• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Remake is a multi-part series

Guri

OK, I know that generally consumers don't really care about how game development works, but if you want to try to understand why they are going this way, I'll try my best.

1- Final Fantasy VII was a full game, they just needed to remake that.

Every remake means taking the original product and improve on areas not possible before. Anyone expecting this as a graphical/audio remake only would be disappointed no matter what. That would be a Remaster. Everything from aspect ratio, gameplay systems, storytelling mechanics, environment assets, locations and so much more were made for a 1997 game with limitations from that era.

Some of these limitations are responsible for specific features in a game. One of the best known cases is how Silent Hill's fog was created to hide pop-in, which was impossible to avoid. But that can go to generic examples which fit any title: divide locations to mask loading and avoid memory issues, camera positioning to hide weird visual glitches and so on.

So a remake is also an opportunity to improve on some of these limitations and also create something new and refreshing.

2- The data size can't be that much. They could fit it in a couple Blu-Ray discs.

FF VII has a lot of unique assets and locations. If you are curious, take the original or one of its ports and see how many unique assets you can find. They were able to do this in exchange of static rendered backgrounds and no voice acting, which are impossible to get away with in a modern AAA game.

3- Final Fantasy XIII Trilogy has content comparable with FF VII and their data sizes weren't as big.

This is a continuation of comment on the second question. It might be true or not (I'm not sure, I never played that trilogy), but from what I've seen, asset repetition is more common. Not that it's a bad thing. I'd say it's impossible to avoid that without going overbudget and getting massive delays. Remember, this is a remake, with fully 3D maps, NPCs and, of course, a bunch of new content. Add to that a fully voice-acted game (with localization) and unique assets everywhere and your costs go way up.

4- They will make me stop playing or cut parts to make it episodic.

They might. If they miss this opportunity. Here's the thing. Every developer I've talked to about this (no one from Square, I should mention) understood this decision. Game development costs today are simply obscene. You add that to a project which turned into a franchise of its own like Final Fantasy VII and they explode.

I see this as basically: make it episodic (or multi-part series, if that somehow means something different) or don't make it at all, because the costs are prohibitive.

And this is also an opportunity for designers and writers to do their job well. Maybe they will stop an episode/part at a scene some of you speculated. Maybe they will create something new to make it fit better. Maybe they will mess up. Maybe they will find the perfect spot to stop and still leave you to explore an area. It is feasible, to say the least.

Making it episodic/multi-part means being able to recoup costs to still have budget to continue the game in this case.

Now, maybe you don't agree it's a good decision. I won't discuss on that because I don't believe in changing opinions. If you don't think it can work, that's OK. I just hope I shed some light on the decision.

A JRPG isnt going to sell 50 million units.

A JRPG.

We're talking VII here. It's the most sought after remake and one of the ultimate legacy games, with hugely influential characters. A game btw, that became a huge, massive hit, and single handedly put JRPGs on the map in the West, in a market that previously was lukewarm to the genre at best. Not just "A JRPG. "

You give treat this project right with development, and give it real, proper marketing, and it'll compete with any AAA game today.

Sydle

Interesting development. At least it likely means we'll get the first part faster, probably by this time next year.

Bog

Junior Ace
Kind of obvious this was going to happen when you think of the size and scope of VII. If you ever wanted to see it, this is how it was gonna happen. I'm fine with it.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I'm going to bed. Last time I did that, I blessed Square-Enix and FFVII: Remake.

Today, I will not bless them.

Good night.

DeSolos

I don't see the problem. Life is Strange proved to me that episodic gaming works. Can't wait to see how this turns out

Life is Strange Episodes came out within a single year. If they could do that with FF7 they wouldn't be releasing them in an episodic format.

Bye bye world map.

I'm not too upset by this. As long as they are about to recapture the heart of the game, it can be a linear as it wants to be. I just hope SE plans out the releases of each episode accordingly.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
But there is no single game to chop up. Final Fantasy VII Remake does not exist.

If it were Final Fantasy VII that they were remastering and they changed the release strategy and gameplay flow of it, then that could be frustrating, but Remake is not FFVII. As is clearly demonstrated by the gameplay demo, it is a wholly different game inspired by the characters and story of the original. And so they are free to make it up as they see fit.

Dislike the approach if you've had bad experiences with episodic games in the past, but it seems like hating on it just on principle of it not being like the game before that it is not at all the same thing of... it feels like when people condemned the Hannibal TV show before it came out because nobody wanted a differently-done second version of this beloved property, and it took the team behind it making something awesome in order to change minds (if/when those people ever even game it a chance.)

Final Fantasy VII Remake is not and never will be Final Fantasy VII. It will be something different.

For real?

Like, you're serious with this?

MrHoot

Okay here's the real question while everyone is still in full panic mode. FF7 is linear in terms of progression for quite awhile but when you get the airship it does open up. So the question really should be "can you access older content" in terms of towns and areas. If yes this is fine, it just means we are getting parts of the game early rather then waiting 11 years for a demo that lasted an hour. I don't need a 1 to 1 but holy shit I do need an open world.

Best way to handle it if you have to do this, realistically.
ep1 All the way to clouds story, ends you with a bang and it feels like a cliffhanger even in the original.

ep2 obviously end of disc 1, big moment and the game has still been linear

ep3 Now this is where we get tricky, either we finish the game or if we have to have 4 parts lets go to where the monsters begin to attack. Big events hit, mood is all time high, but for the love of god you better be able to travel to places from the previous episodes.

ep4 again if needed you just finish the game here, although still i think 3 parts makes the most sense here.

Now again we are all emotional, but before we call death to the game lets at least hear their plan out. There's no reason after all the episodes are done they couldn't release a physical complete edition, but the one thing they can't fucking do is make this a linear story where you can pick it up any episode. It just doesn't work!

It's pretty much the big unknown for me really that prevents me from saying if this is a good or bad decisions (beyond saying at least it's understandable).

Midgar itself is pretty linear so no real problem here. Once you leave it you have access to the overworld, but really you're still in an "A -> B" scenario most of the time (which in the context of episodes could easily be done with big zones with side shit similar to the game). Problem will really be the last part and how it'll tie in with the airship. That would be a huuuuge let down for me if the game went "nope can't go back to any of these locations"

I actually have no problem with this. The only thing that matters is:

Is each part worth it, size-wise?
Is the game fundamentally good?
Does it give me OG FFVII feels?

I mean, some of the people here shitting on this probably play Destiny....

Agreed. It'll all come down to the details.

It's seriously insane.

It's their most beloved game, and ace in the hole. There's absolutely nothing else they can produce that'd warrant more resources from them. This is it. This is the game you go all out on. If it's not this, it's nothing.

If you saw that trailer, you'd know that they are. They are clearly giving it a ton of resources for it to look that good.

m_dorian

I dont like this. I will only buy this -if good- finished and under heavy discount.
Unless SE gives me a reason to ban them from my system.

RaijinFY

Bye bye world map.

I'm not too upset by this. As long as they are about to recapture the heart of the game, it can be a linear as it wants to be. I just hope SE plans out the releases of each episode accordingly.

f*uk no! Not a FFX or XIII again!!! Good lord!

A JRPG.

We're talking VII here. It's the most sought after remake and one of the ultimate legacy games, with hugely influential characters. Not a random JRPG.

You give treat this project right with development, and give it real, proper marketing, and it'll compete with any AAA game today.

It really won't. It would most likely hit normal large scale Final Fantasy numbers. Which is high, but not high enough to justify what people want out of it.

Skux

FutureGAF warns presentGAF of the dangers of getting caught up in the hype storm

N7wAhAT.gif

Cipherr

Too many people already rationalizing and justifying purchases of a single game chopped up to sell to you piecemeal.

Amen. Before this was said I don't recall ANYONE suggesting or hoping that the goddamned game would be diced up and sold to us in small pieces. Now all of a sudden they pull this bullshit and they have defenders everywhere swearing that there is no alternative to such an approach. As if the advancing technology of the last 20 years means nothing, and that somehow as time has progressed, remaking FF7 has strangely become impossible.

I swear, if these studios don't like the Angry Joes and Jim Sterlings, why the fuck do they work overtime giving them suuuuuch prime material to work with breh? Shit is crazy.

Famassu

That new xenoblade game has a world like 8 times the size of Witcher 3, and I'm pretty sure monolithsoft is a smaller entity than square. As previously mentioned, level 5's NNK was also a beautiful, fully realized world. Neither episodic
Size doesn't tell you everything. Xenoblade X is big, sure, but it also has only one city (if I've understood correctly), not all that much story to go through & is mostly just about MMO-ish monster hunts & fetch quests in those big environments. FFVII remade in the fidelity of what we've seen is a completely different beast. For one, it's far more story-driven. Even just re-creating every discussion/cutscene in FFVII is a far more massive job than all of Xenoblade X. Not to even mention the fact that the setting of FFVII is a whole planet with far more unique locations than Xenoblade, made even more daunting a task by assumption that they'd actually need to expand all of those locations considerably because a modern game can't just be all "run for 10 seconds -> loading screen -> next area; run for 10 seconds -> loading screen -> next area", but dungeons & cities & overworld areas need to be more connected, seamless.

I mean how is open exploration on the world map and doing side content at your own leisure gonna fucking work when its chopped to pieces?

Arkeband

Banned
OK, I know that generally consumers don't really care about how game development works, but if you want to try to understand why they are going this way, I'll try my best.

Every remake means taking the original product and improve on areas not possible before. Anyone expecting this as a graphical/audio remake only would be disappointed no matter what. That would be a Remaster. Everything from aspect ratio, gameplay systems, storytelling mechanics, environment assets, locations and so much more were made for a 1997 game with limitations from that era.

Some of these limitations are responsible for specific features in a game. One of the best known cases is how Silent Hill's fog was created to hide pop-in, which was impossible to avoid. But that can go to generic examples which fit any title: divide locations to mask loading and avoid memory issues, camera positioning to hide weird visual glitches and so on.

So a remake is also an opportunity to improve on some of these limitations and also create something new and refreshing.

2- The data size can't be that much. They could fit it in a couple Blu-Ray discs.

FF VII has a lot of unique assets and locations. If you are curious, take the original or one of its ports and see how many unique assets you can find. They were able to do this in exchange of static rendered backgrounds and no voice acting, which are impossible to get away with in a modern AAA game.

3- Final Fantasy XIII Trilogy has content comparable with FF VII and their data sizes weren't as big.

This is a continuation of comment on the second question. It might be true or not (I'm not sure, I never played that trilogy), but from what I've seen, asset repetition is more common. Not that it's a bad thing. I'd say it's impossible to avoid that without going overbudget and getting massive delays. Remember, this is a remake, with fully 3D maps, NPCs and, of course, a bunch of new content. Add to that a fully voice-acted game (with localization) and unique assets everywhere and your costs go way up.

They might. If they miss this opportunity. Here's the thing. Every developer I've talked to about this (no one from Square, I should mention) understood this decision. Game development costs today are simply obscene. You add that to a project which turned into a franchise of its own like Final Fantasy VII and they explode.

I see this as basically: make it episodic (or multi-part series, if that somehow means something different) or don't make it at all, because the costs forbid it.

And this is also an opportunity for designers and writers to do their job well. Maybe they will stop an episode/part at a scene some of you speculated. Maybe they will create something new to make it fit better. Maybe they will mess up. Maybe they will find the perfect spot to stop and still leave you to explore an area. It is feasible, to say the least.

Now, maybe you don't agree it's a good decision. I won't discuss on that because I don't believe in changing opinions. If you don't think it can work, that's OK. I just hope I shed some light on the decision.

We're aware this is how it works.

That's kind of why it was a big deal when it was announced. The simple fact that it couldn't be done. Any asshole studio can release FF7 in tiny chunks, but an honest-to-goodness remake would be HUGE.

Kitoro

Serious question: What in the news in this thread makes you think you won't be able to do that in five years?

Do you not think SE will release a complete collection of the game?

I'm sure they will, but no one who has been wanting this to happen for well over a decade will be able to wait for a complete box set.

My main concern is that the game will end up being a linear experience devoid of a world map and mostly comprised of Kingdom Hearts style environments that feel less like actual towns, cities, and real environments, and more like themed battlefields.

I haven't played many episodic games that allow much in the way of seamlessly backtracking into areas of previous episodes. I'm also worried that the whole "unique experience" thing in that each part could be handled as differently as they were with FFXIII I, II, and III.

Sure, maybe it won't be as bad as I fear, but with S-E's track record, I remain bothered by this news.

kswiston

A JRPG.

We're talking VII here. It's the most sought after remake and one of the ultimate legacy games, with hugely influential characters. Not a random JRPG.

You realize that Final Fantasy VII sold about half as many units in its nearly 20 years on the Market as Skyrim did right? Fallout 4's first day shipment was greater than FFVII's worldwide LTD sales prior to the PC re-release.

The top games didn't sell nearly as well in the PS1 era as they do currently, and JRPG sales have been static at best.

zeitgeist

The episodic thing doesn't bother me too much but I finally saw the new trailer and Cloud looks like a heroin addict. What is with his freaky arms?

Also, either Biggs or Wedge is super tubby
and for some reason I'm now even more upset about him getting killed :(

laser

Neo Member

I see this as basically: make it episodic (or multi-part series, if that somehow means something different) or don't make it at all, because the costs forbid it.

Thanks for the information.

Is this them thinking they'll try to make as much profit off this as possible, or them thinking they'll have trouble making a profit so they devised this. If it's the latter, then they should think again.

It's seriously insane.

It's their most beloved game, and ace in the hole. There's absolutely nothing else they can produce that'd warrant more resources from them. This is it. This is the game you go all out on. If it's not this, it's nothing.

This post needs to be quoted again.

Honestly, this decision pisses me off as someone who has been a huge fan of FF7 since it came out. This is not what I wanted, at all.

Agreed. It'll all come down to the details.

If you saw that trailer, you'd know that they are. They are clearly giving it a ton of resources for it to look that good.

Yeah, it looks amazing.

But, what about content? What about keeping up that level of care from start to finish? I hope it all turns out for the best.

It really won't. It would most likely hit normal large scale Final Fantasy numbers. Which is high, but not high enough to justify what people want out of it.

Why, cause the market doesn't really care for JRPGs as much? Like it didn't when VII first came out and became a gargantuan hit?

You realize that Final Fantasy VII sold about half as many units in its nearly 20 years on the Market than Skyrim did right? Fallout 4's first day shipment was greater than FFVII's worldwide LTD sales prior to the PC re-release.

the Top games didn't sell nearly as well in the PS1 era as they do currently, and JRPG sales have been static at best.

So the overall gaming audience (who aren't all necessarily JRPG fans) has grown. VII was the first JRPG for a massive chunk of its fans, so it's not like it can't be a crossover or breakthrough hit.

fester

Banned
Stepped away from my PC for a bit, thought about it some more...still feel this is a huge sack of shit. I didn't think SE could be any more dead to me but they found a way, holy shit they found a way.

But there is no single game to chop up. Final Fantasy VII Remake does not exist.

If it were Final Fantasy VII that they were remastering and they changed the release strategy and gameplay flow of it, then that could be frustrating, but Remake is not FFVII. As is clearly demonstrated by the gameplay demo, it is a wholly different game inspired by the characters and story of the original. And so they are free to make it up as they see fit.

Dislike the approach if you've had bad experiences with episodic games in the past, but it seems like hating on it just on principle of it not being like the game before that it is not at all the same thing of... it feels like when people condemned the Hannibal TV show before it came out because nobody wanted a differently-done second version of this beloved property, and it took the team behind it making something awesome in order to change minds (if/when those people ever even game it a chance.)

Final Fantasy VII Remake is not and never will be Final Fantasy VII. It will be something different.

Are you kidding me with this nonsense? It's a remake. Not a sequel. If it's a eholly different game, title it as such and market it as such. If it's titled "FF VII Remake" it should BE FF VII Remake, not a "wholly different game".

Give me a fucking break. Posts like that are a marketer's wet dream.

Yeah, it looks amazing.

But, what about content? What about keeping up that level of care from start to finish? I hope it all turns out for the best.

Why, cause the market doesn't really care for JRPGs as much? Like it didn't when VII first came out and became a gargantuan hit?

See kswiston's post. Being Final Fantasy 7 in 1997 is an entirely different beast than being Fallout 4 in 2015.

Top Bottom