planned.

from 1993, to 2015, and still in development.
Amazing. Thanks for the write-up!

Guri

i was hoping this thread would be proven totally wrong and the entry would be constantly receiving updates etc, but this is just a sign it exists

half life 3 exists, it does not live

Again, this could be just a "Half Life 3" entry. However, the official franchise name is "Half-Life" (with hyphen) and Valve apps have a 3 number id. This one has 6.

EDIT: It can also be for internal purposes, but who knows at this point. SteamDB doesn't show the developer ID.

Vire

I legitimately feel sorry for anyone who is excited by this 'news'.

Half Life 3 is never happening. Valve has already tasted the sweet nectar of online free to play multiplayer focused games. The amount of money DOTA 2 has made over Half Life 3 is inconceivable.

Top Bottom