• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Half-Life 3 may use Steam as a release platform

It is part of the leak. Considering how precise the naming is, it is pretty damn likely to be coming to Steam / being worked on.

Wait, according to JaseC, this is just proof that HL3 was something uploaded to Steam's database sometime, correct?

Then OH FUCK THIS IS PROOF DANGANRONPA'S ON STEAM DATABASE
And there's no reason for that to happen at all, unlike HL3- both games were given those subtitles when they were localized in 2014.

Thread worthy?

longdi

Banned
I dont get the hype for HL3?

HL2 was very scripted corridor-ish FPS, with poor enemy AI and gunplay. Puzzles were basic and the physics did not meet the hype.

Wait, according to JaseC, this is just proof that HL3 was something uploaded to Steam's database sometime, correct?

And there's no reason for that to happen at all, unlike HL3- both games were given those subtitles when they were localized in 2014.

Thread worthy?

Makes sense considering Helldivers looks like it's coming to PC as well. I bet we see Rapture too.

Nzyme32

Thread worthy?

Well yeah, the leak concerns stuff fairly recently uploaded, but there is no telling if the games will all make it to Steam since we don't know the state of development. Many games use pseudonyms, but if the naming is so precise, we can logically say it is likely to be the right game. HL3 is something anyone could name their game, but at the same time Valve wouldn't allow that for long, so who knows. Dragonropa is one of the bigger ones that seems accurate considering the subs in the package. But again, there is always the possibility it gets abandoned or something else happens. Indeed JaseC is right, all we can categorically state is that someone has uploaded it. We can view the history on SteamDb and get a slight insight though

Nzyme32

HL2 was very scripted corridor-ish FPS, with poor enemy AI and gunplay. Puzzles were basic and the physics did not meet the hype.

We are talking about a game from 2004, which was genuinely innovative for its time, both in gameplay and tech. The assumption is that HL3 would take a significant step in doing a similar change, ie HL3 would not be your typical console style sequel, but something that innovates and changes what it is. The most recent leak already confirmed open world and quests, something HL games have never done nor were they the norm in 2004. Obviously that's practically nothing to go on, but HL1 and HL2 both raised the bar for their time; with any luck HL3 can do the same even if that seems infeasible

pswii60

You're right about all those points but the sum is greater than its parts. I loved it and can't wait for more if true.

Snore Crime

Neo Member
We are talking about a game from 2004, which was genuinely innovative for its time, both in gameplay and tech. The assumption is that HL3 would take a significant step in doing a similar change, ie HL3 would not be your typical console style sequel, but something that innovates and changes what it is. The most recent leak already confirmed open world and quests, something HL games have never done nor were they the norm in 2004. Obviously that's practically nothing to go on, but HL1 and HL2 both raised the bar for their time; with any luck HL3 can do the same even if that seems infeasible

Open world and quests? I dunno about that man.

Nzyme32

Open world and quests? I dunno about that man.

Exactly my thoughts. Although in Keighley's interview, the suggestion was having an ongoing game universe that everyone could annotate and modify thanks to Source 2 (such was their vision of their future games thanks to Source 2) even going so far as to thinking about how voice actors could be involved in such a thing. It's not too inconceivable to see a HL game with a core story that Valve does and adds to now and then, along with lots of user created extensions and spin offs, which they can't seem to get enough of these days

longdi

Banned

In 2004 there was another fps Halo2 which has a more dynamic gunplay and enemy AI, and comes with much fun so captivating multiplayer. :p

HL2 wasnt as innovative as i had hoped for. It was my first pre-ordered PC game and came with 5-6 CDs IIRC. HL2 steam was a pita back then with the level loadings. In the end, i played more CS:S than HL2.

Guymelef

How does Steamdb works? Is it always 100% accurate?.
There are things like Arslan Musou and it's only announced for PS4/PS3/XBO (for now at least)

RobNBanks

Banned
If Half-Life 3 ever actually comes out, you really think it would leak like this?
How does Steamdb works? It's always 100% accurate.
There are things like Arslan Musou and it's only announced for PS4/XBO (for now at least)

ya Halo 3 is so much fun on PC

You weren't there in 2004 were you?
Halo CE came out in 2001, on a console and had none of those problems. While also not having awful vehicle sections

Date doesn't really give you an excuse.

Halo 1, 2, and 3 are in here too, so I wouldn't get too excited about this. That said, it's pretty well known Half Life 3 is being worked on, so I'm not really sure why everyone acts so surprised every time something like this comes up.

Nzyme32

In 2004 there was another fps Halo2 which has a more dynamic gunplay and enemy AI, and comes with much fun so captivating multiplayer. :p

HL2 wasnt as innovative as i had hoped for. It was my first pre-ordered PC game and came with 5-6 CDs IIRC. HL2 steam was a pita back then with the level loadings. In the end, i played more CS:S than HL2.

Hahaha. Each to their own. I'd definitely agree on gunplay to an extent, but analogue sticks and so much aim assist ruins that. Gameplay wise, there is no comparison at all.

Guymelef

If Half-Life 3 ever actually comes out, you really think it would leak like this?

ya Halo 3 is so much fun on PC

Halo CE came out in 2001, on a console and had none of that.

Date doesn't really give you an excuse.

I edited my reply lol, was a question. lol

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
DTmT1Pq.gif

Nzyme32

Halo 1, 2, and 3 are in here too, so I wouldn't get too excited about this. That said, it's pretty well known Half Life 3 is being worked on, so I'm not really sure why everyone acts so surprised every time something like this comes up.

They are not.

Those are 3 years old and not from today's leak. The halo games were definitely added and worked on 3 years ago, then abandoned. They are one of the minority of games that are added and don't see a final release. As for SteamDB, it is always accurate in representing games added to Steam for planned release / in development / released / delisted post release / abandoned.

If you want info on what has leaked today, don't search steamDB alone without checking the history or the leak which came directly through Steam first.

The good ol' times of
lalMEZS.gif

They are not.

Those are 3 years old and not from today's leak. The halo games were definitely added and worked on 3 years ago, then abandoned. They are one of the minority of games that are added and don't see a final release. As for SteamDB, it is always accurate in representing games added to Steam for planned release / in development / released / delisted post release / abandoned.

If you want info on what has leaked today, don't search steamDB alone without checking the history or the leak which came directly through Steam first.

Last updated 2 months ago according to steamdb, unless the update date means something different.

QlJM1hi.jpg

I'd like to say half life 3 is never coming cos Valve have too much steam dollars coming in to care. On the other hand, I said the same things about Shenmue, final fantasy 7 remake, and the last guardian, so who knows.

FelipeMGM

I know it measn nothing prob but,
its listed there as ''Half Life 3'' and it prob shoud be ''Half-Life 3'' since its Half-Life 2.

I know its stupid, but its sunday and Im bored

Krejlooc

Banned
And then it will crash for a week when it finally releases and fails to live up to the ridiculous hype and mystique that has been built up around it.

you say you'd rather get excited for things actually releasing, but your post history suggests that what you'd really rather do is shit on games with cult followings that aren't even out yet.

Nzyme32

Last updated 2 months ago according to steamdb, unless the update date means something different.

QlJM1hi.jpg

Again those are just back end changes to Steam. Check the history. The changelist numbers apply to every game on Steam, it happens all the time. The big identifier that it was abandoned is that it was removed 3 years ago, and every update after has been a changelist which was applied to every other game at the same time, thus a back end change to Steam.

It is also not part of today's leak. Check the leak, not steamDB first

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'd like to say half life 3 is never coming cos Valve have too much steam dollars coming in to care. On the other hand, I said the same things about Shenmue, final fantasy 7 remake, and the last guardian, so who knows.

Unfortunately we exist in the timeline that permits all you mentioned, but excludes Half-Life 3 and Beyond Good & Evil 2.

And then it will crash for a week when it finally releases and fails to live up to the ridiculous hype and mystique that has been built up around it.

Those poor suckers. You could repackage Half-Life 2 + Episodes with a new coat of paint and it's still be better than 99% of games released these days.

ironcreed

Banned
you say you'd rather get excited for things actually releasing, but your post history suggests that what you'd really rather do is shit on games with cult followings that aren't even out yet.

Pardon me? I would love for Half-Life 3 to release, as my 'post history' would also suggest. I am just not building it up to be something that it will never be able to live up to should it ever come out. And the only games that I ever 'shit on' are ones that I feel have questionable practices.

ironcreed

Banned
Those poor suckers. You could repackage Half-Life 2 + Episodes with a new coat of paint and it's still be better than 99% of games released these days.

You misunderstand me. I am not saying that it would not be great. Only that it probably would never live up to the hype because it has been so long. I love Half-Life, I am just not setting myself up for disappointment.

EDIT:

From my post history. Just for you:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=610406&highlight=half+life+ironcreed

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
You misunderstand me. I am not saying that it would not be great. Only that it probably would never live up to the hype because it has been so long. I love Half-Life, I am just not setting myself up for disappointment.

I know. And they are the poor suckers. We're good to go.

dogstar

Banned
The gun play was fantastic

Yep, as were the phyics. Using the gravity gun for the first time was amazing... and there is nothing wrong with a linear, scripted FPS either. HL2 was the perfect game for me, and I would rather HL3 never came out if they are unable to match where they took us with two.

Top Bottom