• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who is preventing online cross-play from happening?

Chobel

Everyone is always quick to jump onto blaming Microsoft for this, because of the context in which this comes up all the time.

The actual answer here is that PSN and Xbox Live standards are directly incompatible with each other. That is, if you want cross-platform play, you effectively have to pick either Xbox Live or PSN, and then they can also play with PC (since there's no effective standard there, unless you're working through Steam - or you go with Xbox Live, which is supported in the OS as of Windows 10).

This comes up and people blame Microsoft specifically because it's something that was implemented between PC and PSN first. I can guarantee that the same thing would be happening if a PS4 version of a game launched after the X1 and PC versions already are out and have cross-platform multiplayer.

The user-facing quality standards are a big thing for Microsoft and Xbox Live, which is another reason why it's difficult for developers to add in support for that post-release for the purposes of making it cross-platform. When games implement this sort of thing from the start, it actually works quite well - for example, in Shadowrun (PC balance issues aside), Skulls of the Shogun, and Fusion: Sentient/Genesis (though those were a different type of cross-platform interaction).

Yes, Microsoft is in part to blame, because of the way their service is set up, and because of the standards and requirements that they have. However, to completely absolve other platform holders from blame in this topic is intellectually dishonest, at the very least.

Oh please, it's only MS. Dragon Quest X had Cross-platform between PC, Wii U and 3DS. The PS4 (which come later next year) will support cross-play.

Synth

No way Sony would allow crossplay with Xbox. PC to console is a whole different beast.

They have allowed crossplay with Xbox, and also other consoles. They wouldn't allow Xbox Live on PlayStation, but if MS wasn't insistent that Xbox Live itself never integrate with other online platforms (in the way that for example PSN does with Steam), then they wouldn't need to.

For everyone saying Microsoft, I read it as the OP wants cross play between consoles. I highly doubt Sony, MS or Nintendo want or will allow cross play between their systems.

nintendo doesn't even enter the picture with their lack of 3rd patry support. as for the rest, street fighter V would have been cross platform on xbox one if microsoft had gone along with capcoms plans for the future of the franchise. they didn't, so capcom proceeded without them. the fact is cross platform gaming is coming, just not to microsoft devices.

FyreWulff

nintendo doesn't even enter the picture with their lack of 3rd patry support. as for the rest, street fighter V would have been cross platform on xbox one if microsoft had gone along with capcoms plans for the future of the franchise. they didn't, so capcom proceeded without them. the fact is cross platform gaming is coming, just not to microsoft devices.

Nintendo already had cross platform on Wii, and has it on Wii U

Zedox

The counter argument is that Microsoft is also the only company providing an off the shelf solution to PC - console cross play. The big problem is that it's almost certainly going to be exclusively for the Win10Store versions of the games in question, which makes it completely useless.

How is it completely useless if it's cross-play for PC -> Xbox if the PC version is a Windows 10 store version? You can still be on your PC and play...

I do agree that MS doesn't allow cross-platform and I understand their reasons. It sucks for gamers but it's probably more hassle to work with other ecosystems that you're competing with than just keeping it to yourself.

soco

my desire on this depends on how it's implemented. the EA separate agreement shit for the 360 was terrible as is uplay on the PC.

If it could be done without a ton of different agreements for the service, sure, but that will never be the case for most games as the devs wants something in return.

I would say that technology is the number one problem. Most games launch with net problems anyway.

Controls are a great question: players can get a good advantage using mouse/keyboard on shooters.

PC platform is notorious for cheaters/hackers/botters etc. Biggest games of the planet (CSGO, LOL) have a huge amount of aim/wall hackers and botters. It is much easier to control your product on a closed platform.

I can see MS/Sony unwilling to let their players play with friends/family without the need of their products.

I'll ask you kindly not to put words in my mouth. We're having the discussion and no, I don't believe self-proclaimed MS policy experts on NeoGAF. You don't like that. Whatever. Give this crap back to the poster that said it though. Batmanwhoever.
I just found it amusing that you find factual things amusing. The policies in place have been mentioned by many devs on Twitter and in videos, but again, believe what you will. I neither like or dislike it - it's your opinion. It's the internet! Also, this is a discussion board, so forgive me for responding :)

4Tran

It's obviously Microsoft. None of the other companies seem to have a policy against cross-play.

How is it completely useless if it's cross-play for PC -> Xbox if the PC version is a Windows 10 store version? You can still be on your PC and play...
It puts it out of reach for the vast majority of publishers who want to make a PC game.

Jigorath

Banned
Dragon Quest X is going to have crossplay between Sony/Nintendo/PC. I'm pretty sure there's another indie game with crossplay between their platforms. Only Microsoft seems to have a problem with this, for whatever reason.

I would be fascinated to see a quote that has Sony or a partnered developer saying they'd be fine letting a PlayStation title connect to a game running on XBL.

These developers are talking about the PC ports of their games before anything else. It takes two haves to shake. MS doesn't want XBL linking up to PSN and I can't imagine Sony doesn't feel the same, but they're lucky in that they've never really been asked, near as I can tell.

So Square is lying when they said MS is the issue for crossplay?

And what about those games that have crossplay between Sony and Nintendo platforms?

You can only stick your head in the sand for so long before you need to come up for air.

Zedox

It's obviously Microsoft. None of the other companies seem to have a policy against cross-play.

It puts it out of reach for the vast majority of publishers who want to make a PC game.

How? The Windows App Store is just as open as any other store. If you want Xbox Live integration, obviously you need to talk to Microsoft, and that's one thing, but putting a game on the Windows App Store is not "out of reach" for this "vast majority of publishers". I don't know where you got that from.

papo

I understand it is on Microsoft to 'play ball', but why is all the blame on them? Can someone explain that?

I know Xbox Live is miles above PSN is service. What if MS doesn't want to play ball because they can't or won't just negate Xbox Live? I have no proof or arguments for this point I am just curious as to : why it isn't discussed?

Basically I know it's Microsoft's fault, but why aren't we discussing the fact that it could be because of Xbox Live. i can totally understand it being their fault if their service is better than what people want them to do just for crossplay

Kent

How did it work with FFXI being on PS2/PC/X360?

That was prior to PSN, so therefore, this issue wasn't present.

Other issues, with regarding other standards, were present, but exceptions were made to get a big-name Japanese game like Final Fantasy onto the 360.

Exception. The game (along with PSU) was allowed to offer multiplayer outside of Xbox Live.
PSU didn't have cross-platform multiplayer with the Xbox 360 version. It was not only on a separate server, but it's also the only version of the game with global servers.

DocSeuss

It's weird that people are saying it's Microsoft, considering that Microsoft announced crossplay for Fable Legends and Killer Instinct. MS' only beef with crossplay is that mouse and keyboard users regularly outclass controller users.

I understand it is on Microsoft to 'play ball', but why is all the blame on them? Can someone explain that?

I know Xbox Live is miles above PSN is service. What if MS doesn't want to play ball because they can't or won't just negate Xbox Live? I have no proof or arguments for this point I am just curious as to : why it isn't discussed?

Basically I know it's Microsoft's fault, but why aren't we discussing the fact that it could be because of Xbox Live. i can totally understand it being their fault if their service is better than what people want them to do just for crossplay

If you were a Sony fan, would you want to admit that Microsoft doesn't want to connect to Sony's notoriously hack-friendly service? Easier to blame one of the world's foremost internet security corporations than to admit that PSN is leakier than a sieve.

autoduelist

I'm gonna say Microsoft, but I feel like Sony isn't too open on the idea besides connecting with their last console (PS3) and PC. They haven't tried to implement the same plan with Nintendo, granted the opportunity hasn't happened yet. Microsoft is doing the same with just the PC, but I think they're not as open to the idea as sharing the same space with Sony.

I've read this post 3 times and can't make heads or tails with it. Sony has examples of crossplay on their systems with PC, yet somehow they're at fault too because Nintendo, even though you admit there aren't even any opportunities for it? What?

papo

If you were a Sony fan, would you want to admit that Microsoft doesn't want to connect to Sony's notoriously hack-friendly service? Easier to blame one of the world's foremost internet security corporations than to admit that PSN is leakier than a sieve.

I mean I own all consoles so I don't really care as much and I also put the blame in MS steps. But can we really fault them for not wanting to mix with PSN in that way.

otakukidd

Cause a cross platform game is pretty much the same as Netflix. It doesn't use xbox live or psn at all. It uses servers and code a 3rd party creates and can be accessed by xboxs and PlayStations. It's strictly comes down to "hey we want to use our server for PlayStation, xbox, and pc" same as Netflix.Microsoft says no while the other 2 are OK.

hohoXD123

It's weird that people are saying it's Microsoft, considering that Microsoft announced crossplay for Fable Legends and Killer Instinct. MS' only beef with crossplay is that mouse and keyboard users regularly outclass controller users.

I think LewieP made a good point in regards to that:

It's not MS hate. The point is that few if any devs (outside of those owned/published by MS) will ever touch MS's crossplatform multiplayer solution because it requires segregating PC players between Steam and the Windows App Store.

By requiring devs either ignore Steam or split the player pool into "Xbox and Windows App Store" and "Steam, PSN and Nintendo, iOS & Android", MS have ensured that their crossplatform solution is not feasible for the vast majority of devs, and it is primarily used cases where MS is funding development.

Their current polices are reminiscent of their policies during GFWL, but at least that didn't exclude Steam.

David___

Banned
Can someone explain why it's Microsoft's fault? IIRC Shadowrun on the 360 was x-play with PC. Have they come out and said they don't want it? If anything I'd be expecting MS to push for alignment with PC, given that's where their strategy is headed.
Devs themselves said that the roadblock between PC/PS/Xbox cross play has been MS every time in the cases they were asked about it. FFIV isnt on Xbox platforms for a reason.

https://twitter.com/RocketLeague/status/672697224292261889?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

Crossplay is shorthand for "cross-platform play", which means playing against players on completely different platforms. Microsoft now uses Xbox to refer to their entire gaming platform, so you're still on the Xbox platform when you're playing Fable Legends on Windows 10.

Fable Legends won't be available on any other platform (not even on Steam), so for all intents and purposes it's not crossplay.

Par Score

Its hilarious how many people are willing to go through such contortions to not arrive at the simple and obvious answer of Microsoft.

Square Enix says it's Microsoft preventing them from doing it.
Psyonix says it's Microsoft preventing them from doing it.
Criterion says it's Microsoft who made them remove it.

It's as plain as day, but some people refuse to see it.

Haruko

Gigantic will have cross-platform play with Windows 10.

When I asked reps at PAX East about it, they said that it will be an "opt-in" feature, so you don't have to be paired up with/against the other platform if you don't want to.

I don't think Microsoft wants to have cross-platform with previous versions of Windows, but it's happening with 10.

jelly

Cause a cross platform game is pretty much the same as Netflix. It doesn't use xbox live or psn at all. It uses servers and code a 3rd party creates and can be accessed by xboxs and PlayStations. It's strictly comes down to "hey we want to use our server for PlayStation, xbox, and pc" same as Netflix.Microsoft says no while the other 2 are OK.

This.

Microsoft are stuck in their bubble were they think Xbox on Windows, Xbox console and Windows Mobile will dominate the whole world so who cares or needs to play ball with anyone else. Reality doesn't seem to penetrate that bubble that breeds Xbox One, GFWL, Kinect as the best ideas ever, we love it, everyone else will love it, does everyone agree, yes, see it can't fail!

Chobel

Oh look, another one of those ignorant posts about "security".

harpingon

Neo Member
Youre going to have to seperate mouse users from controller users regardless (for FPS games), but Im sure there would be a way to sequester each type of controller into its own opponent pool and still allow cross play. There are crazy people (cough, Jeff Gerstmann) who play with a controller on PC after all.

Me.

Yudoken

Look... Some of us are developers who sit in front of a PC with a mouse and keyboard all day long (and some nights too).

The last thing I want to do when I get home is touch a mouse and keyboard.

Besides, after 10 years of writing software for a living, I think I'm getting the carpal tunnel syndrome...
Thanks mouse and keyboard. :/

Seriously?
Just use steam big picture, bam, problem solved.

Use your favorite controller without the need of a keyboard and mouse.

To op:
MS only allows crossdplay with pc on their own games.
They need to use their servers so the games that have crossplay with pc are MS exclusives.
Nintendo probably forbids that completely, there is no indication about crossplay on Nintendo console with anything other tha the 3DS.
Sony allows crossplay with pc.
Sony probably don't have a problem with crossdplay with MS.

What games definitely should be crossplay?
Games like Trials (including sharing Maps from different platforms), Fighting games, Racing games, Coop games, Sport games and overall games where the mouse used to shoot in a vs environment. Those games need separated game modes with controller for pc. Than they will work fine.

Melchiah

It's Microsoft.

Pure Chess has cross platform multiplayer across PS3, PS4. PS Vita, Wii U, 3DS, iOS and Android.

There is no Xbox version of Pure Chess.

Microsoft won't even allow online multiplayer across Xbox and PC unless the PC version is specifically sold through the Windows App Store.
The market for games on the Windows App Store is tiny compared to the rest of the market, especially Steam.

Microsoft's refusal to allow cross-platform play between Steam versions of games and Xbox versions of their games is why there are far more devs supporting PC > console crossplatform play on Playstation than there are on Xbox. Sony have no such policy regarding Steam.

I think this is fairly backwards thinking from MS, but those are their policies.

That's news to me. I had no idea they block Steam, and presumingly Origin and whatnot, that way.

Synth

PSU didn't have cross-platform multiplayer with the Xbox 360 version. It was not only on a separate server, but it's also the only version of the game with global servers.

I know it didn't have cross-platform play. However, like FFXI it bypassed Xbox Live to provide the service, resulting in a gold subscription not being required to play it. It's the only example other than FFXI I'm aware of.

papo

But then going by your analogy it would be as if Netflix and Hulu would want to share the same show. They each have their servers/service why would they want to have to use a 3rd party one and some other code when the one they have is better.

Same way I might be seeing it here, even if I am wrong. What you mentioned makes sense, but why would MS want to use other server and 3rd party code when they have their own great servers and first party code for online?

I still can't see any negative blame for MS here. It sucks but it is what it is.

Microsoft. Microsoft. Microsoft. Microsoft.

No for real though, Rocket League, FFXIV, and other notable cases will show you MS are the only people who are against crossplay if it involves any party outside PC.

Edit: I would add Nintendo as well to be fair, but at the same time, WiiU isn't exactly getting many multiplatform games with online components to begin with.

kavanf1

LOL at the "security" excuse.

Oh look, another one of those ignorant posts about "security".

Very valuable contributions, well done.

I'm not getting why you think that's so far fetched. Here's how these things tend to go: a proposal gets made by non-technical people (sales, marketing, relationship managers) representing the companies in question. They agree to look into it, pending a review by their subject matter experts to check if the proposal will be feasible in terms of the company policies and standards. There will be a minimum set of criteria that Microsoft will have (and they're MS, so these criteria will be lengthy, and specific, and if you don't meet the requirements, you generally have one of two options: either bring your product up to the minimum requirements they accept, or no deal). The relevant due diligence (including a review of security standards) is carried out and is found not to meet MS's requirements. (Interestingly, a refusal to answer can also count as not meeting requirements.) Ultimately, MS refuse the deal on that basis. Gamers and their desires don't feature in the decision, but they end up viewing the result as an intentional slight on them instead of a normal run of the mill unsuccessful assessment that happens every day in large corporations.

Again, I'm not saying this is how it happened. I just think it's better to discuss the complexities behind these things instead of the "herp derp, MS hate customers" stuff that gets trotted out. Clearly a lot of people have no idea.

Nafai1123

Banned
But then going by your analogy it would be as if Netflix and Hulu would want to share the same show. They each have their servers/service why would they want to have to use a 3rd party one and some other code when the one they have is better.

Same way I might be seeing it here, even if I am wrong. What you mentioned makes sense, but why would MS want to use other server and 3rd party code when they have their own great servers and first party code for online?

I still can't see any negative blame for MS here. It sucks but it is what it is.

MS has nothing to do with where the game is hosted, the developers do. Tons of games on XB1 use their own servers instead of Azure.

The Netflix/Hulu analogy is flawed as those companies solely provide and host the content available. MS/Sony don't.

Again, I'm not saying this is how it happened. I just think it's better to discuss the complexities behind these things instead of the "herp derp, MS hate customers" stuff that gets trotted out.

MS has been known for other anti-competitive actions and we flat out have devs quoted as saying they're the reason. It's hard to be open to your view on the matter when we have almost conclusive evidence of the reason why

otakukidd

You miss understood me cause mine was an example and not an analogy. Microsoft already allows you 3rd party servers and code when it allows you to use Netflix and hulu.they don't allow it with games. They get the blame when games start to not come to xbox or if those crossplatform games do have a much much smaller player base.

kavanf1

MS has been known for other anti-competitive actions and we flat out have devs quoted as saying they're the reason. It's hard to be open to your view on the matter when we have almost conclusive evidence of the reason why

I'm not disputing that MS are primarily responsible for it not happening, I've taken people's word for that. I'm pointing out the potential reasons for why they made that decision.

BraXzy

Can someone explain why it's Microsoft's fault? IIRC Shadowrun on the 360 was x-play with PC. Have they come out and said they don't want it? If anything I'd be expecting MS to push for alignment with PC, given that's where their strategy is headed.

No one in their right mind is going to openly admit they are actively not doing something that everyone is requesting. It'd be terribad PR :L

Armaros

No one in their right mind is going to openly admit they are actively not doing something that everyone is requesting. It'd be terribad PR :L

We do have MS PR try to place the blame on the third parities the wanting cross platform by saying its because of 'third party deals with competitors' like did they when trying to explainwhy FFXIV isn't on Xbox.

To echo pretty much everyone else and other developers... it's Microsoft.

About 4 years ago, I was working for a publisher that was releasing a multi-platform online shooter for PC, PS3, and Xbox 360. The initial plan for the game included cross-platform servers and cross-platform play. Sony didn't care. Microsoft said no. They scrapped cross-platform play altogether since they were going to need separate servers for the Xbox anyway and it would be easier to just maintain 3 separate communities with our current tech than to develop new cross-platform server architecture and authentication system that only 2 of the platforms used. Plus, the publisher didn't want to piss off Microsoft by having cross-platform play be a feature of only PC and PS3.

I would not be surprised if this happens with a lot of other titles who want cross-platform play, but just don't want to bother with it if you still need to setup Microsoft with their own closed system.

Microsoft. Microsoft. Microsoft. Microsoft.

No for real though, Rocket League, FFXIV, and other notable cases will show you MS are the only people who are against crossplay if it involves any party outside PC.

Edit: I would add Nintendo as well to be fair, but at the same time, WiiU isn't exactly getting many multiplatform games with online components to begin with.

Why would you add Nintendo to be fair? Is there an example of Nintendo not allowing crossplay?

Top Bottom