• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift available for preorder for $599.99, shipping in March

what's with the "rip vr" comments? this was always going to be niche just because of the system requirements, it'll sell well with an audience that's less price sensitive.

vr was never going to go mainstream until a few years down the line when mid-range computers are better and they've driven down the headset cost.

People predicting $300 for PSVR are probably deluding themselves too.

As are people saying that this is a 'profitable' cost. Sure, if you think there are only manufacturing costs involved in something like this. There's a lot of R+D to recoup here before it starts making money.

Caayn

$600 is along the lines of what I expected. But holy hell why do you have to charge €700 (that's $750 fucking dollars) where I live and don't even have the decency to include shipping >.>

fred

Idiots. Should be $500 at the most. Going to be interesting to see what HTC do now. Making it the same price with their controllers included will make the Oculus Rift a flop.

Anyone know the UK price yet..?

Steel

Banned
At that price and with the weird compatibility test coming up and saying that my USB 3.0 ports aren't good enough(wah?) I think I'll adopt a wait and see approach.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
So assuming the VR headset costs $600 and a computer beefy enough to operate it is probably a little under $1000 you're looking at a $1500 entry price?

Yikes.

699€

jC9DD8u.gif

Wow $599 was bad but this is a straight-up joke. Dead on arrival in regions where it's priced like that.

dkeane

Expected, but still insane. Especially when you consider the hardware you need to run it and the additional controllers later this year. Made my decision to wait easier though.

Something went wrong. Please try again.

C'MON.

Galava

Seeing how the dedicated GAF gamers are abandoning boat, the average consumer won't even think about buying this thing. byebye oculus

FUCK. That's a pretty expensive start for VR.

But Sony could do their hero thing again and announce PSVR for $299.

Judging by the costs of Oculus, Sony would only do this if they're willing to either take a massive loss up front or sell a wildly inferior product.

AKA, it's going to be almost just as expensive.

Top Bottom