• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Half-Life 3 may use Steam as a release platform

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

number3qcyaj.jpg

Mman235

I dont get the hype for HL3?

HL2 was very scripted corridor-ish FPS, with poor enemy AI and gunplay. Puzzles were basic and the physics did not meet the hype.

And yet the genre has somehow managed to continually go back from that since then (at least until the last year or two where a couple of FPS at least tried to claw things back to where they were).

Can't wait to see Half-Life fans lose their minds if this game is officially announced
and wait for it to go on sale before buying it

Jito

Banned
Who gives a shit anymore, doubt whatever Valve is today could make a decent, story based, single player experience in Half Life 3.

Skab

Can't wait to see Half-Life fans lose their minds if this game is officially announced
and wait for it to go on sale before buying it

I will be extremely hyped when it finally gets revealed.

I will also avoid every thread about it on gaf, because they will be awful.

Guri

Tip for the future: Valve app ids have only three numbers. Also, remember the official name. "Half Life" isn't a Valve brand. "Half-Life" is.

Mattenth

I dont get the hype for HL3?

HL2 was very scripted corridor-ish FPS, with poor enemy AI and gunplay. Puzzles were basic and the physics did not meet the hype.

I mean... the game is over 10 years old. This is like saying "Man, I don't get why people love Ocarina of Time so much. Such a shitty open world game. I mean, look at the Witcher."

Half Life 2 was an achievement when it was released, and in many ways, it still is. Sure, the story/plot was really weak, and it was extremely linear, but it advanced an entire genre forward and showed that FPS games could be more than just run-and-guns.

Nzyme32

number3qcyaj.jpg

seriously, don't do this to yourselves guys lol

Anyone can call their game Half Life 3, and the fact that it is such a never ending development title, it makes an excellent pseudonym for any game developing that wants to avoid such a leak

injurai

Banned
Oh man... wouldn't that drive fans insane. Releasing HL2 remastered before anything HL3 related even comes up.

Well we got BlackMesa, for all we know that team will move onto HL2 remastered next while Valve putts around on god knows what.

Dark Matter

Neo Member
In 2004 there was another fps Halo2 which has a more dynamic gunplay and enemy AI, and comes with much fun so captivating multiplayer. :p

Far Cry would be a better contender for fps of the year 2004.

I didn't like Halo 2 that much. Just my opinion.
Halo 1 imho was even better and even it had a lot of ripetitive combat sections and a few shallow levels (the Library) that almost made me want to quit the game.

Half-life 2 imho has better weapons, the aiming in Valve's game is by far more slick and satisfying (no aim assist), has better physical interactions, bodies reactions when enemies are hit are more convincing (ok, nowhere as good as modern games), HL2 offers more variety, scripted events (both are linear and scripted games) and gameplay mechanics.

They are differents games, though, meant to impress different people.
Halo tries to be "epic" with its engaging large scale battles, while HL2 tries to offer a more unsettling experience and the combat is more visceral, also the enviroment in HL2 plays a big role, in Halo it's just a scenario for battles with scarce relevance gameplay wise.

Saiyan-Rox

Well we got BlackMesa, for all we know that team will move onto HL2 remastered next while Valve putts around on god knows what.

by the time they finish black mesa HL3 will be out

How long have they been working on the end game of black mesa now?

Top Bottom