• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Modnation beta thread of low framerate awesomeness

HUELEN10

RagnarokX said:
How strange I just happen to run into you in a random online room. Too bad the connection crapped out. You don't unlock anything. Beta is as is.
Ah. BTW, It was my first run with the game online as well. I had a lot of fun, and wasn't that maze-race close or what! :lol

How do you select skin color though? I am trying to make some VG characters myself. Mainly, Princess Shokora, 9-volt, and Wentos...

RagnarokX

HUELEN10 said:
Ah. BTW, It was my first run with the game online as well. I had a lot of fun, and wasn't that maze-race close or what! :lol

How do you select skin color though? I am trying to make some VG characters myself. Mainly, Princess Shokora, 9-volt, and Wentos...
Skins and stickers. Press triangle until you get colors.

Mik2121

HUELEN10 said:

When you select skin and pattern, don't choose anything and instead just press triangle, it will show the color palette so you can chose any color from it.

Noshino

HUELEN10 said:

9-Volt seems to be possible, but I think Princess Shokora and Wentos would be a bit hard to make as there isn't really an item for her long hair, and also you can't resize hats :C

But I'll see if I can make them as I was working on a Sonic and Kon, but the fact that I can't change the material of certain "odd and ends" items pisses me off :lol

HUELEN10

Just finished my first character. She's first in a series of neglected Nintendo characters that I plan on doing.

Fresh from those pesky pizza commercials, Sal Out!
1561065d.jpg

0ff9bb19.jpg

97f70df5.jpg

It's so good that you'll start a fight!

Next up on the list is Friendly Floyd which I hope I am able to pull off with the beta. :lol

Seriously though, the game and its editor is fucking awesome. greatly exceeded my expectations.

EDIT: That's her smile and teeth, not lips. Hard to tell from the picture.

It would be great to see some more Nintendo characters getting the Modnation's treatment. :)

How are people taking screenshots from inside the creation station? I can't find the screenshot tool from inside there, and the character models are higher quality in there, better for showing off.

EXGN

Here's a couple of my Mods:

Monkey from Ape Escape:
modnation2.jpg

Scorpion from Mortal Kombat(Motor Kombat lives!):
modnation3.jpg

Takum in his AE86 from Initial D(used to love the show like 7 years ago):
modnationp.jpg

netguy503

Spike said:
Still trying to get into the beta. Anyone care enough to help me out?

The thing with snuggler didn't work out?

Check the online forum where I have a modnation racers code thread set up there. We have already got 10 people into the BETA that weren't there before (me included). Maybe you'll have success there too. :)

Spike

netguy503 said:
The thing with snuggler didn't work out?

Check the online forum where I have a modnation racers code thread set up there. We have already got 10 people into the BETA that weren't there before (me included). Maybe you'll have success there too. :)

Didn't work out. Thanks for the help!

netguy503

Spike said:
Thank you so much!

Anyone who gets a code, please set up a dummy account BEFORE you input the code and input it on the dummy account. That way we can take care of 5 GAFFer's instead of one. IE: We just had 5 people ask for a code. They ALL could have been covered if someone was nice enough. Thanks.

see5harp

I really like the character editor so far. It seems to be the best thing going for this game. Framerate and driving is just really off putting right now. Is there any way to make it so you only see your friends in the hub like in Fable 2?

HUELEN10

see5harp said:
I really like the character editor so far. It seems to be the best thing going for this game. Framerate and driving is just really off putting right now. Is there any way to make it so you only see your friends in the hub like in Fable 2?
In the beta, I do not believe so. :(

HUELEN10

netguy503 said:
no. no more unlocks until a further version of the beta comes out or the full retail game.
Even with the limitation, I am amazed at how much you can do with this game customization-wise as-is! It is amazing!

Captain N

my other questions would be..

can you download anyone else creations in terms of racers and race cars..

..and how do you do stunts?

HUELEN10

Captain N said:
my other questions would be..

can you download anyone else creations in terms of racers and race cars..

..and how do you do stunts?
Stunts are done after a jump with the right stick. It's not that easy though. You can download only shit that people have put up for downloading, and even then there is no guarantee of it being able to be remixed to your pleasure, as the creator has all control over that.

For example, I haven't, and won't share my mod. I might share the kart though, but I will make it so that it cannot be remixed.

Darkpen

Banned
Just saw the walkthrough on the PS Blog.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFf

Why aren't like... half of those features available in the beta? Moving platforms? Fall-off tracks? Potential half-pipe stuff?

Arraggghhghg

Unicorn

I'm really interested in this, but have no way to get into the beta. I posted in the account sharing thread, but I'm pretty sure it died.

Any other way to get a hold of the beta?

JardeL

OMG @ Track Editor. I'm too lazy to create a level in LBP but this editor makes everything too easy so I'll try. Actually I've already published a track , tried to create a track similar to Istanbul Park. But failed at sharp turns , is there a way to make?

noisome07

Banned
Deadmau5, my first "real" creation :p Ears are a bit off but I'll touch it up some more tomorrow.

http://i45.tinypic.com/m8lnc2.jpg[IMG]

Also, is there a way to keep your character from moving when you're working on it? When I was making the ears he would constantly look around :( Got a bit irritating.

EDIT:

Decided to hop back on and finish it up. Deadmau5 Final:

[IMG]http://i49.tinypic.com/23ro8ci.jpg

Tiktaalik

JardeL said:
OMG @ Track Editor. I'm too lazy to create a level in LBP but this editor makes everything too easy so I'll try. Actually I've already published a track , tried to create a track similar to Istanbul Park. But failed at sharp turns , is there a way to make?

Ultra sharp right angle turns seem very difficult to make. The only thing I could recommend is to go very, very slow on the turn as it seems like you can turn sharper that way.

TheFallen

autobzooty said:
How are people taking screenshots from inside the creation station? I can't find the screenshot tool from inside there, and the character models are higher quality in there, better for showing off.
There's an option to take screenshots when you are at the mod/racer load list in the creation station. That's how I did it anyway.

RagnarokX

New track: Island Hop 2 - ArgorokX

In this sequel track the jumps and floating barges return. This track is composed of two paths that span from start to finish:

MODNATION_1.jpg

Leaping to the second island from the upper path. The upper path lies on the outside of the lower path. It has fewer twists and turns and many boost pads, but no guard rails to keep you from going over that cliff if your steering is poor.

MODNATION_2.jpg

A set of jumps on the upper path.

MODNATION_3.jpg

Smashing through a large barn on the upper path to plummet into the water below.

MODNATION_8.jpg

To spice up the lower path, you have to make it through hoops like this one.

MODNATION_9.jpg

Towards the end of the lower path, the road ends and diverges into two narrow water channels. Right path is wider and has item pods, left path is narrower and has boost pads and...

MODNATION_10-1.jpg

...a jump between bridges.

xintin

Is there anyway to get into the same ModSpot as someone on your friend's list? I keep inviting and it doesn't work :(

obaidr

Banned
played a long session yesterday and this game is really really fun. Also made a great new char. So far I did not see many really outstanding tracks. LPB levels are much much better then what we got here yet but we will probably get more stuff when the game is done. Besides played some online races and everything went very well. Cant wait for the final release.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I also played a lot more last night.

Made a lizard/dragon mod I shared, pretty cool and nifty creation system. Its going to be insane when all the options are available.

Played a really neat corkscrew track, where you climb a corkscrew and then jump off the top and do tricks. You can slide the whole thing, for nearly 40k points. It just needs a reverse option to go down the screw.

Also love that you can camber tracks, so sometimes you can just take the turn without sliding and be faster through the apex if you know how. Or you can make it flat and then sliding is better.

Also, I really like the upgrade paths for weapons. It adds to the strategy of weapons because you don't just spam a weak weapon every time you get it just so you can get another one at the next bulbs.

Some feedback:

- when pressing [] to pull up a character's info, make the default that person's profile not their creations.
- when pulling up any radial menu, let us use the d-pad or left stick or right stick to go directly to the option we want on the radial menu, not use left right to cycle on the circle. The whole point of radial is instant access to any option, otherwise it might as well be a drop down menu we have to scroll through.
- when rating like/dislike, have one more step in each direction. Really dislike, dislike, neutral, like, really like. There are some tracks I played that I really like and are "finished" then some that have good ideas, but are slightly unpolished. They are both better than neutral, but not the same level of "like".

JWong

Banned
You guys have tips for drifting?

I can't get it... seems like it turns too sharp and I can't countersteer as I would in other arcade/kart racing games.

AndyD

aka andydumi
JWong said:
You guys have tips for drifting?

I can't get it... seems like it turns too sharp and I can't countersteer as I would in other arcade/kart racing games.

You can countersteer just fine. Its just that you wont go straight even at full countersteer. The point i noticed is that if the track is angled, the physics will help you take that turn naturally any way so you dont need to slide. So on a well designed cambered track, there is hardly any sliding.

Play that corkscrew level I mentioned above. It has screw in the name. It will help you get a feel for what you can and cannot do with sliding, since you slide for about 45 seconds in one go.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
AndyD said:
- when pulling up any radial menu, let us use the d-pad or left stick or right stick to go directly to the option we want on the radial menu, not use left right to cycle on the circle. The whole point of radial is instant access to any option, otherwise it might as well be a drop down menu we have to scroll through.

Isn't that what happens if you use the analog stick, though? The D-pad just cycles through the options (which makes sense, since it would be harder to select the right option otherwise, and it would also limit the options to 8 - though I'm not sure if any menu has more than that), but I believe the analog stick actually lets you pick an option right away by just "pointing" at it. I haven't played the beta for a week or so, though, so I might be wrong here.

AndyD said:
You can countersteer just fine. Its just that you wont go straight even at full countersteer. The point i noticed is that if the track is angled, the physics will help you take that turn naturally any way so you dont need to slide. So on a well designed cambered track, there is hardly any sliding.

Play that corkscrew level I mentioned above. It has screw in the name. It will help you get a feel for what you can and cannot do with sliding, since you slide for about 45 seconds in one go.

Well... You'll still want to drift even if you don't actually have to, since drifting earns you boost power.

Top Bottom