• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Half-Life 3 may use Steam as a release platform

*Only on SteamOS

Also, how legit is SteamDB considering, "This site is not affiliated with Valve, Steam, or any of their partners. All copyrights reserved to their respective owners."

iPWQpiG.png

Not believing it until there's an offical announcement or release

Rains

It is interesting the game would be a instant Money maker but could it ever live up to the hype if it was made/released

patapuf

It is interesting the game would be a instant Money maker but could it ever live up to the hype if it was made/released

IF it ever gets released it'll probably be a pretty good game when all is said and done. There'll be hype and disappointment and things balance out after a few months.

Valve just doesn't seem interested in making that game.

eso76

Half Life 3 is not, nor will it ever, be released. Stop doing this to yourself people, your crushed hopes and dreams only fuels Gabe's TF2 hat production.

I have been reading (and typing) the same about Shenmue 3 for the last 10 years and look !

Half Life 3 will be released.

But it will suck.

Vegito

Banned
of course they'll use steam. The big surprise would be a console release along side it. I have to wonder if valve would consider that.

novablue

Banned
Wow, this is a special day for the Steam OS fandom. Imagine that, HL3 the first game to be Steam OS exclusive. I would buy a steam box for that and I'm being legit right now.

So I've, uh, never actually played Half-Life (despite owning it in multiple platforms heh), is it worth it / necessary to play Half-Life 1 first, or am I set with just Half-Life 2 and the two.. expansions? they made?

Also whenever I see hype threads for HL3 I assume that it's for actual HL3 and not HL2E3, right? I feel like I've seen people talk about a 3rd expansion for HL2 before but that's something else that will never come out, isn't it?

So I've, uh, never actually played Half-Life (despite owning it in multiple platforms heh), is it worth it / necessary to play Half-Life 1 first, or am I set with just Half-Life 2 and the two.. expansions? they made?

Also whenever I see hype threads for HL3 I assume that it's for actual HL3 and not HL2E3, right? I feel like I've seen people talk about a 3rd expansion for HL2 before but that's something else that will never come out, isn't it?
Half life 1 is arguably better than HL2. I recommend you play it and quit when you get to the xenon levels. I think that's what they're called. After that, it's up to you to finish or not, but everything leading up to that is amazing.

McLovin

At this point it doesnt even matter anymore. I'm done waiting, I'm not gonna get hyped any time someone mentions this game. And if it came out tomorrow I'm not even sure I would buy it.

Xpliskin

I wish someone would make a collection of all the HL3 threads and rumors we've had over the years.

Quite a fun read.

Nzyme32

To me its pretty obvious to use their biggest IPs for VR / Steam machines. Only a matter of time

They've said no to both of those, so it isn't happening.

Besides, HL doesn't not work at all in VR. You'd have to mechanically change the game so much so that the game is no longer really a HL game. As for Steam Machines, this has been talked about to death. They are not doing "exclusives" and their approach to the systems themselves is that of not being risk averse and knowingly releasing an unfinished product that will be developed on over time, with a team, investment and marketing that is minuscule compared to consoles because they aren't aiming to be consoles or even compete with them at this point (Quotes that explain that better)

Thabass

Excuse my ignorance here, but is this a joke? Half-Life 3 is using Steam as a release platform? Well no shit.

Far Cry would be a better contender for fps of the year 2004.

I didn't like Halo 2 that much. Just my opinion.
Halo 1 imho was even better and even it had a lot of ripetitive combat sections and a few shallow levels (the Library) that almost made me want to quit the game.

Half-life 2 imho has better weapons, the aiming in Valve's game is by far more slick and satisfying (no aim assist), has better physical interactions, bodies reactions when enemies are hit are more convincing (ok, nowhere as good as modern games), HL2 offers more variety, scripted events (both are linear and scripted games) and gameplay mechanics.

They are differents games, though, meant to impress different people.
Halo tries to be "epic" with its engaging large scale battles, while HL2 tries to offer a more unsettling experience and the combat is more visceral, also the enviroment in HL2 plays a big role, in Halo it's just a scenario for battles with scarce relevance gameplay wise.

valve's games have never had great gunplay. what are you talking about?

I'll never understand the internet's obsession with this okay franchise

I'll never understand why some people think like this. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean millions of others don't. Plus, it's one of the most influential franchises. I mean, HL2 basically got people on Steam when it was a buggy, horrible mess. I can't even imagine what the PC industry would be like today without HL2 and Valve.

Nzyme32

Isn't it reasonable that it will come out when Valve brings out Source 2?

Technically Valve's VR stuff that uses Source 2 will be the first new stuff to use it. After that it is almost certainly L4D3, which has already had beta testers. HL3 is likely years away

So like Wolpaw will be writing Psychonauts who will write this?

Marc Laidlaw is the principle writer for Half-Life games. Always has been.

Dark Matter

Neo Member
valve's games have never had great gunplay. what are you talking about?

Didn't say that.
I said that for me the weapons in HL2 are more convincing than those we find in the Halo serie, where the alien weapons feel like plastic toys and the marines ones are just "ok".

In Bungie games, I don't find the impact of the bullets on bodies to be satisfying (even when shields are down) and the amount of precision that the game expect from the player is much less due to the aim assist and the slow camera movement. The camera in Halo it's quite slow to accomodate the limit of the analog stick and it take more time to aim target far away from your visual cone. That's what if mean when i say that aiming in HL2 feels way more "slick".

Neither game try to be realistic in the slightest, and that should be fine. HL2 proudly retain some of the arcadish influence of the gunplay mechanics seen in classic fps like Quake 2 and the first HL that share the same engine, with many improvements that don't try to change the overal tone of the game.
We can discuss about thing like recoil and how weapons react to the player movement, but i think it's pointless for this kind of games and neither of the two do well on this regard. But that's a design choice.

Try to impale a Combine with a corssbow headshot and tell me that HL2 gunplay can't feels great at times.

T.E.D

Banned
If Half-Life 3 is actually ever announced, the internet will implode. The whole communications system will go offline.

Genio88

Wait Half Life 3 will be released(yes keep believing it lol) on Steam? I thought it would have been a GOG exclusive

Piers

I'll never understand why some people think like this. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean millions of others don't. Plus, it's one of the most influential franchises. I mean, HL2 basically got people on Steam when it was a buggy, horrible mess. I can't even imagine what the PC industry would be like today without HL2 and Valve.

Leaving a positive influence on games design doesn't nescesserily translate to overall popularity. I showed HL2 to a fair few people and to my surprise, they didn't enjoy it. (They found the unskippable story bits annoying, for one.)

I thought Telltale Games are already developing it.

Alex Vance: Don't you have anything to say, Gordon?
Gordon: .....
* Alex will remember that *

Top Bottom